Photo

Polian Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ohio Colt

Ohio Colt
  • 2239 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Did it ever make its way out what Polian desired to do; whether it be:

1) keep 18 and trade the #1 overall pick

Or

2) jettison Peyton, draft Luck, rebuild around him but Irsay decided that he was not the man for the job?

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 HtownColt

HtownColt
  • 6609 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I dont know, all I heard Polian say was that He watched alot of film on Luck and RGIII and you couldn't go wrong which ever one you choose but it was Irsay's decision to choose which QB he wanted.

#3 jbaron04

jbaron04
  • 1424 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Polian wanted rg3

#4 Nobody

Nobody
  • 5239 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

He said that Irsay made the decision to keep the pick and Polian told him you can't go wrong with either one. No idea who he was partial to.
I will delete this when the new Colts win a Super Bowl.

Come on boys, let's get rid of the rest of my sig!

#5 Ohio Colt

Ohio Colt
  • 2239 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

I wondered what Polian's plan was though.... not between RG3/Luck... but more keep Peyton or get rid of Peyton and draft Luck, or keep Peyton, draft Luck...... I would LOVE to know what the plan was.

#6 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 8044 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've never heard Polian give his preference to either QB....

His standard line is that "you couldn't go wrong with either one...."

I've also never heard him say what he wanted to do, regarding keeping Manning or cutting him and starting over.

My instincts would be he wanted to cut and start over, but that's more my hunch. The decision looks easier now. The decision had to be made in March. Back in March the easier decision was to set Manning free and start over. I think that's what Polian would have done if given a chance.

Personally, I also suspect he would've picked Luck for all the reasons that have been discussed here for months.

Just my instincts....

#7 The Fish

The Fish
  • 2375 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

I've never heard Polian give his preference to either QB....

His standard line is that "you couldn't go wrong with either one...."

I've also never heard him say what he wanted to do, regarding keeping Manning or cutting him and starting over.

My instincts would be he wanted to cut and start over, but that's more my hunch. The decision looks easier now. The decision had to be made in March. Back in March the easier decision was to set Manning free and start over. I think that's what Polian would have done if given a chance.

Personally, I also suspect he would've picked Luck for all the reasons that have been discussed here for months.

Just my instincts....

I think the decision would be far more difficult today, honestly. Keeping Peyton had it's upside. He's going to go on another SB run, you never know if Luck's future will be like that.
"My cats cat breath smells like cat food"

#8 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4767 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've never heard any hints about which scenario Polian preferred, and I'm not sure that it was even relevant.

It is unlikely that Irsay would doubt Polian's ability to rebuild a team based on his history, but he certainly would have doubted his ability/willingness to see a rebuild through to completion - considering his age and his ongoing slow retreat into the background. Common sense suggests that if one was to continue to push the existing team (ie: Peyton) until they have nothing left, then you'd stick with the architect of that team. If one wanted to break the team up and start over with a new QB, then you find a new GM. The two decisions were very likely inexorably linked, and Polian's preference in the matter likely had nothing to do with it. I'd say that Irsay decided to rebuild with Luck pretty early on, and everything else followed from there. The "drama" prior to the release was likely just Irsay hoping that Peyton would retire so he wouldn't have to experience the public relations nightmare of forcing him out.

#9 ColtStrong

ColtStrong
  • 1360 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Call up Polian on SiriusXM NFL Channel and ask him. That's what that channel is for, us fans to ask questions.

colts_jersey_sig2.png
Bleeding Blue, since '72..........

#10 unitaswestand

unitaswestand
  • 1202 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Saying Polian preferred RG3 is a reach. He never said that. That said, I think judging by Polian's draft history and how long it actually took Manning to recover, I would have expected the same situation. Luck would have been drafted and Manning would have been released.

#11 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Look Lollygager8, BrentMc11, & I debated this question for months on Colts.com. I seriously doubt that Peyton Manning would have remained on the roster even if Bill Polian would have remained intact in INDY. There were too many questions regarding #18's health, recovery, & throwing motion. Peyton was done in Indy. Emotionally, I hated this decision, but logically I can understand & appreciate why the decision to go in a new direction was made. Still part of says that Peyton had more than earned the right to finish his career here without being back into an NFL retirement corner IMO.

