Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians says it is time for Andrew Luck to run the no huddle, up-tempo offense

RomanianColtsFan

I haven't listened to the press conference yet but according to this Mike Chappell tweet it looks like the time all Colts fans spoiled by Peyton Manning

has finally arrived.

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Arians: time to try the no huddle with luck. want to be able to play up tempo, be aggressive

I also liked this one

Arians: first game i've had to grade with 100 offensive plays in it.

Heard Arians talk to Mike and Mike this morning, he said they didn't go no huddle with Peyton until year 2. I'm pretty sure they went no huddle with Luck yesterday to start the game.

Yeah I found that crazy to believe. Here is Luck, going no-huddle in his 4th professional game while it took guys like Peyton a full year to get to that point. Give it some time and Luck will be no-huddle master like his predecessor.

No huddle doesn't have to do with just the QB though. The QB could know the entire playbook, but if the guys around him don't know the playcalls, the offense can't run no huddle. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that after Peyton signed his rookie deal, he got the playbook. The next day, he showed up to practice with the entire playbook memorized.

No huddle doesn't have to do with just the QB though. The QB could know the entire playbook, but if the guys around him don't know the playcalls, the offense can't run no huddle. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that after Peyton signed his rookie deal, he got the playbook. The next day, he showed up to practice with the entire playbook memorized.

Which says something about the job Shipley did yesterday.

I haven't listened to the press conference yet but according to this Mike Chappell tweet it looks like the time all Colts fans spoiled by Peyton Manning

has finally arrived.

Arians: time to try the no huddle with luck. want to be able to play up tempo, be aggressive

I also liked this one

Arians: first game i've had to grade with 100 offensive plays in it.

I said 2 weeks ago this team will turn Luck loose after the bye.... He is ready... Colin Blowherd said today on his "nation" wide ESPN broadcast that Luck is one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL right now.

And I totally agree all things being considered.... Average D, no OL = no running game, very young skill position players to work with.

Truly impressive.

Thats true, but i doubt this current team was able to pick this all up this much sooner then that team Peyton had. Peyton had some guys there that had been in the league a few years i would think they could pick things up a little better then a rookie but thats just me. I mean outside of Wayne and a couple others this entire offense and offensive line is young and new. I mean i suppose it's possible that guys back then couldn't figure out the playcalls in a years time.

Arians said today that Peyton did not run no huddle until his second year tho, and added Luck "is years ahead of any other young QB he has EVER worked with" . I heard it on Mike and Mike I think..

"Don't take us lightly... "

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8477375

Thats true, but i doubt this current team was able to pick this all up this much sooner then that team Peyton had. Peyton had some guys there that had been in the league a few years i would think they could pick things up a little better then a rookie but thats just me. I mean outside of Wayne and a couple others this entire offense and offensive line is young and new. I mean i suppose it's possible that guys back then couldn't figure out the playcalls in a years time.

Ever since Peyton has come into the league, things have changed. This includes the emphasis on knowing the playbook and the technologies available to players. Nowadays, it is much easier for players to know the playbook since all they need to do is carry around a light iPad instead of a thick binder. Not only that, but the iPad could also have suggestions as to when some plays might be run and show videos of the team performing them. All this makes it much easier for teams to run no huddle now.

Arians said today that Peyton did not run no huddle until his second year tho, and added Luck "is years ahead of any other young QB he has EVER worked with" . I heard it on Mike and Mike I think..

"Don't take us lightly... "

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=8477375

I think the same thing can be applied here as I mentioned above. Things have changed greatly. Part of this is due to Peyton, if you ask me. His cerebral approach to the game has put a strong emphasis on intelligence in QBs. I don't think it's any surprise that Luck is ahead of any QB Arians has ever worked with because of all that is available to Luck today.

For the record, I'm not a Luck hater. I'm actually a big Luck fan.

i know you guys saw the pats vs broncos game yesterday. NE's no huddle was so quick and run to perfection, hope we can get to that point soon.

NE was struggling a bit on O in the first couple of games. They have a great advantage tho... they have an O unit that does not need to substitute to do whatever they want. And the last 2 games they have put the peddle to the floor. Brady was getting killed prior, hit way too much. No huddle slows the D down..... a lot.

IMO Indy can have the same advantage, Allen, Fleener, Wayne, and Hilton or Avery. It will happen, I seen it coming week one. Just a matter of time before the staff would put all that "pressure" on Luck. He is ready.

