Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Loves Speed and Percy has a lot of it

bobourret

Is there an exception to the above if the Colts resign Avery?  I agree with both of you that the stud, huge FA splash WR isn't needed. 

That said, there were 14 NFL catches last season from the guys on the roster now after Wayne and Hilton.  Suggesting that any combination of Brazill, Palmer, Adams, and Whalen is ready to go, step right in, is a leap.  We hope they can.  We saw more of Brazill, and maybe so.  But the 'strongest' position on the roster has two guys.  After those two, it's a mystery.  What we do know is 14 catches.  That's it.  There are posts about Whalen being Stokely reincarnate.  And how Adams could be a stud.  Those are as crazy to me as suggesting a WR could be added in a year when there is a lot of money is to you guys.  I don't want the money to go there, but I get why some suggest it.

If we're talking about receiving in general, not WR specific, then yes, I agree there were  enough weapons added last year to not need to worry about it in 2013.  But if we're talking about WR, I'm surprised people are so sold on 14 catches, so sure the answers are in place.  That is far from proven. 

I think we will resign Avery and that don't count as a big splash FA WR signing. Luck completed a lot of passes this season and broke the rookie record for receiving yds.. He was a rookie(obviously) as was Allen, Fleener, Hilton, and Brazill. That tells me that it is completely unnecessary to go out and waste money on a high priced WR. They are only going to get better with more experience so when somebody can explain to me why it makes sense to waste money on another WR without their reasoning being for personal feelings about a player, then maybe I'll listen, but IMO there isn't any good sense in it what so ever. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a few of things contributed to Fleeners lack of a big impact in my opinion

1.He was only targeted 48 times all season long according to ESPN and SI.com(That should be fixed come next season when we have an improved O Line, why Arians refused to use him on short routes over the middle more often or Luck did not go to him more often I have no idea)

2.He missed 4 games(thats always a wait and see what happens, players miss games sometimes, its collision sport obviously)

3.He is a rookie(Wont have that excuse anymore)

4.When he is thrown to he looks like he is scared to take a hit more often then not(My opinion the toughest obstacle to overcome, best way to go about it is to hope he gets whacked soon and comes up uninjured so he can get over what appears to be a fear in my opinion, which I did not expect given he is obviously not new to football)

I think we will resign Avery and that don't count as a big splash FA WR signing. Luck completed a lot of passes this season and broke the rookie record for receiving yds.. He was a rookie(obviously) as was Allen, Fleener, Hilton, and Brazill. That tells me that it is completely unnecessary to go out and waste money on a high priced WR. They are only going to get better with more experience so when somebody can explain to me why it makes sense to waste money on another WR without their reasoning being for personal feelings about a player, then maybe I'll listen, but IMO there isn't any good sense in it what so ever. 

Agreed.  I haven't looked at the 2014 FA list, but the only argument I could think of is the lack of quality in the next two drafts (this WR class is not deep or very skilled, 14 looks better), and a worse FA class in 2014.  Meaning, if the Colts intention is to replace Wayne from FA as opposed to draft or internally (Hilton becomes Harrison-lite, for example), and Grigson says hey, we had the money now, the draft class stunk, and nobody who could be a #1 is available in 2014, I'd believe his assessment.  I won't be happy - I'm in your camp with the FA path, and draft needs.  But at least I'd understand the move. 

4.When he is thrown to he looks like he is scared to take a hit more often then not(My opinion the toughest obstacle to overcome, best way to go about it is to hope he gets whacked soon and comes up uninjured so he can get over what appears to be a fear in my opinion, which I did not expect given he is obviously not new to football)

agree completely... he looked like he had a case of alligator arms when being thrown to in the middle of the field. He was probably used to being able to outrun, outjump, and push around college safeties until that first NFL game.... That being said... his numbers weren't bad for a rookie who missed 4 games and I expect more from him after he gets a full offseason to get comfortable in his role (if it doesn't dramatically change w/ a new OC) Fleener plays ugly... he did in college, too... he doesn't look as fast and powerful as he actually is because of that goofy gait and clunky frame. I still have high hopes that the pick will pan out.

If he can stay Healthy & Keep that Funky Attitude out of him, then sure Ill take him.

