Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why I am rooting for San Francisco

Synthetic

These guys need this....

cleveland-browns-fans.jpg

In the year Art Modell dies, can you imagine the old Browns winning the Super Bowl?

If you know Cleveland fans, they are some of the most depressing, loyal, hard fought fans in the NFL. They sit through all the pain and just take it. They already sat through the pain of watching their old team win the Super Bowl in 2000. Now the year Art Modell who is the devil, that moved the real Browns to Baltimore passes away, you mean to tell me that the Ravens are going to win the Super Bowl it's not going to effect these guys?

I hate the 49ers, I grew up watching Jerry Rice and Steve Young thrash the Saints to pieces all through the 90's. I seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. When the Saints beat the Niners, it was like winning the Super Bowl, because we rarely ever beat them. But when it comes between the old Browns, and the 49ers, I am rooting for the Niners in this one. As much as I love Ed Reed, I cannot take the fact that this team might win another championship the same year that Art Modell passes away.

I think they are used to being dumped on. Remember Lebron won it all last year and it pained many of them to see it.

And the one we could have controlled but didn't was at the end of 2007. If we beat the Titans in the final game at home the Browns made the playoffs. Instead we pulled starters AGAIN and the Titans won then lost in San Diego. Then San Diego beat the Colts......

I'm rooting for the 49ers in large part due to the fact that so many people think that the Ravens veteran leadership will simply carry them to victory Lewis, Reed, & Suggs. You line up on Sunday, play, & execute on the field. That scenario has little to do with experience. The good thing about inexperience is that you are often playing with house money meaning that you are lucky to be in the SB & not expected in many football circles to win the game. All the pressure is on the established veteran Ravens squad leaving the young San Francisco squad to play loose, relaxed, carefree, & fast. Just fly to the ball. 

Plus, a changing of the guard is in place regarding an NFC SB dominance again. Look at the last 3 SB Champions from 2010-2012: New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers, & the New York Giants. Go ahead 49ers keep adding to this shifting NFC tend. Thank you.

I think that the 49ers on paper look like the better team and my head picks them too. Sadly though southwest I agree, there are too many intangible aspects that seem to be swaying many of us to the Ravens.

But, the Ravens have been REALLY good since the playoffs started. Perhaps having their defensive starters all on the field for the first time all year did help (how could it not) but they really do seem to have that "luck" factor at times that a lot of champions have.

So it's a tough one. The Ravens have that eerily similar 2007/2011 Giants feel with Flacco turning into this clutch postseason machine a la Eli Manning.

Will be a great game. I know some are not excited for this game but I cannot literally wait. I have fallen for both Harbaugh brothers even though I already loved Jim.

IF the Ravens win they have been Colts killers this postseason. Colts/Peyton/Jim Harbaugh.....

Falacco does throw a nice ball, but so does CK. The Ravens have a great LB in Ray Lewis. The 49ers have a great LB in Patrick Willis. Baltimore has a nice WR in Anquan Boldin; San Francisco has a nice WR in Randy Moss. Dennis Pitta vs. Vernon Davis in the tight end department...I can keep going...The point is both NFL squads are evenly matched. This game will come down to special teams, field position, punt & kick return IMO...Go San Fran shock the football hierarchy! 

I'm rooting for SF because Baltimore and Ray Lewis made a joke of our playoff game there. All that stupid , lame dancing crap before the game ...and then decide you didn't get enough ? Watching him clown around on the kneel down was a real kick in the groin. The I have to hear about how the Lord is watching out for a murderer. Too much for me.. think that's reason enough to pull for SF ?

I'm going for San Francisco too, but only because I don't like the Ravens and I would hate to see Flacco/Jacoby Jones get a ring. Plus, Jim Harbaugh is a good guy and deserves some bling for his hard work. Kaep getting a ring is going to change the way people look at QBs like him, Griff, Newton, etc.

I'm rooting for SF because Baltimore and Ray Lewis made a joke of our playoff game there. All that stupid , lame dancing crap before the game ...and then decide you didn't get enough ? Watching him clown around on the kneel down was a real kick in the groin. The I have to hear about how the Lord is watching out for a murderer. Too much for me.. think that's reason enough to pull for SF ?

I will concede that doing 1 final squirrel celebration dance on the last play of the Playoff game against us Colts did not sit well with me either. I let it slide due to the fact that it was Ray Lewis's last home game this season. I just have a feeling that this is Jim Harbaugh's year where all the jigsaw pieces all slide nicely into place like they did for Tony Dungy & the Colts in 2006. I respect Ed Reed tremendously, but all this spiritual proclamation material courtesy of Ray Lewis is a bit over the top to me. 

At the end of the day, I favor Jim Harbaugh's aggressiveness to John Harbaugh's calmness & longer NFL tenure.

