Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Captains?

Greenoughrunner

I was watching, well more like listening while getting some thing done to the Penn State game yesterday and they put names on their jersey for the first time ever, and I'm not quite sure why, but they job of doing such fell to the equipment manager's wife. At least that is what I think I heard. Maybe they already had their order from Nike and had to make due, but you would think they could have had that done professionally.

Well since it's Penn State maybe with all the law suits coming at the school their money may be tight right now. haha Save where ever you can to pay those attorneys.

If they choose weekly then they have to sew the C on their shirts weekly. I want that job because it probably pays better then min wage. :lol:

I remember they use to have a "weekly" captain for special teams before Adam got the role permanently. He still was captain majority of the time for "weekly" campaigns.

After about 85 jerseys I think hubs is on the couch.

You know you have plain jerseys when adding the names brings pizzazz.

1.Im not giving it to a kicker even if he is one of the best of all time (Vinatieri)

2.Im not giving it to a guy who has been great for us in the past but doesnt know the current system (Freeney)

3.Mathis (Great player but see #2)

4.Bethea is new to the system (Zb isn't but he has been a backup so that was my logic there) so Bethea gets the C

So Freeney Mathis and Bethea are in the same boat(pro bowl players but learning a new scheme) you knock Freeney and Mathis off the captain list but not Bethea. Not really capturing the logic there for taking Freeney and Mathis off the list but not Bethea

six? doesnt that kinda make the whole captain thing useless then because then your basically saying anyone can be captain. who has six players worth being captain on a single team

It's often used as a way to reward performers for the previous weeks performance, but there are situations when 6 people have actual merit.

The Pats had 6, and I think all honestly deserve it. That's still just a bit above 10% of the roster.

I think it will be Wayne, Adam and Bethea and maybe Freeney. I think Wayne and Adam are all but locks. No one comes close to Wayne in terms of experience on offense and Adam is the only returning captain from last year so I see no reason why he wouldn't be the Special Teams Captain again. If you listen to the defense talk about Bethea it's pretty clear he's the leader of the secondary and I've always thought he was the leader behind Brackett. With that said when Gary went down last year it was Freeney they sent out as a fill in captain. We don't have to have just three we've had four in the past with Manning, Brackett, Adam and Bullitt both representing special teams.

So Freeney Mathis and Bethea are in the same boat(pro bowl players but learning a new scheme) you knock Freeney and Mathis off the captain list but not Bethea. Not really capturing the logic there for taking Freeney and Mathis off the list but not Bethea

Im not a fan of choosing three anyway, like mentioned above those 3 cant be at the coin toss together anyway, coin toss wise I would choose Vinatieri, Redding and Wayne. If I had to choose 1 captain I would choose Redding

don't the players usually vote on the captains?

I think you are correct sir. On offense I feel that Wayne is the clear choice. Defense, I feel that Bethea has the respect of the team and the battle scars. Vinitieri is the only choice for special teams, he has single handedly clinched and won numerous games in the regular season and playoffs.

It's often used as a way to reward performers for the previous weeks performance, but there are situations when 6 people have actual merit.

The Pats had 6, and I think all honestly deserve it. That's still just a bit above 10% of the roster.

ive seen some no name players wear the captain symbol thats why i say its meaningless

ive seen some no name players wear the captain symbol thats why i say its meaningless

Meh. Teams usually vote on it, so it means something to the team. Not every team can have an All-Pro on each side, nor does every great leader have to be Ray Lewis. It's just the guy who leads that part of the team.

Meh. Teams usually vote on it, so it means something to the team. Not every team can have an All-Pro on each side, nor does every great leader have to be Ray Lewis. It's just the guy who leads that part of the team.

ive seen guys like yeariah bell be captain. reggie nelson when he was jag.

Just thought id post the captains for today PK Adam Vintaieri, S Tom Zbikowski, LT Anthony Castonzo, WR Reggie Wayne, OLB Dwight Freeney, OLB Robert Mathis.

@@pwilson24

#Colts captains today are PK Adam Vintaieri, S Tom Zbikowski, LT Anthony Castonzo, WR Reggie Wayne, OLB Dwight Freeney, OLB Robert Mathis.

@@pwilson24

#Colts say the captains will change each game. Elected each week. Can't remember ever having that many.

Just thought id post the captains for today PK Adam Vintaieri, S Tom Zbikowski, LT Anthony Castonzo, WR Reggie Wayne, OLB Dwight Freeney, OLB Robert Mathis.

@@pwilson24

#Colts captains today are PK Adam Vintaieri, S Tom Zbikowski, LT Anthony Castonzo, WR Reggie Wayne, OLB Dwight Freeney, OLB Robert Mathis.

@@pwilson24

#Colts say the captains will change each game. Elected each week. Can't remember ever having that many.

Still shaking my head how Zbikowski got it instead of Bethea. Probably due to the scheme..