Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Adrian Peterson play again this season or ever?

SilentHill

I was having an interesting debate with some people at work, who are not really hardcore football fans.

They all think that Adrian Peterson is done, that he will be banned from the NFL, and that he wont play again this season ,or maybe even next, stating that all of the negative PR for a NFL team would be too much to handle.

It was an interesting argument, because on the other side, Adrian Peterson is no Ray Rice, he is a superstar, arguably the best RB in the NFL over the past decade, and a team dying for a superstar at the RB position could pick him up if the Vikings part ways.

He is however, getting up there in age, he is now 29 years old. a missed season or two, could close out his career.

What does everyone think?

I was having an interesting debate with some people at work, who are not really hardcore football fans.

They all think that Adrian Peterson is done, that he will be banned from the NFL, and that he wont play again this season ,or maybe even next, stating that all of the negative PR for a NFL team would be too much to handle.

It was an interesting argument, because on the other side, Adrian Peterson is no Ray Rice, he is a superstar, arguably the best RB in the NFL over the past decade, and a team dying for a superstar at the RB position could pick him up if the Vikings part ways. 

He is however, getting up there in age, he is now 29 years old. a missed season or two, could close out his career. 

What does everyone think?

He'll play for Minnesota next season....

He'll be acquitted on child abuse charges because of why he hit his kid

The NFL will reinstate him when he is acquitted..which will be after this year has ended..and he will be welcomed back in Minnesota.

That's how NFL fans are.

He'll play for Minnesota next season....

He'll be acquitted on child abuse charges because of why he hit his kid

The NFL will reinstate him when he is acquitted..which will be after this year has ended..and he will be welcomed back in Minnesota.

That's how NFL fans are.

If this is the case then Adrian will inevitably file a substantial lawsuit. The catch-22 Roger has to navigate is ridiculous.

To avoid these situations I think it could be helpful if mass numbers of fans would unite for the simple cause to help protect our league. We need to boycott corporate sponsors like Pepsi if they feel the need to play commish.

People act like the league is all the sudden a cesspool when in reality it is not any worse than in years past. For every Hernandez there was a Carruth or Muhammed, mustafa.

This is clearly an assault on the NFL by a spectrum of power-hungry bandits (government, corporate, media, special interest). Seems big brother doesn't appreciate an event that unites so many different cultures and social classes. It is painstakingly obvious that they need the NFL just to be relevant. That's why the media/prosecutors withheld video/photo evidence of Rice and Peterson until the season started. Basically, to hell with the wife/kid as long as these greedy pigs maximized their exposure, which they certainly did. And we bought it. Again. This should be old news like Irsay's incident.

I think he'll play again next year, but I suspect it will be with another team.  To me they've already handed the future over to Teddy Bridgewater and J. Mckinnon. After they lose about 2 more games in a row with Cassel they will bench him and hand it over to Teddy and Mckinnon in the backfield.  

I think much of that depends on whether or not he goes to jail. 

We're a society that pretends to believe in second chances, but all too often, we're not willing to actually give a second chance. I am disgusting by acts like what Peterson committed. But as I've highlighted, what Peterson did is just a step farther than what schools are allowed to do, what my 4th grade principal did to me. I don't think there was intent to abuse, Peterson just didn't understand how archaic his brand of punishment was. 

He is an amazing talent. A HoF player still very much capable of smashing 2k yards. Of course other teams will accept him, that is, if the people will be willing to give him a second chance. To arrive at such a point, people have to ask themselves if they would want the same second chance extended to them or a loved one for making a serious mistake. 

I don't think he's bad, but I think he's overrated. If he were as good as Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and the other backs he's lumped in with, then he would carry his team to a .500 season every now and then like those guys did every year.

Barry played on some lean Detroit teams, similar to AP in Minny. Both were the focal points throughout their careers yet they dominated with 8 stacking the box. This proves greatness IMO.

I think much of that depends on whether or not he goes to jail. 

