Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr. Clutch on his way out?

Nobody

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the question I ask every person who say he's on the way out or should be gone...

Who would we replace him with? Draft a kicker? heck no, no rookie kicker can do what Adam does on a consistent basis.

He's clutch, he's still gotta leg, and even though he missed 2 relatively short kicks, he's still better than a lot of kickers out there.

I don't really see the benefit in cutting him at this point. I personally don't know who Eric Smith is, but don't tend to give a writer who says "we" when referring to his subject (unless it is biographical).....especially in sports. You don't cut one of the greatest in history due to a couple of missed kicks. Now, if we are still having this conversation in week 8 because issues have continued....there may be some traction and concern.

To everyone asking who we would get instead, first off, it's not MY opinion that we should/are cutting Adam, and Pat is taking over for Adam as kicker, you all know that. I wouldn't mind keeping a somewhat inaccurate kicker in Pat at punter, and drafting/signing a rookie kicker this offseason,seeing how well Blair Walsh and Justin Tucker have done on their teams already.

This is a stupid article of one persons opinion. We wont get anyone better.

Key word - opinion... he states AV is "on the verge of getting cut", but I didn't see any quotes from Irsay or Grigson or anyone else in position to make that call, or to have the inside track on any such info.

Personally, I feel this very likely could be his last year with the team, but IMO he's going to have to really go into the tank to be cut mid-season. But really, who knows? What if he gets hot & finishes the season strong?

As if the coach would say he is going to be cut.

I doubt the coach would, but I did read something interesting about A.J. Smith today.

It has to stop. I believe you can improve in ball security. And no one works any harder in trying to get better than Ryan. However, if it continues he will play less,” Smith told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego. “Extremely talented players like Ryan get multiple opportunities to improve.

“What happens to fumblers is, first, they play less. Second, if it continues while they’re playing on a limited basis, then you don’t play for a while and you get to sit and think about it. Third, when you get the call to go back on the field and the fumbling continues, then you will be somebody else’s fumbler.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/a-j-smith-puts-mathews-on-notice-for-fumbling-problems/

The more he talks, the more he proves that Eli Manning was 100% right when he wanted no part of the San Diego Chargers.

Here's the question I ask every person who say he's on the way out or should be gone...

Who would we replace him with? Draft a kicker? heck no, no rookie kicker can do what Adam does on a consistent basis.

He's clutch, he's still gotta leg, and even though he missed 2 relatively short kicks, he's still better than a lot of kickers out there.

I'm pretty sure a rookie can make chip shot field goals. I mean look at pat. Came in and punted better than hunter smith who was also good. Look at the guy who replaced Adam as kicker in NE.... Pretty sure it can happen. Adam ain't that good anymore.

I think it would have been nice to have a rookie, or whoever is on the team now, kick this season and go through the growing pains with the rest of the team since we're rebuilding. It would suck to have a good team next year and have the growing pains of a new kicker holding the team back.

I think it would have been nice to have a rookie, or whoever is on the team now, kick this season and go through the growing pains with the rest of the team since we're rebuilding. It would suck to have a good team next year and have the growing pains of a new kicker holding the team back.

If it's judged that Vinatieri is not worth the money and he's cut.... then, I suspect we'll go out and sign a veteran kicker and we won't have to worry about signing some unproven kicker.

Just my hunch, but doesn't seem unreasonable....

Yeah Adam is soooo washed up he even kicked a 53 yard field goal to beat minnesota 2 weeks ago to prove it! COME ON MAN the guy is still a great kicker, alot of great kickers miss field goals once in awhile, he might not miss another one the whole year! For my money he's still one of the best kickers in the league especially in the clutch, the guy that wrote the article is a total *!

I'm pretty sure a rookie can make chip shot field goals. I mean look at pat. Came in and punted better than hunter smith who was also good. Look at the guy who replaced Adam as kicker in NE.... Pretty sure it can happen. Adam ain't that good anymore.

I am sure a rookie can however if you are going to make a move to a rookie kicker you don't do that in the middle of the season when you have a kicker with the track record of Adam. You do what the Pats did when they let Adam go they made getting a kicker a priority in the off-season. They didn't just do it in the middle of the season because at this point in the season most of the players not on a roster aren't on a roster for a reason. They aren't going to go be better than the players who are on a current roster.

It's been said before if we cut Adam right now we save no money for this season. So if we cut him it would have to be because of performance issues alone. I am sorry but it's going to take more than two missed field goals for a kicker with the track record of Adam's to get him released because of performances issues. That would be like the Saints cutting Drew Brees right now because he's not off to the start they would like.

It's also not looking at everything he's done to this point in the season. Namely the game winner he hit from 53 yards. So to say Adam "ain't" that good anymore is a pretty silly statement and I doubt you or anyone else was saying that after he kicked the field goal to beat the Vikings. He's missed two kicks he slipped on one field goal. That happens to all kickers. The other one he pushed again it happens. There are two reasons I would bet why he pushed those kicks. First the Jags were getting very good penetration on the right hand side and then the other thing is that I would guess on the second kick he was focusing on not over correcting from the first kick and didn't correct enough or hey maybe he just had a bad game it can happen to kickers too. If Adam had missed four of the five kicks he had taken this year or goes on to making misses a consistent theme this season then I would agree with it's time to part ways with Adam. However, that hasn't happened to Adam. Again if people have followed Adam's career this is what he does, he misses some field goals he normally wouldn't here or there generally speaking early in the season but he comes threw in the clutch. That's why Adam is here and you need to look no further than the Vikings game to see just why he still holds value in that regard. Heck even in the Jags game he still hit the field he HAD to hit.

