Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis to start at Left Cornerback

HtownColt

Pagano said

Vontae Davisicon-article-link.gif will open at the left corner position for Indianapolis on Sunday. Davis recently joined the team from Miami in a trade. Davis did not play in the preseason finale against Cincinnati.

“He’s doing really well. He’s spending extra time with his position coaches,” said Pagano. “He’s putting the time in. I can tell by sitting back and watching. He’s not making mental (mistakes). You can see his athleticism out there and his play-making ability. That’s only going to become better as he becomes more comfortable in the system with the terminology.”

That would be against Marshall, But I pretty much thought that. Powers hasn't much lined up against an opposing teams #1 receiver, doesnt have the speed or athleticism for it, Cant wait for the game! Powers will be matched up against Jeffery probably

Good matchup to watch for sure, I wonder if Powers can handle Jeffrey though and Jeffreys size, I dont think so, he is listed at 6'3" 216

if not Jeffrey, he'll be asked to handle Bennett or Hester most likely assuming that Davis takes Marshall on the majority of snaps. I think the Bears will shuffle their guys around though some.

I figured that he would play, I'm just glad to hear Pagano is liking what he's seeing from Davis so far. As far as his lack of effort before, etc....I think the trade is a big wake up call for anybody. You can't just rest on what you did previously, you got to keep on putting in the work or you'll be unemployed.

I figured that he would play, I'm just glad to hear Pagano is liking what he's seeing from Davis so far. As far as his lack of effort before, etc....I think the trade is a big wake up call for anybody. You can't just rest on what you did previously, you got to keep on putting in the work or you'll be unemployed.

one would hope, but there's plenty of instances where that wasn't the case. To an extent, you are who you are. Of course I do hope Davis turns it around. I liked him his first year in Miami.

one would hope, but there's plenty of instances where that wasn't the case. To an extent, you are who you are. Of course I do hope Davis turns it around. I liked him his first year in Miami.

True, just like the guys that get continually suspended for off field issues. Some people just can't help being their own worst enemy.

True, just like the guys that get continually suspended for off field issues. Some people just can't help being their own worst enemy.

First two that jump to mind are Pac-Man Jones (suspensions), and Albert Haynesworth (traded to NE for a ham sammich and vanished).

Now that I think about it...Vontae's brother Vernon had questions around his effort his first couple seasons until Mike Singletary called him out and lit a fire under his butt. Their younger brother got arrested for assault and suspicion of murder too....so there's red flags a-plenty

First two that jump to mind are Pac-Man Jones (suspensions), and Albert Haynesworth (traded to NE for a ham sammich and vanished).

Now that I think about it...Vontae's brother Vernon had questions around his effort his first couple seasons until Mike Singletary called him out and lit a fire under his butt. Their younger brother got arrested for assault and suspicion of murder too....so there's red flags a-plenty

So it's fair to judge someone on how there family members behave or act? I think people tend to be a tad bit harsh around here.

So it's fair to judge someone on how there family members behave or act? I think people tend to be a tad bit harsh around here.

not judging at all - but you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think those things aren't taken into account by anyone serious about signing him. Nothing harsh about it...its just reality and the way it works.

He is also a rookie... There is more to winning matchups than size

true that, size in the nfl isnt everything look at MJD... powers could probably shut down jeffery for the night and so could davis.. just hope they both have a good game and both of them stay healthy for the whole season.

He is also a rookie... There is more to winning matchups than size

I agree but also just because he has the rookie "tag" on him doesnt mean that Powers has an advantage physics will have a big part in who wins (size, speed, jumping ability) Do I expect Jeffery to come out and dominate the Powers matchup? No but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen, example Powers gets a read on a jump ball in the end zone with Jeffery, depending on how good the pass is Jeffery should win that 10 out of 10 times if that makes sense

Even if we say the Powers and Davis matchups wash out, that still leaves the Bears' 3rd and 4th WRs vs the Colts 3rd and 4th CBs. I give that matchup to the Bears unless you are able to get heavy pressure on Cutler. However, the Bears have a couple under-the-radar TEs in Kellen Davis and Evan Rodriguez (Spaeth and Adams are the backups, but all 4 could see time). They don't have an extensive resume, but I think they'll be ok. I think Rodriguez is the more versatile option in their passing game - usually lines up split out "F position" or in motion/shifts, while Davis is typically lined up next to the tackle - traditional "Y position". Given that the colts are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and often times depend on LBs and converted DEs to cover the shorter routes, I see the colts being vulnerable in the short passing game and intermediate middle of the field. I think Bethea will spend a bit of his time shaded over Marshall and I just don't really trust Zibby in coverage against the likes of Jeffrey, Bennett, and Hester. Top it off with a fairly effective running game and I think the colts' D is in for a long afternoon.

my two cents

Even if we say the Powers and Davis matchups wash out, that still leaves the Bears' 3rd and 4th WRs vs the Colts 3rd and 4th CBs. I give that matchup to the Bears unless you are able to get heavy pressure on Cutler. However, the Bears have a couple under-the-radar TEs in Kellen Davis and Evan Rodriguez (Spaeth and Adams are the backups, but all 4 could see time). They don't have an extensive resume, but I think they'll be ok. I think Rodriguez is the more versatile option in their passing game - usually lines up split out "F position" or in motion/shifts, while Davis is typically lined up next to the tackle - traditional "Y position". Given that the colts are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and often times depend on LBs and converted DEs to cover the shorter routes, I see the colts being vulnerable in the short passing game and intermediate middle of the field. I think Bethea will spend a bit of his time shaded over Marshall and I just don't really trust Zibby in coverage against the likes of Jeffrey, Bennett, and Hester. Top it off with a fairly effective running game and I think the colts' D is in for a long afternoon.

my two cents

You're a positive minded Colts Fan.:rolleyes:

my two cents

ill take my chances

its going to be a highly competitive matchup between Davis and Marshall which might involve some pushing and shoving trying to get in each others head. its going to be fun to watch those two compete for 4 quarters

That's a great matchup and it will enable us to double elsewhere...or play combinatin man and zone..

Or blitz 'Z' if and when we need to.

I want Jay Cutler forcing the ball to Marshall against Vontae Davis...

You wnat a guy with something to prove....an Vontae definetly has some thing to prove this sunday..

Powers is FINE!!

jeesh simmer down, if he was fine as our #1 then Grigson wouldn't have had to trade for Vontae or Powers would not have been constantly lined up against a teams #2 last year, thats NOT a knock on Powers thats simply saying he does not have the necessary skills and or attributes to be a #1 Corner not all Corners do, there are some others in the NFL playing #1 who arent a true #1. Shawntae Spencer, Jason McCourty, Chris Houston (who had a good year least with 5 picks but 1 years worth of production dont make you a legit #1)