Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sports Reporters On The Colts

Smonroe

If you didn't catch the Sports Reporters on ESPN today, I think you can watch it on-line.

It was almost comical listening to their Colts demise discussion. We've heard it all before, the window is closed, without Manning we're the worst team in the league, even with Manning we're a bad team, etc.

I tried to listen to them objectively, and if you didn't know the real story, they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. One of the guys actually said he watched the first game and could tell we weren't a good team. The O-Line is horrible, etc.

Apparently they didn't watch the GB game, or it didn't fit into their argument so they ignored it.

It makes me wonder if they research anything they talk about or if they just spew out whatever it's popular to believe.

(Sorry for the long rant, it's not a good way to start a Sunday morning)

If you watched our games this pre-season, YES, there are many concerns. GB game was an improvement but not an answer. Peyton will not have the protection he once had (prior to 3 years ago) and this could be the worst offensive line in 10 years.

You could have been on the panel. You have the right to your opinion, but most people think this could be our best O-line since Glenn and Scott left. I'd be interested in why you think totally opposite of that.

It's also our deepest and possibly best D-Line in the last 10 years.

Yes, all has to be proven. But anyone who's watched the Colts has to be optimistic.

It's hard for people who aren't accustomed to our (from a fans perspective) wretched approach to preseason games. It's almost like the staff wants to put players in a relatively poor position with vanilla schemes, unlikely starting lineups and substitutions and see how they respond. It's like they want to evaluate mental toughness and how the players respond to adversity. We have had some pretty resilient teams when it comes to mounting comebacks and dealing with injuries over the last several years...

You could have been on the panel. You have the right to your opinion, but most people think this could be our best O-line since Glenn and Scott left. I'd be interested in why you think totally opposite of that.

It's also our deepest and possibly best D-Line in the last 10 years.

Yes, all has to be proven. But anyone who's watched the Colts has to be optimistic.

Remember do to lockout this line hasnt worked much together, expect it to learn with every game and expect sooner or later Ijalana to be a starter

Meanwhile my worry is the experience if peyton is in game one, that is when he is in , & Wade Phillips tries to play on line weaknesses and Peyton takes tons of hits like last year after getting rid of ball

If any so called sports analyst forms an opinion on how good or bad any team is in preseason then they should be fired. Its just like if you watched the Detroit and New England game last night, Detroit absolutey kicked the crap out of the Pats, but do I believe that Detroit is actually that much better than the Pats? Absolutely not! I can't even listen to any of these * anymore, everytime I know they are gonna talk about the Colts I turn the channel, it is just that stupid.

I'm tired of these analysts saying this is the downfall of the Colts and it's the year of the Texans. If and when and it probably will happen, we get on a winning streak and somewhere down the line we're i.e. 8-2 and they start saying something like "I like what the Colts are doing, I think they have a legitimate shot at clinching the division and home-field advantage..." I don't want to hear it.

are you trying to say last year's o-line was magnificent or what are you trying to say. Did you even read my post? Read before commenting.

I think what coltscrean was saying, is that last year's O-line was about as bad as it gets... and we still went to the playoffs. This year's O line is already showing signs of being better than last.

So it's kinda hard to go all "gloom and doom" when our O-line might be better, and our defensive line is looking pretty darn good.

If any so called sports analyst forms an opinion on how good or bad any team is in preseason then they should be fired. Its just like if you watched the Detroit and New England game last night, Detroit absolutey kicked the crap out of the Pats, but do I believe that Detroit is actually that much better than the Pats? Absolutely not! I can't even listen to any of these * anymore, everytime I know they are gonna talk about the Colts I turn the channel, it is just that stupid.

Yes, that was my point. One of the guys actually was basing his analysis of how bad the Colts O-line is on the first preseason game. That's just plain lazy reporting. When you're just regurgitating what people have said because it's commonly wrong, you have no business giving your opinion as 'an expert'.

Apparently he couldn't spend ten minutes to do a little research prior to spouting off. It really makes me wonder if anything they say has a basis in reality or if they just enjoy listening to their own voices.

are you trying to say last year's o-line was magnificent or what are you trying to say. Did you even read my post? Read before commenting.

I'm still interested in why you think this O-line could be the worst in 10 years? Have you watched the preseason games and not seen improvements? Do you think AC is a bust? I just don't get it. (although I love seeing Farley. Living in a van down by the river!)

