Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takk McKinely at the Combine....

It's still early,  but he's done very well....

Measured out beautifully....   6'2" and 250.    (And NOT the 265 that so many websites had)    9 3'4 inch hands -- very good.    

But look at this.....    his arms measure out at 34 3/4 inches!       Yes, please!     Thank you very much!   

And his first two events this morning.....

A 4.59 forty  and 24 reps on the bench with a BAD SHOULDER!!

So far,  I'm happy....     now I just hope he doesn't kill it too much and get drafted before us!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's still early,  but he's done very well....

Measured out beautifully....   6'2" and 250.    (And NOT the 265 that so many websites had)    9 3'4 inch hands -- very good.    

But look at this.....    his arms measure out at 34 3/4 inches!       Yes, please!     Thank you very much!   

And his first two events this morning.....

A 4.59 forty  and 24 reps on the bench with a BAD SHOULDER!!

So far,  I'm happy....     now I just hope he doesn't kill it too much and get drafted before us!

His injury may slow his roll.  He probably won't be in game shape until October or later.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

His injury may slow his roll.  He probably won't be in game shape until October or later.

Oh well. Wasn't like he was going to come in this year and set the nfl on fire. I'd still pick him at 15

Just now, KB said:

Oh well. Wasn't like he was going to come in this year and set the nfl on fire. I'd still pick him at 15

Oh yeah.  He's looking good today and his tape is awesome.  

Hopefully the plan is to bring in some FAs who can help right now, and draft a couple edge rushers and LBs who can develop for the future.  He'd be a great pick at 15.

23 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed.    And hopefully that pushes him to us....  and I'm hoping that with a new GM,  that we have a little latitude to take a player who might not be ready to go until week 4 or so....

I'd hate to lose the right guy because we might not have hm for the first month.....

I try to see the Big Picture and for me,  that includes Takk in our long-term future....

34 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

With players you draft in the first, I think you should be drafting for the long run, not for the first 2 months. If we draft him in the first we will be looking to get at least 2 contracts out of him. I firmly believe if you think he can be a foundation piece for your defense, you don't care if he misses a month or two. You care that he will be your playmaker for the next 7-8-9 years. That's why I think you take the injury into consideration only as long as it's a detriment for his long-term health and not if you only think it will stop him from playing for just a month.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed.    And hopefully that pushes him to us....  and I'm hoping that with a new GM,  that we have a little attitude to take a player who might not be ready to go until week 4 or so....

I'd hate to lose the right guy because we might not have hm for the first month.....

I try to see the Big Picture and for me,  that includes Takk in our long-term future....

I'm in the same boat. If we take one of the edge rushers at 15, I'd like Takk. He's got the highest ceiling, but unfortunately, also the lowest floor. We know he's athletic and that he would test well, but he also passes the eye test on film. Like someone said previously, it's not like we'd expect him to come in and set the NFL on fire. The rehab would at least let him get the mental reps way before he sees the field.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

can you elaborate please?

He messed up one of the drills(went for the finish line at the end instead of going towards the coach who has to give him the signal to run towards the finish line). It might have been lack of focus. Not sure you can glean that he's not bright or that he can't follow instructions from it.

"Torn right labrum and fractured glenoid (broken bone of the shoulder socket), according to Dane Brugler. The defender will undergo surgery on Monday."

Anyone have info on those types of injuries?  Once healed, are you susceptible to recurrence, etc?

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He messed up one of the drills(went for the finish line at the end instead of going towards the coach who has to give him the signal to run towards the finish line). It might have been lack of focus. Not sure you can glean that he's not bright or that he can't follow instructions from it.

1 hour ago, Oldschoolcolt19 said:

Two of the drills

Almost every drill. 

McKinley's athletic ability is obvious. He's a twitched up, flexible athlete, and he has power. I think he's raw as a pass rusher -- he has power and length, but doesn't use them well or consistently. He does look stiff at times. Production was impressive in 2016. 

I'm not thrilled with his tape. There's a lot of good, but enough bad to raise eyebrows (and that's the case for most of the athletic edges in this class). I also don't like how many mistakes he made running drills at the Combine. That's a nitpick, but it makes me wonder about his coachability. He was always first for each drill in his group, so he was at a little bit of a disadvantage, but he just seemed to lack focus and didn't follow directions well. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

"Torn right labrum and fractured glenoid (broken bone of the shoulder socket), according to Dane Brugler. The defender will undergo surgery on Monday."

Anyone have info on those types of injuries?  Once healed, are you susceptible to recurrence, etc?

