Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An early look at WHO WILL BE OUR 2013 1ST ROUND PICK

Indyboy757

Its been said next offseason the club will pay more attention on the defensive side of the ball, so only looking at the defensive side of the ball who do you see us drafting if we pick say at 24 overall. If you are unware of who may be available or who at the time is considered a late first round talent then just speak on our biggest weakness on the defensive side of the ball...

Defensively

1.Alex Okafor 6'4 265lbs Can rush from OLB or up the middle has speed and power, from what I saw he has pass rush moves as well, Jarvis Jones should be long gone as well as Star, another defensively I would look at is Amerson and Rhodes and Te'o

Defensively

1.Alex Okafor 6'4 265lbs Can rush from OLB or up the middle has speed and power, from what I saw he has pass rush moves as well, Jarvis Jones should be long gone as well as Star, another defensively I would look at is Amerson and Rhodes and Te'o

Amerson would be a crap CB, but maybe an awesome FS. I would LOVE to get Rhodes. He's like a tested vet. Not flashy, no great stats because teams do no throw his way. Te'o would be long gone before we pick.

My first five pick I know would be gone by 24 and they are in order

1.Jarvis Jones 2.Manti Te'o 3.Star Lotulelei 4.John Hankins and last Big John Jenkin.

Now Jenkins depends on how good Chapman plays,Hankins and Lotulelei can both play NT or DE but the one guy I'm really pleased with is Te'o althought i'm aware that currently ILB is more of a strength so I suppose the correct question is what is our biggest weakness defensively? And who could come in as a rookie and fill that void?

On 2013 NFL Mock draft-NFL-Draftsite.com which is one of two best site to get a clear picture of were draft prospect should fall, here is their order of prospect 24-37.

24.Jenkins-NT

25.Austin-WR

26.Bell-RB

27.Warford-OG

28.Lester-SS

29.Poyer-CB

30.Elifer-TE

31.Fluker-OT

32.Ertz-TE33.

33.Banks-CB

34.Trevardo William-DE

35.Sylvester Williams-DT

36.Lattimore-RB

37.Randle-RB

Now judging for this list both offense and defense who would be your first round pick?

I'd like to grab Banks because I'm a Miss State homer. I hope Lattimore falls because of his injury and we pick him up in a later round kind of like we did with Chapman. Neither of those options will happen though.

Yeah I dont think Lattimore will fall as bad as Chapman did but you never know is has already fell from the top 10 but he would have to fall into the 3rd or4thround in order for us to get him but as you said I would love that myself, I haven't watched much film on Banks but I have heard alot of good things about him.How good is he?

Had to do some seaching to find both of these guys I don't think Ansah is projected as a first or second round talent which if that stands could turn out good for us. Dion Jordan is projected as a first or second round pick but on my main site he is the 19 overall pick but on my other site his name comes up late in the 3rd round but it might not have been updated yet but if we could get a good pass rusher in the 3dr thats a plus. To me SS is our biggest need but the trick is who will we go after in FA.

With more and more receiving TEs in the league, a top need is free safety to go along with Bethea. It is rare to have strong safeties who cannot play the pass anymore, teams use two free safeties to give them more flexibility recently, and Eric Reid in the middle of the 1st is who I would love to get.

The other one, like Gavin said, Alex Okafor of Texas or Sam Montgomery of LSU (if he falls a bit) for replacing Freeney.

If we go Eric Reid of LSU in round 1, I like this underrated guy named Cornellius Carradine for OLB from Florida State in round 2, he will probably be compared to Lamarr Woodley due to Seminole connections. :) (of course if we dont find much value, we should trade down in round 1 and pick up a 2nd).

We will find out how Grigson drafts when we pick in the middle of round 1 or 20s that I anticipate we will be.

If we are picking 24th, I would prefer trading back into the 2nd while also picking up a 2014 1st round pick.

If we cant do that and have to take someone, I would want whomever is available between...

