Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians' play calling?

HarassedOffTheSite

The initial excuse was it is preseason. That didnt float. Then it was we're calling conservative in order not to show all our cards....Arians himself refuted that. Now it is we're not that good and therefore it is unreasonable to point out the playcalling on the 1st two possessions was HORRIBLE?

Got it. ;)

Anyway...

You can always logoff if enduring legitimate fan observations is gonna be too much for you.

I see. You're a legit fan and I'm not now, is that it? Give me a break.

The "excuses" you list weren't mine. The team isn't going to be that good this year. It's OK.

Beyond that, all I've suggested is that it's OK to relax. There will be plenty to bash all year, getting in front of it does not make you some kind of an expert. Just a griper.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some designed rollouts. Haven't seen one in three games. Luck certainly has the wheels for it.

You're not keeping a clean pocket. Luck took more hits today than Manning did in a year.

I thought we'd see some rollouts. We have the players for it; speed at WR, decent TEs, a mobile QB. Houston gashes us with those all the time.

I'd like to see some designed rollouts. Haven't seen one in three games. Luck certainly has the wheels for it.

You're not keeping a clean pocket. Luck took more hits today than Manning did in a year.

Second play of the game against the Steelers was a rollout. They did it again later on, and Luck got sacked.

Steeler fans really soured on Arians and said it would be a matter of time before he drove Colts fans insane as well. Maybe it's happening already? lol Personally, I need to see alot more evidence before I am willing to throw him to the wolves. Today, our offense looked very conservative and pedestrian. Against the Rams and Steelers we looked like world beaters. So lets just see what the regular season actually brings before reading too much into things either way.

Umm, you guys do realize that no matter what play you call, if your O-Line isn't gonna do anything............ EVERY Play will be Shut Down!!!!!

Stop blaming Arians for the O-Lines mistakes. You can put any QB behind our line & watch them Fail. All a Coach can do is call the play, it's up to the players to Execute

One thing that can't be ignored, is that even this was the 3rd preseason game which is supposed to be the "dress rehearsal".

It looked like early on they were consciously trying to get the ball to Avery since he missed some time just to get him some work, so I'm not sure how much this "game plan", will look compared to an actual game.

I'm not the biggest Arians fan but I'm not going to condemn him over preseason play calling.

come on guys, i know its been said but it is just preseason. its like everyone forgets what preseason is every year, its like this big surprise. just like playoff time is completely different to regular season for whatever reason, preseason is comeplety different to the regular season, glorified practice really. And arians isnt stupid, hes a very bright offensive mind and he been to a couple superbowls if i remember correctly... so chill out stop nitpicking

LOL at this thread. Third preseason game and Arians is already being thrown under the bus by some. Poor play calling or poor execution? Take your pick, but either way, you can pin it on Arians if you like. Or is it Pagano's fault? Grigson and picking up plugs? Lot's of choices.

LOL at this thread. Third preseason game and Arians is already being thrown under the bus by some. Poor play calling or poor execution? Take your pick, but either way, you can pin it on Arians if you like. Or is it Pagano's fault? Grigson and picking up plugs? Lot's of choices.

Our offense was incredibly simple when Peyton was here. Everyone knew what we were going to do but we just out executed them. I don't care if we call the play out at the line we should still be able to do better than what we did. We just got man-handled, outplayed, out-hustled whatever you want to call it. It isn't the plays....its the players my friend. Arians ran this offense with great success his first time here...and in Pittsburgh...and in two preseason games too. Tonight our guys didn't show up with their A-game...for whatever reason they didn't execute. I'm sorry but for me great execution always trumps talent or personnel. Its why teams you can see avg skilled teams compete or even win against much better competition. It wasn't the play calls...it was the lack of execution. Personally I thought it started in the trenches...at the point of attack....90% of games you lose in the trenches you lose the game. It won't matter what play you call...if we aren't executing...no play is going to work.

I honestly don't see how any of you can sit here & blame Arians. It just blows over my head.

How do you blame a coach when the 5 people in front of your QB.... is getting smacked around like he stole something. Tom Brady would've had the same game Luck did. (Actually he had a similar game against TB the other day cause his offense was bad)

So point proven. Once again, no matter what play you call........your o-line doesn't block.... you don't move the ball efficiently

Based on this and previous games during this preseason the Colts offense will....we don't know. Just look around the league, teams are vanilla on offense and defense even for this 3rd so called dress rehearsal game. I believe we are holding back a big chunk of the plays that we will use in the regular season. Notice how we did not try any deep throws to Avery or puy in any special packages on offens and defense. I am eager to see what we do come September 9th.

Based on this and previous games during this preseason the Colts offense will....we don't know. Just look around the league, teams are vanilla on offense and defense even for this 3rd so called dress rehearsal game. I believe we are holding back a big chunk of the plays that we will use in the regular season. Notice how we did not try any deep throws to Avery or puy in any special packages on offens and defense. I am eager to see what we do come September 9th.

Ehhh maybe you're right.

Eitherway, I take solace in knowing that eventually Andrew will be doing most of the play calling.

Haven't read everyone's posts but I'd wager nobody has "condemned" the Man. Just pointed out some very poor play calling.

Didn't you say he has no balls, or something like that?

