Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bprland's Pre-Free Agency Mock (March 9)

Just a mock draft with this post. Will wait until after free agency begins for my next version. 

Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall to Cleveland for their 4th overall, 33rd overall, 3rd round picks. (Cleveland has plenty of assets to secure that they get their QB at 3 overall after taking Barkley #1)

Round 1 Pick 4 (CLE):  Chubb, Bradley, DE, North Carolina State 
Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE):  Hernandez, Will, OG, Texas-El Paso 
Round 2 Pick 4:  Hughes, Mike, CB, Central Florida 
Round 3 Pick 1 (CLE):  Moore, DJ, WR, Maryland 
Round 3 Pick 3:  Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State 
Round 4 Pick 4:  Leonard, Darrius, ILB, South Carolina State

Round 5 Pick 3:  Griffin, Shaquem, OLB, Central Florida

Round 6 Pick 4:  Wilson, Cedrick, WR, Boise State 
Round 7 Pick 3:  McDermott, KC, OT, Miami (FL) 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Just a mock draft with this post. Will wait until after free agency begins for my next version. 

Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall to Cleveland for their 4th overall, 33rd overall, 3rd round picks. (Cleveland has plenty of assets to secure that they get their QB at 3 overall after taking Barkley #1)

Why would Cleveland take Barkley at 1, and then trade up to 3 with us to get a QB?

There is 0 chance we take a QB at 3. 0. That would be an expensive trade up for something they could sit still and get. 

46 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Why would Cleveland take Barkley at 1, and then trade up to 3 with us to get a QB?

There is 0 chance we take a QB at 3. 0. That would be an expensive trade up for something they could sit still and get. 

I digress...there have been a couple of reports that more than 1 team wants to trade up to 3 and pick Josh Allen if he is available. Lets assume that is who the Browns want, then they may have to jump up to 3 and swap picks with us to assure they get their man.  This proposed trade might be a little steep, but I do think realistically Browns may want to trade up to 3 (they have lots of ammunition to do this) to assure they get the QB they want. 

47 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Because other teams have been rumored to wanting to move up to 3 overall to get their guy at QB ahead of the Browns if they do indeed go Barkley #1. This puts that to rest for the Browns by making sure that doesn't happen. 

Ballard is not going to trade down out of the waters where Chubb won’t be swimming, so the lowest he’s going to go is the Jets at 6. Where Cousins ends up has a huge play in that as well. If he goes to Denver we won’t move back beyond 5. Ballard missing out on Chubb to move back would be a huge gaffe unless a team like Arizona offers us a RG3 type deal of firsts. 

And if that is the case, I don’t think a team like the Browns (who will be signing McCarron anyways) will try to match. 

If they plan to go Barkley at 1, I think they pick two QBs, and go with the one that’s left at 4. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Is it my imagination or have you done about 6 of these so far?

Seeing several mocks on the forum having the Colts picking Griffin now. I actually hope he ends up wearing the horseshoe, his story & attitude (as evidenced by his letter to NFL GMs) is the type of attitude that I think could do well in helping rebuild the locker room.

With the new leadership under Ballard & Reich, coupled with a few guys with the right mindset, like Griffin seems to exhibit, I think the Colts could see a quick turnaround...

Anyways, I love seeing Griffin showing up on several Colts mock drafts, it shows that I am not the only fan thinking this way!!!

I like the picks, although I see Leonard as more of an OLB at 6'2" 215lbs. He could slide over in a pinch, but I wouldn't want him to be our starting ILB. I'm not also sold on Hughes as a 2nd round pick. He's more of an upside guy, ala TJ Green, that needs a lot of technical refinement.

I'd take a RB like Guice at 2:4, then go for a CB like Isaac Yiadom at 3:3.

Overall, I still wouldn't be mad at this draft.

13 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Absolutely no way Cleveland will throw a 2nd and a 3rd to move up one spot. A 2nd is likely the highest they'll go. I also doubt DJ Moore, Shaquem Griffin and Darius Leondard being there in there where you have mocked.

"The Chicago Bears traded up one spot in the draft with the San Francisco 49ers to select quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Chicago dealt the No. 3 pick, their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up and take Trubisky, considered one of the draft’s top quarterbacks."

I'd take that all day long. 

My concern is that Cleveland will take Barkley and the Giants will then take Chubb and get a qb in the second round that will learn under Eli.

Is Nelson worth pick 3 or 6 ? Maybe. 

