Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on our new LB tandum

Indeee

Heres the deal. Im gonna go ahead and trust Griggs and Paggs on this decision, however if anyone is going to tell me that Mathis and Walden is stronger than Mathis and Avril.. Im saying your Nutz!!

Chiefs didn't want him, Cowboys dint want him and Packers didn't want him enough to keep this guy cause he's so great in depth role, than Why would we think he's such a diamond in the ruff..

I seriously am shocked..

Yea.. tell Landry to take a walk too. Go get Benard Pollard. Landry might hit the snot outa ya but he gets burnt in pass coverage way too often and we are in the passing conference. Sign Pollard!!

You just described Bernard Pollard.

No I describe Landry. i live in DC area and seen way too much Landry for my liking. Don't get me wrong, when healthy he will crush you on hits, but is horrible in pass coverage. And pollard to me might have benefitted from reed but i think Pollard is better. IMO

You just described Bernard Pollard.

Landry can be suspect in coverage too. He can worry so much about the big hit that he may not play disciplined. He did after all play with the Redskins and Jets, habits die hard. Bernard Pollard had those traits too that the Ravens minimized, probably more so because he played alongside strong personalities like Ed Reed that kept his assignments in check.

Having said that, I just need to go back and look at how Ladarius Webb was transformed with Pagano's secondary coaches at Baltimore. Similarly, inculcating such discipline gets out the most from Laron Landry too.

I posted this in another thread and since the OP talked about the LB tandem, I will post it here too.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/09/2013-team-needs-green-bay-packers/

It says:

Outside Linebacker

At first I didn’t want to include this position as a free agent need because of Nick Perry’s impending return. Then I watched Erik Walden run downfield in pursuit of an empty-handed LaMichael James and I realized this situation has to be addressed. Walden has had the worst grade among all 3-4 outside linebackers by a wide margin each of the past two seasons. Dezman Moses was the next option in line, but the rookie quite often looked undersized and overmatched. To leave this position up to the hope that Perry develops into a starter would be irresponsible. If Perry or Clay Matthews were to suffer an injury next season, Green Bay would be left with a huge hole that opposing offenses will target.

My statement:

Apparently, their problems started to mount when Clay Mathews went down with an injury and Walden had to be an every down OLB when Nick Perry went down too. See for yourself in the NFC playoff game vs 49ers, how Eric Walden blew that play with the score tied at 24-24 (look at 4:50 mark)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000125589/GameDay-Packers-vs-49ers-highlights

(Look closely at 4:50 mark)

The last 2 plays when the 49ers punched it in to get to 45 pts, a FB named Bruce Miller (jersey #49, 250 lbs) gets a lock on Walden that Walden is not able to shed for 2 consecutive running plays. (around 7:30 mark)

I am certain Grigson watched enough film to overlook these mistakes but I am just presenting what I have.

When it is all said and done, I do think the pros will overpower the cons with Walden, I feel.

No I describe Landry. i live in DC area and seen way too much Landry for my liking. Don't get me wrong, when healthy he will crush you on hits, but is horrible in pass coverage. And pollard to me might have benefitted from reed but i think Pollard is better. IMO

bethea would move back center field if we signed landry with him playing closer to the box

Heres the deal. Im gonna go ahead and trust Griggs and Paggs on this decision, however if anyone is going to tell me that Mathis and Walden is stronger than Mathis and Avril.. Im saying your Nutz!!

Chiefs didn't want him, Cowboys dint want him and Packers didn't want him enough to keep this guy cause he's so great in depth role, than Why would we think he's such a diamond in the ruff..

I seriously am shocked..

Avril would STINK at setting the edge, he is NOT a Tackler, stink in space, and cost enough for three players.

A horrible fit for us and you want him?

Avril is a beast. And lest I remind everyone what truly makes the secondary in a 3-4. The pass rush!!.. The better the pass rush/collapsing pockets the better our corners and safeties can succeed or cover weaknesses. You believe Walden is going to command that kind of pressure? I hope so but doubt it.. Reason last year vaughn looked so bad and powers at times and even davis until he got more familiar is that our pass rush stunk!! IMO we have done nothing to improve that. I hope Im wrong

and one more thing. I dont get where Irsay comes out and says Old, hurt guys we didnt want to go for. Waght??!!

last I read cherilous coming off knee surgeries, toller has been Injury prone and Landry has been too.. None of this makes any sense..

noone said we had to sign every big name on the block but for the first time in 15 years of having a crud load of money to come away with this garbage bunch is ridiculous. I dont care what Griggs is talking about. I would rather have a guy whos proven to be successful and still in his prime than some guy screaming a Fogherty song.. Put me in coach, Im ready to platy today.. put me in coach look at me i can be.. .... Come on seriously

Key phrase bolded & underlined.

I posted this in another thread and since the OP talked about the LB tandem, I will post it here too.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/09/2013-team-needs-green-bay-packers/

It says:

Outside Linebacker

At first I didn’t want to include this position as a free agent need because of Nick Perry’s impending return. Then I watched Erik Walden run downfield in pursuit of an empty-handed LaMichael James and I realized this situation has to be addressed. Walden has had the worst grade among all 3-4 outside linebackers by a wide margin each of the past two seasons. Dezman Moses was the next option in line, but the rookie quite often looked undersized and overmatched. To leave this position up to the hope that Perry develops into a starter would be irresponsible. If Perry or Clay Matthews were to suffer an injury next season, Green Bay would be left with a huge hole that opposing offenses will target.