Key to running a wicked no huddle is being able to run "all your stuff without subbing" ... Indy can do this. And a stellar QB of course.

Wow.. I can agree with you on something... Andrew WAS ready from day one. Maybe the Pag's illness will be a blessing in disguise.

i strongly disagree. football is a game; cancer is real life. i would never ever consider someone getting cancer a blessing of any kind. i would be okay with the colts never winning a game again if it meant no one in the world would ever get cancer.

Let us not the greatest prospect since Peyton Manning and John Elway endure what Manning and Elway had to, "carry the team more on their backs".

Give Luck some help now and a lot of help soon, and Luck will make some noise in the playoffs before his rookie contract is over.

i strongly disagree. football is a game; cancer is real life. i would never ever consider someone getting cancer a blessing of any kind. i would be okay with the colts never winning a game again if it meant no one in the world would ever get cancer.

Oh brother... I will say this once. IMO, I felt Pagono was too conservative. The fact he has left the sideline (for whatever reason, and the OC taking over) Is IMO a blessing. Arians is going to turn Luck loose, we don't know if Pagono ever would have? So, WHEN coach gets well.... he will have seen what his young QB can DO.

I in NO WAY insinuated I am happy about Mr. Pagono's illness. Only that there may be a silver lining... and it is all JMO.

K :)

Oh brother... I will say this once. IMO, I felt Pagono was too conservative. The fact he has left the sideline (for whatever reason, and the OC taking over) Is IMO a blessing. Arians is going to turn Luck loose, we don't know if Pagono ever would have? So, WHEN coach gets well.... he will have seen what his young QB can DO.

I in NO WAY insinuated I am happy about Mr. Pagono's illness. Only that there may be a silver lining... and it is all JMO.

K :)

i just got rubbed the wrong way, and maybe i took it the wrong way. i feel like you shouldn't have worded it as "maybe pag's illness will be a blessing..." that was the part that got me. sorry

Each team has a portion of the playbook installed in the 2 minute drill, and those plays are a lot of times worked on more since teams spend time working on the 2-minute drill. There is no reason not to go to it. If the QB calls play x in the huddle, then the receivers/lineman either know their assignment or not and the only difference is the speed of recalling what the assignment is.

Not many teams run a full-speed fast paced Esiason/Kelly no-huddle, and I don't see that happening in Indy either, but Arians can still call the plays and have the QB communicate it which would hopefully take advantage of matchup issues.

Another thing to take into account with this team is like Reggie was saying in his postgame interview, this team has not really put a full 60 min together on either side of the ball. Then he said when they do start getting there or close to it that they are probably gonna be pretty good. I think this is an accurate point. We really have only seen this team play maybe 30 min of football and by this I mean solid football. Once we start bringing things together for a full 60 min and get these kinks ironed out were gonna be a scarry team. But before we reach this point there is still alot of things that have to improve and most likley some upgrades that are gonna need to be made. I would say we may start to see them put together a couple full 60 min games near the end of this season and then going into next season.

Wow.. I can agree with you on something... Andrew WAS ready from day one. Maybe the Pag's illness will be a blessing in disguise.

I know what you were getting at... but that's still a pretty tasteless thing to say.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the ground game took off more once they took the training wheels off Luck. He should at least have had the freedom to audible them out of bad run plays from day one.

I do think he's ready for it, but let's be honest - how did the Colts get back into the game yesterday? They did so with defense - forcing a turnover, sacking Rodgers - and running the ball effectively. If the defense and runnning game don't show up, they would have lost by four TDs, even though they were attempting to play up-tempo.

Goodness, this thread has taken a bizarre turn... maybe even more than one bizarre turn...

Several thoughts, in no specific order... :ranton:

-- If we haven't gone no huddle enough prior to yesterday, I expect there was a very good reason, whether we ever know it or not. The idea that we're sitting here wondering why this wasn't done sooner is mystifying to me.

-- I seriously doubt Pagano was laying in his hospital bed shouting at the TV screen "Bruce, what are you doing? Andrew isn't ready for the no huddle yet!" Give me a break.

-- I also seriously doubt Luck didn't have the green light to audible from week one. I've never heard of a starting NFL QB who didn't. I don't know where this stuff comes from?!?

