Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A new QB in Cleve?

PrincetonTiger

Mike Lombardi has been really high on Mallett.  Personally, depending on what they give up, I think this could be a big mistake.  It's like what happened with Kolb or Cassel.  You don't have enough film on the guy to make a reliable judgement, but you take a leap of faith.  Many times, those leaps of faith end up with you getting fired.  Cleveland is such a mess.

And so the QB turns......in cleveland........again. That franchise has become a joke, They change QB's. as much as I change bed sheets. Maybe if they had some actual talent at WR then they would get somewhere READ THIS LOMBARDI......who I was never high on at all at the NFL Network....Bold prediction......within 3 years he is fired

Mike Lombardi has been really high on Mallett.  Personally, depending on what they give up, I think this could be a big mistake.  It's like what happened with Kolb or Cassel.  You don't have enough film on the guy to make a reliable judgement, but you take a leap of faith.  Many times, those leaps of faith end up with you getting fired.  Cleveland is such a mess.

To be fair, nobody has ever questioned Mallet's talent. Unlike Kolb and Cassel, Mallet could have been an early draft pick but he was a head case. He seems to have that under control after a couple yrs. in NE. Mallet has 10 times the talent as Kolb and Cassel put together.

Cleveland is the biggest mess in the NFL. They ended up just wasting a first round pick on a 29 year old that had no business being drafted at all.

Just when you think they will get on a roll, they have a GM firing or coach firing and they have to start all over again.

To be fair, nobody has ever questioned Mallet's talent. Unlike Kolb and Cassel, Mallet could have been an early draft pick but he was a head case. He seems to have that under control after a couple yrs. in NE. Mallet has 10 times the talent as Kolb and Cassel put together.

true 

What was it about Mallet? I never have heard any specifics and he seemed fairly bright when interviewed.

This is true.  Well said.

Cleveland is the biggest mess in the NFL. They ended up just wasting a first round pick on a 29 year old that had no business being drafted at all.

Just when you think they will get on a roll, they have a GM firing or coach firing and they have to start all over again.

Holmgren was a bad hire, Shurmer was a bad hire, they made a mistake trading up to get Richardson since I think they could have gotten him at 4 even though Minny claimed teams were looking to move up.  With all those draft picks they got from Atlanta, they should be doing way better

What was it about Mallet? I never have heard any specifics and he seemed fairly bright when interviewed.

I can't remember everything, there were several instances if I remember correctly. Mostly attitude and smoking dope I think.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ryan-mallett?id=2495443

Mallett has the arm strength and size of a franchise NFL quarterback but still needs to continue to develop his accuracy and decision-making consistency. Can drive the ball down field and hit the deep out. When drop mechanics are sound, shows the ability to stick the ball into tiny windows. Has played in pro-style systems and understands reads and progressions but is still prone to taking some risks. Release is natural and over-the-top. Exhibits leadership qualities on the field but front offices will want to further investigate his character and ability to take coaching. Mallett's a really enticing package and will likely come off the board in round one.

The major knocks on him coming out of college were that he isn't very athletic (I think he ran a 5.00 40 or something), accuracy could be improved, and has some character issues.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ryan-mallett?id=2495443

Mallett has the arm strength and size of a franchise NFL quarterback but still needs to continue to develop his accuracy and decision-making consistency. Can drive the ball down field and hit the deep out. When drop mechanics are sound, shows the ability to stick the ball into tiny windows. Has played in pro-style systems and understands reads and progressions but is still prone to taking some risks. Release is natural and over-the-top. Exhibits leadership qualities on the field but front offices will want to further investigate his character and ability to take coaching. Mallett's a really enticing package and will likely come off the board in round one.

The major knocks on him coming out of college were that he isn't very athletic (I think he ran a 5.00 40 or something), accuracy could be improved, and has some character issues.

But what were the character issues? Nobody ever really said. Just seemed all the knocks against him were kinda vague

But what were the character issues? Nobody ever really said. Just seemed all the knocks against him were kinda vague

This was part of it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryan-mallett-s-drug-admission-shocker

Plus I heard he was just very hard to get along with, didn't take well to coaching.

Here's more.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/qb-ryan-mallett-carries-a-lot-of-baggage-he-could-/nLrs4/

Aside from lack of accuracy and awful decisions on the field, he is an * off the field. Attitude issues, not a leader. Also had drug problems. I wouldn't expect Cleveland to keep him under control. BB can, but he's different that some failed OC Cleveland hired.