This is a hard one for me. I love my memory of Jimmy, 1995, what that team was. He was a fighter, a warrior, he was the personae of the Colts. But something has changed.

I was one who said we should have been the ones who got him to coach the Colts when he was signed by the 9ers. I thought he would have been a perfect fit. Perhaps he would have been. But since I have been watching him throughout the last 2 seasons, the way he handled the Smith injury, QB switch was weird. The way he dissed another coach at the end of a game, the way his older brother speaks about his love for Jim, and how Jim doesn't reciprocate.

I can't put my finger on it, but Jimmy has become a person that I dont look up to the way I use to. In fact, I like the way his older brother John handles himself...with humility and class. In this game, I root for the Ravens. AFC baby.

This is a hard one for me. I love my memory of Jimmy, 1995, what that team was. He was a fighter, a warrior, he was the personae of the Colts. But something has changed.

I was one who said we should have been the ones who got him to coach the Colts when he was signed by the 9ers. I thought he would have been a perfect fit. Perhaps he would have been. But since I have been watching him throughout the last 2 seasons, the way he handled the Smith injury, QB switch was weird. The way he dissed another coach at the end of a game, the way his older brother speaks about his love for Jim, and how Jim doesn't reciprocate.

I can't put my finger on it, but Jimmy has become a person that I dont look up to the way I use to. In fact, I like the way his older brother John handles himself...with humility and class. In this game, I root for the Ravens. AFC baby.

Interesting post warhorse.

I wonder if I feel the same way deep down and it is a reason I have had such a tough time finding a winner in this game. As if I root for Jim Harbaugh more based on the memories as a young girl I have and not as much as a current head coach and person?

Like you I have become very fond of John Harbaugh. And with Pagano being here I think I have warmed up a tad more to Baltimore too. And I have been really impressed with Joe Flacco.

It's odd. 49ers seem like the clearly better team, at least on paper. But, no moment from the 49ers postseason so far has made me jump out of my seat like with Baltimore. With the Ravens sometimes you can actually feel their passion, their urgency to win, the desire........

I do not feel as much for the 49ers and I try. I love my memories of Harbaugh but all week I have gotten much stronger vibes from John.

I guess we will see soon who wins this battle. Part of me feels this Ravens team has a lot in common with our 2006 Colts. Not their best team, but the gutsiest.

I can root for Jim or John.  Watching so much media day stuff...these two are great people. But of course I have vested interest in the 49ers. 

Jim - "John was my only friend growing up...because I was too competitive. I am a "neanderthal", competitive guy. "  He is who he is, and people gravitate to him, as much as Tony Dungy was who he was, quiet leader.  No wrong or right, just preference. 

I am not indifferent to either, I frankly don't care one way or the either. Whatever works for the team.

Both John and Jim made changes to their team, mid-season for what is better for their team's success. QB change and firing of the OC coach and are both successful.

When our Colts needs to make tough decisions, I hope our coaches have the same umph to do so.

I wonder if I feel the same way deep down and it is a reason I have had such a tough time finding a winner in this game. As if I root for Jim Harbaugh more based on the memories as a young girl I have and not as much as a current head coach and person?

Like you I have become very fond of John Harbaugh. And with Pagano being here I think I have warmed up a tad more to Baltimore too. And I have been really impressed with Joe Flacco.

It's odd. 49ers seem like the clearly better team, at least on paper. But, no moment from the 49ers postseason so far has made me jump out of my seat like with Baltimore. With the Ravens sometimes you can actually feel their passion, their urgency to win, the desire........

I do not feel as much for the 49ers and I try. I love my memories of Harbaugh but all week I have gotten much stronger vibes from John.

I guess we will see soon who wins this battle. Part of me feels this Ravens team has a lot in common with our 2006 Colts. Not their best team, but the gutsiest.

You didn't like their comeback against Atlanta :)

I seriously thought that game was over....

You didn't like their comeback against Atlanta :)

I seriously thought that game was over....

Yeah you are right, that was a great game. But, deep down I think I always am hesitant a bit more in having true faith in Atlanta. I think I was more disappointed in Atlanta though then I was happy for SF. I hate to see a team not only blow a 17 point lead but not score a single point in the second half! Those poor fans.

But, the road for Baltimore has impressed me more. From holding us TD-less, to stunning Denver to shutting out Brady in the second half........good stuff.

Not a huge fan of Ray Lewis "the person" but I have tried to shut that out more the last few days.

This is a hard one for me. 