We're a society that pretends to believe in second chances, but all too often, we're not willing to actually give a second chance. I am disgusting by acts like what Peterson committed. But as I've highlighted, what Peterson did is just a step farther than what schools are allowed to do, what my 4th grade principal did to me. I don't think there was intent to abuse, Peterson just didn't understand how archaic his brand of punishment was. 

We are a society that prances around good guy badges and pretends to be morally superior to the rest of the world, even though when you break down that image, it's the opposite. The image sells and that's what counts. People in general are narcissistic and like to believe they are some kind of great people. Not that any of this should matter to people, I don't think anyone should worry what others think of them, but our society is conditioned to think this way, and it sells. The image sells and that image is important.

Anyone that grabs a weapon as he did and strikes a child with it, they had intent to abuse. That person taking the "whooping" as he called it, is still a person and that is still abuse, and it's wrong. Especially a 4 year old child that has no idea what he did wrong. Kids are going to do kid like things, it's how they are. They're hyper and stuff.

He should be in prison for child abuse, instead of being a rich jock athlete worshiped for his athletic abilities.

People like him are always given second chances. Is he in jail now? Did Josh Gordon get jail time for what he did smoking pot? If those guys were poor, they'd be in jail. They are already privileged enough by being rich athletes. When a poor person does those things, they get time for it. No one is screaming to let pot smoker out of jail, but they'll support someone like Gordon cause they entertain us and play these games for us. 

People in general, need to stop humanizing these rich god like figures weather it be the celebrities or athletes. Most people in society can't even give that kind of consideration towards their fellow man, but they'll sympathize for a jock athlete and make excuses for them, weather it be the typical "I got beat when I was young, it made me into a man" or "people make mistakes", the double standard is obvious. These guys can do horrible things and they get humanized for it.

I really think it goes back to the school days. Most people know that in school, the jocks ran the school yard and got special treatment just cause they played for the school team. At least that is how it was at my school, and as I've gotten older without going to college, I realize that just follows these guys from high school and they continue to get special treatment as they get older and eventually become professional athletes.

It has to stop somewhere eventually. They don't need a bunch of excuses made for them, and we have a nation that glorifies these guys for their masculinity and athletic abilities. They are supposed to be role models for kids, so it's no excuse for child abuse.

People in general, need to stop humanizing these rich god like figures weather it be the celebrities or athletes. Most people in society can't even give that kind of consideration towards their fellow man, but they'll sympathize for a jock athlete and make excuses for them, weather it be the typical "I got beat when I was young, it made me into a man" or "people make mistakes", the double standard is obvious. These guys can do horrible things and they get humanized for it.

The fact that you don't see him as human is very concerning. The fact that you seem to espouse that one's humanity, as well as one's right to be treated with human empathy, goes away if they find celebrity.....is very concerning. The terrible idea of hitting your kids with a stick to gain compliance is all too human. 

The irony in this is, I feel Peterson was targeted here BECAUSE he's a celebrity. If we rounded up everyone that does what he did and put them in prison, well it simply can't be done. We don't have room in our prisons to house millions of people. MILLIONS of people do this everyday, and hopefully this incident causes many of them to stop beating their kids. There's nothing a prosecutor loves more than a chance at a high profile cases. The exposure they gain from cases like this often makes their careers. 

They are supposed to be role models for kids, so it's no excuse for child abuse.

Where did you get that idea, from a box of Wheaties? 

I don't think he's bad, but I think he's overrated. If he were as good as Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and the other backs he's lumped in with, then he would carry his team to a .500 season every now and then like those guys did every year.

If I remember correctly, the Lions made the playoffs only once with Barry Sanders. The Lions had some other very good players like Herman Moore, Chris Spielman, and Mel Gray, but they could never keep a steady QB, a situation similar to the Vikings. I would not attribute their losing to the play of the running backs.

Peterson will play again if he wants to. He is too talented not to, even if he is "old" for a running back.

Lets just tell it like it is..

Beating your kid is not as bad as beating your wife..

Its un comfortable to hear. Its uncomfortable to say.

But that's why Adrian will be back..

There's a distinct difference here. 

One act denotes rage and the other denotes a customary form of discipline. i.e. Intent is everything. 

He'll be back. I hope he does. I hope he learns what he did was wrong. I hope he becomes a better person for it. I hope our society learns from his mistake. All told, I would get no personal satisfaction watching Adrian Peterson burn as a witch on a stake. We should all be rooting for him, not clamoring for his demise. 

There's a distinct difference here.

One act denotes rage and the other denotes a customary form of discipline. i.e. Intent is everything.

He'll be back. I hope he does. I hope he learns what he did was wrong. I hope he becomes a better person for it. I hope our society learns from his mistake. All told, I would get no personal satisfaction watching Adrian Peterson burn as a witch on a stake. We should all be rooting for him, not clamoring for his demise.

nonsense.

Both are forms of intimidation to inspire fear.

Plain and simple.

That's a good point, ruk..

Both Rice and Peterson were wrong....

But Rice knew what he did was wrong..Adrian didn't.

I want him to come back/

Exactly. Rice didn't do what he did because he hoped it would make his wife a better person. 

What I would like to see attacked is this sentiment (conveyed by Charles Barkley in an interview with Jim Rome) that what Adrian did was acceptable because that brand of discipline is common in black culture. Problem being, this teaches kids to solve problems with violence. Guess what else is common in black culture? Violence. Charles likely wouldn't want to hear the truth to that end.

[Lawfully] Murdering women with stones is common in Middle Eastern culture over social indiscretions. Certainly Barkley doesn't think that acceptable due only to the practice's acceptability within a given culture, does he? Though Barkley's comments do echo the sentiment I'm conveying. That Adrian didn't think this was abuse, he didn't mean to do something wholly terrible to his child. His intent was good, his methodology was horrible and misguided. 

nonsense.

Both are forms of intimidation to inspire fear.

Plain and simple.

See *Intent

The law addresses this aspect clearly. 

If I steal your car keys to be malicious, I'm a criminal. If I steal your car keys because you're going to drive drunk, I'm a good person. 

See *Intent

I don't think he should play. It's not right for him to play while ray rice just sits back and watches him play. If (he) plays ray rice should play as well.

I think both of them will play again. What good does it do to ban them from playing? It certainly does not help the victims. It only satisfies those people who want revenge and punishment, as Valpo has eloquently argued in other threads. They both should serve their suspensions and get whatever intervention is needed to correct their behavior.

I am hopeful that they both will learn from this, as Vick did, and become model citizens. That may be idealistic, but it does no good to wish ill on anyone regardless of their transgressions.

People :-|

The Lions made it to the playoffs 5 times with Barry, and lost once to the future SB champions in the NFCCG. They did this in the 90s NFCC too, whose last place was usually 1 win less than the NFCN's first place today, and whose best player just happened to be the 1 player in the league better than Barry. Fast forward to 2009 and AP got that same player on his team.

Also, I've done my share of raging about the NFCCG and I stand by it. It was a sham BUT if AP hadn't fumbled away Favre's 20 point 4th quarter comeback in Chicago a couple weeks earlier we might not have even had to play the Saints.

Exactly. Rice didn't do what he did because he hoped it would make his wife a better person. 

What I would like to see attacked is this sentiment (conveyed by Charles Barkley in an interview with Jim Rome) that what Adrian did was acceptable because that brand of discipline is common in black culture. Problem being, this teaches kids to solve problems with violence. Guess what else is common in black culture? Violence. Charles likely wouldn't want to hear the truth to that end.

[Lawfully] Murdering women with stones is common in Middle Eastern culture over social indiscretions. Certainly Barkley doesn't think that acceptable due only to the practice's acceptability within a given culture, does he? Though Barkley's comments do echo the sentiment I'm conveying. That Adrian didn't think this was abuse, he didn't mean to do something wholly terrible to his child. His intent was good, his methodology was horrible and misguided. 

He was also intoxicated, which could surely cloud his judgment, and also the force of what was intended to be an open handed slap. I'm not saying he was innocent, but then again, neither is Peterson.