Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's View of the Colts 2012 OL.....

NewColtsFan

He's smart enough to know that the same line will probably have the same cohesion problems if he sticks with them.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of ...

"Grigson noted after the season the line does need to provide better pass protection, but he was quick to cite a unit that started seven different configurations. It never had more than three straight games with the same opening unit and only had four outings where the season-opening intended starters played together.

“We’ve had guys on that line, it’s like a walking wounded,” said Grigson. “We had so many guys just dinged up. The fact that we were as versatile as we were was something.”

I was really hoping to read...

"We sucked!  Most of our starting Oline sucked.  Most of our backups sucked.  We just sucked.  This won't happen again."

Well....maybe if Jim Mora was the GM.  haha

no if Jim Mora was the GM at the beginning of the season he would have been exactly like this

Grigson has said all of the right things. He's protecting his players and thanking them for overcoming so much adversity. But make no mistake about it, he's definitely looking to improve the O-line. He knows that's his first priority, especially being an O-lineman himself. He would be the first to recognize that the O-line was a weakness for our team.

Grigson has said all of the right things. He's protecting his players and thanking them for overcoming so much adversity. But make no mistake about it, he's definitely looking to improve the O-line. He knows that's his first priority, especially being an O-lineman himself. He would be the first to recognize that the O-line was a weakness for our team.

That's my thoughts exactly. He's not going to just throw them under the bus, especially with the media. That's not cool, they know they sucked lol.

3-4 months ago, I stumbled on an article here on the website....  in it, there was a quote from Grigson that went something like this...

"My goal is to build the best offensive line in football and I won't rest until I do..."     Something with that sentiment....

I hope he does.    If you have a great offensive line,  there's almost no limit to what you can do....

He's smart enough to know that the same line will probably have the same cohesion problems if he sticks with them.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of ...

I didn't see anything in that article that suggests that he is satisfied with the collection of players we have.

I didn't see anything in that article that suggests that he is satisfied with the collection of players we have.

Yep. He was being diplomatic by blaming the poor play on the lack of playing together. To me, that sounds like he wants guys who can stay on the field.

Yep. He was being diplomatic by blaming the poor play on the lack of playing together. To me, that sounds like he wants guys who can stay on the field.

I think everyone wants guys who can stay on the field...

I thought you were suggesting that he is okay with keeping our guys, because they deserve a chance to form a cohesive unit. That would be insane on his part. I'm 100% convinced that Grigson is going to devote some significant resources to improving the offensive line. Like you said, his comments in this article are the definition of diplomacy. Another reason to like him.

Just like he didn't throw anybody under the bus, he also didn't imply that we would be looking in the offseason, nor should he tip his hand in the 2013 draft or FA..

However, those of you who are speculating that he knows they sucked and will do what is necessary to fix it are just speculating.

I am really hoping that he saw in 2012 that the 2013 is very very deep in talented lineman and thats the direction we are heading this year.

You think he isnt smart enough to know they sucked, or am I miss reading this? Or was this sarcasm? I am NEW here so please explain.

Neither. I think he is smart enough to know they sucked and smart enough to not say it.

BUT....if you read the statement there is nothing there that firmly says we're making any moves in the offseason, which while I am confident that we will, worries me that he doesn't just say "we will".

make sense?

Neither. I think he is smart enough to know they sucked and smart enough to not say it.

BUT....if you read the statement there is nothing there that firmly says we're making any moves in the offseason, which while I am confident that we will, worries me that he doesn't just say "we will".

make sense?

So you are speculating too then. And yes it makes sense, we are both speculators. And it worries me too :excited:

It would like inviting every lineman to try to fleece us in FA if he were to say: "We need to go after Lineman in FA, whatever it takes... I'd give anything for a Long or Clady right now"... I don't know what Grigs's plans are and these statements don't really say anything... most GM's won't trash their own guys in the media no matter how awful or over-payed they may be... looks bad for the whole organization...

So you are speculating too then. And yes it makes sense, we are both speculators. And it worries me too :excited:
Oh fun! I like to speculate too... can I play?

Grigs knew these guys were marginal talents when he brought them here. These guys knew it too. Better options were not a available, and the Colts wouldn't have had the cash if they were. The team started the season armed with knives for a gun fight, and injuries then made the situation worse.

My opinion is that Grigson knew the impossible situation he was asking these guys to face, so bashing them now would just be obnoxious. He needs to be diplomatic for these players or it'll be more difficult to attract the better talent we all want. ...don't you think?

It would like inviting every lineman to try to fleece us in FA if he were to say: "We need to go after Lineman in FA, whatever it takes... I'd give anything for a Long or Clady right now"... I don't know what Grigs's plans are and these statements don't really say anything... most GM's won't trash their own guys in the media no matter how awful or over-payed they may be... looks bad for the whole organization...

Agree, most GM's wouldn't trash their own guys. But we all know one who did......don't we? You know, the one with a temper, and of a ginger persuasion who did not believe in momentum.

True, Linkenbach is a poor RT and only a serviceable LG, but there's something to be said for someone who is available for all 16 games.  When he was in at LG, I was never really worried about that spot.  And when he was at RT, I wasn't nearly as nervous as when Bradley Sowell had his debacle out there.  I expect him back on the team next year, hopefully as the 2nd backup option at both OG and OT. 

Justice played alright this year, but he missed half the games (concusions and other dings).  Reitz played pretty well, but he also missed half the games (knee, then multiple concussions).  Satele and McGlynn played very poorly, and Satele missed a bunch of time.  Costanzo was pretty good, and Shipley was good. 

In the end, I think we were fortunate to get eight mediocre games out of Justice, and it fits with his reputation: always hurt and pretty so-so when he does play.  He can't be counted on as a first option, but it was the best Grigson could do under last year's cap constraints.  This year, I expect RT to be priority #1 in FA.  Big push for Loadholt!  Then, we have to get McGlynn out of the line-up - also a FA priority.  I'm thinking Donald Thomas of the Patriots or Ramon Foster of the Steelers.  Then we draft an OG (about 4th round, unless the 1st round unfolds unfavorably for defenders), and re-sign Justice and Linkenbach.  We can probably expect better health next year, but if Reitz proves to be a chronic injury threat, let's hope Justin Anderson, Ben Ijalana, or the draft pick are ready to step in.

That's my thoughts exactly. He's not going to just throw them under the bus, especially with the media. That's not cool, they know they sucked lol.

True  , I believe  A . Luck was hit 114 times versus 44 or 48 on our old # 18 , the Bronco's line was very solid .

18 would not have survived this season with our line . I believe in  Grigson , The O line is job 1 this off season thru draft or  FA .  Given that it is then maybe the running game will look better under new OC Pep . I really like this new OC I believe 12 as well as all our young offensive players will excell in this new offense .

3-4 months ago, I stumbled on an article here on the website....  in it, there was a quote from Grigson that went something like this...

"My goal is to build the best offensive line in football and I won't rest until I do..."     Something with that sentiment....

With that in mind and add the fact that the new OC is on record as saying he wants a power running game, and it is obvious that Grigson will be building the monster by upgrading the O line.  Grigson will accomplish this through FA's and the draft.  IMO, this will be JOB ONE, building one of the best O lines possible. 

this