Again, this is a pointless argument now. What's done is done. It's like crying over spilled milk...Just find a cat to clean up the mess & move on. Speculation has it's value, but after a certain point; you need to flip the switch & turn the page.

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#12 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

The "drama" prior to the release was likely just Irsay hoping that Peyton would retire so he wouldn't have to experience the public relations nightmare of forcing him out.

Why do so many owners in most professional sports like football, basketball, and baseball believe that beloved fan fare favorite athletes will accept being cut from a team, retire gracefully, and quietly "go gentle into that good night?"

To Peyton's credit, he was a perfect gentlemen despite this whole unsettling episode. Owners can't adore a marquee star's competitive side as a member of that team's roster winning Playoff Games and 1 SB and then expect them to shut off that insatiable drive to compete the minute they get cut. This dutiful and obedient company soldier nonsense is for the birds IMO. Publicly sure, a person can be polite, humble, and even magnanimous in scope and presentation. However privately, if I was a superstar athlete with fire in my belly and tread on my tires, I refuse to backdown for anybody, even a loved and well respect owner across the sports world.

Relentless competitiveness knows no off switch or personality reboot button. A leopard can't change their spots. Caging a beast or an NFL superstar's drive to win is never a good idea IMO.
"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#13 Ohio Colt

Ohio Colt
  • 2239 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Do you guys buy that Irsay wanted Manning to retire? I buy that part of things last year.

#14 HarassedOffTheSite

HarassedOffTheSite
  • 3375 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

My instincts would be he wanted to cut and start over, but that's more my hunch.

Yeah, considering it was Polian holding up the resigning of Manning in the offseason and Irsay had to step in to get it done. But Polian is/was way too smart to ever push eitherway. In a win-win situation (Manning or Luck) just stand back and let the owner make the call....then march from there.

BTW if the Cowboys' or Eagles' ownership had any brains...they'd hire Polian and go on vacation. In three years they'd be knocking on the Super Bowl's door.

* I used to spend a significant amount of time here. But between Nadine's harasment and genral stalkerlike behavior, I decided to roll over to Stampede. Her equally clueless counterpart over there, Brad Wells has departed and so now it will be my Colts home. What a shame. ;)

#15 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Look Lollygager8, BrentMc11, & I debated this question for months on Colts.com. I seriously doubt that Peyton Manning would have remained on the roster even if Bill Polian would have remained intact in INDY. There were too many questions regarding #18's health, recovery, & throwing motion. Peyton was done in Indy. Emotionally, I hated this decision, but logically I can understand & appreciate why the decision to go in a new direction was made. Still part of says that Peyton had more than earned the right to finish his career here without being back into an NFL retirement corner IMO.

Again, this is a pointless argument now. What's done is done. It's like crying over spilled milk...Just find a cat to clean up the mess & move on. Speculation has it's value, but after a certain point; you need to flip the switch & turn the page.

Quoted for truth!!!

Look, we all kind of knew that Peyton was going bye bye, but it still stung when we heard the announcement.

I think Irsay was the one who made the decision of ending the Peyton era, and was going to draft Luck. Not Na'Polian, which I'm sure didn't make Polian happy.

Then with Polian trying to have too much power and handing it over to lil' Chrissy, Irsay said ok enough. It was a good point to start over and go with Grigson (great choice btw). I'll give irsay major credit for making these huge decisions. He has b@lls of steel.

#16 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

BTW if the Cowboys' or Eagles' ownership had any brains...they'd hire Polian and go on vacation. In three years they'd be knocking on the Super Bowl's door.

Ehhhh......Maybe. But only if Bill Na'Polian was actually calling the shots, and lil' Chrissy wasn't part of the equation.

#17 IndyTrav

IndyTrav
  • 2906 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

A Polian thread?!? All right!

*loads up on ammo*

I like to argue. 

#18 throwing BBZ

throwing BBZ
  • 3238 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Polian & Irsay both knew Long Before the 2011 season started they were coming to the end with their weak, CAP Strapped roster.
Even with $tat$ Manning healthy the Colts were headed for his last $20Million Salary years being 2nd to Houston and at best a one and done Wild card team.

A healthy, Legendary Manning would still be here till they had to cut the Hightops off him.

