Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cjrulli

Mathis R.OLB, Walden LOLB, RT 2nd highest paid

Irsay tweets

@JimIrsay: We like Castonzo-Cherilus OT bookends n with #98 Mathis going 2 RT OLB pass rusher,his perfect fit,Walden coming n2 hold the edge at L.OLB

@JimIrsay: Great 1st day in FA!Spent 90 million dollars yesterday!Won the Cherilus right OT bidding,which makes him the 2nd Highest paid Right OT n NFL

so no more olb's going to be signed then? I hope they sign another good/decent guard at least

well there still reports saying we're still interested in avril

Mike Chappell @mchappell51 Just exchanged texts with someone who should know and was told#colts not in play at this point for Cliff Avril. I trust the voice.

I posted this idea in another thread. Now this makes more sense but I still think we paid too much

Good call, I saw that earlier today.

Ok I'm lost...... are we moving Mathis to the other side???

Yes, though I doubt it's as simple as that, we saw multiple lineups last year for our OLBs.

yes mathis is moving to ROLB

Ok, I didn't see many of our games. But when I did, he was on that side sooo I don't understand that

Ok, I didn't see many of our games. But when I did, he was on that side sooo I don't understand that

See my post above.

See my post above.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Like Mathis was all over the place last year. So does that mean he's going permanently to that side or what??

Mike Chappell @mchappell51 Just exchanged texts with someone who should know and was told#colts not in play at this point for Cliff Avril. I trust the voice.

Good, now we can focus on Francois, Landry, and another guard possibly.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Like Mathis was all over the place last year. So does that mean he's going permanently to that side or what??

It's a depth chart thing, and a role thing. He will basically be a pure pass rusher now, whilst last year, he dropped into coverage occasionally and set the edge. Those things will by Walden's job now who seems to be a more rounded player.

Good, now we can focus on Francois, Landry, and another guard possibly.

The way we have gone so far, I really don't think we can rule out a WR.

I won't rule it out, but IMO I hope we don't.

It's a depth chart thing, and a role thing. He will basically be a pure pass rusher now, whilst last year, he dropped into coverage occasionally and set the edge. Those things will by Walden's job now who seems to be a more rounded player.

Aww man, I was hoping to see Mathis catch another interception. I never thought I'd see that day haha

So we are moving Mathis, who was already under contract, to where he can be most effective as Rush LB and picked up a FA who is good at setting the edge to play the other side. Sounds like a good job of improving the D by using what we got and making low-cost, effective moves. And the FO is stupid according to many? Hmmmmm...

I was against this as well but the more I review the dropped passes against the Ravens the more I want a wr with solid hands.

doesn't

it doesn't all have to be spent this year.

Not all of it, but don't want to leave $25 million (guessing) on the table either. We've still got the draft coming up, but we should have plenty of cap to go out and get more low cost players. 

I was against this as well but the more I review the dropped passes against the Ravens the more I want a wr with solid hands.

I'm not worried about the dropped passes. We had rookie receivers that were constantly hurried to get in their routes because of a poor O-line and our QB had to hurry all his throws. With an improved O-line and receivers in their 2nd yrs., all those dropped passes go away, or at least improves dramatically.

I don't know... I like LaVon Brazill but I don't think he's ready to be a routine #3. And who is #4, Kris Adams? I get that a good #4 receiver isn't a huge need, but how many teams have three receivers playing 16 full games? 

Not all of it, but don't want to leave $25 million (guessing) on the table either. We've still got the draft coming up, but we should have plenty of cap to go out and get more low cost players. 

They also have some current players in the last year of their contracts that they have to resign, Vontae Davis comes to mind and a couple more I believe so they can't spend as much as you think.

what wr's are available that are really an up grade over Avery??? Ammendola???

Not necessarily. It simply means that Mathis is going to be given the freedom to be the designated "rush" LB'er. Walden will be in coverage more. The only reason Mathis had to be the drop back backer is because DFree93 can't cover to save his life haha

Yesterday Irsay stated the plane was packed with $100 million, so does that mean we only have $10 million more to play with? :scratch:  

Irsay tweets

@JimIrsay: We like Castonzo-Cherilus OT bookends n with #98 Mathis going 2 RT OLB pass rusher,his perfect fit,Walden coming n2 hold the edge at L.OLB

@JimIrsay: Great 1st day in FA!Spent 90 million dollars yesterday!Won the Cherilus right OT bidding,which makes him the 2nd Highest paid Right OT n NFL

I don't know... I like LaVon Brazill but I don't think he's ready to be a routine #3. And who is #4, Kris Adams? I get that a good #4 receiver isn't a huge need, but how many teams have three receivers playing 16 full games? 

Adams is on the Giants now. We won't know if Brazill is ready unless we give him the opportunity. 

Not necessarily. It simply means that Mathis is going to be given the freedom to be the designated "rush" LB'er. Walden will be in coverage more. The only reason Mathis had to be the drop back backer is because DFree93 can't cover to save his life haha.

Mathis caught a Pick!!! I hope we don't take him completely out of Coverage plays

i doubt it will be an established "name" wr. but

i think they bring someone in

Adams is on the Giants now. We won't know if Brazill is ready unless we give him the opportunity. 

Is he?! Missed that. Okay then, Nathan Palmer #4, even more need for depth. I really do think we need more there... either through FA or the draft. Very happy with Wayne and Hilton though. 

There are rumors that Welker wants to come here. He's 32 and a small slot receiver, we already have several guys on the roster just like him. I hope we don't make that mistake. I have said for 2 months, that if we must sign a WR, I want Ramses Barden. He's raw, but does have good experience and brings a different dimension to our receivers.

Mathis caught a Pick!!! I hope we don't take him completely out of Coverage plays

We won't. Like someone stated above, there will be a lot of different looks. My thought is just that we wanted to get Mathis back to what he does best, eating QB's for breakfast...

Yesterday Irsay stated the plane was packed with $100 million, so does that mean we only have $10 million more to play with? :scratch:  

Not necessarily. Just need to re-fuel.

Also, all of this is guess work at this time, as we have no idea how the contacts are structured.

Is he?! Missed that. Okay then, Nathan Palmer #4, even more need for depth. I really do think we need more there... either through FA or the draft. Very happy with Wayne and Hilton though. 

Right now I see it with...Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, Palmer, Whalen/Sambrano, and Kelly.

They also have some current players in the last year of their contracts that they have to resign, Vontae Davis comes to mind and a couple more I believe so they can't spend as much as you think.

There will also be a lot of cuts when training camp comes around and we narrow the roster down to 53. 

Next years Colts FA's : 

Pat McAfee

Vontae Davis

Kavell Conner

Antoine Bethea

Joe Lefeged

Jeff Linkenbach

Scott Lutrus

Mike McGlynn

Fili Moala

Donald Brown

Sergio Brown

Clifton Geathers

Josh Gordy

Joe Reitz

Weslye Saunders

Lawrence Guy

Kellen Heard

Martin Tevaseu

Justin Hickman

Cassius Vaughn

Adam Vinatieri

Pat Angerer

Now how many of those guys do you believe are gonna last to be resigned or at least be considered to be resigned. McAfee, Conner/Angerer and Davis maybe? The rest are expendable. We can afford to push the cap this year...just like every NFL team does every year.

i doubt it will be an established "name" wr. but

i think they bring someone in

right, i guess only moves I have questioned so far in FA is letting Winston & Avery walk...

thought they were at least decent depth guys...

I guess Winston got his bell rung alot last season, don't understand letting Avery walk just to bring in a lower tier WR, unless I guess its a guy that they think can produce, just not sure whos out there at this point...