Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Texans' QB Situation

RollerColt

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Probably better than any other option they have unless they want to chance the injury prone Jay Cutler. At least with Kaep they can get him running for extra yardage.

I think his play is one thing.   He needs the offense catered to him.   I think moreso may be how the fans would react.  The owner, McNair, has been a Houston resident since 1960 so I assume he would side with the fans on this one.  

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/4/2017 at 4:52 PM, dw49 said:

Let me put it this way. With the 24th pick in this year's draft and no 2nd in 2018 , it's very unlikely (IMO) that the Texans will solve their QB situation considering this year's QB class. Their only hope , again IMO, is that Savage is the answer .

Here's an example of a bad QB class.  2013 NFL Draft  Top rated QB's by round and number

1.16 Buffalo selects EJ Manual

2.39 Jets select Gino Smith

3.73  Bucs take Mike Glennon

4.98  Eagles select Matt Barkley

I'm not sure that this year's QB class is quite as bad as the 2013 class was.  But we will see.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure that this year's QB class is quite as bad as the 2013 class was.  But we will see.  

I didn't mean to say that it was and IMO , it is not. I was only trying to point to in some years , there are few or in this case no viable QB "options" in the draft. 

14 hours ago, Myles said:

If using the Hoyer example is what is needed, then we should compare 1 year of Hoyer in Houston to 1 year of Brock in Houston:

Hoyer - 61% completions, 19 TD's vs 7 INT's, 91.4 rating

Brock - 59% completions, 15 TD's vs 16 INT's, 72.2 rating

Did you see Hoyer's playoff game in Houston? He was terrible. Can't judge stats when it comes to the biggest game of your career, and O'Brien refused to pull him after 3 interceptions in the first half. 

9 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Did you see Hoyer's playoff game in Houston? He was terrible. Can't judge stats when it comes to the biggest game of your career, and O'Brien refused to pull him after 3 interceptions in the first half. 

Osweiler was about equally terrible against NE in the playoffs.

Isn't the bottom line for the Texans they are screwed? No one knows if O'Brien even wants to be there. The "win now" idea has their backs against the wall in terms of a good QB for 2017. There is no one in the trade stable and no draft pick is going to step in and lead the team to the playoffs/SB. Osweiller was simply a gamble and they just lost and this has happened to all teams. So how do they plan for 2018,19,20?

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Isn't the bottom line for the Texans they are screwed? No one knows if O'Brien even wants to be there. The "win now" idea has their backs against the wall in terms of a good QB for 2017. There is no one in the trade stable and no draft pick is going to step in and lead the team to the playoffs/SB. Osweiller was simply a gamble and they just lost and this has happened to all teams. So how do they plan for 2018,19,20?

Exactly. All of the pieces are there for the team to be successful except for QB. And unfortunately for them that is the hardest position to fill. There are no guarantees in this sport, especially when it comes to the passer. They could end up with a franchise QB in the draft, or another journeyman. We simply won't know until the shoes hit the field this fall. It will be interesting to see what they do moving forward. 

27 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We have yet to know if there is not a QB in the draft that can take them to the playoffs. If that does happen then anything goes.

I highly doubt if Dallas thought that when Prescott was drafted he would become the starter and then take them into the playoffs.

With that in mind assuming the Texans are screwed is too early to say.

10 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Brock was just as bad in the regular season games.  

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We have yet to know if there is not a QB in the draft that can take them to the playoffs. If that does happen then anything goes.

I highly doubt if Dallas thought that when Prescott was drafted he would become the starter and then take them into the playoffs.

With that in mind assuming the Texans are screwed is too early to say.

But the odds are long.     The smart move would be to bring in a vet and draft your future QB.  

There is only a handful of rookie QB's that have ever lead their team to the playoffs.  It would be a poor decision by any GM to willfully go into a season expecting a fresh draft pick to lead them to the playoffs.  

The thing about Tom Savage is..

They had him last year and they brought in Osweiler...

........He replaced Osweiler..and then he got hurt....and when he was healthy again.....they stayed with Osweiler.