I didn't like the playcalling today, but it really seemed like the objective was to get the run game going. Shame that it failed, but I really don't think Arians playcalling was indicative of the way he would gameplan any given week. I know the third game is usually treated something like a regular season game, but I don't think Arians would have been as stubborn and unimaginative as he was if it were a real game.

Probably.

I don't wanna get all spiritually on ya here but sending a man to h*ll is prolly a bit worse.

Well you're definitely getting literal.

I think the point is that we're being awfully critical of playcalling in the preseason. Like I said, I kind of agree with the criticism, I just don't think the playcalling was indicative of the way Arians would call a real game. I certainly hope not.

i'd like to see what the O looks like when it counts...i like the personnel and different looks wishbone set, triple TE set, 4 wide, 5 wide, pro-sets, more motion than fans have seen in years...i think once it really gel's it should be fun. I think TY could be the key if he's not in a press situation he looks like he can run by anyone in the league. I think why i love football so much is that its truly a team sport...if one person misses an assignment collectively the group or unit will look bad. How do you make sure that assignments aren't missed? Practice and execution...at times when the offense did get the ball moving there was a penalty or a lapse in protection or just poor communication. This is going to happen with a young team until some sort of continuity is formed.

On a side note i thought that the officiating was very inconsistent...the replacement ref experiment hasn't been fun to watch.

I think the point is that we're being awfully critical of playcalling in the preseason. Like I said, I kind of agree with the criticism, I just don't think the playcalling was indicative of the way Arians would call a real game. I certainly hope not.

I pray not. Regardless, Luck is probably light years ahead of Arians in the brains dept. So eventually he'll have it all down & start calling his own plays. All that said....I wish we'd have brought back Moore. ;/

Now, now. Apparently this is a t£sticle free zone. We don't want to be harsh. Only positive thoughts here or you're obviously a troll. BTW look under your seat. Everybody is getting a free copy of Curtis Painter's New Book "Yeah I Stunk, But You Can't Say That".

Yeah, there are some around here who would die in the name of defending Painter...

Steeler fans really soured on Arians and said it would be a matter of time before he drove Colts fans insane as well.

I'll not say I haven't considered this. I mean Pittsburgh fans were happy to see him go. Any time the majority of a fan base is happy to see a coach go, you gotta kinda wonder why...

Same thing happened with larry coyer when he and caldwell begain their reign of terror. I specifically remember Broncos fans saying "At first he did really good, but as time went on it just got progressivley worse, and we're really glad he's gone now."

And sure enough at first it was really cool, our defense looked better, and then it started to get bad. Real bad.

I pray not. Regardless, Luck is probably light years ahead of Arians in the brains dept. So eventually he'll have it all down & start calling his own plays. All that said....I wish we'd have brought back Moore. ;/

Nothing but respect for Tom Moore, but eventually we have to let the guy retire. He's 73 years old already.

What amazed me is about the game is that the offensive line looked completely opposite of the last two games. Granted it seemed like they were trying to establish the run alot more this game but if it isn't working you gotta try something new.

Whether it was bad play calling or the oline is up for debate.

All I know is that line is gonna get their butts reamed come film session time. If that line doesn't play any better than that Luck is gonna be looking up from the flat of his back way too much this season.

It's always" the sky is falling" around here after a loss though. Somebody always gotta point a finger at someone. Cant we critique without coming out with the tar and feathers.

Like another poster said chill out, its a 16 game season (which hasn't even begun yet) and there are gonna be really good games (Rams, Pitt) and some really bad ones.

Where is the Chicken Little emticon when you need it!

Look I don't know what all the plays were called but I know none of them were "Olsen let your guy go right back and nail Luck in the chest" and that's what the problem was today. They could have called the best plays in the world it doesn't matter if the guys in front don't block to let the play develop.

I'll not say I haven't considered this. I mean Pittsburgh fans were happy to see him go. Any time the majority of a fan base is happy to see a coach go, you gotta kinda wonder why...

Same thing happened with larry coyer when he and caldwell begain their reign of terror. I specifically remember Broncos fans saying "At first he did really good, but as time went on it just got progressivley worse, and we're really glad he's gone now."

And sure enough at first it was really cool, our defense looked better, and then it started to get bad. Real bad.

Yeah Waylon I'm feelin you on that man. I remember that too and it was why I never really felt excited about Coyer. But even then it took some time at least a year before those fears were confirmed on the field. The criticisms of Arians may all be true but we can't assume so after one pre-season game albeit the most important one. The offense may seem simplified and conservative now but how much of that is due to Arians trying to get Luck comfortable and acclimated in his first year? Or maybe he knows how weak our Oline is so he is having Luck to get the ball out of his hands quickly to keep him alive! For now, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will have Luck open things up eventually. But if this continues on into next season then I think we will have reason to worry.

His Play calling is what upset Steeler Fans so much. Think he has a bubble screen designed for almost every drive half the time. Just remember with Fleener Arians is known for not throwing to his tightends so much when the team has a bad o-line. Look at Heath Miller, hes a really good receiver but stays in so much to block because of the poor O-Line, this may be whats happening sometimes as well. Or as others have mentioned we are probally hiding at least 40% of our playbook for the regular season. Everything is vanilla right now. Teams just want to work on what they want and try to see what they have in back ups/ the whole team in our case.