-- Glad everyone now thinks Arians is suddenly this great offensive mind. Prior to yesterday, there was a sizable group here that wasn't all that impressed with Arians. Now, an upset win and people think Pagano's illness is a 'blessing in disguise'.... Like if Pagano was on the sidelines yesterday he would've kept the offense under wraps. This is nonsense. Arians is the same guy he was before yesterday. A very good OC. If he showed more yesterday than before, there's a reason for it.

Those reasons could include...

-- The rest of the team has caught up with Luck and the playbook.

-- The OL, which has changed every week, was playing better. (It should be noted however, that we played 3 backs-ups)

-- The bye week was helpful to everyone -- including Luck.

-- We were aided, in part, by Packer injuries, including Rajii.

-- Something else that we don't know about.

-- Combination of some/all of the above.

Man this is a strange, strange thread. Who'da thunk there would be a downside to such a great win?? :rantoff:

Well we used it most of the game last week other than third downs so while Arians said it we were already doing it.

Also I don't think Luck was the hold up in going to the no huddle it was all the other rookies and new players on offense that I think was the hold up. I think Luck could have walked in and ran the no huddle based on what they said about him and the offense he ran in college.

No Arians is exactly what he was. Extremely predictable.

In the first half. But he broke his mold a little bit yesterday, running weakside from bunch formations, putting receivers in motion in heavy sets and then throwing, using receivers to run block on the backside, etc. There were some wrinkles in there yesterday that I think were a little more creative than what we've been doing the first three weeks. I haven't charted any of the games, so my mind might be playing tricks on me. And being down three scores might have something to do with it as well. But I thought his playcalling was much more fluid yesterday than it has been so far this year, including preseason.

In the first half. But he broke his mold a little bit yesterday, running weakside from bunch formations, putting receivers in motion in heavy sets and then throwing, using receivers to run block on the backside, etc. There were some wrinkles in there yesterday that I think were a little more creative than what we've been doing the first three weeks. I haven't charted any of the games, so my mind might be playing tricks on me. And being down three scores might have something to do with it as well. But I thought his playcalling was much more fluid yesterday than it has been so far this year, including preseason.

Right On Bro...

We might be better than you think. These are the team defensive leaders for 2012 so far.

Net Total Yards Leaders

RK TEAM YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G

1 Houston 1092 273.0 731 182.8 361 90.3 56 14.0

2 Dallas 1110 277.5 678 169.5 432 108.0 88 22.0

3 Pittsburgh 1120 280.0 739 184.8 381 95.3 89 22.3

4 Detroit 1263 315.8 852 213.0 411 102.8 114 28.5

5 Seattle 1293 258.6 960 192.0 333 66.6 70 14.0

6 San Francisco 1313 262.6 906 181.2 407 81.4 68 13.6

7 Indianapolis 1444 361.0 909 227.3 535 133.8 110 27.5

Just based on groupings... I haven't charted it in a way that teams have, but just based on personnel groupings he's still extremely predictable.

Obviously the score dictates that to a point and D&D does as well, but he still needs to mix things up.

Just based on groupings... I haven't charted it in a way that teams have, but just based on personnel groupings he's still extremely predictable.

Obviously the score dictates that to a point and D&D does as well, but he still needs to mix things up.

Give you a for instance: Dwayne Allen's touchdown.

We went heavy personnel on 1st and goal from the 9 yard line. All three tight ends on the field, Fleener tight on the left, Jones tight and offset on the right, Allen in the backfield at fullback, offset to the right, and Ballard at running back. Avery was the lone receiver, wide to the right.

That's a run formation, a run situation, and run personnel.

We go quick playaction, Allen releases into the right flat, and Luck pivots to find him as a first read. This is what I've been wanting to see. We got great protection, the Packers were responsive to the play fake, and it goes for 6.

The first play of the next possession, we ran it for a first down out of a 3-1-1 set with Brown: Wayne and Avery to the left, Hilton to the right with Allen at tight end on the right. Next play, same personnel, but bunch right with Wayne, Hilton and Allen, and we ran a dive with Brown for nine yards; he had to bounce it outside. Next play, same personnel, Allen tight right, Hilton outside right, Wayne slot left, Avery wide left, and we go play action, then Luck dumps it off to Allen for 9 yards.

