Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a WR

bobourret

They still should have plenty of cap room left.  Not sure how they will utilize it, if they pick up more defenders I could see us going O.  I have no flipping clue, this organization is unpredictable.  It wouldn't surprise me if they drafted any position in the first other than a QB or special teams only guy.

Indeed we should use the first in a WR

There is Close to Elite Talent, it is a need.. or will be soon.. Reggie is a beast.. but also 34 years old, will be 35 mid season.. so.. if he gets hurt.. we'll need a #1 and we don't have a #2 right now.. TY is a slot.

I like DeAndre Hopkins, I like what i saw from Keenan Allen tape too.. great hands.. good size, not really speedy.. but you know.. enough to get open.

From how FA is going, i'd say probably Jets, Rams, Tennesse and maybe Viks may also target WR in the first.

Indeed we should use the first in a WR

There is Close to Elite Talent, it is a need.. or will be soon.. Reggie is a beast.. but also 34 years old, will be 35 mid season.. so.. if he gets hurt.. we'll need a #1 and we don't have a #2 right now.. TY is a slot.

I like DeAndre Hopkins, I like what i saw from Keenan Allen tape too.. great hands.. good size, not really speedy.. but you know.. enough to get open.

From how FA is going, i'd say probably Jets, Rams, Tennesse and maybe Viks may also target WR in the first.

Keenan Allen was shutdown vs Texas in the Holiday Bowl. Take Deandre Hopkins. Never take a WR that Texas straps haha

After these pick ups today. I think we will draft deandra Hopkins in the first round

I like Deandre Hopkins and Keenan Allen as possible wr options.

BUT it's something about Tavon Austin that makes me believe he can be the biggest steal in the entire draft! He just has Game Breaker all over him in my eyes.

BUT it's something about Tavon Austin that makes me believe he can be the biggest steal in the entire draft! He just has Game Breaker all over him in my eyes.

His size though is similar to Hilton and Wallace.  I don't think he can be a #1 in this league.  He's got skills to get open but i don't think he can take a hit across the middle.

His size though is similar to Hilton and Wallace.  I don't think he can be a #1 in this league.  He's got skills to get open but i don't think he can take a hit across the middle.

Wallace is 3 inches taller and about 20 lbs heavier than Hilton

Not many recievers can take a hit across the middle..but I think he would be Very effective in his own verson of a Wes Welker/Percy Harvin type roll.

Keenan Allen was shutdown vs Texas in the Holiday Bowl. Take Deandre Hopkins. Never take a WR that Texas straps haha

Allen was hurt for the last third of Cal's season.   His injury (I think it's a nagging knee thing) is what caused him to skip the combine.

I'm not sold yet on Allen being a legit #1 or a very good #2.    I suspect he's more of the latter.   But this is a very good draft for quality WR's.    Nobody great, but lots of very good WR's...

Allen was hurt for the last third of Cal's season. His injury (I think it's a nagging knee thing) is what caused him to skip the combine.

I'm not sold yet on Allen being a legit #1 or a very good #2. I suspect he's more of the latter. But this is a very good draft for quality WR's. Nobody great, but lots of very good WR's...

They played Texas the season before the one that just ended. He was healthy

There's a few WR's I really like that grade out from the range of our first-third rounder. Most will probably be 2nd rounders, but we may need to spend our first to land them. There's also a chance one of them's there for our 3rd rounder.Hopkins is definitely one of them, quite possibly at the top of the list.

The others: Hunter,  Swope, Harper, Wheaton, and Quinton Patton. 

If Grigson and co feel the best player at 24 is a WR, then they should definitely consider drafting that WR. But really, it could be anyone.

Let's say WR DeAndre Hopkins and G Jonathan Cooper are both there. Who do you pick? I'd say Cooper, even though we have Thomas, Ijalana (potential starter), McGlynn, Reitz and Shipley (who can also play guard), since I consider Cooper the better player.

It's really all about going best player available regardless of position need. We still have many needs, so it doesn't make sense drafting purely for need.

If Lane Johnson by a wild chance is there, I wouldn't care that we have both Castonzo and Cherilus.. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

We already have 2 fast little short guys in TY and Brazil. Hopkins can line up on the outside

I don't see us taking a WR with a first round pick. But with recent signings, I think we take a WR someplace in the draft.

We did end up getting Hilton and Brazil later in the draft. I can see us doing the same this year.

I would hope they do this, but the rumor is they want to find Wayne's replacement so he has two years to learn behind Wayne and I don't know if you can find a replacement to wayne that late in the draft.  I'm kinda hoping Patterson from tennessee falls to us.

I would hope they do this, but the rumor is they want to find Wayne's replacement so he has two years to learn behind Wayne and I don't know if you can find a replacement to wayne that late in the draft.  I'm kinda hoping Patterson from tennessee falls to us.

Well If they are looking for Wayne's replacement, then yes, a guy from the first round makes sense.

It isn't always the case but we could be able to grab a good WR with our late 1st pick.

Well If they are looking for Wayne's replacement, then yes, a guy from the first round makes sense.

It isn't always the case but we could be able to grab a good WR with our late 1st pick.

I think there will still be guys their.  I would hope its someone like Patterson or Allen who have some size to them and not someone like Austin who I feel is a carbin copy of Hilton.

I really doubt Patterson falls to 24.