Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Trai Essex, waive Shipley and Person (mod: edited title, merge)

jimirsaysdog

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im glad we signed Essex, but it just gives a few posters here another guy to constantly whine and complain about. Even if this guy works out great for us, as soon as he allow's a QB pressure or God forbid a....sack, then the incessant whining will start about this guy.

Well you did know we were supposed to fill every single need this team needed this year didn't you. Atleast that is how certain poster who repeatedly whine about the same people on the o-line seem to think atleast this though is just imo but, it gets old seeing the same grief in every single topic or so it seems.. Btw not going at you blazer I agree with your post I quoted

Well you did know we were supposed to fill every single need this team needed this year didn't you. Atleast that is how certain poster who repeatedly whine about the same people on the o-line seem to think atleast this though is just imo but, it gets old seeing the same grief in every single topic or so it seems.. Btw not going at you blazer I agree with your post I quoted

Yep, it gets very old and even when they have been told dozens of times they still feel the need to keep beating that dead horse.

Even the best have been victimized by Freeney, but I think he's a penalty/blown assignment machine. The Steelers have big problems at o-line, and they got rid of him. Says something. I think he's coming here because of Arians, and no other reason.

Arians wouldn't bring him here a if he wan't better than what we have which isn't saying much. An a plus he probably knows the playbook!

Essex is the Guy with the Dreads from the Steelers right? I don't know much about O-Lineman, but I think that's him.

And another thing, this makes it clear that Likenbach (However you spell his name) isn't going anywhere. So for those of you (including me) who don't like him, guess it's time we get used to him cause he's staying another Week lol

Counting Essex and Justice, we only have 8 Olinemen on the roster at the moment. LT Castonzo, LG Reitz, C Satele, RG McGlynn, RT Linkenbach then G/T Essex, T Justice ( injured ) and G/Turnstile Seth Olsen...... seems we need another body here, if nothing else.....

Can all 8 of them play at one time? We sure could use the help!

Essex is the Guy with the Dreads from the Steelers right? I don't know much about O-Lineman, but I think that's him.

And another thing, this makes it clear that Likenbach (However you spell his name) isn't going anywhere. So for those of you (including me) who don't like him, guess it's time we get used to him cause he's staying another Week lol

Naw that's not him, the dude with the dreads is I think his name is Foster

Answer the question: What assets has he used to add offensive line talent?

Every single player he's brought in at offensive line -- except Satele -- has been a lower level player that you would be crazy to expect to make a significant difference in the quality of the team. They have essentially been bodies. Your favorite whipping boys -- Justice and McGlynn -- were had for a vet minimum contract and 16 spots in the 6th round of the draft. These types of acquisitions are not indicative of a GM's ability to find talent at a certain position.

If Grigson spends a high draft pick on a lineman, and that lineman doesn't work out, then let's talk about his ability to scout linemen. Until then, continually criticizing lower level additions is just plain silly.

By the way, Grigson might not know how to scout any position. We just don't know yet. But I think it's outrageous to suggest that moving down 16 spots in the 6th round for a lineman that doesn't work out means that he's not good at scouting linemen.

Gavin Super right on this one!

Is there a reason why we are waiving two players and claiming one?

Aren't we now down a player? Are we anticipating another roster move?

Questions in need of answers my friends.... any answers out there?

Yes we have one roster spot open and Mike Chappell of the IndyStar expects to sign another OL:

"@mchappell51: After signing Trai Essex and waiving 2 O-limenen, #colts have 1 open roster spot. I'm betting GM Ryan Grigson signs another O-lineman."

Maybe they dont want him because he doesn't fit the mold of the bigger O Lineman we have, he is 6'5" 292 but compared to other O Linemen we have he is small except Seth Olsen, our O Line average weight is 322.2LBS counting all of them including PS and IR

I think Chap is right, but the signing will be from our PS......except, isn't it kind of odd that they haven't done that yet? I mean, we could promote the guy now, and sign a new PS guy if we wanted..... :hmm: kinda leaves the possibility of a FA open too.....

I think Chap is right, but the signing will be from our PS......except, isn't it kind of odd that they haven't done that yet? I mean, we could promote the guy now, and sign a new PS guy if we wanted..... :hmm: kinda leaves the possibility of a FA open too.....

good question.

Essex has played all 5 OL positions at Pittsburgh. He has been terrible at T so maybe he will backup at G and C in an emergency. Justin Anderson may help when he comes off PUP but he was injury prone at Georgia. Hayworth Hicks could be brought up from the practice squad. It seems Olsen and Lickenbach are far below average players.

Havent seen a ton of Essex, but I like the versatility that he brings, and that he already knows the playbook. Now, how effective he is at other o-line positions is the question. He didn't make Pittsburg, and they haven't had a strong offensive line in awhile, so that really worries me. But like I said I don't know much about him.

Mike Chapell brings up something interesting an that this signing probably was In the works just waited until after week 1 so his whole salary isn't gauranteed and yet sign him to a vet deal(don't know details of contract yet)

"It's likely the Colts waited until after the first week of the regular season to sign Essex. A player with at least four years experience who's on an opening-week roster had his base salary guaranteed. One signed after the first week basically is operating on a week-to-week basis."

"It's uncertain the length and value of Essex's deal with the Colts, but a player with his experience is due a minimum base salary of $825,000. Rather than owing him his entire base salary, the Colts would only be investing $48,529 per week in an experienced lineman."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120910/SPORTS03/209110316/Notebook-Indianapolis-Colts-realize-they-must-avoid-turnovers-competitive

Trai Essex is a fine pickup. He has a great familiarity with Bruce Arians. That's pretty big.

He's an upgrade over Link and possibly over Justice. Give him a couple of weeks, he'll be starting soon.

We could have a short term solid right tackle.

Trai Essex is a fine pickup. He has a great familiarity with Bruce Arians. That's pretty big.

He's an upgrade over Link and possibly over Justice. Give him a couple of weeks, he'll be starting soon.

We could have a short term solid right tackle.

He is at RG on the depth chart and with Reitz missing week 2 I expect him to play LG over Olsen Sunday

He is at RG on the depth chart and with Reitz missing week 2 I expect him to play LG over Olsen Sunday

Sorry, just woke up from a nap...

I was thinking of Max Starks. Well, then he's definitely upgrades over the current guys and I expect him to be the starter in a few weeks.

Yes we have one roster spot open and Mike Chappell of the IndyStar expects to sign another OL:

"@mchappell51: After signing Trai Essex and waiving 2 O-limenen, #colts have 1 open roster spot. I'm betting GM Ryan Grigson signs another O-lineman."

Thanks for the heads-up..... always appreciate that.... interesting.... we let go of an OL we just signed and signed a different OL and perhaps, maybe, possibly sign another OL as well.

OK.

I'll take confusing roster moves for $1,000, Alex!

I should also mention that with the concussion to Justice, the tackle spot just became very thin.

The Colts waived two guys and picked up one. This means that they have one spot open. I expect them to pick up a tackle sometime in the next couple of days. The depth at the tackle spot is very weak and thin so they need anybody they can take.