At this point in the game, we're running the no-huddle, and this possession hasn't produced a third down yet. McGlynn got hurt after the Allen reception, but even with a dead clock, we keep the same 3-1-1 personnel. Bunch left with Wayne, Hilton and Avery, we motion Wayne to the right, then run off tackle to the right for another 10 yards. McGlynn comes back in, but we still keep the same personnel, this time with Luck in shotgun. Then he throws three incompletions: an overthrow to Wayne on the left side, the near pick (out of empty backfield, but same personnel), then under pressure from the gun he throws it away. The drive ends with AV's field goal.

Like I said, I haven't charted the game, but in a crucial spot, he called a nice variety of plays from the same personnel set, mixing the run with the pass, adding some play action, and staying in a no-huddle. Looked a lot like the Manning/Moore offense, just with more motion. An old fashioned Indy route with Wayne and Hilton on the right side would have done some good, given the way the Packers were playing mostly man coverage. I didn't like the third down play, with Allen wide right, and the pressure got in and broke the play up.

But, there was a lot of what I've been hoping to see, and not a lot of trickery or overly complicated motion. It was a static grouping that we were able to do practically anything we wanted to out of. Much improved from a play calling standpoint, I think.

Give you a for instance: Dwayne Allen's touchdown.

We went heavy personnel on 1st and goal from the 9 yard line. All three tight ends on the field, Fleener tight on the left, Jones tight and offset on the right, Allen in the backfield at fullback, offset to the right, and Ballard at running back. Avery was the lone receiver, wide to the right.

That's a run formation, a run situation, and run personnel.

We go quick playaction, Allen releases into the right flat, and Luck pivots to find him as a first read. This is what I've been wanting to see. We got great protection, the Packers were responsive to the play fake, and it goes for 6.

The first play of the next possession, we ran it for a first down out of a 3-1-1 set with Brown: Wayne and Avery to the left, Hilton to the right with Allen at tight end on the right. Next play, same personnel, but bunch right with Wayne, Hilton and Allen, and we ran a dive with Brown for nine yards; he had to bounce it outside. Next play, same personnel, Allen tight right, Hilton outside right, Wayne slot left, Avery wide left, and we go play action, then Luck dumps it off to Allen for 9 yards.

At this point in the game, we're running the no-huddle, and this possession hasn't produced a third down yet. McGlynn got hurt after the Allen reception, but even with a dead clock, we keep the same 3-1-1 personnel. Bunch left with Wayne, Hilton and Avery, we motion Wayne to the right, then run off tackle to the right for another 10 yards. McGlynn comes back in, but we still keep the same personnel, this time with Luck in shotgun. Then he throws three incompletions: an overthrow to Wayne on the left side, the near pick (out of empty backfield, but same personnel), then under pressure from the gun he throws it away. The drive ends with AV's field goal.

Like I said, I haven't charted the game, but in a crucial spot, he called a nice variety of plays from the same personnel set, mixing the run with the pass, adding some play action, and staying in a no-huddle. Looked a lot like the Manning/Moore offense, just with more motion. An old fashioned Indy route with Wayne and Hilton on the right side would have done some good, given the way the Packers were playing mostly man coverage. I didn't like the third down play, with Allen wide right, and the pressure got in and broke the play up.

But, there was a lot of what I've been hoping to see, and not a lot of trickery or overly complicated motion. It was a static grouping that we were able to do practically anything we wanted to out of. Much improved from a play calling standpoint, I think.

Sure, Just like when they went 4 or was it 5 wide? and Luck drops back and runs the draw? There are instances, that go against the statistical data, but that particular play you mentioned I had pass in mind. He needs to look at the tendencies and run some plays that disrupt them even if the main goal is just to try to get the opponents guessing.

In the 2nd half down by whatever at various stages, sure it's going to be tilted to the pass, but even then he could mix up some groupings more.

Like I said, the charting I've done is just a simple one based on the # of WRs vs. TEs on the field and the only one that is somewhat complicated to predict(when ignoring D&D) is the 2te2wr set. Anything else it's a pretty safe guess on what it will be and I'm sure defenses have it charted out even more whether R/L, inside/outside, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see the 2te2wr base, with Fleener/Allen flexed out into the slot more, so that they can go somewhat heavy into more of a 3wr set, so if they catch the defense in a scheme where that grouping can capitalize on that drive a lot like like Manning/Moore would do with Dilger/Pollard/Clark/etc over the years.