Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How far off are the Colts. Really?

Jules

It is almost scary at times to even think about considering what happened in 2011 and the following offseason with the changes on the team.

But, I like this team. I really like the feel of them. There is a young core here who nobody can deny is promising. A few veterans still showing they have it.

Some added talent should come in this offseason.

Watching Broncos/Ravens made me think about the landscape of the AFC. IF we could have scored TDs instead of FGs that would have been a different game in Baltimore. I won't knock the guys though.....too much youth and I think the better team won and we rwent as far as we could for the magical season.

Ravens will be losing Ray Lewis. Maybe Ed Reed. Steelers are showing some decline. Brady/Manning are not getting any younger.

Texans are likely our biggest rival now and have yet to show they can win in Indy and they seem to collapse a bit nearing the end of the season too.

Of course we cannot predict surprise teams but there was little turnover this year for the AFC playoffs. 5 of the 6 previous playoff teams made it back in. The 4  AFC teams playing this divisional weekend were the same as the previous season.

I am well aware of a sophomore slump but how does this come about? Luck already threw a ton of picks this year and got beaten up a lot. I suppose the win/loss record is the biggest area of concern. We could become better and not reach 11 wins.

All I am saying is.......I like our chances moving forward. A lot.

And I like Pagano. Love him so far. He reminds me of what we had with Dungy. "The voice" the players listen to and follow. Our leader.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it comes down to how we spend our money and what we do in the draft this year and if we make good coaching moves if we have to do those.

I think if we keep McAfee and Moala as I expect us to do in free agency we are need at least three solid lineman out of this off-season a new OLB to replace Freeney, a true second corner and probably another safety.  We also still need a true starting 3/4 NT that could be Chapman but he still has to prove he can be that guy. 

Adding another running back in the near future wouldn't hurt and neither would one more WR for Luck which we will probably have to get this off-season if we let Avery walk.  Also age is going to catch up to Wayne sooner than later so we need to at least start thinking about his replacement despite the great season he had. 

If we spend our money wisely and the guys we have KEEP getting better we should be right there next year.  That's the key we can't have sophomore slumps or guys who have a good rookie year and just aren't that same kind of player again or came into the league as good as they were going to be.  If guys keep growing we could very well have most if not all our peaces after this off-season. 

I think we are closer than people expect.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us compete for the division next year.  Grigs has shown he can find talent and isn't afraid to make big or risky moves.  If we can find some good pieces along the offensive line, I think we will be a contender. 

We were one game out for the division this year!!! The AFC is getting weaker as stars are aging.

People used to say for years as long as we had Peyton we would make the playoffs and compete. Who says the same can't be said for this era with Luck? Has he not shown us A TON in his rookie year? This guy is going to be ridiculously good people and he is crazy smart/poised too.

Our future is bright. I can't wait for September again.

I say 2 years or so untill I think were gonna be able to start constantely making deep runs. To me a we need a solid DE,OLB,CB,SS and Posibly another NT if nothing else for depth. Then on Offense 2 soid O linemen and a go to reciever. I think If we go about this off season smartley we could fill about 75 percent of these needs this off season. The biggest question to me about whether the Offense continues to improve is not only the o line but whether or not Ariens stays put. if he doesnt then Luck is gonna have to adapt to a whole new offfense. Either way by the end of this off season I think and hope were gonna be very close to having a very solid team built to make make the playoffs and make some runs at the superbowl. Its gonna be exciting for sure. I just wish free agency would start already!

Depends on how you define....   "far off"....

Far off from a Super Bowl?    Far off from winning the division?     I'm not trying to be clever here,  just asking....

The answer for me is....   I think we're here right now.    I think we're set-up to be a consistently good team.    But that means we might win 10 games next year and not 11.    Tougher schedule.    And we might lose again in the first round of the playoffs.   Lots of moving parts to know.

Long term,  I think the answer is two more off-seasons...  this year and next....

Two more Free Agency periods,  two more drafts...   I think by then we'll be a year in year out contender for the division and the conference....

If we're truly Building a Monster that takes time.     Neither Rome, nor Monsterville were built in a day!      :thmup:

Depends on how you define....   "far off"....

Far off from a Super Bowl?    Far off from winning the division?     I'm not trying to be clever here,  just asking....

The answer for me is....   I think we're here right now.    I think we're set-up to be a consistently good team.    But that means we might win 10 games next year and not 11.    Tougher schedule.    And we might lose again in the first round of the playoffs.   Lots of moving parts to know.

Long term,  I think the answer is two more off-seasons...  this year and next....

Two more Free Agency periods,  two more drafts...   I think by then we'll be a year in year out contender for the division and the conference....

If we're truly Building a Monster that takes time.     Neither Rome, nor Monsterville were built in a day!      :thmup:

Both I think. Either/or. lol I don't know.

I just think we can MAYBE go father then we thought SOONER then we thought. Ahhhh you know me. A bundle of optimism all the time.

I think we are closer than people expect.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us compete for the division next year.  Grigs has shown he can find talent and isn't afraid to make big or risky moves.  If we can find some good pieces along the offensive line, I think we will be a contender. 

Not many people realized cuz it floated under the radar but we competed for it this year IMO. Next year it will be more obvious after this magical year. Give us 2 guards, another end, a tackle, and a 2nd CB with a 2nd seasons worth of chemistry and exp n watch out

I think we will compete for the division next year... if we had played better on the road (a tall order with so many rookies) we would have won the div. this season (although I don't think we were better than Houston per se)

The experience that our rookies gained this year will help them in hostile environments and big games next season...

We will win the South next season if....