I liked what I saw from Hernandez - (the guy is built like a Rhino), there’s Norwell from Carolina out there and we really don’t know if Mewhort is done or if Bond, Person, Good or any others on the team could start and play well.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t draft Oline, just that the pass rush was so horrible it to me is a priority. I like the way Ballard defined it: who’s the biggest difference maker ? 

I don't think Hernandez will be there in the second round. Griffem doesn't last that long either. Love the Moore pick though.

31 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

My concern is that Cleveland will take Barkley and the Giants will then take Chubb and get a qb in the second round that will learn under Eli.

Is Nelson worth pick 3 or 6 ? Maybe. 

I liked what I saw from Hernandez - (the guy is built like a Rhino), there’s Norwell from Carolina out there and we really don’t know if Mewhort is done or if Bond, Person, Good or any others on the team could start and play well.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t draft Oline, just that the pass rush was so horrible it to me is a priority. I like the way Ballard defined it: who’s the biggest difference maker ? 

Good for the Colts. They can trade down and still find some talented players.

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Hernandez wont be there at the top of 2nd round with his performance at the combine he is a 1st rounder now.

He's also an OG so you never know. Forrest Lamp who had a great Senior Bowl and combine  lasted to the early 2nd last year. 

Welp. There went that. 

Thats the domino that knocks a lot of others into motion. 

The Browns will take Barkley at 1. He helps take pressure off Taylor. 

If we try to move back they take Chubb at 4. Be a silly thing to do, IMO. Hope the Giants don’t covet Chubb and we can get him at 3. 

selfish gripe but stop mockin griffin to us. if it happens it happens but it’s cliche & lazy. Also there are other prospects than Chubb, he’s ok but yu can find equal/similar value at other positions (Edmunds, Nelson, Derwin James, Ward etc.)

On 3/9/2018 at 12:00 PM, John Waylon said:

Because there are at least two teams that are reportedly already trying to acquire the pick to take a Qb 

6 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Because there are at least two teams that are reportedly already trying to acquire the pick to take a Qb 

I responded to that theory above. 

NOW it makes 110% less sense. The Browns just spent picks to bring in Taylor. If you want to get technical about it they still have the cap space to sign McCarron. It was just a couple of short months ago they were trying to bring him in. 

The Browns weren’t going to trade up to 3 from 4 to get a QB when they have #1 as well. 

Now just talking about the Browns selecting a QB is ridiculous.

In fact, the Browns probably just locked us in to picking at 3. They’d be fools not to trade #1 and stockpile even more picks. Which, for those keeping score at home, is a strategy that is paying off nicely for them right now. 

If the Giants make it clear that they are not interested in anything but QB at 2, the Browns can trade 1 to a team desperate for a QB, and still land either Barkley or Chubb at 4. 

Ballard isn’t going to trade out of Chubb territory for less than 2 firsts and a second. And whoever is willing to pay that is going to pay it to the Browns at 1 to guarantee they get their target.

13 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I responded to that theory above. 

NOW it makes 110% less sense. The Browns just spent picks to bring in Taylor. If you want to get technical about it they still have the cap space to sign McCarron. It was just a couple of short months ago they were trying to bring him in. 

The Browns weren’t going to trade up to 3 from 4 to get a QB when they have #1 as well. 

Now just talking about the Browns selecting a QB is ridiculous.

In fact, the Browns probably just locked us in to picking at 3. They’d be fools not to trade #1 and stockpile even more picks. Which, for those keeping score at home, is a strategy that is paying off nicely for them right now. 

If the Giants make it clear that they are not interested in anything but QB at 2, the Browns can trade 1 to a team desperate for a QB, and still land either Barkley or Chubb at 4. 

Ballard isn’t going to trade out of Chubb territory for less than 2 firsts and a second. And whoever is willing to pay that is going to pay it to the Browns at 1 to guarantee they get their target.

Lol they brought in a QB who sucks and McCarron is a career back up.  They can’t afford Not to draft a QB high.  It makes a ton of sense but if you can’t comprehend why then I can’t help you. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Lol they brought in a QB who sucks and McCarron is a career back up.  They can’t afford Not to draft a QB high.  It makes a ton of sense but if you can’t comprehend why then I can’t help you. 

So. 

The Browns are going to spend multiple picks on the QB position this spring? 

And I need help?

Nice try, but no. Just no. 

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

So. 

The Browns are going to spend multiple picks on the QB position this spring? 

And I need help?

Nice try, but no. Just no. 

If they want to get it right yes.... a third round pick isn’t much.  They can’t keep passing these QBs up and thinking that it’ll work.  It’s the definition of insanity.  They did the same last offseason hoping Brock would be better.  I’m not saying you need help but you clearly don’t understand why they’d make that trade.