Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Random thought of the day

Zoltan

How do you think the defense would do as a 4-3 defense over 3-4? Of course this is hypothetical and we would have to add some players to fit the concept. it just seems we draft a lot of Defensive ends and then try to put them as OLB positions which then gives them a learning curve even if they are the designated pass rusher. I was just thinking of the days when Freeney and Mathis had there hands in the dirt.

9 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

How do you think the defense would do as a 4-3 defense over 3-4? Of course this is hypothetical and we would have to add some players to fit the concept. it just seems we draft a lot of Defensive ends and then try to put them as OLB positions which then gives them a learning curve even if they are the designated pass rusher. I was just thinking of the days when Freeney and Mathis had there hands in the dirt.

They run both now.  Both have been ineffective.      The offense getting first downs is the best way to help our d

Just guessing; the cost of star pass rushing linemen and some backup fatguys isn't nearly as much as the cost of star pass rushing linebackers plus linebackers who can stuff the run and still cover receivers.  Have to look at the average salaries of those stars.

5 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Just guessing; the cost of star pass rushing linemen and some backup fatguys isn't nearly as much as the cost of star pass rushing linebackers plus linebackers who can stuff the run and still cover receivers.  Have to look at the average salaries of those stars.

that's one of the reasons i was thinking about the 4-3, it just seems nearly impossible to get your hands on the OLB that you need for the system and I know we run a hybrid but like Basham he was a Defensive end through college so does moving him to OLB even though he is a pass rusher hurt his overall ability? It just seems to me that while 3-4 is a great system its hard to find the right players for the system

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

People were clamoring for a 3-4 defense when we were running a 4-3 a few years ago.

Both are effective with the right players and coaching.

I'm not saying that we should or anything, I was just thinking that it seems to be easier to draft pass rushing Defensive ends then moving a DE to OLB or drafting a pass rusher that already plays OLB. and i know Dungy's Tampa 2 was flawed when it came to coverage especially against good QBs who could find the holes I still liked the 4-3 system.

Basham, Newsome, Werner, all were drafted as DEs

3 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

I'm not saying that we should or anything, I was just thinking that it seems to be easier to draft pass rushing Defensive ends then moving a DE to OLB or drafting a pass rusher that already plays OLB. and i know Dungy's Tampa 2 was flawed when it came to coverage especially against good QBs who could find the holes I still liked the 4-3 system.

Basham, Newsome, Werner, all were drafted as DEs

A lot of teams might have a set scheme of 3-4 or 4-3, but many run hybrids now.  You have the ability to switch within and run these plus others.  We need some good coaching and players and everything else will fall into place.

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Everytime I think of a 4-3 defense, I think back to that Super Bowl of Drew Brees carving us up the middle. I think he was like 30/32 that day, or something insane. That "bend, but don't break" defense didn't do squat.

yea true but at least we were in the super bowl under the 4-3 ....:Cry:

13 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

According to Polian, the 34 is more expensive against the cap and if you want to put a lot of cap equity into an offense you’re better off saving with a 43.  Not sure if I completely understood why. 

34 needs more athletic lbs thats why more expensive

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

3-4's are definitely more effective match up wise if you have the right players of course. They're definitely harder to find though.

I would disagree and say with the right players either 3-4 or 4-3 will be an effective match-up.  A lot of teams run varieties of these now a days.  As a 4-3 though teams like the Seahawks or Broncos do just fine matching up.  You can find solid teams on either side obviously because the players they have and schemes to fit them.  Steelers and Ravens have historically been solid performing 3-4 defenses and they fit their scheme with their draft picks.  

Also, I would agree and disagree with the harder to find part.  A solid player at any position is hard to find.  I would not say finding a guy for this scheme or that scheme is harder though because you can find players that fit your mold if you are good at it.  Hints good GM's and the success they have versus bad GM's.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:36 PM, Fluke_33 said:

According to Polian, the 34 is more expensive against the cap and if you want to put a lot of cap equity into an offense you’re better off saving with a 43.  Not sure if I completely understood why. 

rush lbs are hard to find and command big money, in the 3-4 lbs are bigger and slower and have trouble covering passes but good against the run, just what i see as a fan i am no expert