Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D Line

TYtheMan13

How many Defensive Linemen do you guys think will make the 53 man roster, and who?

I think colts will carry 7- Jones, Chapman, Langford, Hughes, Anderson, Kerr, Quarles (Quarles and Parry will battle for the last spot, loser going to PS)

What do you guys think? Feel free to leave reasons for your decisions.

Jones, Chapman and Langford will be the starters week 1 most likely. Then Hughes, Kerr, and Anderson are mostly locks IMO. Then Parry and Quarles will battle it out for the last spot. So my prediction is this

Jones, Chapman, Langford, Anderson, Kerr, Hughes, and Quarles.

I think Quarles will make it over Parry. Parry can go to the PS. I like Quarles. I think he's got potential. I'm hoping one of Chapman, Kerr, or Hughes really break out too. I think Kerr's the most likely to do it. And look for Arthur Jones to be a beast this year. I mean an absolute beast. Book it.

Jones, Chapman and Langford will be the starters week 1 most likely. Then Hughes, Kerr, and Anderson are mostly locks IMO. Then Parry and Quarles will battle it out for the last spot. So my prediction is this

I think Quarles will make it over Parry. Parry can go to the PS. I like Quarles. I think he's got potential. I'm hoping one of Chapman, Kerr, or Hughes really break out too. I think Kerr's the most likely to do it. And look for Arthur Jones to be a beast this year. I mean an absolute beast. Book it.

I doubt we're going to try and stash our 5th round pick in the PS

Jones, Chapman and Langford will be the starters week 1 most likely. Then Hughes, Kerr, and Anderson are mostly locks IMO. Then Parry and Quarles will battle it out for the last spot. So my prediction is this

I hope you're right about Jones..if he's healthy I think he'll be a huge difference..I also think Kerr can be a good rotation player, I don't know if he can start just yet (if an injury happened) but he does have potential..and for some reason I think Quarles can turn into a pleasant surprise, and have a bigger impact than Parry.

I doubt we're going to try and stash our 5th round pick in the PS

you could be right, but do you see him beating out Quarles? not saying he's no good or not useful but I think Quarles could beat him for the last spot, he looked ok in the little time he played last season.

you could be right, but do you see him beating out Quarles? not saying he's no good or not useful but I think Quarles could beat him for the last spot, he looked ok in the little time he played last season.

As someone mentioned, Parry is going to get preference because he would more than likely be swept away to another team if we tried to stash him on the PS

Why can't we just keep all 8! Lol why choose!

But in all reality I have no idea, I think this is a tough choice for the coaches to make based on how they perform this offseason.

But in all reality I have no idea, I think this is a tough choice for the coaches to make based on how they perform this offseason.

The difficulty in keeping all 8, is that special teams will want more linebackers and defensive backs.

The typical number of total defensive players is 26...

So, if you've got 8 DL,  then you're only going to have 9 LB's and 9 DB's...

Coaches will want either 10 LB's or 10 DB's, and maybe even both, and only have 6 DL.

That's the problem.    It's a numbers game.

The difficulty in keeping all 8, is that special teams will want more linebackers and defensive backs.

The typical number of total defensive players is 26...

So, if you've got 8 DL, then you're only going to have 9 LB's and 9 DB's...

Coaches will want either 10 LB's or 10 DB's, and maybe even both, and only have 6 DL.

That's the problem. It's a numbers game.

I appreciate the insight but I was just joking lol Id be quite surprised/shocked If we do keep 8!

8 players for 3 spots on the D line? When you have a 53 man active roster, that is like 15% of your game day active roster for 3 positions.... not gonna fly.

I think Quarles is going to make us find a way to keep 8.

We will have to sacrifice somewhere maybe we only carry Gore Boom Robinson with Tipton safely on the PS. Go light at WR with 5.

No FB we have Doyle and/or Allen to play that role. 2 QB 3 RB 5 WR 3 TE 9 OL total 22

8 DL 10 LB 10 DB total 28 then K P LS

Or keep 6 WR 9 LB or 9 DB. We can work it out if Quarles makes us.

Langford

Chapman

Anderson

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

Parry

PS

Okine

I think Quarles gets cut, He did not even see close to 50 snaps last year despite being signed September 16th of last season (He was waived once during that time on November 24th but signed again the 25th)

I hope you are right on Arthur Jones. 

I think he would get back to beast form if he actually lost a little weight. 

I think Parry makes it over Quarles though. 

Langford

Chapman

Anderson

Jones

Hughes

Kerr

Parry

PS

Okine

I think Quarles gets cut, He did not even see close to 50 snaps last year despite being signed September 16th of last season (He was waived once during that time on November 24th but signed again the 25th)

I agree with most of this list, but Okine hasn't been able to stick anywhere either.  He had to go to another league just to keep playing.  I do like some of his potential as a run stuffer from some of the film I saw though.  When he gets his hands on those lineman(at least in College) they go backwards and he controls them.   To me it would have kind of been hard for Quarles to see any meaningful snaps over Hughes and Kerr, plus some of the other veterans like Redding and Francois.  I don't see where there would have been room for Quarles to get any snaps.

How many Defensive Linemen do you guys think will make the 53 man roster, and who?

I think colts will carry 7- Jones, Chapman, Langford, Hughes, Anderson, Kerr, Quarles (Quarles and Parry will battle for the last spot, loser going to PS)

What do you guys think? Feel free to leave reasons for your decisions.

I dont think Quarles has the ability to be eligible for the PS 

I agree with most of this list, but Okine hasn't been able to stick anywhere either.  He had to go to another league just to keep playing.  I do like some of his potential as a run stuffer from some of the film I saw though.  When he gets his hands on those lineman(at least in College) they go backwards and he controls them.   To me it would have kind of been hard for Quarles to see any meaningful snaps over Hughes and Kerr, plus some of the other veterans like Redding and Francois.  I don't see where there would have been room for Quarles to get any snaps.

Maybe, But Hughes saw less than 200 snaps

Maybe, But Hughes saw less than 200 snaps

I believe there were multiple times on Gameday that Hughes or Kerr were inactive.   Coaches decided to go with one or the other. There were some occasions where they played both of them at the same time, but most of the time they kind of switched back and forth between the two.  I don't think the Colts had a need to bring Quarles up, but I do remember Quarles playing early when he first got on the team against Jacksonville.  I can't recall whether Hughes and Kerr were hurt or what happened. 

I do think if Quarles has any PS eligibility left I can't see him getting released and we keep Okine on the PS in his place.   I could be wrong because I'm not real sharp on the new PS rules, but I'm going to assume he should have some elligiblity left because he didn't play much.  I believe the more games you play the less eligibility you have to be on the PS.  Again I could be wrong about how I'm bringing this together, but I recall Whalen being on the PS last year and he's played in more live games than Quarles.  

Reallly?  O.o  for some odd reason i thought he was a Vet and has been around for quite some time lol 

Oh yeah, he's still very young.  The only NFL games he's ever played in were 2 last year while with the Colts. He hadn't played in a live regular season game prior to that.  Were you maybe thinking of Shelton Quarles?  He was a LB with the Bucs a while back.

Oh yeah, he's still very young.  The only NFL games he's ever played in were 2 last year while with the Colts. He hadn't played in a live regular season game prior to that.  Were you maybe thinking of Shelton Quarles?  He was a LB with the Bucs a while back.

Quite possibly idk for some odd reason that last name Quarles sticks out like a sore thumb for me. 

Quite possibly idk for some odd reason that last name Quarles sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

I actually think there is another de/dt type player that came out the same year or the year after with a similar name. Can't think of it right now though