For a couple of years now, they've been putting people ahead of Savage.......its not outsiders saying he isn't that good..the Texans have been telling Savage for years, they don't think he's that good..

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

........He replaced Osweiler..and then he got hurt....and when he was healthy again.....they stayed with Osweiler.

For a couple of years now, they've been putting people ahead of Savage.......its not outsiders saying he isn't that good..the Texans have been telling Savage for years, they don't think he's that good..

They apparently like him better than brock

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't know too much about Savage but after paying Osweiler  it might have been down to starting the QB that was being paid the most.

Savage might step in and do fine. After being on the sidelines you would figure he might have a clue.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

They apparently like him better than brock

Obviously not..they played Brock even when Tom was healthy

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know too much about Savage but after paying Osweiler  it might have been down to starting the QB that was being paid the most.

Savage might step in and do fine. After being on the sidelines you would figure he might have a clue.

Before Brock,.,they played Hoyer ahead of him.

He's the worst case scenario....

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Obviously not..they played Brock even when Tom was healthy

Before Brock,.,they played Hoyer ahead of him.

He's the worst case scenario....

If he was all that bad I doubt he would still be on their roster. Just saying.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They didn't get rid of savage

I'm pretty sure they got rid of osweiler because he was much more expensive, they were convinced he was a total flop for them, and the Browns were willing to take him off their hands and pay for the entire contract for a draft pick that the Texans were willing to give up. Best way to undo a massive mistake for them. 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, dgambill said:

Perhaps they are willing to give up that first rd pick Cleveland won't for Jimmy G. They gotta be desperate.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:25 PM, jvan1973 said:

That's what I'm thinking.   Lord I hope not.  Makes both the pats and Texans better

This is the scenario that scares me the most with Houston.  Listening to Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio, he thinks this makes a great deal of sense. he even thinks giving up next year's # 1 as well is reasonable.  Garropolo would be the first QB off the board if he were in this draft.  He is in a similar now as to what Houston plays so the learning curve would not be that steep.

Even with his lack of NFL starts, I really hope this does not happen.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This is the scenario that scares me the most with Houston.  Listening to Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio, he thinks this makes a great deal of sense. he even thinks giving up next year's # 1 as well is reasonable.  Garropolo would be the first QB off the board if he were in this draft.  He is in a similar now as to what Houston plays so the learning curve would not be that steep.

Even with his lack of NFL starts, I really hope this does not happen.

What makes Jimmy G the best QB if he was in this draft? 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know I don't get his hype? He starts and plays well for 2 games in a Belichick system on top of it and the media acts like he is the next Peyton Manning. I would rather draft Deshaun Watson who is a proven champion in college and is a duel threat = passing/running, than trade for Jimmy G.

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he was all that bad I doubt he would still be on their roster. Just saying.

You are correct. Savage isn't the worst out there for sure. But I'm not sold on him being their final answer to QB yet. If they do give him the nod for this season we will see what happens. Other players have gone from washed up to perennial winners. It's just rare... For the time being, in the present moment, Savage is most likely their better option. He knows the playbook, has actually started some games for the team, and the coaching staff hopefully understands his strengths and limits. With excellent game-planning the Texans can win with the guy. 

But as far as January football? I just don't know... 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You are correct. Savage isn't the worst out there for sure. But I'm not sold on him being their final answer to QB yet. If they do give him the nod for this season we will see what happens. Other players have gone from washed up to perennial winners. It's just rare... For the time being, in the present moment, Savage is most likely their better option. He knows the playbook, has actually started some games for the team, and the coaching staff hopefully understands his strengths and limits. With excellent game-planning the Texans can win with the guy. 

But as far as January football? I just don't know... 

The Texans definitely would never reach an AFC Title Game with Savage at QB, they still could win our Division because their Defense and run game but that would be the extent of it IMO. Savage is better than Brock though but slightly, so they still wont go anywhere big. I think they thought they were going to get Romo but it didn't happen.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Texans definitely would never reach an AFC Title Game with Savage at QB, they still could win our Division because their Defense and run game but that would be the extent of it IMO. Savage is better than Brock though but slightly, so they still wont go anywhere big. I think they thought they were going to get Romo but it didn't happen.

