Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Lewis' job is safe per Schefter

RockThatBlue

2 minutes ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

Why fire the man?  What evidence is there that anyone else they bring in will be better?  They've been in the post season 5 years in a row.  Just keep plugging away and eventually they will break through.

They make the playoffs every year...you cant trade that for something you don't know..

....He's obviously a good coach and the team is still fairly young..I;d stay with him

Below are some teams that fired their coach after making the playoffs, and what happened to the team in the following year. I'm sure there are others, but these are ones I know about. 

Dungy-Bucs - Went from 9-7 to 12-4 and won Super Bowl with new coach

Schottenheimer-Chargers - Went from 14-2 to 11-5, went further in playoffs with new coach

Schottenheimer-Browns - Went from 11-5 to 9-6-1, went further in playoffs with new coach

Fox-Broncos - Went from 12-4 to 12-4, at minimum will go as far in playoffs

16 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Below are some teams that fired their coach after making the playoffs, and what happened to the team in the following year. I'm sure there are others, but these are ones I know about. 

Schottenheimer-Chargers - Went from 14-2 to 11-5, went further in playoffs with new coach

Schottenheimer-Browns - Went from 11-5 to 9-6-1, went further in playoffs with new coach

A jolt goes a long way to get the team listening to a new voice. I agree.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I dint want to fire guys over the playoffs...You let folks go when they don't make the playoffs

This isn't the world we live in anymore. At a certain point you have to realize there's a hill you just can't climb with what you have. Your options are either settle for what they give you, or gamble and make the change to try and push farther. Cincinnati's ownership is incredibly conservative, and is well known to not care about winning as long as they do well enough to keep tickets flowing and butts in seats for TV deals. 

Marvin Lewis is perfect for them.

36 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This isn't the world we live in anymore. At a certain point you have to realize there's a hill you just can't climb with what you have. Your options are either settle for what they give you, or gamble and make the change to try and push farther. Cincinnati's ownership is incredibly conservative, and is well known to not care about winning as long as they do well enough to keep tickets flowing and butts in seats for TV deals. 

Marvin Lewis is perfect for them.

Sounds like the football version of the Cubs

What is it about Marvin Lewis that he can't seem to get control of his locker room? It goes back to the days of Chad Ochocinco. Then, as if to troll us, they also brought in Terrell Owens. Then the guy who needs no introduction is Pacman Jones who cost them that late flag. Meanwhile, he went on that expletive-rant after the game.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/cincinnati-bengals-pittsburgh-steelers-pacman-jones-rant-instagram-referee-010916

If the Bengals are serious about winning, they need to bring in professional personalities who don't act like thugs.

It would be an attractive job if it ever came open. At least Cincy is not like Cleveland or Tampa pretending they want a championship and then firing their coaches in 2 years or less. Cincy will actually stand by their coach as long as he wins. They were very close to winning. I don't like the comments about thugs because I don't see their players going to jail and committing crimes. Lewis players used to have a rep like that years ago but you don't hear about his players being in trouble with the law anymore, I believe he has cleaned that stuff up. Heck as of recent I have seen more Colts players in trouble with the Law than the Bengals. Just got through looking at Zirlon Tipton get arrested as of last week. I would say Lewis has tolerated undisciplined players more than the falsehood of him liking thugs.

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Sounds like the football version of the Cubs

That's actually a pretty good analogy. Their playoff win drought isn't quite as epic as the Cubs championship drought, but at 25 years since their last playoff win, it is the longest active playoff winless streak in the NFL (Detroit sits second at 24 years since last playoff win).

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

That was the following year.  Now go find and post what those teams did the 3 years after with that new coach...

Yes, the first gets props for winning the Super Bowl.

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

True words....

..but the Bears fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6 season..and they've been in the toilet ever since

Lovie Smith is also a dead end coaching end with an outdated defensive scheme that no longer functions in the modern ruleset. The Bears were going to suck regardless.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That was the following year.  Now go find and post what those teams did the 3 years after with that new coach...

Yes, the first gets props for winning the Super Bowl.

Excellent point ColtsBlue. It appears you get some immediate return and then things pretty much fall apart. 

Bucs made playoffs only 2 of the following 6 years with Gruden, and bad ever since

Chargers were about the same for next 2 years with Turner and then fell off

Browns were not good for several years after the first year success, until Belichek had a good season

22 minutes ago, Shane Bond said:

Didn't Peyton start with 0-6?

You can't compare a QB 0-6 in 7 years to 0-7 in 13 years for a head coach. Even then, Peyton still catches flak nationally as the king of one and done so idk if that's the correlation you want to be making to defend Mediocre Marvin.

19 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

You can't compare a QB 0-6 in 7 years to 0-7 in 13 years for a head coach. Even then, Peyton still catches flak nationally as the king of one and done so idk if that's the correlation you want to be making to defend Mediocre Marvin.

More towards Andy Dalton when people say he hasn't won and really its about trusting.

If Jerome Hill didn't fumble, they will be taking kneel and win the game. Cant directly blame Marvin for that.