With all due respect to Eric Smith who is on site called Rantsports it's going to take a little more than his story with no quotes from anyone to make me think there is truth to this story. His last line offers a lot in terms of me thinking this is an opinion peace. Normally when someone is reporting a news story they leave their opinion out of it but to say "He’s just lost a step and there’s nothing us or Vinatieri can do about it. He’s had a great career, but it’s time to move on." is a clear opinion.

People can believe what they would like in regard to this but till Adam is either released or till we start hearing this from reporters who have been heard of before or on sites that have proven to be good news sources I am not going to read too much into it.

I am sure a rookie can however if you are going to make a move to a rookie kicker you don't do that in the middle of the season when you have a kicker with the track record of Adam. You do what the Pats did when they let Adam go they made getting a kicker a priority in the off-season. They didn't just do it in the middle of the season because at this point in the season most of the players not on a roster aren't on a roster for a reason. They aren't going to go be better than the players who are on a current roster.

It's been said before if we cut Adam right now we save no money for this season. So if we cut him it would have to be because of performance issues alone. I am sorry but it's going to take more than two missed field goals for a kicker with the track record of Adam's to get him released because of performances issues. That would be like the Saints cutting Drew Brees right now because he's not off to the start they would like.

It's also not looking at everything he's done to this point in the season. Namely the game winner he hit from 53 yards. So to say Adam "ain't" that good anymore is a pretty silly statement and I doubt you or anyone else was saying that after he kicked the field goal to beat the Vikings. He's missed two kicks he slipped on one field goal. That happens to all kickers. The other one he pushed again it happens. There are two reasons I would bet why he pushed those kicks. First the Jags were getting very good penetration on the right hand side and then the other thing is that I would guess on the second kick he was focusing on not over correcting from the first kick and didn't correct enough or hey maybe he just had a bad game it can happen to kickers too. If Adam had missed four of the five kicks he had taken this year or goes on to making misses a consistent theme this season then I would agree with it's time to part ways with Adam. However, that hasn't happened to Adam. Again if people have followed Adam's career this is what he does, he misses some field goals he normally wouldn't here or there generally speaking early in the season but he comes threw in the clutch. That's why Adam is here and you need to look no further than the Vikings game to see just why he still holds value in that regard. Heck even in the Jags game he still hit the field he HAD to hit.

With all due respect to Eric Smith who is on site called Rantsports it's going to take a little more than his story with no quotes from anyone to make me think there is truth to this story. His last line offers a lot in terms of me thinking this is an opinion peace. Normally when someone is reporting a news story they leave their opinion out of it but to say "He’s just lost a step and there’s nothing us or Vinatieri can do about it. He’s had a great career, but it’s time to move on." is a clear opinion.

People can believe what they would like in regard to this but till Adam is either released or till we start hearing this from reporters who have been heard of before or on sites that have proven to be good news sources I am not going to read too much into it.

Actually, I been sayin he "ain't" that good for the past three years including this season. When he's up to kick I fear a miss, every time.

Actually, I been sayin he "ain't" that good for the past three years including this season. When he's up to kick I fear a miss, every time.

Well in the past three years he is 4 of 6, 23 of 27 and 26 of 28 or 53 of 61 or just 8 missed kicks over that time so if you live in fear of that then I don't know what to tell you. He's human he's going to miss kicks here and there but 87% for a kicker over a three year span isn't bad and is frankly better than his career % of 83%. Like I said this is par for the course with Adam. He misses kicks normally early but what has made him a "great" kicker is what he does in clutch situations and this season he's come threw on the two kicks he HAD to hit.

Punting and kicking field goals are very very different. Comparing Pat taking over Hunter to a new guy taking over Adam is extremely irrelevant.

Why isn't Adam very good anymore? 85% (23-27) last year, 93% (26-28) the year before, a 52 yard game winner this year and a 55 yarder in the preseason, and then suddenly he misses 2 37 yarders in the preseason and suddenly he's not good anymore. So two pretty bad misses after all the greatness he's had over the last 2 years (including good work this year) means we should cut him. Talk about a rash decision. It's funny you say he's been bad for "awhile" now, but really after looking at his stats and watching him play, he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Do you have something against him?

You gave me an example, and one example at that. For that one example, there are 3 instances where the successor has done badly. Do you want me to name them, because Im a bit of a statbook geek when it comes to this.

Don't think because it's happened in the past, it will happen here. Plus, THEY WOULD NEVER DO IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON!

:applause:

Everything you just said was on the money! Can't believe people actually think Adam's gonna be cut and in the middle of the season!!

Yep, lets just cut one of the the best clutch kickers EVER :facepalm:. The guy ALWAYS misses a couple chip shots EVERY year, heck they all do, but when the game is on the line and the Colts need a FG to win, I want NO ONE out on that field other than Adam VInatieri. The guy is MONEY and without a doubt the best in the business in game-winning situations. In my opinion, getting Adam was one of the best things Polian EVER did besides drafting Peyton and Edgerrin. If people think we are going to find the Andrew Luck of kickers out there to replace one of the best in the business, they are out of their mind. Lets not push our luck (no pun intended) here fellas.

Jmo guys, I just feel fear he will miss. I can't explain it. Not like I'm tryin to feel fear or want to. Nothing personal torwards you guys. Not asking you to make me feel better. And I didn't say cut him because of the article. His article has very little supporting the logic of cutting Adam because of his 2 misses and a near third.