Class doesn't win the SB though WH; grit, flawless execution, & calculated risk does. You know where I stand. I ride with Jim Harbaugh the rebel.  :cool: Anything can happen naturally. But Jim almost got their last year. It's time to seal the deal now. If Baltimore pulls off an upset, I'm happy for Ed Reed. A defensive based SB...1 for the record books... :thmup:

This is why I'm going with the 49ers:

Throughout the playoffs, the Ravens have faced, how can I put it, 1-dimensional teams.  Meaning, all they had to do is play one side of the gameplan.  Let's go down the line.

Colts:  With our sucky defense and lack of a running game, everyone knew to just contain Luck, no problem there.

Broncos:  This is where my argument begins to take shape.  If it wasn't for the Broncos defense laying a dud, this game would have been over before halftime.  Peyton and Moreno were cutting the Ravens defense up.  The Ravens couldn't just go all out, they had to play the pass and the run.  The Broncos had no problems moving the ball against the Ravens.  It was until Moreno went out that Broncos began to struggle and play it safe.  Without the running game, again, the Ravens were able to sit back and watch PM.  We all know the result.

Pats:  Again, they are going to beat you with the pass and that's it.  Ravens were able to get pressure on Brady and play the pass.

They will not have the same luck against the 49ers because they can beat you with the pass, run, or KP running.  The Ravens are going to have to play all sides of the offense.  They will not be able to key in on one part like they have done with pass teams.  The 49ers are dynamic and they have the defense to hang with the Ravens.  The key for the Ravens to win will definitely be containing KP because if they can not, they will be on their toes all night.  Last time the Ravens played a dynamic QB, they lost, it was RG3 and the Redskins.

Now, the Ravens can win by containing KP but also getting the deep ball going.  the 49ers don't have the backs that can keep up with Smith and Jones.  If the Ravens can get the deep ball going, this game will be close.  If they contain KP and throw the deep ball, they will win.  

If the 49ers can get KP going, they will win easily.  

I'm not saying the 49ers are the clear cut choice here, but there road to the trophy is easier than the Ravens.

Personally, I don't think the Ravens will be able to handle KP unless they hurt him.

This is the first SB in my limited time as a fan that I don't have a clear cut favorite. 

I don't dislike either team.  And, I like both coaches. 

But, I'm cheering for the 49ers merely because my nephew is a 49er's fan and because I find the persona of Ray Lewis to be rather nauseating. 

These guys need this....

cleveland-browns-fans.jpg

In the year Art Modell dies, can you imagine the old Browns winning the Super Bowl?

If you know Cleveland fans, they are some of the most depressing, loyal, hard fought fans in the NFL. They sit through all the pain and just take it. They already sat through the pain of watching their old team win the Super Bowl in 2000. Now the year Art Modell who is the devil, that moved the real Browns to Baltimore passes away, you mean to tell me that the Ravens are going to win the Super Bowl it's not going to effect these guys?

I hate the 49ers, I grew up watching Jerry Rice and Steve Young thrash the Saints to pieces all through the 90's. I seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. When the Saints beat the Niners, it was like winning the Super Bowl, because we rarely ever beat them. But when it comes between the old Browns, and the 49ers, I am rooting for the Niners in this one. As much as I love Ed Reed, I cannot take the fact that this team might win another championship the same year that Art Modell passes away.

Here's the deal. You have the Browns. You got a team three years after Modell left. Your new ownership group has been incompetent, and failed to win in 14 years. The Baltimore Colts moved to Indy. They took the name, colors, and history. The Ravens don't pretend that Jim Brown or Otto Graham played in Baltimore, like the Hall of Fame pretends with old Baltimore Colts, that they all played in Indy. Baltimore cannot celebrate it's 1958, 1959, and 1970 Championships, because the NFL says it belongs to another city. You still have your history including all the Paul Brown Championships, and the 1964 NFL Championship won over the Baltimore Colts.

I do understand your take on Modell. I'm not a hypocrit about it. I believe any ownership family that moves a team should not be in the Hall of Fame, including the Irsays. The one who started the franchise moving bingo, Al Davis, should be removed from the Hall of Fame, in my opinion. The Cleveland fans got their wish that Modell be excluded from the Hall of Fame, so that should make everyone there happy. We will never have any closure in Baltimore. We love the Ravens, and are unbelieveably happy with being in the Super Bowl. Taglibue was much kinder to Cleveland, and gave them a franchise in three years, while he told Baltimore to build a museum, and protected the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke's interests. We languished 12 years without a team.

If you look back , Carolina and Jacksonville should never have been given a team over Baltimore. This directly caused Baltimore to become carpetbaggers like Indy and St. Louis. None of the cities that stole teams, including Baltimore, will ever be totally clean. I would ask you, Mr. Browns fan, how would you like to go to Canton Ohio and see Otto Graham and Jim Brown, under the Baltimore Raven's moniker. Maybe you would like to see Art Modell's 1964 Cleveland Championship banner flying in Baltimore ? This is still the depth of pain felt in Baltimore , where our past football history has been ripped from us, and that Cleveland will never understand.

