Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know this isn't until a year away, but...

RockThatBlue

35 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Do you think the Colts will re sign Vontae? Assuming he has a good to great year...

Yes. If he has at least a good year I would be a little surprised if we didn't. If he has a great year I would be shocked if we didn't. He just turned 29 in May so even we signed him to a 3 year deal, that would take him up to 32. After that 32 is getting old for a Corner. I still think he has 3 or 4 years left in him, I guess we will see how healthy he can stay this season?

Hm, I think it depends. If he has a solid year but is dinged up consistently again, and if Wilson and Hairston do really well, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ballard let him go. 

If he plays well and stays healthy though then I think Ballard will at least try to bring him back. He could get big money.

33 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Do you think the Colts will re sign Vontae? Assuming he has a good to great year...

if he is healthy then yes

we just brought back butler, and vontae is about two years younger

he could probably make the switch to safety too

I think a lot of it depends on Vontae's asking price. Ballard doesn't strike me as the GM to dish out mega deals, and especially not to players 29 and older. If you look at his free agency from this past offseason, the oldest player he signed I believe was Sheard at 28. So unless Davis has a great year, I'm leaning towards a no on resigning an older Vontae. Plus Davis never gets a bunch of INTs, something Ballard really wants in his secondary players. 

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Ty sir.

ballard likes players like i like my women.

younger with lots of energy.

haha

lmao Yes he does, 29 is cutting it close so the threads question is a good one. He would be 30 entering next season, which isn't old but for some players when they hit 30 they start to get injured more and their production drops.

If he returns to solid pro-bowl form then I think we probably will. 

In some ways I hope we don't though. Paying a CB on the wrong side of 30 a big contract when he already hasn't been the healthiest of guys? I think we should move on personally.

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

If he returns to solid pro-bowl form then I think we probably will. 

In some ways I hope we don't though. Paying a CB on the wrong side of 30 a big contract when he already hasn't been the healthiest of guys? I think we should move on personally.

I would be fine with a 3 year deal if he stays healthy and has a good to great year. If he keeps getting injured this season, than NO.

Yeah, I'm always looking for an excuse to post these FoxSports injury statistics.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/vontae-davis-player-injuries

Vontae's caught a lot of "questionables" throughout the past few years, and mostly with lower body injuries which can really wind a CB's career down fast. It's a big year for him to prove that he can stay healthy.

Everything depends on the market and what he is asking for but I would be surprised we didn't try to retain him and continue our youth movement and bring along the other corners slowly. I would venture to say CB and QB are probably the biggest adjustment for rookies and young guys coming into the NFL so having him around for a few more years shouldn't be a problem. Clearly when Ballard re-signed Butler and kept Langford that he isn't opposed to having some veteran leaders (IF THEY PRODUCE ON THE FIELD). Obviously number effect everything when it comes to signing him but look at his brother Vernon....he is still rocking and productive well into his 30s...they have good genes in that family. I think Vontae could be one of those Brent Grimes types that stay productive into their 30s....of course without the crazy wife. 

5 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Whatever you do, do not sign anymore crappy Saints corners...Now we both know the pain of Patrick Robinson. Do not buy into the Jarius Byrd hype whatever you do. 

Hasn't the Byrd hype died? Admittedly, I don't follow the Saints, but I haven't seen anyone mention him. I know he was linked to the Colts at one point, but we dodged a bullet there. I remember a lot of people being relieved that we didn't sign him after he tore his ACL. 

20 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Hasn't the Byrd hype died? Admittedly, I don't follow the Saints, but I haven't seen anyone mention him. I know he was linked to the Colts at one point, but we dodged a bullet there. I remember a lot of people being relieved that we didn't sign him after he tore his ACL. 

Byrd is hyped up every year due to that one amazing year he had in Buffalo. He was god awful for the Saints...A classic "get paid and don't play" type player. He signed a mega contract and then did nothing to produce in those 3 years. The Saints issues going on several years now have been Loomis giving huge contracts to defensive players like Byrd, letting them get paid and then they do nothing on the field. 

Much of the sentiment in this thread seems to be yes, sign him "if he has a good year."

Maybe that makes the decision harder but personally I don't think it factors in at all.  I think his age, cost and the mileage on his legs will be the overriding factors that leans toward not re-signing him.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Much of the sentiment in this thread seems to be yes, sign him "if he has a good year."

Maybe that makes the decision harder but personally I don't think it factors in at all.  I think his age, cost and the mileage on his legs will be the overriding factors that leans toward not re-signing him.

Age might be the biggest factor to be honest, unless Vontae just plays terrible, which is unlikely. 

Do you re sign him if he has a great year? 30 is getting old for a CB, and its apparent that Ballard wants to get younger on D.

It'll be interesting.

If the Colts want to be a contender in a year or two, they just can't let guys like Vontae go saying he's old, they'll find his cusseccor in the draft. Rookies won't make a team contender. Malik Hooker has got everything, he was a brilliant (and a bit lucky) pick, but he's just a rookie yet. He won't make the Colts contender in 2017. Neither will Quincy Wilson, Tarell Basham, Mack, etc. Elite teams draft players into their DEPTH not to start. Bad teams draft players to start. Except maybe the first rounder. But good teams surround even their first rounder with quality veterans to help him out. Rookies won't help each other out.

So, the Colts must keep the talent level they have now, and ADD to that from the draft. Not replace them. Otherwise it will be a never ending story of a developing team and fans waiting for the year after the next...

The best case scenario of course is, if Vontae will play at his 2014-2015 level. Or close to that. Then, resign him for another 2-3 years. That would give enough time to draft AND develop his replacement WHILE he is still available. If he'll suck, let him go, but then, use his money and bring in a quality replacement. Either add a few millions and bring in Malcolm Butler, Trumain Johnson, etc. Or if these guys are too pricey or not available, then bring in a "good version of Vontae". A 30ish guy with experience, who still can play. Like Mike Adams was when we brought him here.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes. If he has at least a good year I would be a little surprised if we didn't. If he has a great year I would be shocked if we didn't. He just turned 29 in May so even we signed him to a 3 year deal, that would take him up to 32. After that 32 is getting old for a Corner. I still think he has 3 or 4 years left in him, I guess we will see how healthy he can stay this season?

Agree. It's all about this year. If he has an alpha year he gets signed. If he's dinged up and misses time or performs in a diminished capacity he walks unless he takes a smaller contract. I'm rooting for him.