I'm not a doctor but I have worked in healthcare the last 10 years and I would say with almost any injury that once it has been sustained that you are always susceptible in the future to some extent.  Of course you could just as easily sustain a new injury as well.  The sport that they play leaves them vulnerable, but I think if allowed to heal 100%, and if he regains his full strength in that area, that he wouldn't necessarily be "fragile" in that area.  I think what happens sometimes is that injuries aren't allowed to heal fully to 100% and sometimes surgeons just miss little things that they don't see that become bigger things later on.  But if fully fixed and healed he could be just as effective as he was pre-injury.  The problem in this day and age is that the NFL is a win now business and there is always that pressure to come back just before things are fully healed.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm not a doctor but I have worked in healthcare the last 10 years and I would say with almost any injury that once it has been sustained that you are always susceptible in the future to some extent.  Of course you could just as easily sustain a new injury as well.  The sport that they play leaves them vulnerable, but I think if allowed to heal 100%, and if he regains his full strength in that area, that he wouldn't necessarily be "fragile" in that area.  I think what happens sometimes is that injuries aren't allowed to heal fully to 100% and sometimes surgeons just miss little things that they don't see that become bigger things later on.  But if fully fixed and healed he could be just as effective as he was pre-injury.  The problem in this day and age is that the NFL is a win now business and there is always that pressure to come back just before things are fully healed.

Yeah, and no doubt the kid wants to play asap.  That's the only thing that bothers me about him.  Players will get injured, but you want to play the odds and not start out with them if you can help it.  

I'm sure the doctors will go over him and study his prognosis to the nth degree.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

McKinley's athletic ability is obvious. He's a twitched up, flexible athlete, and he has power. I think he's raw as a pass rusher -- he has power and length, but doesn't use them well or consistently. He does look stiff at times. Production was impressive in 2016. 

I'm not thrilled with his tape. There's a lot of good, but enough bad to raise eyebrows (and that's the case for most of the athletic edges in this class). I also don't like how many mistakes he made running drills at the Combine. That's a nitpick, but it makes me wonder about his coachability. He was always first for each drill in his group, so he was at a little bit of a disadvantage, but he just seemed to lack focus and didn't follow directions well. 

I can't like this enough.  I loved Takk, and he now terrifies me.  He is so raw, he has no technique now other than speed and brute force.   Those guys have months to practice the drills.  And he couldn't get one right or smooth all day.  He's a physical beast.  But man does his lack of apparent preparation or attention to detail or whatever it is scare me.  The combine is your audition.   I wanted the kid to succeed so bad I was making excuses for him.  Went first.  Unclear instruction.  But all day, the same thing....  nope.  I fell out of love with him in a couple hours today watching the combine.  

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I fell out of love with him in a couple hours today watching the combine.  

I would say you shouldn't fall in or out of love with anyone because of the Combine. Go back to the tape and honest evaluate. He's still good, but his lack of refinement was a thing already, and his poor drill work (being harsh, but still) kind of reinforced it.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

frank has dyslexia and that obviously hurt him on the wonderlic

We don't know that Takk doesn't have ADD or something, which I think he could still be successful.  Lets also be honest,  You can rush the QB without being in the chess club.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I would say you shouldn't fall in or out of love with anyone because of the Combine. Go back to the tape and honest evaluate. He's still good, but his lack of refinement was a thing already, and his poor drill work (being harsh, but still) kind of reinforced it.

To be honest it's the shoulder that concerns me most.  Then you sit there and watch a kid just struggle understanding the drills and it was just a huge red flag to me.  But your points well taken.  I think it was Mayock who even said something like he didn't care how he looked in shorts, he produced when it mattered on the field.  

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd but he is a little to raw to take in the 1st. I'm down to Sidney Jones and Haason Reddick as my favorite 2 options in round 1 preferrably after a trade down to acquire an extra 2nd. Reddick is a player I'd really love to see on this team. He could be a better version of Jamie Collins. Sidney Jones to me is the safest CB in this draft. 

Takk is not going in the 1st IMO. Due to his injury, I'll be a bit more comfortable taking him in the 2nd. The combine is just drills ppl. Don't buy in on everything you see. Good player though. 

We just need to get the 1st round pick right...plain and simple.

On 3/5/2017 at 5:22 PM, Smonroe said:

Yeah, and no doubt the kid wants to play asap.  That's the only thing that bothers me about him.  Players will get injured, but you want to play the odds and not start out with them if you can help it.  

I'm sure the doctors will go over him and study his prognosis to the nth degree.  

Oh yeah, I'm sure they get a much more thorough study than say you or I would.  These guys are worth millions to these teams and they are going to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb I'm sure.  What the doctors CAN'T predict is how these guys will heal and respond to these injuries.  Everybody is different and that's something I have learned in my time in healthcare.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:27 AM, Smonroe said:

I can't speak to the of the shoulder socket, but I have had 3 torn Labrum rotor cuff surgeries. A typical rehab would be would be 4 to 5 months, with light weights an stretching and gradually increasing the  weight. then you can start to add more weight. Really it takes about a year to get FULL STRENGTH back. He could be more oppt to get this injury again because you do lose some flexibility. Honestly I like McKinley to but the broken bone scares me.  

Many Glenoid fractures heal e sounds like dislocation and fossa fracture of some size.

This one seems to be a dislocation with Glenoid Fossa fracture. if small, bone chip will be removed with Labrum repair.  Tendency to future dislocation is notbly higher.