DE/OLB Damontre Moore

NT John Jenkins

DE/OLB Dion Jordon

SS Matt Elam

OG Chance Warmack

Meh Jordan has nice size but his numbers are not impressive (I have never seen him play) Brandon Jenkins (if he comes out this year) has size and the numbers plus was injured this year so will likely fall some in the draft, we may be able to pick him up in the 3rd if he comes out or we could trade a future high pick and pick up a 2nd, The guy was a stud pre injury, 1 pass deflection and 5 sacks doesn't say 1st round pick to me

Yeah I dont think Lattimore will fall as bad as Chapman did but you never know is has already fell from the top 10 but he would have to fall into the 3rd or4thround in order for us to get him but as you said I would love that myself, I haven't watched much film on Banks but I have heard alot of good things about him.How good is he?

Lattimore may not even play next year, if ever again. I'm not sure if a team will pull a Willis McGahee with him since RBs are so devalued in the league now.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down for more 'money ball' types of players.

If we are picking 24th, I would prefer trading back into the 2nd while also picking up a 2014 1st round pick.

If we cant do that and have to take someone, I would want whomever is available between...

DE/OLB Damontre Moore

NT John Jenkins

DE/OLB Dion Jordon

SS Matt Elam

OG Chance Warmack

\

If we're picking at 24 and we fall back to hypothetically speaking 38 to 42, which translate to 6th to 10th in the 2nd round, it's very, very unlikely that some team will be willing to give up a 2014 #1.

First, we're not moving that far....

Second, the team moving up isn't getting that great a player to be giving up such a high price.

To move that far, you typically have to fall much further....

If we did move from 24-38, you're more likely to get that #2, and a #3 and **maybe** a 4... that's what Denver paid to move up and get Tebow....

Lots of moving parts and each draft is unique.... but what you propose, while possible, is just not likely....

Lattimore may not even play next year, if ever again. I'm not sure if a team will pull a Willis McGahee with him since RBs are so devalued in the league now.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down for more 'money ball' types of players.

not to single you out, but would people stop using the moneyball reference....it doesn't really apply to football.

Why is no one talking about this guy?

Xavier Rhodes

Career Recap: Rhodes made an immediate impact for Florida State breaking into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. In his first season of playing time, Rhodes recorded 58 tackles with four interceptions and 12 passes broken up. He was named the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. As a sophomore in 2011, Rhodes was consistent as a cover corner, and teams consequently threw away from him. He had 43 tackles with an interception and four passes broken up.

Rhodes had an interesting conclusion to his sophomore campaign. He was matched up against Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd, and Rhodes put together a phenomenal tape for NFL evaluators. Unfortunately, while providing blanket coverage against one of the best receivers in the nation, he went down in a multi-player collision in the second half. Rhodes sustained a knee strain and was held out of the end of the game. Prior to Rhodes' injury, Floyd had only three catches for 22 yards.

2012 Season Outlook: Rhodes enters the 2012 season as one of the top cornerbacks in college football. He is a headliner in a talented defense with a few future NFL players. It wouldn't be surprising if Rhodes does not record a big interception total or a large amount of passes defensed. Teams were staying away from him in 2011, and there is no reason to expect that to change. Rhodes will probably have a smaller stat line, but provide tight coverage throughout his junior season.

Skill-Set Summary: Rhodes is a big cornerback who is very physical with receivers. He does a good job in press-man coverage. Off the snap, Rhodes limits the release with a strong jam and rerouting skills. He has the speed and athletic ability to run with receivers after the jam. Rhodes does a good job of not allowing separation and keeping his man covered. Rhodes showed the ability to match up with an elite receiver in his battle against Floyd. The Irish wideout couldn't beat Rhodes with speed or size.

Rhodes is a good run defender who is capable of putting on some nice hits on ball-carriers. Rhodes would probably be best playing press-man coverage or zone coverage in the NFL. Lining up off the ball and picking up a receiver in man coverage may not be a good fit for Rhodes' skill set. In that regard, a player who is similar to Rhodes is Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick.

Meh Jordan has nice size but his numbers are not impressive (I have never seen him play) Brandon Jenkins (if he comes out this year) has size and the numbers plus was injured this year so will likely fall some in the draft, we may be able to pick him up in the 3rd if he comes out or we could trade a future high pick and pick up a 2nd, The guy was a stud pre injury, 1 pass deflection and 5 sacks doesn't say 1st round pick to me

If you like numbers you would of loved Kellen Moore...