Circumstance took over, and our owner was solid as a Rock.

#19 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quoted for truth!!!

Look, we all kind of knew that Peyton was going bye bye, but it still stung when we heard the announcement.

I think Irsay was the one who made the decision of ending the Peyton era, and was going to draft Luck. Not Na'Polian, which I'm sure didn't make Polian happy.

Then with Polian trying to have too much power and handing it over to lil' Chrissy, Irsay said ok enough. It was a good point to start over and go with Grigson (great choice btw). I'll give irsay major credit for making these huge decisions. He has b@lls of steel.

Exactly Lollygager! It took a truck load of courage to cut Manning loose & Irsay knew there would be some public backlash to deal with. Surprisingly though, not that much outrage bubbled to the forefront largely because Peyton was so humble and forgiving of Irsay. #18 could have roasted Jim over hot coals if he really wanted to, but that's not his style. Peyton was thinking about his love for the city of Indianapolis, her loyal fans, & his next PR move. Always be on your best behavior for your new owner, new GM, & new city even if you have no idea who that NFL owner is yet. Like a Russian chess master, Manning was always thinking 5 moves ahead.

Ah Chris Polian, is that...choose your words carefully here...Is that INDY GM saboteur still scouting for Atlanta yet? Goodbye & good riddance sir. Just please stay away from both Indy's area code & zip code. Thank you.

At least, Ryan Grigson appears to know what in the heck he is doing and HC Pagano is a true motivator & leader of men. Thank God. This franchise is definitely headed in the right direction with the arrow firmly pointed up. :thmup: :blueshoe:

#20 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Brian,

A nice post here, but if I am Jerry Jones or Jeffrey Lurie, I only sign Bill Polian if his son stays in Atlanta...No, family nepotism or rapid management promotions based on my father's last name & NFL executive coat tails under any circumstances period. Thank you. Chris Polian is like the Ukrainian Chernobyl disaster in 1986...Radioactive GM contamination should prevent Chris Polian from ever being put in charge of any NFL team's collective future ever again IMHO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Chernobyl Disaster < Chris Disaster

#22 Superman

Superman
  • Forum Moderator
  • 16089 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Do you guys buy that Irsay wanted Manning to retire? I buy that part of things last year.

That would have made things much easier for Irsay, not only for his decision making process, but also so that fans wouldn't be second guessing the decision for years to come.
LET'S HUNT

#23 buccolts

buccolts
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

That would have made things much easier for Irsay.

That would have made things much easier for me also.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely *ic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

#24 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6087 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

i have inside info that polian want to rebuild the team around curtis painter

#25 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Chernobyl Disaster < Chris Disaster

haha I ran out of likes Lollygager. Here are 5 thumbs up for you. :thmup: :thmup: :thmup: :thmup: :thmup:

Whenever a situation is about to explode, the bottom is about to fall out, or go code nuclear CODE RED...I think I will say "Holy Bleep! Let's make like a shepard & get the flock outta here before this entire place goes Chris Polian!" KA Boom!

Hey sometimes, the situation is what it is man. No pretty Christmas bow is gonna make that chilling nightmare disappear plain and simple.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 BLOODontheTRACKS

BLOODontheTRACKS
  • 9344 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

the fact the polian supposedly allowed his kid to make draft picks while he peyton manning on the team would make me think twice about ever hiring that guy again. plus, he said the browns trading up for trent richardson was a great move....

#27 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13391 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

i have inside info that polian want to rebuild the team around curtis painter

Yeah shakedownstreet, call it the Golden Locks Dream Team! :funny: haha :lol: Oh, you wanna win...Sorry, interception boy can't help your NFL squad there. Even Christmas miracles have their limit I'm afraid...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6087 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

looks like marsha brady after getting hooked on meth

#29 chad72

chad72
  • 9242 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

looks like marsha brady after getting hooked on meth

We should be indebted to Curtis Painter for a long time. Without him, we dont have Luck. :)

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      16 Sep
    BrentMc11

If I see another hate thread I am going to blow. When I do it is not gonna be pretty. I think we all knew we were not going 19-0...Superbowl. Think NY Giants when they went into the playoffs 9-7 and won the Lombardi!!! We will win at least 11 games. CALM DOWN!

Show comments (4)
View All Updates