1. Luck improves his jumpiness/overthrowing on the road

2. We get average/above average OL play

3. Our young WRs hang on to the dang ball

We will be in the SB next season if.... (assuming 1,2, and 3)

1. We find a corner and a safety to shore up the secondary

2. We go into the postseason healthy on the DL

3. Players like Fleener/Chapman/Hughes/Moala pan out the way we'd like them to

JMO

hon. men.: Tom Moore comes back as OC if B.A. leaves

:thanks:  :hug:

Oh I forgot to mention, we gotta learn to beat a good team on the road too.

And yeah I am optimistic. :hat:

Yep that's the next step beating a good team on the road.  We beat the Lions but they are so dysfunctional I am not sure if that counts.  In most of our road games against good teams it wasn't pretty.  Although we were competitive with the Texans and Ravens in our last two trips.  So I think we are going in the right direction. 

Guest NDColts!!

We were just second in the division can we find same chemistry probabaly so but who knows,matching up to strong defenses is hard and all teams try to make adjustments and in doing this it changes teams. How well the Colts can stay focused will make them better.Good luck Colts no pun intended!

We competed for the division this year.....

Think about this guys..

Brandon Mckinney and Chapman should be both healthy next year. Those 2 are essentially providing the depth on the DL without spending money

Personally I believe Kruger, Cary Williams and a few Olinemen will be our free agent pick ups. The draft will be best player avaliable, which is always the best way to draft

Kind of interesting reading a lot of views here. Everyone wants top 5 players at each position to ensure your best chances but u can't afford that. IMHO, if we get 2 top flight gaurd/Rt combo in addition to one of the guard/rt players from IR next season and add a improved CB with Davis, this team can compete for a div title next season.

We already have the major piece, Luck, and with a year of experience and a full offseason to study, this team should be dynamic. Injuries will dictate a lot of how far we will go and possiblly the loss of Freeney and what he has done over the years.

Oh yeah, the team will have to fix the red zone offense. Can't leave points on the field so often.

With the money we have to fix area's of need this offseason, there is no reason to think this team can't compete for a SB next yr.. Those that say we are several yrs. away still don't know what they are saying. They were only a game away from winning the division this yr. and if they had a better O-line could have easily won a playoff game. Like I said, if Grigs gets the missing pieces this offseason, we'll be in the hunt next season.

With the money we have to fix area's of need this offseason, there is no reason to think this team can't compete for a SB next yr.. Those that say we are several yrs. away still don't know what they are saying. They were only a game away from winning the division this yr. and if they had a better O-line could have easily won a playoff game. Like I said, if Grigs gets the missing pieces this offseason, we'll be in the hunt next season.

Harsh B40. People do know what they are saying. It is not a linear science. No guarantee that just because we get more experience and potentially some quality FA's and draft picks, means we burst into the 90's Niners. But I have a warm feeling that we will be knocking on the door from next season....but I do understand others' caution...

A few guys on the OLine, and I'd like a big WR...and I think this offense could bloom.

Defense?  DLine, LB's, and DB's.  lol  If Fili returns I wouldn't mind getting a DT in the 1st Round and use Chapman as a rotational guy.  Angerer does not fit this scheme, and Freeney is as good as gone.  Could easily use a high pick on a LB, especially one that can rush the passer.  We need another CB.  IMO we need at least 1 new Safety, and Bethea didn't exactly impress me this year in this scheme so possibly 2.

We're going to have some turnover from this season's team so it will take all of the new faces time to gel.  I wouldn't be surprised if we win fewer games next season.  I'm not talking about a big dropoff like the Lions had.  I think we go 9-7 next season. 

Harsh B40. People do know what they are saying. It is not a linear science. No guarantee that just because we get more experience and potentially some quality FA's and draft picks, means we burst into the 90's Niners. But I have a warm feeling that we will be knocking on the door from next season....but I do understand others' caution...

I guess I didn't mean to come off that way. I'm just saying that this team is missing a few key components that can vault them into a super bowl contending team. Your right, just because we get those pieces doesn't mean they'll win the SB, but it will mean that they have the pieces necessary to compete. I just don't think there is any way this team is several yrs. away if the Grigson does his job and I think he will.

Well it comes down to how we spend our money and what we do in the draft this year and if we make good coaching moves if we have to do those.

I think if we keep McAfee and Moala as I expect us to do in free agency we are need at least three solid lineman out of this off-season a new OLB to replace Freeney, a true second corner and probably another safety.  We also still need a true starting 3/4 NT that could be Chapman but he still has to prove he can be that guy. 

Adding another running back in the near future wouldn't hurt and neither would one more WR for Luck which we will probably have to get this off-season if we let Avery walk.  Also age is going to catch up to Wayne sooner than later so we need to at least start thinking about his replacement despite the great season he had. 

If we spend our money wisely and the guys we have KEEP getting better we should be right there next year.  That's the key we can't have sophomore slumps or guys who have a good rookie year and just aren't that same kind of player again or came into the league as good as they were going to be.  If guys keep growing we could very well have most if not all our peaces after this off-season. 

I agree with all this. But I feel the key is mostly O-line. And a good safety and 1 more Vontae type CB.  And some stickem for our young receivers hands.

We're going to have some turnover from this season's team so it will take all of the new faces time to gel.  I wouldn't be surprised if we win fewer games next season.  I'm not talking about a big dropoff like the Lions had.  I think we go 9-7 next season. 

What 7 teams to you think will lose to?

luck will be hitting his stride and brady and manning continue to get older.

With the AFC not as strong as it used to be while Brady and Manning were at their peak, Luck is in a better spot to get to more SBs than the two other stellar rookie QBs in RG3 and Russell Wilson.