Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Booger & Sanders --- Hankins and Geathers

indyagent17

I was in between appointments and took some time to revis it the 2006 season. We were still getting gouged in the running game but McFarland and Sanders really turned it up at times during the season and it paid off big time in the playoff run to the title.

Hankins could be that NT that we need to force offenses to game plan around and Geathers shows signs of becoming a hard hitting run stopper and smash mouth safety.

Just pointing out the similarities, possibilities and something to talk about 

I think we also snuck up on a few teams in the playoffs that year.  We were looking pretty bad until Bob made his comeback late in the season.  You just couldn't game plan against him, he was all over the place.

I agree, though, we haven't had anywhere near a defensive line presence as when Booger was here.  I don't think Geathers will ever attain the impact level Bob had, but he has potential to be a very good S for us.  I think the overall D could be better this year than the 2006 team, though.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I was in between appointments and took some time to revis it the 2006 season. We were still getting gouged in the running game but McFarland and Sanders really turned it up at times during the season and it paid off big time in the playoff run to the title.

Hankins could be that NT that we need to force offenses to game plan around and Geathers shows signs of becoming a hard hitting run stopper and smash mouth safety.

Just pointing out the similarities, possibilities and something to talk about 

We should probably wait until it's confirmed that Geathers will ever play again and if he'll be his normal self if not better 

Neck injuries aren't something to take lightly 

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Just talking about the possibilities and you have no idea that he will not be as good as Bob Sanders. Not likely but who knows

Ok, then let's compare Marlon Mack to Barry Sanders.  Ya never know....

11 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think we also snuck up on a few teams in the playoffs that year.  We were looking pretty bad until Bob made his comeback late in the season.  You just couldn't game plan against him, he was all over the place.

I agree, though, we haven't had anywhere near a defensive line presence as when Booger was here.  I don't think Geathers will ever attain the impact level Bob had, but he has potential to be a very good S for us.  I think the overall D could be better this year than the 2006 team, though.

I also think the matchups feel the Colts way that year.  They got two teams they matched up very well against in KC and Baltimore in their first two games and then got New England at home rather than having to go to San Diego on the road.  Honestly by then the Pats had become a good matchup for the Colts as they were in the midst of winning five out six games with them between 05 and 09.  

A lot of the Colts woos in the playoffs circled back to not getting a break in terms of they played and getting the worst matchup they could and losing.  

To the main point though, the only thing Geathers has in common with Sanders is his injury problems.  He's a good player but he's not Sanders.  

Hopefully Hankins will finally solve the middle problem that has been an issue since Booger.  It's a shame Booger got hurt in 2007 or the Colts might have gone back-to-back and made their own run at perfection.  Oh well that's football.

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

Geathers shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Bob.

Very few safeties in the history of the NFL blew up players like Bob did much less Geathers. Dungy said he had to take Sanders out of practice because he didn't know how to slow down his hitting mentality, even on his own teamates.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just hope Geathers is ok at this point. That'll suck tremendously if he doesn't play anymore, but I just hope he's ok health wise. 

Agree 100%.  There is so much more to life than football.  Sometimes it's difficult for a player - especially the younger ones - to see that.  Mostly, I feel, because of their potential, but in the end they have to think of what's best for their health over their lifetime.

I hope he can fully recover and attain (what we feel is) his potential in the league.  He could be a big part of this team going deep into the playoffs for years to come.

Sanders coming back helped.  But what helped the run defense as much, if not more, than Sanders' return was Dungy finally sitting Gilbert "Grape" Gardner and put Rob Morris in at SSLB.  Rob Morris wasn't a superstar but he solidified that position the last 3 games of the season and into the playoffs and he was there to stop or prevent the RB from getting huge chunk of yards on those mis-direction runs and cut back plays that killed the Colts all year.

And like GoColts88 stated, the match-ups favored the Colts.  A chiefs team with a RB who carried the ball 400+ times in the regular season, a Baltimore team with a QB who had decided he didn't want to throw the ball downfield more than 10 yards so he dinked and dunk all day long (including numerous times on 3rd and X he would throw it X-1 or 2 yards just about every time.

The Patriots was a tough game but by then the Colts had momentum (although I'm sure many Colts fans thought like I did when the Pats got a pick 6 to go up 21-3, that "oh boy here we go again feeling).  But I even told my wife when the Colts marched down the field and got a FG after than INT and right before the half, I said Manning has BBs D figured out now, it's going to be a good second half.

If you look at all the playoffs prior to 2006 (except 1999) the Colts lost in the playoffs to the eventual SB champs.

48 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I really like Geathers, and think he could be a top SS in this league. I just hope his disc issue clears up because that can be some serious business. I've had two surgeries for them and it's wrecked my mobility. 

this

Geathers could probably be better than Sanders just because of his body frame but he still needs to heal uo first

4 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

I loved when the Colts traded with the Bucs and got Booger the year we won the SB. I think Hankins will give us a huge boost in our pass rush and ability to stop the run. I can't remember the last time the Colts had a true NT. It was probably McFarland. SMH.

chapman was a true nose tackle all the way

he just didnt make much impact, and the refs blew it the one time he did...

On 6/8/2017 at 8:28 AM, lollygagger8 said:

I just hope Geathers is ok at this point. That'll suck tremendously if he doesn't play anymore, but I just hope he's ok health wise. 

Yeah, I think we should just be happy if he is okay and able to play which is in doubt right now.