Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Manning Attend Games?

Zachris

That's up to him.

As for preparation, I'm sure he will be watching film as much as anybody, so he'll be offering advice. There's no question there. But Peyton's also a realist: he doesn't expect Collins to mimic him out there. He will let him know what he's seeing and let Kerry do his thing.

Saw an interview with a linebacker from the Falcons who had the same surgery. Doctors told him to not even sit up for a week. I think we need to just pray that Manning has the sense to focus on rehab and forget about game to game involvement in this season until he can actually see the time where he can play again.

The first game he could be back for is Carolina without taking a chance on re-injury. If we are still in contention, he could play, but if we are not we should sit him for the year.

Saw an interview with a linebacker from the Falcons who had the same surgery. Doctors told him to not even sit up for a week. I think we need to just pray that Manning has the sense to focus on rehab and forget about game to game involvement in this season until he can actually see the time where he can play again.

the injury expert on the dan dakich show today said within a week, one would be back to doing 90% of what normal people do. that's not playing football, but he'll be capable of standing on the sidelines

Heck yes he needs to travel with the team and stay involved!!! Why sit at home and get depressed. Get out there and watch from the sidelines and help coach! Lord knows they will need aa good old fashioned Peyton talking to if they get down!

Lord knows coach needs all the timeouts errrr help he can get. go collins!!!!!

Frankly for me the report that Manning WOULDN'T travel with the team to take on the Texans told me surgery was going to happen in the near future. I didn't say anything because I had nothing to base it on other than Manning wouldn't miss a game even if he was on the sidelines unless he physically couldn't attend and I didn't want to cause a panic.

Once he's healed enough and I would say based on the great post by the doctor last night, probably in a week or two you are going to see Manning standing on the sidelines with the team and trying to help Collins anyway he can. What his exact role will be I don't know but with all due respect to our other players who have gotten hurt and not traveled they aren't Peyton Manning. Manning has always as the modern version of a player coach. Well he can't play probably for this year but he can coach. I think it would be wise for the Colts to let Manning travel is health allows for it.

Also for what it's worth per 1070, the same station that broke the Manning news, Manning is very upset with the Colts, namely Irsay and the Polians for letting this information get out about the injury and all the details that have come out about his surgery. Just take that for what it's wroth. Again it came from 1070.

I'm fine with him attending the games up in one of the boxes but definitely not on the sidelines. All it takes is for 1 play to continue out of bounds and hit Manning to ruin a career. Maybe towards the end of the season I could see him on the sidelines but in no way should he chance it earlier.

Think it would be nice for him to attend games to help out. And encourage the coaches and players. So yes, why not!

The reason why not, is because he must wear an awkward neck brace when outside of his home, he would typically wear a soft one at home. If he were to stumble and fall or get accidentally hit on the sidelines, it could be bad. SO, bottom line, I would be SHOCKED if he was anywhere near Houston. He's not even supposed to be moving around that much 48+ hours post-op. He will be encouraged to move around soon enough as therapy will start in earnest.

I didn't see a thread or post, but wanted to know people's thoughts.

Should Manning attend our games and be down there with a headset on?

Personally, I think he should. If he can't be on the field, I don't see why he couldn't be helping on the side lines, giving Collins advice and such and maybe even telling him something he sees on the field.

Caldwell said he didn't know if he would go to Houston, I say GO Manning and help us win, even if you can't be on the field.

From a health standpoint, considering his surgery, it would be entirely safe for manning to attend games and wear a headset on the sidelines as long as he feels comfortable doing so. I somewhat doubt he will do that tomorrow (to much median noise and I'm sure they'd just focus on his neck with the camera all day), but it's not impossible.

He is fine to walk around and do civilian-type activities immediately after surgery (even the day of), and he will not be required to wear a brace at any time. There would be zero risk for him to attend the game, but I suspect he doesn't want the media hassle. The surgery is trivial, the recovery for impact awaits robust bone fusion likely in 6-12 months, and the recovery for his triceps strength is dependent simply on good luck and nerve healing. Wait 4-6 weeks and if there is zero strength recovery by then we can all be pretty discouraged.

Also for what it's worth per 1070, the same station that broke the Manning news, Manning is very upset with the Colts, namely Irsay and the Polians for letting this information get out about the injury and all the details that have come out about his surgery. Just take that for what it's wroth. Again it came from 1070.

Well, then what you're saying is, Manning is mad at 1070 because it's not Polian or Irsay's fault that info leaked to JMV. JMV ran with it but Polian and Irsay (up to that point of the release of the JMV story) had not divulged any information at all. Irsay didn't tweet that Manning would be out a while until much later and Polian hadn't said a word. So the "leaker" of the info within Colts Org. is at fault, and if Manning is mad, should be at 1070 but I hardly think you can blame JMV for coming out with it.

Bottom line, Peyton will be OK with everyone once he starts feeling better. I have a feeling, he will already know the success of the surgery within a couple weeks and will start feeling much better about everything.

