Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lots of people will be retracting their statements about Darius Leonard.

BlueShoe

36 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I personally think Leonard is a better prospect than Vander Esch. I had Leonard as my 4th best off ball linebacker, for a while. I think at one time I even had Leonard as my third best LB. The top 3-5 LBs were razor thin close.

The top 2; Obviously the big dog was a top 10 pick, and the freak was going top 20. 

The the only reason Leonard went after Evans is because of the quality of competition. I would personally choose Leonard over Evans for our defense. 

Walter football had him as a top 5 ILB even during the college season. They get a bad rep sometimes, but they deserve credit. They were the first major outlet high on Leonard before he started blowing up. He was ranked ahead of Evans too. Even going back as far as November I think their ILB rankings were something like:

1. Roquan Smith

2. Leighton Vander-Esch

3. Malik Jefferson

4. Darius Leonard

And I think Oren Burks was up there too. But Leonard is a better prospect than Evans. He’s light years beyond him in coverage and is better sideline to sideline. Evans is more of a thumper.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

My only problem with the pick is that he probably would have been available to us further down in the draft.

I don't think he would have been there at the Colts next pick. It's easy to say that Ballard should have waited but why should he take the gamble when he was evidently the player he wanted?

I'm just glad we got an athletic LB that seems to be pretty fundamental tackler. We went pretty big on offense doubling up on the OL, RB, and WR. Outside of Leonard I had big concerns reguarding the defensive picks. The two DEs we took I think are very unpolished/uncertain. The LBs taken later lots of questions too about their versatility. All the guys seem to be high character, nationally recognized, team captains stuff like that. Nothing there to question...it will now come down to can they play at this level..and can the coaches get them ready quickly. The offense may start slow with a new scheme to learn and possibly Andrew being rusty. The defense needs to play fast and keep us in games. I think once Luck settles in...the offense will catch up.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:56 AM, Nadine said:

I've removed everything from your op that wasn't a shot at everyone on the board for being stupid.  There wasn't much left

Darius Leonard is not someone to doubt. 

People can feel free to keep doubting him, but he will prove them all wrong. His DNA is different than most humans. He has intangibles that many people don’t even know exist. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

People can feel free to keep doubting him, but he will prove them all wrong. His DNA is different than most humans. He has intangibles that many people don’t even know exist. 

OK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Tell us about this DNA you seem to know so much about.

25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Are you sure you're not Darius Leonard himself? If so I'd love an autographed jersey my dude. 

26 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

it’s just football lol calm down

On 5/9/2018 at 12:23 AM, BlueShoe said:

Some of you know my thoughts on DL. I’ve been preaching it for months. DL was my second favorite player for us in this draft, behind Nelson. 

I love the Leonard pick also. But he was our 2nd draft pick at #36 he should all of us Colt fans 2nd favorite. With Ballards philosophy of building through the draft which I'm perfectly okay with. We honestly cant miss with these early draft choices. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I love the Leonard pick also. But he was our 2nd draft pick at #36 he should all of us Colt fans 2nd favorite. With Ballards philosophy of building through the draft which I'm perfectly okay with. We honestly cant miss with these early draft choices. 

The Cleveland Browns would like a word with you :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Walter football had him as a top 5 ILB even during the college season. They get a bad rep sometimes, but they deserve credit. They were the first major outlet high on Leonard before he started blowing up. He was ranked ahead of Evans too. Even going back as far as November I think their ILB rankings were something like:

1. Roquan Smith

2. Leighton Vander-Esch

3. Malik Jefferson

4. Darius Leonard

And I think Oren Burks was up there too. But Leonard is a better prospect than Evans. He’s light years beyond him in coverage and is better sideline to sideline. Evans is more of a thumper.

Leornard is way better than Jefferson also. Jefferson cant cover at all. I was also reading that Jefferson has a poor work ethic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Oh Dear God...

• Like 7

On 5/9/2018 at 10:31 PM, BlueShoe said:

He was 4 picks away from being a first round pick. That’s what the NFL thinks of him. I mocked him at 28 to the Steelers. I thought there was a real chance he would be gone before 36/37. 

This off ball linebacker class was incredible. For months, I have said the LB class was unlike any previous drafts in recent memory. People kept claiming positional value (which I do not buy into). 

I had 5 linebackers possibly going in the first round and post’s exist on this board where I talked about it (around mid January). 4 of the linebackers went in the top 22 and 5 in the top 36. The exact same ones I talked about possibly going in the first round. Keep in mind that before it actually happened, many people thought it was impossible. It happened, and it wasn’t difficult to see coming. It was an unusual off ball linebacker class, and we benefited from it. 

Leonard will play WILL, but there is no reason he cannot someday transition to MIKE. He lined up at MIKE several times in college. He played MIKE at the Senior Bowl. He might play MIKE in the nickel for us. 

Leonard stood out at the Senior Bowl, against higher competition than he played in college. He even surprised us all with some unexpected pop from the MIKE position. Something he is not know for. He is known to be a sure tackler. We have not had anyone on this team who is a sure tackler like Leonard since...... It’s been a very long time. 

Bethea was probably the best tackler we ever had. He did a lot for the defense. Hoping Leonard can have a similar impact but don’t forget about the 7th rounders, they may surprise some people 

• Like 1

• Nadine locked this topic