Savage is cheap and he fills a need for them as a backup QB. Nothing more, nothing less. No point in releasing him and trying to fill the backup QB position again when he knows the playbook.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Savage is cheap and he fills a need for them as a backup QB. Nothing more, nothing less. No point in releasing him and trying to fill the backup QB position again when he knows the playbook.

I agree. With the way Houston runs their Offense I would rather have Savage over Brock.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I don't get his hype? He starts and plays well for 2 games in a Belichick system on top of it and the media acts like he is the next Peyton Manning. I would rather draft Deshaun Watson who is a proven champion in college and is a duel threat = passing/running, than trade for Jimmy G.

Over the top.  Exactly no one has said he is the next Peyton Manning.  

And the guy that I attributed his Jimmy G appreciation to is not your run of the mill media guy. 

Just now, jskinnz said:

Over the top.  Exactly no one has said he is the next Peyton Manning.  

And the guy that I attributed his Jimmy G appreciation to is not your run of the mill media guy. 

I wasn't saying you think he is the next Peyton, I was even being a little sarcastic but some of the media act like he can save a franchise. I just wonder what it is based on? He started and played well in 2 games and it was under the Best Coach of all-time, that doesn't tell me much. He isn't that big either, he is only 6'2. Watson is taller and a duel threat and a proven winner at the 2nd biggest level being the D1 College by beating Alabama.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wasn't saying you think he is the next Peyton, I was even being a little sarcastic but some of the media act like he can save a franchise. I just wonder what it is based on? He started and played well in 2 games and it was under the Best Coach of all-time, that doesn't tell me much. He isn't that big either, he is only 6'2. Watson is taller and a duel threat and a proven winner at the 2nd biggest level being the D1 College by beating Alabama.

I agree. The past QBs that have played for Belichick and moved on have not faired very well.

The Texans are mimicking the Jets at the QB position. I don't know Obrien but living here in Houston my experience he will walk if or when the Texans fail to make the SB. I think he has had his fill.  I could be all wrong but the bringing in Osweiller deal is rumored to have * him off big time.... and now what's he got!?.

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Texans are mimicking the Jets at the QB position. I don't know Obrien but living here in Houston my experience he will walk if or when the Texans fail to make the SB. I think he has had his fill.  I could be all wrong but the bringing in Osweiller deal is rumored to have * him off big time.... and now what's he got!?.

I guess you missed this article.  But I'm guessing you know more than the Texans beat writer

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/06/john-mcclain-both-bill-obrien-and-rick-smith-wanted-brock-osweiler/

15 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That isn't a very high bar to clear.     It's not like this is a good QB class to begin with.

Trubisky might have the most talent,  but the least experience.   13 starts is a HUGE problem for a QB.   It can't be stressed enough.

Watson had two great games against Alabama....   that's his top achievement.    But he had a mostly underwhelming senior year and then caught fire very late.      Watson is my top QB,  but I doubt he'd be ready in 2017.

Mahomes and Kizer are 2nd round guys to me,   but they might get over-drafted because the need for QB's is so great.

This is an underwhelming class.     Garroppolo doesn't have to be great to be the best QB in this class.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That isn't a very high bar to clear.     It's not like this is a good QB class to begin with.

Trubisky might have the most talent,  but the least experience.   13 starts is a HUGE problem for a QB.   It can't be stressed enough.

Watson had two great games against Alabama....   that's his top achievement.    But he had a mostly underwhelming senior year and then caught fire very late.      Watson is my top QB,  but I doubt he'd be ready in 2017.

Mahomes and Kizer are 2nd round guys to me,   but they might get over-drafted because the need for QB's is so great.

This is an underwhelming class.     Garroppolo doesn't have to be great to be the best QB in this class.

