Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Rookie of the Week (again) +T.Y.

IndyBarb

i think I asked this before, but is this a better indication of a QBs performance level than overall passer rating? And if so, why does everyone still look at the passer rating. You never hear about the QB rating. Just wondering.

i think total QBR takesthings like INTs right before half time, or spiking the clock, the throwing the ball away type of things into account and removes them. Since they play no factor in how a QB performed. Something like that. Overall passer rating takes everything into account. Like Gabberts 80 yard TD for example, he played a putrid game, but his rating was probably high, but his total QBR probably would've been low since he sucked the entire game.

I'm not too sure though, since i've only seen a total QBR article like 7 months ago and im just going by memory...

i think total QBR takesthings like INTs right before half time, or spiking the clock, the throwing the ball away type of things into account and removes them. Since they play no factor in how a QB performed. Something like that. Overall passer rating takes everything into account. Like Gabberts 80 yard TD for example, he played a putrid game, but his rating was probably high, but his total QBR probably would've been low since he sucked the entire game.

I'm not too sure though, since i've only seen a total QBR article like 7 months ago and im just going by memory...

You're right in that it does go into much more detail regarding a QB, but I was still wondering why the general punditry and media looks more at passer rating rather than QB rating.

You're right in that it does go into much more detail regarding a QB, but I was still wondering why the general punditry and media looks more at passer rating rather than QB rating.

In a nutshell, passer rating is a simple formula that the NFL has embraced. It's not perfect but it does still provide a good ballpark estimate of performance. QBR is neither simple nor embraced by the league and was only recently developed by ESPN (it is also a proprietary formula, so the league will never embrace it in all likelihood and - to my knowledge - it is not exactly transparent, which is a major strike against any such formula). It is, in theory, a more specific and discerning measure of performance but it is also considerably more subjective because it doesn't weight plays equally and there are still many things it simply cannot account for.

So yeah. I, personally, like the old passer rating stat because I know its limitations well and I also watch enough of the sport to be able to put the numbers into appropriate context most of the time. TQR is more of a mystery and I can't say I'm inclined to trust the way it has been constructed enough to consider it a good judge of quarterbacking, although it is at least an interesting take on the numbers.