Aside from lack of accuracy and awful decisions on the field, he is an * off the field. Attitude issues, not a leader. Also had drug problems. I wouldn't expect Cleveland to keep him under control. BB can, but he's different that some failed OC Cleveland hired.

While I don't watch college ball, I've seen articles saying his sideline demeanor and his body language after throwing a pick were questionable.  Those have probably changed under Brady and Belichick.  But take away those two and Mallet could revert back to his old ways..."could" being the key word

This is true.  Well said.

Holmgren was a bad hire, Shurmer was a bad hire, they made a mistake trading up to get Richardson since I think they could have gotten him at 4 even though Minny claimed teams were looking to move up.  With all those draft picks they got from Atlanta, they should be doing way better

Cleveland has had bad hire's since they made the decision to go with Mike Schula instead of Bill Cowher. Or you can even go back to getting rid of Paul Brown.

Come on, give a QB 3 yrs in an offense. There is a reason teams give QBs 5 yrs.

We berated Eli and Flacco their first few years. Then, in year 4, Eli wins a SB and Flacco wins a SB in year 5. It all boils down to how well and quickly you can assemble the talent around you. Greg Little was dropping passes left and right, they traded away Kellen Winslow, and had to reach for a supplemental draft pick to get a WR worth anything.

Draft well for a couple of years with good WR and TE talent around your QB with good OL continuity. Then, you will get closer to the .500 and maybe even squeak a wild card playoff spot, which would be phenomenal playing in the tough AFC North division. I think Weeden will be fine if you groom him and show confidence in him. They have a franchise RB, that is for sure.

What they need is good continuity, good coaching and good drafting for a few years and less knee-jerk reactions.

That was the prior regime....I'd hold off a year or two and see how things go under new owner Jimmy Haslam. Time will tell....but I used to work for the guy and he'll do whatever it takes to make the organization stable and the team better.

Right now....their QB situation is a $#it sandwich and Mallett, as long as Lombardi doesn't get fleeced by Belichick, is probably worth bringing in.

That was the prior regime....I'd hold off a year or two and see how things go under new owner Jimmy Haslam. Time will tell....but I used to work for the guy and he'll do whatever it takes to make the organization stable and the team better.

Right now....their QB situation is a $#it sandwich and Mallett, as long as Lombardi doesn't get fleeced by Belichick, is probably worth bringing in.

I certainly hope Lombardi gets this team's act together. 

We can say it was the old regime but this is just Cleveland's history. Last time it was Brady Quinn, before that Tim Couch.

I like Haslam I just don't get the Lombardi hiring. Maybe he has learned a few things since being out of these league.

I like Haslam I just don't get the Lombardi hiring. Maybe he has learned a few things since being out of these league.

Yeah...we'll have to wait and see.

As far as Mallet goes...it'll be interesting to see what the Pats want. They spent a 3rd rounder drafting him...and given the choices QB-hungry teams have right now, which is pretty thin, Belichick will milk it for all its worth.

Maybe it's just me, but I saw potential in Weeden. He started off bad, but he showed he had talent down the road. When we played the Browns I felt like Weeden showed he could play for the most part. I think they are giving up on the kid way too fast. I understand he's older than your average rookie, but I think he deserves a chance to be the starter next year.

I totally agree with this        Dude had Cleveland in  a lot of games.   

Bring in Palmer and let Weeden watch...   and then in a couple years turn Weeden loose.

Maybe it's just me, but I saw potential in Weeden. He started off bad, but he showed he had talent down the road. When we played the Browns I felt like Weeden showed he could play for the most part. I think they are giving up on the kid way too fast. I understand he's older than your average rookie, but I think he deserves a chance to be the starter next year.

I totally agree with this        Dude had Cleveland in  a lot of games.   

Bring in Palmer and let Weeden watch...   and then in a couple years turn Weeden loose.

I think for the system that Chudzinski is installing, I'm assuming they want someone who can run.

Although Mccoy can run, they don't believe in him. And of course they don't believe in Weeden

I could be wrong, but I thought Ryan Mallett had some running ability. I still think they are

making a mistake giving up on Weeden so fast.

Maybe you saw potential , but you must have seen how inaccurate he was. He may very well get a chance to start next year but there is nothing wrong with bringing in some competition for a 30 year old QB that disapointed.

