Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Belichick Show

21isSuperman

We are in agreement with everything you just said and we have been from the beginning. I never told people they couldn't post here. I just said it was weird that they needed to. Just my opinion of it.

You remember me from back then and keep in mind I have been on Colts boards long before then so you can imagine how much trash I have put up with from other fans, mostly Pats fan, over the years. A person gets to a point where he just don't care what any of them have to say. I am not being rude. I am just being honest. That's not being childish at all in my opinion.

I hear ya:) I agree with some of the trash you folks put up with over the years and you're right. If the pats weren't winning..it'd would have been some other team's fans. I mean you don't want Jags fans with 3 SBs do ya lol!

Remember Stouty on the orig colts official forum back in 03/04..before it was moderated? oo what a mouth he had:) He was funny tho...but I digress....;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this as well and like the OP, I find Belichick fascinating.

Keep in mind, for those who aren't interested in BB that this is only the 1st episode of many. They will be featuring other NFL greats. Can't remember them all, but Reggie White will be featured in a subsequent episode.

If you like football, just in general, watch this show. Even if Belichick makes you want to hurl.

As a lifelong Patriots fan, I've gobbled up every bit of info I ever could on Belichick. I read his book, have watched specials, looked into articles, etc. By all accounts, his stone-faced persona is a media thing. (And if I had a dime for every time I read someone on this board complaining about the media, well... I'd have a lot of dimes.)

Those who know him well, almost every single account I've ever seen, read, or heard, say that he's warm, friendly, engaging, and - wait for it - very funny in person. You can't judge the coach by the way he avoids potentially controversial or distraction-type questions from the media. He has little patience for answering questions posed by a 20-something beat writer who knows almost nothing (by his standards) about the game. The media side of things clearly doesn't sit well with him.

But, fact is, the man is a football genius, and probably one of the best three coaches who's ever lived. He's been in the league for more than three decades, including working for Marchibroda when the Colts were in Baltimore. His story is pretty fascinating, and I think this will be a really interesting special to watch.

Aside from being a football genius, a lot of Belichick's traits are the same for Reid. Reid doing an obligatory press conference can put an insomniac to sleep. But in interviews on sports shows, or on Sirius radio, he has much more of a personality and is actually enjoyable to listen to. His Sound FX segment on NFL Network was really entertaining. I'll have to try and catch that Belichick show.

Aside from being a football genius, a lot of Belichick's traits are the same for Reid. Reid doing an obligatory press conference can put an insomniac to sleep. But in interviews on sports shows, or on Sirius radio, he has much more of a personality and is actually enjoyable to listen to. His Sound FX segment on NFL Network was really entertaining. I'll have to try and catch that Belichick show.

There's nothing like the Andy Reid throat clear. Probably does it about 60 times per press conference.

ahem Agreed.ahem

AHEM so injuries, uh....AHEM...our backup holder had a broken fingernail...AHEM...Vick had to go to the bathroom in the middle of uh....AHEM...practice. All of his bodily processes are functioning normally...AHEM

Gotta love the Reid/Belichick press conferences. They are the best at saying something, yet saying nothing

i think he's a fascinating person, and a great football mind, and a wonderful backstory

the way he acts, and his humor , often makes me think he's the "a beautiful mind" type of the nfl

that comment about facebook and twitter he gave to the reporter (it's on youtube) was commedy gold

He's been in the league for more than three decades, including working for Marchibroda when the Colts were in Baltimore. His story is pretty fascinating, and I think this will be a really interesting special to watch.

I was coming on this thread to mention this. If memory serves he was working for next to nothing, sleeping God knows where, trying to get his foot in the door. It's not as if he was born the Patriots coach and devoted his life to making Colts fans miserable. In a different world (where Marchibroda had never been foolishly forced out) he might STILL be with the Colts. Of course he might not be as good if not for the years with Parcels, but who knows. I couldn't care less about his occasionally unpleasant manner, I've seen tons of examples of humor as well. There is no rational reason to hate the man, He's brilliant.

But then I seek out the little touches of humanity which make it hard to personally dislike someone. I don't WANT to personally dislike anyone. I was pretty sick of seeing Robert Kraft's smiling face up in the press box, but after reading about his wife and watching him hug Jeff Saturday I will never look at him the same again. Keeping an open mind is healthy and relaxing. And watching a documentary about Belichick is bound to be informative and fascinating.

I was coming on this thread to mention this. If memory serves he was working for next to nothing, sleeping God knows where, trying to get his foot in the door. It's not as if he was born the Patriots coach and devoted his life to making Colts fans miserable. In a different world (where Marchibroda had never been foolishly forced out) he might STILL be with the Colts. Of course he might not be as good if not for the years with Parcels, but who knows. I couldn't care less about his occasionally unpleasant manner, I've seen tons of examples of humor as well. There is no rational reason to hate the man, He's brilliant.

But then I seek out the little touches of humanity which make it hard to personally dislike someone. I don't WANT to personally dislike anyone. I was pretty sick of seeing Robert Kraft's smiling face up in the press box, but after reading about his wife and watching him hug Jeff Saturday I will never look at him the same again. Keeping an open mind is healthy and relaxing. And watching a documentary about Belichick is bound to be informative and fascinating.