Obviously we all have a horse in this race (+1pun) but from the outside looking in, you'd have to recognize what people see. A team with a history of winning, yet a team with a history of bad running game, bad defense, and bad special teams. Now factor in the legitimate worry about Peyton Manning, and the stars have aligned, if anyones going to be right about our demise, this is the year, so everyone is getting on board. Now, we wait.

If you listen to the media:

-we should be going 10-6 or 9-7 every year

-Manning's window closed a few years ago

-Manning would never have won the Super Bowl

-the Colts would have lost the Super Bowl because it was outdoors

-the Colts are soft, we get run on and punched in the mouth

-Houston should have won the division for the last 3 years

-the defense is too small to win

If you watched our games this pre-season, YES, there are many concerns. GB game was an improvement but not an answer. Peyton will not have the protection he once had (prior to 3 years ago) and this could be the worst offensive line in 10 years.

Umm... no. Our OL last year was one of the worst in a long time. Actually, this years line looks somewhat promising IMO.

I dunno about you guys, but I absolutely love everyone saying we are done. I think it takes a slight amount of pressure off of our new guys. Also, I would much rather be under the radar than having everyone watching our every move and game planning for us all season. Let them keep doubting us. I think we will surprise a lot of people this year. I also love how NO ONE, other than the people on these forums, talk about our vastly improved defensive line. People might start talking about us more when they realize they won't be able to run all over us like they have in the past.

Guest BlueShoe

This is the best O-Line since Tarik Glenn left. Yeah we have a small issue at RT until Ijalana is ready, but we can run the ball and protect Peyton's blind side now.

I don't know what you've been watching, but it is obviously not the Colts play.

This is the best O-Line since Tarik Glenn left. Yeah we have a small issue at RT until Ijalana is ready, but we can run the ball and protect Peyton's blind side now.

I don't know what you've been watching, but it is obviously not the Colts play.

He doesn't get television in his van down by the river lmao sorry couldn't resist!

Ok, so after reading your comment here and the other one below about reading before posting, Ive got to say, maybe you should try watching the Colts for a bit before posting.

Last years O-line was horrible. The year before wasnt much better.

So Ill give you the other one too to make your "prior to 3 years ago" statement true.

What I dont get is the part after that, about being the worst line in 10 years.

How so? You still havent made any points to back up that line of thought.

Why do you think its so bad?

Ill tell you why its good, and by mid season, I think it will be about as good as any they have had since Manning has been here.

LT - Done. Castonzo seems to be the real deal. Obviously time will tell, but he has had noticeable improvements every week. If that keeps up he can handle the left side all alone by the end of the year! Ok, joke...but really, he is improving every week. No reason to think he isnt a franchise LT.

LG - Good with Reitz, and there are decent backups.

Reitz is just getting started. I believe he will be another guy that becomes a fixture at his position. Something the Colts have lacked at all positions but Center for a number of years now.

C - Duh.

RG - Good as its gonna get. Diem is solid there. Again, there are going to be capable backups should something happen.

RT - I suppose you could say its the only real dark spot on the line. Linkenbach is not the long term answer, but he is serviceable until Ijilana can take over for good, which I would hope would be in the first 1/3 of the season.

As far as actual lineman go, yeah there are a lot of new/newer guys in there, but with reps, and staying at their positions instead of being moved all over, will continue to show improvement across the board.

Hopefully that includes Link. If not, fine. Ijilana will come along in time.

Besides, there are a few other guys that help keep Manning clean too:

Addai, Clark, Eldridge.

I dont see how anyone can look at the line from the first preseason game until now, and see how they have improved in just 3 games, and think its going to be worse than last year, or any year for that matter in recent memory.

Unless they just arent watching and actually seeing the improvement...

If you listen to the media:

-we should be going 10-6 or 9-7 every year

-Manning's window closed a few years ago

-Manning would never have won the Super Bowl

-the Colts would have lost the Super Bowl because it was outdoors

-the Colts are soft, we get run on and punched in the mouth

-Houston should have won the division for the last 3 years

-the defense is too small to win

Yea this is pretty much said every year by reporters, its quit comical

I think this is actually great. What you heard last year was about Dallas and how they could be the first team to host a superbowl. This year you don't hear any talk like that at all.

We are no longer the "marked" team. Teams like the Eagles, Pats (arguably always marked), and Packers are marked.

I know we have a tough schedule, but I feel like we are not a measuring stick anymore. Kind of like that 2003 team, we were just another team.

Kind of odd, because we play the same teams as in 2003.

Conversely, did anyone see what happened after the Patriots got smoked by the Lions?

For two weeks, we heard about "Terrific Tom and the Patriots poised for a run," and "Everything's humming in Foxboro..."

