Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kuharsky on the Colts: What he heard at the Combine....

NewColtsFan

Kuharsky,  ESPN.com's AFC South blogger has similar write-ups for all 4 teams....

Here's the one on the Colts....

Nothing new or earth shattering...    similar to the stuff we've all been reading and hearing about right here....    But it may be some confirmation....    or not!

A quick and easy read:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47640/combine-takeaways-indianapolis-colts

They could have a traditional fullback: Tight end Dwayne Allen did some fullback-style work last season. Hamilton will emphasize the run more than Arians did. But the Colts don’t yet know if they’ll use a tight end when they have a play that calls for a lead blocker or if they’ll have a more traditional fullback. “We’ll do our evaluations here, study everybody that’s here and then, at the end of the day, if there is a traditional fullback type body out there that fits what we’re doing, fits the system and everything else, then we’ll make a move on him,” Pagano said.

IMO I feel that it would be a complete waste of Dwayne's  talent to put him in a fullback position.  The only way I could see him being used is as some sort of an option pass out of the back, still Allen is better suited on the end of the line.  Allen showed why he was the Mackey award winner.  Put Fleener in the slot, or line him up too but get Allen out of the backfield.  IMO right now Allen is more important than Fleener.

IMO I feel that it would be a complete waste of Dwayne's talent to put him in a fullback position. The only way I could see him being used is as some sort of an option pass out of the back, still Allen is better suited on the end of the line. Allen showed why he was the Mackey award winner. Put Fleener in the slot, or line him up too but get Allen out of the backfield. IMO right now Allen is more important than Fleener.

I still say put Saunders at FB. 270+ lbs and has proven he can catch and block.

IMO I feel that it would be a complete waste of Dwayne's  talent to put him in a fullback position.  The only way I could see him being used is as some sort of an option pass out of the back, still Allen is better suited on the end of the line.  Allen showed why he was the Mackey award winner.  Put Fleener in the slot, or line him up too but get Allen out of the backfield.  IMO right now Allen is more important than Fleener.

I completely agree. When I read that I thought the same thing, I do not want to see us using Dwayne Allen at FB extensively.

If we expect to run FB formations often I'd love to draft Lonnie Pryor FSU FB. This guy is a great blocker who can run the rock like a RB and catches the ball well. He was extremely under utilized at FSU.

If we get a FB late then

1.Braden Wilson 

2.Tommy Bohanon or 

3.Kyle Juszczyk

are my choices

I like door number 3.....:)  His stock has risen from a 5?  I really do think we will go with a UFA here.....and a healthy Robert Hughes.

As stated above....a combo of Hughes and Saunders......if they even stick...

Looks like Kuharsky has been reading our comments on the forum  :spit:

I like the Saunders option at FB. Big guy, can block, and can catch.

The big fella would be nuts to come to camp overweight wouldn't he????  

It was funny last season some on here got him mixed up with fat Tony Hills...said Saunders was horrible....he can block better than catch...but he CAN catch!!

There are some notable advantages to having Allen is your lead blocking fullback. He will not be there every down, this is not college football after all, you do not need an every down full back. But if defenses see a full back on the field they can make the necessary adjustments, whilst if Allen is lining up, it brings a lot more versatility, play-calling at the line of scrimmage becomes more versatile and you have a player that can run, catch and block.

Basically it means that the Colts will not be showing their hand and can do what Pep Hamilton says he wants to do, present many different looks and plays that keep the opposition guessing.

Much rather sign a traditional full back then try to use Allen as the lead blocker.  That would almost give away that the play is a run if he's back there instead of on the end of the line where he can run a good route.

How is that different from a Full Back coming out for the play? Surely this is a much bigger tell that a run play is coming? As long as the personnel are on the field, adjustments can be made quickly and Allen can reposition himself, a defense does not have the luxury as they do not control the snap and therefore more often than not do not have the chance to make the necessary adjustments.

And don't forget Full Backs can be assigned good routes as well i.e. the infamous Spider 2-Y Banana. We already know that Allen is a good route runner and a solid pass-catcher.

I still say put Saunders at FB. 270+ lbs and has proven he can catch and block.

Not to mention we still have Dominique Jones on the roster as well.  Use one of those two as your fb or if not drop one of them and get a fb in FA or an udrafted guy.  No need to use a pick on that.  We could use that for line depth and development.

Not to mention we still have Dominique Jones on the roster as well.  Use one of those two as your fb or if not drop one of them and get a fb in FA or an udrafted guy.  No need to use a pick on that.  We could use that for line depth and development.

Dom Jones did some good things early....then kind of got forgotten...then shipped out...and back again....:)

I like door number 3..... :)  His stock has risen from a 5?  I really do think we will go with a UFA here.....and a healthy Robert Hughes.

As stated above....a combo of Hughes and Saunders......if they even stick...

Looks like Kuharsky has been reading our comments on the forum  :spit:

No just my order of FB's I like not where they will go

I dont think you want tom get into who's more important.....

Fleener has 100-catch potential....Allen could be all-pro...

Fullback and TE are largely the same position....Fleener is really a large Split end.

They dont really do the same things.