Well, then what you're saying is, Manning is mad at 1070 because it's not Polian or Irsay's fault that info leaked to JMV. JMV ran with it but Polian and Irsay (up to that point of the release of the JMV story) had not divulged any information at all. Irsay didn't tweet that Manning would be out a while until much later and Polian hadn't said a word. So the "leaker" of the info within Colts Org. is at fault, and if Manning is mad, should be at 1070 but I hardly think you can blame JMV for coming out with it.

Bottom line, Peyton will be OK with everyone once he starts feeling better. I have a feeling, he will already know the success of the surgery within a couple weeks and will start feeling much better about everything.

That was the point they were making, JMV got the info from some place. As someone who has worked in the media before and with JMV before for that matter I know he wouldn't run on the story unless he had that nailed down. That's the type of story you get it wrong and you become a laughing stock and no one tusts anything you say anymore. Anyways back to what they were getting at, what was being said was that the Manning is ticked at the Colts because someone had to leak it to JMV which means someone with in the brain trust had to leak it or leaked it to the person who leaked it to JMV. So that's what Manning was upset about that the brain trust let it get out of their inner circle. On top of that they went on to say Manning has not been happy with how much info that Polian and Irsay have given out since the story got out, remember Peyton wont even confirm he had twins. He doesn't like ANY information getting out there.

With that said Manning being mad doesn't mean a whole lot because there isn't much he can do other than pull a Carson Palmer and retire which he wont do unless he is forced too because he loves football too much based on everything we know about the man. He's locked in with a five year contract so even in a worst case scenario in terms of his relationship with Polian and Irsay he's kinda stuck here. With that said I am not going to make much out of the Manning be mad story. I look at it like when a family memember gets mad at each other they normally get over it pretty quickly and I am sure Peyton will as well.

That was the point they were making, JMV got the info from some place. As someone who has worked in the media before and with JMV before for that matter I know he wouldn't run on the story unless he had that nailed down. That's the type of story you get it wrong and you become a laughing stock and no one tusts anything you say anymore. Anyways back to what they were getting at, what was being said was that the Manning is ticked at the Colts because someone had to leak it to JMV which means someone with in the brain trust had to leak it or leaked it to the person who leaked it to JMV. So that's what Manning was upset about that the brain trust let it get out of their inner circle. On top of that they went on to say Manning has not been happy with how much info that Polian and Irsay have given out since the story got out, remember Peyton wont even confirm he had twins. He doesn't like ANY information getting out there.

With that said Manning being mad doesn't mean a whole lot because there isn't much he can do other than pull a Carson Palmer and retire which he wont do unless he is forced too because he loves football too much based on everything we know about the man. He's locked in with a five year contract so even in a worst case scenario in terms of his relationship with Polian and Irsay he's kinda stuck here. With that said I am not going to make much out of the Manning be mad story. I look at it like when a family memember gets mad at each other they normally get over it pretty quickly and I am sure Peyton will as well.

Well stated. It's too bad the top execs chose to leak some of that info. But you never know, perhaps some upper mgt. employee (CIO, or etc.) was a fly on the wall and perhaps was trusted and leaked it out.

So let me get this straight, Manning is mad because someone leaked info about his surgery? So when he finds out someone leaded info about him being mad, he is really gonna be mad. Then of course he'll get super mad and that info will leak out and he'll get super duper mad, then more leaks and so on and so on. Somebody better nip this in the bud right away. Sorry, the whole thing sounds ridiculous to me. Could he honestly think that this info wouldn't get out?

So let me get this straight, Manning is mad because someone leaked info about his surgery? So when he finds out someone leaded info about him being mad, he is really gonna be mad. Then of course he'll get super mad and that info will leak out and he'll get super duper mad, then more leaks and so on and so on. Somebody better nip this in the bud right away. Sorry, the whole thing sounds ridiculous to me. Could he honestly think that this info wouldn't get out?

Hey I am just passing along what I heard on the radio. Again from the same people who broke the story about Manning needing a second surgery that no one wanted to believe either.

Like I said at the end of my post I wouldn't read too much into it because I doubt Manning is going to stay that mad for very long over this and even he does too bad he's locked into a five year contract. The only option he really has is to retire and I really don't think Manning is going to be that mad over this to even think about that.

Hey I am just passing along what I heard on the radio. Again from the same people who broke the story about Manning needing a second surgery that no one wanted to believe either.

Like I said at the end of my post I wouldn't read too much into it because I doubt Manning is going to stay that mad for very long over this and even he does too bad he's locked into a five year contract. The only option he really has is to retire and I really don't think Manning is going to be that mad over this to even think about that.

My post wasn't meant as a shot towards you. I just think sometimes these media guys are just desperate for a story. I know JMV originally broke this story so he obviously has some reliable sources, but even if this is a true story, what was the point in reporting it? It's not information that anybody needs to know and is better off kept quiet. The surgery was something that people really want and need to know, but him being mad at the org. isn't.