This is all from memory, so forgive any inaccuracies...

He made something like $45/week working for Marchibroda. One of the coach's buddies ran the Howard Johnson's hotel right near BWI. He traded three rooms for season tickets, and Belichick, Marchibroda, and some of the other coaches lived at the hotel during the season.

The next season, Marchibroda went to ownership to tell them that he needed to give Belichick more money, and possibly a car, to retain him. He said the young BB was brilliant in the film room too valuable to lose. His plea was ignored though, and Belichick ended up going to Detroit... the Ford family, strangely enough, was willing to give him that car. lmao

This is all from memory, so forgive any inaccuracies...

He made something like $45/week working for Marchibroda. One of the coach's buddies ran the Howard Johnson's hotel right near BWI. He traded three rooms for season tickets, and Belichick, Marchibroda, and some of the other coaches lived at the hotel during the season.

The next season, Marchibroda went to ownership to tell them that he needed to give Belichick more money, and possibly a car, to retain him. He said the young BB was brilliant in the film room too valuable to lose. His plea was ignored though, and Belichick ended up going to Detroit... the Ford family, strangely enough, was willing to give him that car. lmao

The brilliant foresight of Robert Irsay - followed by another couple of decades in the wilderness.

After reading your response I looked on Wikipedia. Not the most reliable source of info, but they say $25/week! And I had always assumed that he had been fired from Cleveland. The site says that he resigned the off-season before they moved to BALTIMORE. Just following Parcels again, or perhaps a deep-seated resentment? Hmmmm. :D

The brilliant foresight of Robert Irsay - followed by another couple of decades in the wilderness.

After reading your response I looked on Wikipedia. Not the most reliable source of info, but they say $25/week! And I had always assumed that he had been fired from Cleveland. The site says that he resigned the off-season before they moved to BALTIMORE. Just following Parcels again, or perhaps a deep-seated resentment? Hmmmm. :D

That's funny, 'cause I swear I originally wrote $25 but that sounded wrong to me so I changed it! I've read Halberstam's book ("Education of a Coach") three or four times in the past few years, and it's an excellent one.

$25 a week is amazing to think about, and ironic when you consider all the $50 brand-new sweatshirts the man has destroyed. lmao

BTW, meant to also mention that I've had a similar transformation from the opposite side of the rivalry. Any animosity I felt toward Manning and the Colts has kind of evolved into an appreciation for how the two teams have stayed near the top for the past decade. And same goes for me... the genuine moment between Jeff Saturday and Bob Kraft was one of the more endearing moments I've seen in sports in a long time. Just goes to show at the end of the day, we're all people first.

No offense to you SuperMan, but I am going to pull out an old Bill Polian quote when asked if one of his draft picks was going to sign or not:

WHO CARES!!

lol

Who cares? Those football fans who want to learn about the greatest coach in the history of the game, and in the process, possibly learn a lot about the game we all love from the master himself.

Looking forward to it but wondering how much will be in there. I've seen various inside clips before.

One that was really cool was how he teaches in training camp. By asking questions as opposed to telling.

one perfect example.

He's talking to the D line.

BB: It's 1st and goal at the one yard line.What do you do?

Players: ummmmmmm...

BB: What's half the distance to the goal line?

Players: ummm..1/2 yard?

BB: right...so get a jump if you can as the penalty is 1/2 yard for offsides.

Looking forward to it but wondering how much will be in there. I've seen various inside clips before.

One that was really cool was how he teaches in training camp. By asking questions as opposed to telling.

one perfect example.

He's talking to the D line.

BB: It's 1st and goal at the one yard line.What do you do?

Players: ummmmmmm...

BB: What's half the distance to the goal line?

Players: ummm..1/2 yard?

BB: right...so get a jump if you can as the penalty is 1/2 yard for offsides.

I remember that one...I think it was on the '04 DVD...

Something like...

BB: 'What happens if you jump offsides'?

Players: Ummm....5 yard penalty.

BB: Half the distance to the goal line...which is what?

Players: (Holds out arms to show a larger distance)

BB: This much (Holds up thumb and pointer to show a few inches). Get a jump.

I love watching clips like that.

EDIT: Found it: Fast forward to 3:10

Belichick Sound FX

Thanks! I was looking at his son who I would guess to be in his late teens and it made me curious.

First time I have seen a pic of his wife. Beautiful woman.

As I said, I enjoyed the show. :)

Part two looks even better... I loved the lighter stuff, like Vollmer catching a punt to earn a night off for the team, and his in-game banter with Derrick Mason was R-rated but totally priceless.

BTW, that woman (the blonde) is actually his girlfriend, who also happens to be Curt Schilling's sister-in-law. He and his wife divorced a few years back.

great show. well done by NFLN. my only complaint is I'm going to want more. 2 hours will not be enough. i love the parts when he's standing in front of the team just being very blunt with them. anything involving kraft is just awkward. love the guy but he's just such a business man you can tell he's putting on for the cameras.