But WR is NOT a Top Priority unless it's a Big Physical WR. We're gonna eventually need a REAL #1 WR. Yes TY & Co. Are good, but I prefer to have a big WR as our #1.

We do need to get a number one guy to replace Wayne eventually but I dont think it has to be this year. Now The fact of him needing to be big to be a number 1 guy is very debatable. I think there was a statistic where over 65 percent of teams percived number recivers were under 6'1 oe something like that. Now Im not for sure on the exacts but its close. However If you look at guys like Calvin Johnson,Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, AJ Green who are all prime time big number one guys. So there is definatley something to be said for a having a big reciver as your number 1. Now I myself have kinda always wished the Colts would draft that one good big go to reciver but we just have not. And to be honest I dont think were gonna either. Especially If Ariens stays as OC. I could see us going after guys like a Stedman Bailey, DeAndre Hopkins, Robert Woods which I wouldnt mind too much because they were all pretty dang good.. Its just not our Philosophy to draft big recivers. We like them small and fast with good hands. Well see though, definatley up for supprises.

The Colts strongest position is arguably WR...    but it is NOT as good as it could be.

Indy would profit greatly from a serious speed WR opposite Wayne.   Like Wallace or a Harvin.    Keep Hilton in the slot...   WOW..

Problem is they are expensive.     At this point having that "weapon" is a luxury.      One Indy probably should put off for another year maybe?   As stated earlier...  too many NEEDS.

BUT..   Golly... think about the possibilities.    Wayne, Harvin/Wallace, Hilton...      Indy gave Manning everything he needed when he was here....     ???

Sounds like it could be a perfect match.

We have two WRs who are younger than him that pretty much do the samethings in Brazil and Hilton.  Avery is the same mold of WR as well.  What we need is a taller WR.  That's the one kind of WR we don't have right now.  I think we let Avery walk and try to find a taller guy. 

So does Mike Wallace....who makes WAY more sense considering his history with Arians.

This^ but still no. We just have bigger needs. The emergence of TY Hilton should teach us that we don't have to fall in luv with other teams stars, we can draft and develop our own.

while some of you are acting like we're too good for this kid..the Patriots are already putting it out there that they're interested..like I said winning solves everything..bring this kid to a winning organization like ours and all his 'issues' would be a thing of the past..

he's only a year older than Andrew..to see them grow together would be phenomenal imo..

I personally don't think we go Offensive lineman in the 1st round.  I think we either grab an Ezekiel Ansah (speed rusher) or we grab a number 1 WR.  Arians already said he thinks Hilton can be a number 1 and I agree with that.  But we need 2 top shelf WR in this league and Reggie will be gone in a few years.  Does anyone really believe that Avery or Brazil is that caliber?  Avery will be gone soon enough and Brazil will be a 3rd receiver/slot guy probably.  I think if a Quinton Patton or Keenan Allen drops to us, we grab him.  We're set for the next decade.  We will still get our Olinemen this year, but just not in the 1st round.    

If we have to acquire him via trade, no thanks. What's the point? Receiver is the least of our worries right now

I agree that this offseason should be focused mainly of the defense and the offensive line.

But the point is, Donnie Avery is a free agent and has not impressed me thus far. The pure skill set that Harvin has could help Luck wonders, and give us a #1 when Reggie retires. Just my 2 cents. I don't wanna go into next season with these same WR's, we owe Andrew better.

I  really hope, if nothing else, we get several good offensive linemen.   I don't agree with the appeal of bringing in more high priced skill position players.   Look at NE.  They key to them is their offensive line.  For the last 8 years they have only had Moss for a few seasons and Gronk, yet they always do well passing and even running this year.  Shows you that if a good QB has time, you can pretty much put anyone out there and they will find them.

I agree that this offseason should be focused mainly of the defense and the offensive line.

But the point is, Donnie Avery is a free agent and has not impressed me thus far. The pure skill set that Harvin has could help Luck wonders, and give us a #1 when Reggie retires. Just my 2 cents. I don't wanna go into next season with these same WR's, we owe Andrew better.

You're essentially wanting to mortgage our future for a splurge. Our receivers are fine, even without Avery. We have a few drafts to look for Reggie's replacement. I'm of the opinion that Hilton is already being groomed to be that guy. Your comment about owing Luck more is puzzling to say the least

Harvin is no more a top receiver than Hilton, in my opinion, and has baggage. To acquire him would cost at least a couple of high picks. Completely unnecessary and would be a waste of resources

I  really hope, if nothing else, we get several good offensive linemen.   I don't agree with the appeal of bringing in more high priced skill position players.   Look at NE.  They key to them is their offensive line.  For the last 8 years they have only had Moss for a few seasons and Gronk, yet they always do well passing and even running this year.  Shows you that if a good QB has time, you can pretty much put anyone out there and they will find them.

You're essentially wanting to mortgage our future for a splurge. Our receivers are fine, even without Avery. We have a few drafts to look for Reggie's replacement. I'm of the opinion that Hilton is already being groomed to be that guy. Your comment about owing Luck more is puzzling to say the least

Harvin is no more a top receiver than Hilton, in my opinion, and has baggage. To acquire him would cost at least a couple of high picks. Completely unnecessary and would be a waste of resources

I obviously agree with both these statements. It's amazing to me that apparently many Colts fans didn't learn a lesson with the way Polian built the team. We had great weapons for Manning but after Edge retired we never had a good running game(because of a crappy run blocking line) and terrible defenses. Focus on the trenches, especially the O-line and Luck will have much more time to make reads and better throws. He will be able to sit in the pocket and pick teams apart with the receivers we already have. If the O-line is not the focus, we could have Bowe, Wallace, and Harvin all three and it won't matter because Luck still won't be able to get the ball to them. We have plenty of time to get a WR before Reggie retires. We NEED to fix glaring weaknesses while we have the money, not splurge for a player we have no need for at this time.

while some of you are acting like we're too good for this kid..the Patriots are already putting it out there that they're interested..like I said winning solves everything..bring this kid to a winning organization like ours and all his 'issues' would be a thing of the past..

he's only a year older than Andrew..to see them grow together would be phenomenal imo..

And how exactly have the patriots done that?

For people that think our Receiver corps is fine, ask yourself this, if Reggie gets hurt (heaven forbid) and had to be put on IR, who would step up and take his place?  Avery to inconsistent.  Hilton showed flashes but still inconsistent.  Brazill inconsistent.  We have no one that can step up and we really have nothing but slot receivers after Reggie, so why not try to get one in FA or the draft.

For people that think our Receiver corps is fine, ask yourself this, if Reggie gets hurt (heaven forbid) and had to be put on IR, who would step up and take his place?  Avery to inconsistent.  Hilton showed flashes but still inconsistent.  Brazill inconsistent.  We have no one that can step up and we really have nothing but slot receivers after Reggie, so why not try to get one in FA or the draft.

Injuries can happen to anybody. what happens if we brought in a high dollar FA and he blew his knee out on the 1st play of the 1st game of the season. That argument just don't hold water.

If Megatron gets hurt who would step up and take his place? If Fitzgerald gets hurt, who takes his place? If AJ Green gets hurt who takes his place?... Seeing my point here? Dealing in hypotheticals really doesn't prove or solve anything. You want to trade for another receiver in the event that our best one gets hurt. Why just stop at that position then? Let's trade for a OLB or a TE, in case Mathis or Allen goes on IR, too. Sheesh 

All I know is we have a better than average receiving core going into next season. We also have a far below average O-line and secondary, with a few aging stars at linebacker. So no, I don't understand the sudden urgency felt around here to replace a receiver who just came off one of his best seasons, considering the fact that his understudy had almost 900 yards and 9 total touchdowns in his rookie campaign. Why on earth do we need to trade valuable draft picks to stock up on a position that looks to be solid for the next few years? That makes zero sense, forgive me

If Megatron gets hurt who would step up and take his place? If Fitzgerald gets hurt, who takes his place? If AJ Green gets hurt who takes his place?... Seeing my point here? Dealing in hypotheticals really doesn't prove or solve anything. You want to trade for another receiver in the event that our best one gets hurt. Why just stop at that position then? Let's trade for a OLB or a TE, in case Mathis or Allen goes on IR, too. Sheesh 

All I know is we have a better than average receiving core going into next season. We also have a far below average O-line and secondary, with a few aging stars at linebacker. So no, I don't understand the sudden urgency felt around here to replace a receiver who just came off one of his best seasons, considering the fact that his understudy had almost 900 yards and 9 total touchdowns in his rookie campaign. Why on earth do we need to trade valuable draft picks to stock up on a position that looks to be solid for the next few years? That makes zero sense, forgive me

I wish others could wrap their minds around this. It baffles me how so many colts fans want to add to an already strong position when there are other such glaring weaknesses on the team. I think so many fans confuse fantasy football for real/actual football.

I wish others could wrap their minds around this. It baffles me how so many colts fans want to add to an already strong position when there are other such glaring weaknesses on the team. I think so many fans confuse fantasy football for real/actual football.

I do think we could use another WR one with some size.  With that said if the choice is between WR or OL for example I am clearly in favor of getting OL help.  With that said with 43 million to spend if we spend our money wisely we should be able address all our needs between that and the draft. 

I do think we could use another WR one with some size.  With that said if the choice is between WR or OL for example I am clearly in favor of getting OL help.  With that said with 43 million to spend if we spend our money wisely we should be able address all our needs between that and the draft. 

I think a lot of people are infatuated with the idea of a bigger receiver. The truth is, the top receivers in the league aren't top receivers because of size, it's because they can run any route. Having a Megatron or a Randy Moss is nice, but honestly, how many jumpball scenarios are you really looking at per game? I think the need for an athletic freak at receiver is overstated around here at times because we've never had one. I say all of this ignoring the bigger point, which is, we already have big targets to throw to in the redzone on the roster -- Their names are Fleener and Allen. If they aren't being utilized correctly in that part of the field, that's another issue entirely. We have big targets on the roster, however.

I agree, but I wouldn't waste the money on a FA WR. It can be addressed through the draft and it really doesn't even need to be done this draft. We have Fleener and Allen that provides the size even though they are TE's. I really think a big WR is over rated especially in our system(if we keep the same system). A big WR is a luxury at this point and when we could fix virtually every weak position with the money we have this offseason, I don't think it is wise to spend that money on a luxury. A top FA WR is going to cost upwards of 60 million over 5 yrs. and that is just irresponsible IMO. 

I think a lot of people are infatuated with the idea of a bigger receiver. The truth is, the top receivers in the league aren't top receivers because of size, it's because they can run any route. Having a Megatron or a Randy Moss is nice, but honestly, how many jumpball scenarios are you really looking at per game? I think the need for an athletic freak at receiver is overstated around here at times because we've never had one. I say all of this ignoring the bigger point, which is, we already have big targets to throw to in the redzone on the roster -- Their names are Fleener and Allen. If they aren't being utilized correctly in that part of the field, that's another issue entirely. We have big targets on the roster, however.

I think we need a taller WR.  If you watch a lot of QBs they have a taller guy they can throw the ball up too.  It also happens to be the one kind of WR we don't have right now.  I think speed guys and a possession guy like Reggie are needs too for a team but we already have those.  I am not saying we need to break the bank to go get a taller WR but if we let Avery go we are going to have to replace him and we might as well replace him with a guy with some size to him since we have the other kinds of WRs. 

I was saying pretty much the same thing as you posted this.

I agree, but I wouldn't waste the money on a FA WR. It can be addressed through the draft and it really doesn't even need to be done this draft. We have Fleener and Allen that provides the size even though they are TE's. I really think a big WR is over rated especially in our system(if we keep the same system). A big WR is a luxury at this point and when we could fix virtually every weak position with the money we have this offseason, I don't think it is wise to spend that money on a luxury. A top FA WR is going to cost upwards of 60 million over 5 yrs. and that is just irresponsible IMO. 

I would have zero problem if we get one threw the the draft.  Tall WR does not = having to get a super star player like Bowe. 

I think we need a taller WR.  If you watch a lot of QBs they have a taller guy they can throw the ball up too.  It also happens to be the one kind of WR we don't have right now.  I think speed guys and a possession guy like Reggie are needs too for a team but we already have those.  I am not saying we need to break the bank to go get a taller WR but if we let Avery go we are going to have to replace him and we might as well replace him with a guy with some size to him since we have the other kinds of WRs. 

But we have big targets. Fleener and Allen.Just because they are not listed as WR's doesn't mean they can't be utilized as the big targets everybody seems to think we need.