Then their first team gets smashed by Suh, Stafford, and the Motor City Kitties and there wasn't a freaking word about it. Nothing. An article arrives late the next day describing just how meaningless the pre-season is, and how we can't gauge anything based on these exhibitions.

When the Patriots are looking sharp, the pre-season counts.

When the Patriots look like most pre-season teams, it doesn't count.

Same with the Colts, but in reverse.

Conversely, did anyone see what happened after the Patriots got smoked by the Lions?

For two weeks, we heard about "Terrific Tom and the Patriots poised for a run," and "Everything's humming in Foxboro..."

Then their first team gets smashed by Suh, Stafford, and the Motor City Kitties and there wasn't a freaking word about it. Nothing. An article arrives late the next day describing just how meaningless the pre-season is, and how we can't gauge anything based on these exhibitions.

Yeah, that was quite a spanking.

I know it's just preseason, but I enjoyed watching it anyways ;)

But, yes... point taken. It's just preseason.

Isn't that the truth!! it's almost comical.

So true, so true. No disrespect to the Pats. My opinion is that this is preseason; it was just a few years ago that the Lions went 4-0 in preseason, then 0-16 during the regular season. The Colts did have a pretty good game against the Pack, but it's still preseason.

1. Colts have more depth @ the RB position than they have had since I can remember

2. Colts have more depth at the DT position

3. Colts OL in the pre season has looked better than they have for awhile

4. Colts seem to have a better rush blocking line (I hope this stays that way)

5. Colts have more depth @ LB with the addition of Sims and the play of Conner than they've had for awhile

6. The new ST rules will help the Colts (in terms of kickoffs) I don't expect to see other teams conistantly start on the 30-40 multiple times with Mcafee booming it deep into the endzone

7. The Colts seem fairly healthy thus far and if it remains that way, how can they be worse than last year

8. Colts have potential to stop the run this year for once!!

Worries: the rustiness of Peyton, hopefully he will be ready to roll week 1. Slightly worried about pass protection, really only the right side of the OL. I think A.C will be ready to roll for sure as a solid starter for the regular season. He's smart, strong and a quick learner. Also slightly worried about the play of Bullit and Lacey. However the CBs and Safties still have great potential with Tryon, Powers, Bethea, & I see great hard hitting potential in the young guys Kevin Thomas and Joe Lefeged.

How could we be worse than our injury riddled season last year in which we lost by 1 pt to a potential super bowl contender???

It truely doesnt bother me as a fan what the talking heads say, if I were a coach I would be perfectly content with what the media is suggesting. For the first time in a while we dont have a definative bulls eye on us, for a change we may be under estimated by teams, its so much easier to win when no one expects you to have a chance. As long as our players dont buy into the media nonsense, which with our track record for winning I doubt they will. Then perception of our o-line doesnt matter. As long as qb has time and they can create creases for the rbs.

If I am picking something to worry about or that will hurt us, its our sp. Teams play, and our secondary holding up on those long grinding drives.

haha thats so funny. I had never seen that.

We never get good praises or respect from the press. I dont see how they dont see we are not a preseason or practice team when the game is real we step up i dont know why or how but we do. Would i like to see it in preseason? heck ya but as long as we got it when it counts thats all that matters. And i think the negativity just drives Manning and the rest of the team to prove them wrong so keep it up!

If you didn't catch the Sports Reporters on ESPN today, I think you can watch it on-line.

It was almost comical listening to their Colts demise discussion. We've heard it all before, the window is closed, without Manning we're the worst team in the league, even with Manning we're a bad team, etc.

I tried to listen to them objectively, and if you didn't know the real story, they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. One of the guys actually said he watched the first game and could tell we weren't a good team. The O-Line is horrible, etc.

Apparently they didn't watch the GB game, or it didn't fit into their argument so they ignored it.

It makes me wonder if they research anything they talk about or if they just spew out whatever it's popular to believe.

(Sorry for the long rant, it's not a good way to start a Sunday morning)

I am kinda unclear on how what anything they said wasn't pretty much on target? Play 16 games with Curtis Painter at QB this season and we win maybe 3 and that is being nice. We are getting older in some very key positions and on the flip side are putting our trust in some very raw young guys in key positions, one being protecting our againg QB. Add on to that the fact that said aging QB isn't at 100%, has had zero practice and zero in game action and won't be 100% for a while and not real sure how what they said was that off? I think many here are "hopeing" for 1 last run, right now we need to hope we can have a respectful season and that our new GM can add some more talent next offseason.