Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae arrives in Indy!

BProland85

Pagano said he scouted him in college and loved him. and Pagano said that the defense he ran the past 3 years in Miami is similar to what he will run here. terminology and philosophy are somewhat the same so the transition for him should be smooth and might be on the field against the Bengals if they got him on the practice field soon enough

He seems a bit giddy in the interview. So maybe he is just relieved to be out of that mess in Miami. I can't imagine have that kind of talent, and being in an organization that is NOT commited to putting a winning product on the field. He is young, and the Colts I think have done a good job of having quality PEOPLE in their personnel. So maybe Vontae has a chance to just go play some ball, and maybe he has some good people around him to help keep him even keeled. He appears to me to be a competitor, and how deflating wouldl it be to be on a team that is not putting a competitive product on the field. I like this acquisition, and am eager to see this young fellow help our team. I sure do like being a Colt fan! :D

- Eric

i just hope reggie wayne teaches this guy how to catch cuz thats the one knock i have on davis is his lack of ball skills... but love his size and physicallity, greg and pagano can definetly use that

I didn't realize Davis was a wide receiver.

Great quote from Chuck Pagano on Vontae Davis,

"I asked Pagano how concerned he was about Davis’ past indiscretions when the Colts were pursuing this trade.

“Not at all,” Pagano said. “When he came out early, he was only 20; now he’s 24. He’s very, very young. If I think back to when I was 20, 21, 22, some of the things I did, I was just glad it didn’t make the papers. When we sat down and visited (Monday morning), one of the first things he did was ask me about Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. When he asked about those two, I knew, looking into his eyes, he’s very serious about being something special.”

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120827/SPORTS15/120827032/Bob-Kravitz-Vontae-Davis-risk-Colts-needed-take?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

I don't think you can trust highlights to tell you too much about a player... They're called HIGHlights for a good reason.

It's doubtful anyone felt inspired enough to put together a vid of Vontae's worst drops.

Who's to say he dropped any? Remember, he got moved to Nickel CB? And the way I see it, the Dolphins aren't good so I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one dropping footballs. Vontae can catch, I've watched him play & know how he plays. There's a reason why he's considered a top 5-10 CB in the NFL. You don't get to that point if you can't "catch"

Who's to say he dropped any? Remember, he got moved to Nickel CB? And the way I see it, the Dolphins aren't good so I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one dropping footballs. Vontae can catch, I've watched him play & know how he plays. There's a reason why he's considered a top 5-10 CB in the NFL. You don't get to that point if you can't "catch"

I don't know if or how many he's dropped, but a highlight vid won't change my mind. It's usually the very best version of that player and not a fair representation. That's all.

He can make 5 amazing catches and drop 5 sure ints and that would make people question his hands. Or a player can drop one in a critical spot and fans never, ever forget about it... (Colts fans know a thing or two about this.) So I'm not sure if the criticism is valid, but I'm glad someone on here has watched Dolphins games. I don't trust Dolphins fans opinions on him right now...

I don't know if or how many he's dropped, but a highlight vid won't change my mind. It's usually the very best version of that player and not a fair representation. That's all.

He can make 5 amazing catches and drop 5 sure ints and that would make people question his hands. Or a player can drop one in a critical spot and fans never, ever forget about it... (Colts fans know a thing or two about this.) So I'm not sure if the criticism is valid, but I'm glad someone on here has watched Dolphins games. I don't trust Dolphins fans opinions on him right now...

Well, I can't tell you he'll never drop a INT.... cause everyone drops passes at some point. But his hands are good. Like you said, you don't trust a highlight vid. So all I can tell you is, you're in for a treat this year when you watch our games. He's a good CB, not saying he's GREAT... but he's an Upgrade to our secondary

Well, I can't tell you he'll never drop a INT.... cause everyone drops passes at some point. But his hands are good. Like you said, you don't trust a highlight vid. So all I can tell you is, you're in for a treat this year when you watch our games. He's a good CB, not saying he's GREAT... but he's an Upgrade to our secondary

Alright then. Thanks! I remember Redskins fans moaning about Carlos Rogers having stone hands. Can't catch, blah, blah... and then the Niners got him and he racked up 6 picks, caught absolutely everything, played like a demon and made the probowl. And they still mad. Lol.

Alright then. Thanks! I remember Redskins fans moaning about Carlos Rogers having stone hands. Can't catch, blah, blah... and then the Niners got him and he racked up 6 picks, caught absolutely everything, played like a demon and made the probowl. And they still mad. Lol.

That's just a similar case like Vontae. You take a player from a struggling team to a team on the rise... and boom! He shines. A player is only as Good as the players around him IMO

Welcome to Indy, Vontae. Just work hard to learn the playbook and please dont be out grindin at 2 am. You are a big time play maker and our GM and coach are the stuff for hooking you up.

I would be guessing but I dont think Polian would have drafted him in the first place, let alone trade for him. That is a big difference in our new front office.