And so the QB turns......in cleveland........again. That franchise has become a joke, They change QB's. as much as I change bed sheets. Maybe if they had some actual talent at WR then they would get somewhere READ THIS LOMBARDI......who I was never high on at all at the NFL Network....Bold prediction......within 3 years he is fired

Dude....change your bed sheets more.....3 times in the last two years? Gross

The problem is that he's not a kid and he's not merely older than your average rookie, he's older than your average veteran.  If he was a young, raw prospect then they'd have a compelling reason to stick it out with him.  The window for him is pretty small, though.

Also, his lack of accuracy wasn't very encouraging.  When we played the Browns I didn't get the feeling that he'd be starting for long.

I wonder how long the "window" for multiple ACL injury types are?   Esp those who fancy themselves as QB's  / runners?

Honest question?...     

The problem is that he's not a kid and he's not merely older than your average rookie, he's older than your average veteran.  If he was a young, raw prospect then they'd have a compelling reason to stick it out with him.  The window for him is pretty small, though.

Also, his lack of accuracy wasn't very encouraging.  When we played the Browns I didn't get the feeling that he'd be starting for long.

I wonder how long the "window" for multiple ACL injury types are?   Esp those who fancy themselves as QB's  / runners?

Honest question?...     

I keep wondering why you put unnecessary quotes in every reply you make to me.

To each his own. I felt like Weeden showed enough for me to feel like he could correct his wrongs next season.

I think he'll show better next year. Bringing in competition is fine, but I think he should at least go into

camp as the starter. I don't think he should be completely yanked. 30 years old does not make you a complete

old timer at quarterback.

>>>>>>>>                                     >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   VVVVVV

And isn't the "common knowledge"  that most QB's come into their own in their 30's? 

When the legs give out or get crushed of course....   then the MIND must pay the bills.

To each his own. I felt like Weeden showed enough for me to feel like he could correct his wrongs next season.
I think he'll show better next year. Bringing in competition is fine, but I think he should at least go into
camp as the starter. I don't think he should be completely yanked. 30 years old does not make you a complete

I think it's dumb not to have an open competition at every position, honestly.  It won't be much of a competition when you have a quality starter, of course, but you should always be willing to give your depth a hard look.

Holmgren was a bad hire, Shurmer was a bad hire, they made a mistake trading up to get Richardson since I think they could have gotten him at 4 even though Minny claimed teams were looking to move up. With all those draft picks they got from Atlanta, they should be doing way better

Personally, I don't think Mike Holmgren was bad hire. Perhaps, he was not a front office wizard in Cleveland, but he never drafted players to high & he seemed to have a knack for grabbing athletes at the right spots in later rounds for less money like QB Colt McCoy.

No, it wasn't a mistake going up in the draft to get Trent Richardson. You always want a franchise back to ease the burden on your QB & quality backs with size, speed, strength, & durability are not a dime a dozen. Don't forget HOF RB Jim Brown still carries considerable weight in that city. His input on Richardson was probably sought out too.

And let's not forget that Mike Holmgren has a coaching tree of his own that he left an impression on this league as well. Without Holmgren, there is no Andy Reid either. I love how people criticize Mike Holmgren as being out of his element yet he molded 2 HOF QBs in Brett Favre & Steve Young, would have won the 2005 SB with the Seattle Seahawks minus some really poor officiating, & he spent cap money wisely, but Mike Holmgren was a bad hire...Strange...To each their own, I guess.

Personally, I don't think Mike Holmgren was bad hire. Perhaps, he was not a front office wizard in Cleveland, but he never drafted players to high & he seemed to have a knack for grabbing athletes at the right spots in later rounds for less money like QB Colt McCoy.

No, it wasn't a mistake going up in the draft to get Trent Richardson. You always want a franchise back to ease the burden on your QB & quality backs with size, speed, strength, & durability are not a dime a dozen. Don't forget HOF RB Jim Brown still carries considerable weight in that city. His input on Richardson was probably sought out too.

And let's not forget that Mike Holmgren has a coaching tree of his own that he left an impression on this league as well. Without Holmgren, there is no Andy Reid either. I love how people criticize Mike Holmgren as being out of his element yet he molded 2 HOF QBs in Brett Favre & Steve Young, would have won the 2005 SB with the Seattle Seahawks minus some really poor officiating, & he spent cap money wisely, but Mike Holmgren was a bad hire...Strange...To each their own, I guess.

I may be misremembering but I believe Jim Brown was on record as having a less than stellar opinion of Richardson.