Indy has been a great football town, and is a great city with friendly people, but they dismiss Baltimore's claims to their football history with get over it, they've been in Indy longer than Baltimore, and so on. If the Colts had moved to LA, for example, people in Indy would fully understand the pain when LA claimed their 2006 Super Bowl Title, or Peyton Manning was in the Hall of Fame as an LA Colt. Some Colts fans would say they would follow the Colts anywhere, which may be true for some, but most follow the team in their city where they grew up.

The bottom line is Cleveland, Baltimore, and Indianapolis are all great NFL towns. I know Jim Irsay is big on forgiveness. I think if he allowed Baltimore to fly those old Championship banners in Baltimore, and put the Baltimore Colt Hall of Famers in a seperate section, or under the Ravens, all would be forgiven. Since 1996, Baltimore has moved onto the Ravens, but everyone still loved those old Baltimore Colts. If you never lived in Baltimore in those days, you'll never undertstand. It still hurts to see those old Colts helmets and uniforms in Indy , but we've moved on from that. I wouldn't wish what happened to Baltimore happen to any city, including Indy, Cleveland, Houston, Oakland, or St.Louis. If NFL history and heritage isn't important, why do we have a Hall of Fame ? Something to ponder.

I can assure you that Jim loves John as much as John loves Jim.    He just doesn't like saying it publicly.   Jim is not wired that way.    He's a weird guy.   Jim is just....    well...   different.

But brilliant and a Force of Nature as a Head Coach.

Personally,  I'm pulling for the 49ers.   I like and respect both franchises.   But I'm way too tired of Ray Lewis.   Enough.   He needs a big slice of humble pie.   I hope San Francisco can serve it up to him.

If Baltimore wins, I'm OK too.    I like John.   Love their GM, Ozzie.   I like Flacco and Ray Rice and Ngata and Reed.   Lots of interesting players.    But other than the Colts,  San Francisco is my favorite team.    That's who I'm pulling for!     :thmup:  

This is why I'm going with the 49ers:

Throughout the playoffs, the Ravens have faced, how can I put it, 1-dimensional teams. Meaning, all they had to do is play one side of the gameplan. Let's go down the line.

Colts: With our sucky defense and lack of a running game, everyone knew to just contain Luck, no problem there.

Broncos: This is where my argument begins to take shape. If it wasn't for the Broncos defense laying a dud, this game would have been over before halftime. Peyton and Moreno were cutting the Ravens defense up. The Ravens couldn't just go all out, they had to play the pass and the run. The Broncos had no problems moving the ball against the Ravens. It was until Moreno went out that Broncos began to struggle and play it safe. Without the running game, again, the Ravens were able to sit back and watch PM. We all know the result.

Pats: Again, they are going to beat you with the pass and that's it. Ravens were able to get pressure on Brady and play the pass.

They will not have the same luck against the 49ers because they can beat you with the pass, run, or KP running. The Ravens are going to have to play all sides of the offense. They will not be able to key in on one part like they have done with pass teams. The 49ers are dynamic and they have the defense to hang with the Ravens. The key for the Ravens to win will definitely be containing KP because if they can not, they will be on their toes all night. Last time the Ravens played a dynamic QB, they lost, it was RG3 and the Redskins.

Now, the Ravens can win by containing KP but also getting the deep ball going. the 49ers don't have the backs that can keep up with Smith and Jones. If the Ravens can get the deep ball going, this game will be close. If they contain KP and throw the deep ball, they will win.

If the 49ers can get KP going, they will win easily.

I'm not saying the 49ers are the clear cut choice here, but there road to the trophy is easier than the Ravens.

Personally, I don't think the Ravens will be able to handle KP unless they hurt him.

you could say the same thing about the Niners ....the packers were a one dimensional throwing team (unlike the patriots who have excellent running game). And the falcons should of buried the Niners after halftime, but they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot...roddy white falling down leading to int, Matt Ryan fumbling a snap, and Henry Douglas falling down on a potential game winning pass. Plus they were totally shut out in the first half by a not so great ATL defense.

you could say the same thing about the Niners ....the packers were a one dimensional throwing team (unlike the patriots who have excellent running game). And the falcons should of buried the Niners after halftime, but they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot...roddy white falling down leading to int, Matt Ryan fumbling a snap, and Henry Douglas falling down on a potential game winning pass. Plus they were totally shut out in the first half by a not so great ATL defense.

Well, the game kind of held to what I said.  The Ravens were running away with the game while Kp was struggling to get anything going.  Next half, KP went off.  49ers had it but the 2 TO's in the first half killed them.