It's not all about the numbers bro. A perfect example would be Xavier Rhodes. But I bet you never seen him play.

If you like numbers you would of loved Kellen Moore...

It's not all about the numbers bro. A perfect example would be Xavier Rhodes. But I bet you never seen him play.

I saw him a couple games actually, recorded the game vs NC State, Amersons team. Cant say much about Moore as he hasn't gotten his chance in the NFL yet and wont as back up behind Stafford, But obviously your right its not all about #'s but I think its fairly safe to assume since he was able to record many sacks that he can apply pressure and be disruptive without actually recording a sack, take Jerry Hughes for example, people dont give him as much credit for his play this season 4 sacks in 6 starts but he has also been disruptive causing QB's to have to step many times

I saw him a couple games actually, recorded the game vs NC State, Amersons team. Cant say much about Moore as he hasn't gotten his chance in the NFL yet and wont as back up behind Stafford, But obviously your right its not all about #'s but I think its fairly safe to assume since he was able to record many sacks that he can apply pressure and be disruptive without actually recording a sack, take Jerry Hughes for example, people dont give him as much credit for his play this season 4 sacks in 6 starts but he has also been disruptive causing QB's to have to step many times

Who are you talking about?

I was talking about Rhodes, a CB.

Who is this pass rusher you are talking about?

Who are you talking about?

I was talking about Rhodes, a CB.

Who is this pass rusher you are talking about?

Brandon Jenkins, I thought you were using Rhodes as an example of #'s are not everything and I also said that I am sure that Brandon Jenkins can apply plenty of pressure without having to record a sack every down, meaning even if he didnt record a sack (Jenkins) then he is still more then capable of being disruptive, I was also using Jerry Hughes for example, meaning sure Jerry doesnt have a ton of sacks(even though he is only 2 behind Mathis) but he has been disruptive without getting the high numbers in sacks yet, The same with Rhodes and his interceptions, He doesnt get the insane high #'s (such as 13 that Amerson had the previous year) because teams are not as willing to throw on him because of his coverage skills. (Hope that all makes sense)

Brandon Jenkins, I thought you were using Rhodes as an example of #'s are not everything and I also said that I am sure that Brandon Jenkins can apply plenty of pressure without having to record a sack every down, meaning even if he didnt record a sack (Jenkins) then he is still more then capable of being disruptive, I was also using Jerry Hughes for example, meaning sure Jerry doesnt have a ton of sacks(even though he is only 2 behind Mathis) but he has been disruptive without getting the high numbers in sacks yet, The same with Rhodes and his interceptions, He doesnt get the insane high #'s (such as 13 that Amerson had the previous year) because teams are not as willing to throw on him because of his coverage skills. (Hope that all makes sense)

It does. Gotcha.

not to single you out, but would people stop using the moneyball reference....it doesn't really apply to football.

I will not! (J/K) When I say moneyball, I'm talking about not spending big bucks on high priced FAs. I'd rather see Grigs spread the wealth and pick up depth at needed spots.

Im a big Noles fan....people mentioning Rhodes have good reason. He's going to be a really good CB imo. He's big and has shutdown ability.

Id love for us to somehow grab him and either Jenkins or Werner...assuming they both come out this year.

Really its BPA for us though. We could use G, SS, OLB, CB or even WR (IF* a big time talent drops like Woods).

Im a big Noles fan....people mentioning Rhodes have good reason. He's going to be a really good CB imo. He's big and has shutdown ability.

Id love for us to somehow grab him and either Jenkins or Werner...assuming they both come out this year.

Really its BPA for us though. We could use G, SS, OLB, CB or even WR (IF* a big time talent drops like Woods).

Yeah, I don't know why he doesn't get talked about more. Any time you can get a big, physical corner, that can play press coverage, you gotta take him.

Yeah, I don't know why he doesn't get talked about more. Any time you can get a big, physical corner, that can play press coverage, you gotta take him.

I'm listening to the all-mighty Peytonator from now on. His pre-season predictions will become legendary. (I'm semi-serious) :rock: