Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Pass Interference, Offense number 13."

Dustin

You think reffing in the Sunday night game was bad?

DrANu86.gif

^^^^^

This was called an offensive pass interference

There really needs to be accountability with officials. Teams can overcome stuff like this, but that doesn't excuse the fact it occurs. Teams shouldn't have to overcome this garbage. There is human error, and then there is crap like this. It happens all the time in the NFL.

One flub like this is one flub too many. Let alone when one team gets hosed all game long. (Denver/Baltimore) 

In this game every possession matters. Every bounce matters. This is the most team reliant sport in the world. Zebras  impact the game far too much when they blow an easy call or non call. There needs to be accountability and incentive to do their job well. Yes it's a fast paced game, but if some of these old farts can't keep up then the NFL needs to find people who can.

Yep. And the Chargers couldn't gain 6 inches to win. 

BTW, u still haven't shaved your neck beard? loll

haha I'm one of those (un)lucky souls who only grows so much, much to the disdain of my old man who is constantly on me to shave it. It comes nowhere near Andrew's :P

Now that was an awful call. Coaches should 100% be able to challenge stuff like that. I always get upset when I see an awful call change a game...

The reason there are no challenges is because those are judgment calls. Unlike say a review whether a foot is out of bounds.

Now in this case it's clear. But the majority of PI and holding calls are not and you can imagine if they were all reviewable for challenge. Wouldn't work. So you're going to get away with some and you're going to get flagged with some bogus calls.

The reason there are no challenges is because those are judgment calls. Unlike say a review whether a foot is out of bounds.

Now in this case it's clear. But the majority of PI and holding calls are not and you can imagine if they were all reviewable for challenge. Wouldn't work. So you're going to get away with some and you're going to get flagged with some bogus calls.

I can understand judgement calls, but with how fast the action is mistakes can happen very easily. When the call is so clearly wrong, as is the case here, it should be reviewable in my opinion. The receiver didn't even make contact with the defender.

It seems like there are way more ticky-tack calls this year. I think all players really want is consistency... refs don't seem to be providing that. It's like it's different every play, every game, and depending on the crew. The Patriots got a couple their way two weeks ago against Miami and there was one roughing call on Houston for bumping Luck that seemed real borderline. I think it came on the play right before the first TD pass to Hilton, where Luck was rolling to his right... 

In some ways I actually would love to see the NFL allow reviews on penalty calls. I realize there is the whole "judgement call" angle, but haven't you ever seen something once (something fast, to boot) and kind of missed what happened? I realize it's not as black-and-white as "was he out of bounds or not?" but a second look could help refs get it right. 

There really needs to be accountability with officials. Teams can overcome stuff like this, but that doesn't excuse the fact it occurs. Teams shouldn't have to overcome this garbage. There is human error, and then there is crap like this. It happens all the time in the NFL.

One flub like this is one flub too many. Let alone when one team gets hosed all game long. (Denver/Baltimore) 

In this game every possession matters. Every bounce matters. This is the most team reliant sport in the world. Zebras  impact the game far too much when they blow an easy call or non call. There needs to be accountability and incentive to do their job well. Yes it's a fast paced game, but if some of these old farts can't keep up then the NFL needs to find people who can.

They do hold refs accountable. Crews get suspended and/or demoted when their rating gets low. The league doesn't publicly cane the refs when they miss a call, but there are procedures in place.

I can understand judgement calls, but with how fast the action is mistakes can happen very easily. When the call is so clearly wrong, as is the case here, it should be reviewable in my opinion. The receiver didn't even make contact with the defender.

Yes this case is clear. Most PI and holding calls can be subjective. You would even have to rule on intent. Can you imagine if these could be challenged. There wouldn't be enough red flags or coaches would be out of timeouts and wouldn't throw it. There's just too many.

Of course you could just review the PI calls even though they fall under the subjective holding calls but that's still too many. The game would really slow down too.

This is a clear case it was wrong. Many are borderline and others blatant.

I don't know what the answer can be but if you even touch a WR it can be PI and it does ruin the game partly. It's just something we have to put up with......or go back to the old days of PI

It seems like there are way more ticky-tack calls this year. I think all players really want is consistency... refs don't seem to be providing that. It's like it's different every play, every game, and depending on the crew. The Patriots got a couple their way two weeks ago against Miami and there was one roughing call on Houston for bumping Luck that seemed real borderline. I think it came on the play right before the first TD pass to Hilton, where Luck was rolling to his right... 

In some ways I actually would love to see the NFL allow reviews on penalty calls. I realize there is the whole "judgement call" angle, but haven't you ever seen something once (something fast, to boot) and kind of missed what happened? I realize it's not as black-and-white as "was he out of bounds or not?" but a second look could help refs get it right. 

As far as borderline, ref's are now brainwashed to side on safety (thus flags) and some ticky tack calls will now be the norm. We all need to build that bridge and get over it. As far as penalty review?  I'd like to have an official ready to review just penalties; either on site or at NFL central station.  He'll never be needed except like in above example.  He could buzz the Ref, and then Ref can bring group together and discuss to reverse, or go under the hood to verify. His discretion.

It's a bad call. We see them every week. The sad part is there are seven officials on the field and three more working the sidelines. Every eligible receiver has an official assigned to watch him. There should be fewer lousy calls.   

Get back to play. Every review doesn't need to take so long. Most are very obvious.

As far as borderline, ref's are now brainwashed to side on safety (thus flags) and some ticky tack calls will now be the norm. We all need to build that bridge and get over it. As far as penalty review?  I'd like to have an official ready to review just penalties; either on site or at NFL central station.  He'll never be needed except like in above example.  He could buzz the Ref, and then Ref can bring group together and discuss to reverse, or go under the hood to verify. His discretion.

Good idea. 

I know the refs are human, but in the gif Dustin posted there's not even contact made, lol!!!

This was a truely bad call.....unlike most calls we cry about that could be seen going either way I really don't know what the umpire saw. Most bad calls go both ways and don't affect the outcome too much...its when a call happens late in a game and the team doesn't have the opportunity to over come it is when it hurts the worst...ala Sea/GB.

Good idea. 

I know the refs are human, but in the gif Dustin posted there's not even contact made, lol!!!

Yup, that would get a Buzz. Head ref pulls all of them together while sideline refs keep players away and they discuss what everyone did or did not see.  If no real evidence to fully support or reverse the original call, then Head ref heads for the replay monitor. like replay supposed to be, incontrovertible evidence only to reverse.  That play would have it in spades.

Most bad calls go both ways and don't affect the outcome too much

I wasn't even going to comment in this thread, until I saw this post.

My wife is from SoCal and a Chargers fan.  I watched this entire game on Sunday Ticket.  The entire game was full of bad calls, and they went both ways.

Tha's the NFL.  I wish folks would deal with it. (however I must say, that was an AWFUL call! lol)

I wasn't even going to comment in this thread, until I saw this post.

My wife is from SoCal and a Chargers fan.  I watched this entire game on Sunday Ticket.  The entire game was full of bad calls, and they went both ways.

Tha's the NFL.  I wish folks would deal with it. (however I must say, that was an AWFUL call! lol)

I think you took my words out of context...it was a horrendous call...amoungst others...but in general unless a call happens late either side has an opportunity to play and change the outcome...unless it comes very late in a game. Few games are just one sided screw jobs. I don't get caught up with bad calls because you get the chance to line right up and stop a team...or go at them and score....sure it can hurt your momentum etc but most of the time the game is won by players on the field. I think us fans make too big a deal about calls...because we feel helpless...but players know they got another chance and as a player I never felt robbed or screwed by the refs...I always felt like I should have taken it out of their hands by playing better.

I was agreeing with you...

Gotcha...I thought so from your post but I wasn't sure lol...my bad. People do get kinda crazy over a bad call and it is frustrating...but mostly because we as viewers have no way to affect the outcome of a game....on the field it can be upsetting but as players we always knew we could get it back etc...and I'm sure the coaches and players feel the same way...playing against adversity is nothing...so a blown call here or there shouldn't stop them from achieving their goal...a td or stop or whatever. It is still decided on the field regardless of a couple blown calls...I don't remember a game that was overtly one sided like there was cheating on the refs part althought that SB in Detroit kinda comes to mind but I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Football is too hard to control...it isn't like the NBA where you can get a guy in foul trouble or easily effect scores with dubious calls...I don't think refs can throw a game in the NFL and yet some fans like to think the league is out against the Colts....nevermind the other 31 teams that feel the same way.