My statement:

Apparently, their problems started to mount when Clay Mathews went down with an injury and Walden had to be an every down OLB when Nick Perry went down too. See for yourself in the NFC playoff game vs 49ers, how Eric Walden blew that play with the score tied at 24-24 (look at 4:50 mark)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000125589/GameDay-Packers-vs-49ers-highlights

(Look closely at 4:50 mark)

The last 2 plays when the 49ers punched it in to get to 45 pts, a FB named Bruce Miller (jersey #49, 250 lbs) gets a lock on Walden that Walden is not able to shed for 2 consecutive running plays. (around 7:30 mark)

I am certain Grigson watched enough film to overlook these mistakes but I am just presenting what I have.

When it is all said and done, I do think the pros will overpower the cons with Walden, I feel.

I do not like it the second time either...:)  

Like I said yesterday.....different eyes see different things.  Walden will seal the edge whereas Freeney never could grasp the concept...Mathis as well.....but they were DEs.  Still hard to get it out of the system as a pass rushing DE....

I still like reading the good and bad comments...I like what you bolded.....I am with ya on that!!!

I scratched my head at the signings yesterday at the least i thought we would make a move for kruger or levitre.  We went with 5 barely known players and given the statement that teams can get lost in the big name sizzle.  I think our D could have used some of that sizzle in battle tested and proven veterans.  whats more is we let Donnie Avery walk and sign with the Chiefs a reapeat of garcon to the Redskins

I scratched my head at the signings yesterday at the least i thought we would make a move for kruger or levitre.  We went with 5 barely known players and given the statement that teams can get lost in the big name sizzle.  I think our D could have used some of that sizzle in battle tested and proven veterans.  whats more is we let Donnie Avery walk and sign with the Chiefs a reapeat of garcon to the Redskins

That is the least of my concerns because Avery's upside was not even close to what Garcon's was and his production wasn't close either to that of an experienced vet, Avery was a stop gap for us. T.Y.Hilton is the future and I am sure we will be better off with whoever we bring in through the draft and/or free agency.

Yea.. tell Landry to take a walk too. Go get Benard Pollard. Landry might hit the snot outa ya but he gets burnt in pass coverage way too often and we are in the passing conference. Sign Pollard!!

Why doesn't anyone want Pollard? Read about him, what he brings on the field apparently isn't worth the grief he brings off the field.

Grigs wants his type of player, and he wants his type of man to represent the Colts.

That is the least of my concerns because Avery's upside was not even close to what Garcon's was and his production wasn't close either to that of an experienced vet, Avery was a stop gap for us. T.Y.Hilton is the future and I am sure we will be better off with whoever we bring in through the draft and/or free agency.

TY was already surpassing Avery by the end of the season. No great loss.

Landry was hands down the most physically gifted and arguably the best player on the Skins D after Sean Taylor passed away. Some may say London Fletcher or Brianven Orakpo but it was Landry. He was loved by Skins fans until he refused to have surgery on his injured achilles.

When Taylor died they tried to make Landry play the role of a center fielded which clearly he isn't and won't be here in Indy. He will be spending most of his time in the box and knocking the crap out of recievers over the middle.

and one more thing. I dont get where Irsay comes out and says Old, hurt guys we didnt want to go for. Waght??!!

last I read cherilous coming off knee surgeries, toller has been Injury prone and Landry has been too.. None of this makes any sense..

noone said we had to sign every big name on the block but for the first time in 15 years of having a crud load of money to come away with this garbage bunch is ridiculous. I dont care what Griggs is talking about. I would rather have a guy whos proven to be successful and still in his prime than some guy screaming a Fogherty song.. Put me in coach, Im ready to platy today.. put me in coach look at me i can be.. .... Come on seriously

I wouldn't call them Garbage when they have not even played a snap for us. Its way to early to make that call. I too am suspect of the Walden signing, from what I hear about him he stinks. But Im leaving the evaluation up to Grigs cause I dont know a quarter of what he does. Now the other guys especially the two linemen have proven before to be effective. Yes thier is injury concerns but almost any player now a days has some sorta injury. Alot of people liked Louis Vasquez on here and yet I just read the article on him signing with the broncos and how much he's been injured. So he might not have been that safe of bet either. You never know with the Injury thing. Plus with our luck on injuries we could get a player who's been healthy his whole career and comes to us and gets hurt. We seem to have very bad luck in that department. I'm praying that plauge does not hit us hard again this year.

I really like Landry and what he has done over his career.

At one point he was one of the top safeties in the game, problem was, he was with the Redskins.

And he fell into the lap of the Jets and played very well and I am surprised he didn't get a contract from the Jets.

Landry may need work in pass coverage but I don't know a single player on any team that doesn't have at least one flaw. The guy knows how to play and plays well in the box, which is what we desperately needed last year.

Walden will probably be average and I just can't believe that Walden is going to start over Hughes.

Why doesn't anyone want Pollard? Read about him, what he brings on the field apparently isn't worth the grief he brings off the field.

Grigs wants his type of player, and he wants his type of man to represent the Colts.

Pollard is a locker room headache.