Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does luck rank in throwing strength? Does he have a "cannon"?

Trace Pyott

I was wAtching lucks highlights and noticed how the ball seemed to zip out of his hands. It just looks effortless. It's like he just flicks his wrist and the ball goes 30 yards. I know one of his so cAlled flaws was his long ball but to me he seems to have one of the strongest arms in the nfl. I know he isn't as accurate as we all may want him to be but it seems like he has the velocity and power to out a ball anywhere. Where do you guys rank him in the NFL in terms of bAll velocity and Arm power?

On a slightly more serious note, is arm strength really all that important anyway? Plenty of cannons have been and gone in the NFL without making a bang ( :P) while QBs who've never been known for their arm strength get put in the "elite" tier.

IMO as long as you can make all the throws that a offense requires your arm is strong enough. 

In NFL terms I would say his arm strength is average for franchise QB's.  

To me Arm Strength is just something that you have to have enough of so that it doesn't prevent you from making the right throws with enough speed on the ball.  But after you've reached that point it doesn't actually add a whole lot to your game.

If you look at the list of the guys with the strongest throwing arms they typically are a group of average to slightly above average QB's.  

Chad Pennington had one of the weakest arms I've ever witnessed and is historically a very accurate QB.....just saying.

Luck has an incredibly strong arm from what I've seen and his accuracy is average but will continue to get better. Fortunately, he's ridiculously accurate when throwing on the run, which is fun to watch.

On a slightly more serious note, is arm strength really all that important anyway? Plenty of cannons have been and gone in the NFL without making a bang ( :P) while QBs who've never been known for their arm strength get put in the "elite" tier.

IMO as long as you can make all the throws that a offense requires your arm is strong enough. 

Very true. The one that most comes to my mind is Jeff George. I doubt there are many who had a rocket arm as strong as his was.

If you have questions about his arm strength, please take a look at:

-his 75 yard bomb at the end of his pro day

-the throw he made to Brazill while falling in the Lions game

-the throw he made to Hilton to beat 2 defenders and score a TD vs. the Texans

-same as above, but against the Chiefs in the playoffs

I would post gifs of all of those right now, but my internet connection is slow, so it would take me quite a while.

I was wAtching lucks highlights and noticed how the ball seemed to zip out of his hands. It just looks effortless. It's like he just flicks his wrist and the ball goes 30 yards. I know one of his so cAlled flaws was his long ball but to me he seems to have one of the strongest arms in the nfl. I know he isn't as accurate as we all may want him to be but it seems like he has the velocity and power to out a ball anywhere. Where do you guys rank him in the NFL in terms of bAll velocity and Arm power?

I agree, Luck seems to throw effortlessly. I Definaitely think he has a Cannon!