Jimmy G might end up being decent but I would roll with Watson out of the QB's that have been mentioned. I think Watson can be better version of Vince Young.

22 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess you missed this article.  But I'm guessing you know more than the Texans beat writer

http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/06/john-mcclain-both-bill-obrien-and-rick-smith-wanted-brock-osweiler/

We were all hopeful and rooting for the success of Osweiler considering that he played quite decent with the Denver Broncos in place of the injured Peyton Manning.

But you know how the rest went.

The quarterback position became one of uncertainty again as Brock continued to throw interception after interception, going from one bad decision to another.

Then the musical chairs started again when Osweiler was benched in Week 13 in favor of Tom Savage, our heralded but quite brittle backup quarterback because of his poor play.

After Savage suffered a concussion in the last week of the season, Bill O’Brien had to turn back to Osweiler to complete the rest of the season, including playoffs.

He, of course, was recently traded to the Cleveland Browns along with Houston’s 2018 2nd round pick to get relief from his Texas-sized contract.

So that’s the end of that chapter.

--------------------------

Yeah, Obrien wanted him so bad he benched him and sent him packing. I wish someone wanted me that bad.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

We were all hopeful and rooting for the success of Osweiler considering that he played quite decent with the Denver Broncos in place of the injured Peyton Manning.

But you know how the rest went.

The quarterback position became one of uncertainty again as Brock continued to throw interception after interception, going from one bad decision to another.

Then the musical chairs started again when Osweiler was benched in Week 13 in favor of Tom Savage, our heralded but quite brittle backup quarterback because of his poor play.

After Savage suffered a concussion in the last week of the season, Bill O’Brien had to turn back to Osweiler to complete the rest of the season, including playoffs.

He, of course, was recently traded to the Cleveland Browns along with Houston’s 2018 2nd round pick to get relief from his Texas-sized contract.

So that’s the end of that chapter.

--------------------------

Yeah, Obrien wanted him so bad he benched him and sent him packing. I wish someone wanted me that bad.

After he sucked, he benched him and sent him packing.   Before that he wanted him.  That's the point

On 4/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jimmy G might end up being decent but I would roll with Watson out of the QB's that have been mentioned. I think Watson can be better version of Vince Young.

Not for next year.    Rookie QB's rarely take their teams to the playoffs.   Jimmy G has a year in an NFL system under his belt.   I don't know if he is good or not, but Watson has more questions.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Not for next year.    Rookie QB's rarely take their teams to the playoffs.   Jimmy G has a year in an NFL system under his belt.   I don't know if he is good or not, but Watson has more questions.

Depends on what team takes Watson. Could he lead Chicago or Cleveland to a winning season next season - no IMO, Watson would have a shot of leading the Texans to the Playoffs. Our Division is up in the air. Whoever wins our Division obviously makes the Playoffs.

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depends on what team takes Watson. Could he lead Chicago or Cleveland to a winning season next season - no IMO, Watson would have a shot of leading the Texans to the Playoffs. Our Division is up in the air. Whoever wins our Division obviously makes the Playoffs.

I think the goal for the Texans can and should be to get to the Superbowl.   They are solid everywhere except QB.  If they go rookie and play for the future, they would blow a great opportunity.   I don't think Jimmy G is a great move for them either.   Unfortunately I think Cutler might be their best option.     If they can get him for a short 1-2 year deal.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the goal for the Texans can and should be to get to the Superbowl.   They are solid everywhere except QB.  If they go rookie and play for the future, they would blow a great opportunity.   I don't think Jimmy G is a great move for them either.   Unfortunately I think Cutler might be their best option.     If they can get him for a short 1-2 year deal.  

I don't even think with Cutler they make the AFC Title Game. He has never won anything big. He has always had a lot of talent but just way too inconsistent. I pretty much think Houston is in a bad predicament, I don't see any 1 QB that come in there out of who is available and get them to a SB. That is why if Watson is available I would roll with him because in 2 or 3 years he may be able to do so. The Texans are set on Defense for a while IMO as long as Watt doesn't get injured again.