Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you have a problem with Jim Irsay and his tweeting?

StewieG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm personally getting sick of this conventional group think that says Irsay is a derp for tweeting, as if it's a big deal. Get over it. The complaining about Irsay is far more in my face than anything he does.

Post of the offseason. Well said and I agree 100%.

i think its nice to see an owner thats involved and cares about the state of his franchise...since it appears that some of the owners don't. I'm not an owner but perception is reality. Do i scratch my head? yeah...do i always know what he's referring to? no. But he's the owner and this is his team.

Look, I have no secret of the fact that I am not blown away by the medium of Twitter. In fact, I detest it. Like MIColtsFan mentioned, often the information is cryptic and I don't want to try to dissect abbreviations like Egyptian hieroglyphics. I have more efficient methods of wasting my time that are much more enthralling, entertaining, and enticing.

As I recall, Superman and I had a nice dialog and debate on this topic. Our overall conclusion: Owner Jim Irsay has every right to generate fan interest and promote the team anyway he deems fit. What's my bone of contention then and why do I deem this medium the bane of my existence then? A fair question to ask.

#1: I didn't grow up with it. I remember a world with black & white T.V.s in it, cassette tapes, VCR's, and typewriters. There were no remote controls except kids "Hey get up and change the channel." Computers existed, but they were heavy, big, and not every home owned a razor thin lap top. If you wanted to find out something, you went to the library and did research with newspapers, books, and primary and secondary scholarly materials. There was no instantaneous gratification at a person's fingertips via fiber optic connections, the internet, and a google search. Speed gives people the illusion of reliability and credibility and it diminishes critical thinking and authentic source verification skills.

#2: I am well aware of the irony that I am typing you this response on a computer and I will readily admit that getting a like or instant like from a fellow blogger is cool and a source of addictive gratification that perks up my day. I won't lie. 100 years from now no NFL journalist is going to refer to a Jim Irsay tweet to discuss an Andrew Luck and Co. Superbowl victory. Twitter is not a scholarly medium that will be used by professors in a court of law to win a lawsuit or lucrative cash settlement. It's value to society is minor in scope beyond serving as an online tool or vessel to connect a person to other more credible sources.

#3: Twitter due to it's 140 character limit and therefore heavy reliance on abbreviated words diminishes the use of proper grammar, a central thesis, topic sentences, vital debate skills where you defend your position through accumulated evidence, thorough research, and insightful interactions with an audience. It feeds into the lack of critical thinking skills once again.

#4: Will Irsay ever be able to say that he landed a top player in INDY exclusively as a direct result of a fantastic twitter page? Nope.

I do have a problem with it. Not so much that he tweets, but how he tweets. Most of the time he types like a 13 year old girl texting...

I've just always figured we have the only owner in the NFL sitting in his office with his feet up the desk holding a big ol' doobie in his non-texting hand. :banana:

I can appreciate Irsay's fan like enthusiasm but at the same time you gotta keep it professional. Grigs is probably in a closed room trying to negotiate an awesome deal while maintaining a poker face in the process and here goes our resident lovable Willy Wonka tweeting his excitement over this potential deal with a million exclaimation points. I wonder what Grigs is thinking? He's gotta be like calm down dude, you're freakin killin me in here! lmao

Irsay has definitely taken a higher profile this offseason with all the Manning post season drama and he has maintained this heightened presence into the post-Manning era. Irsay may come off as a bit looney at times but he is still an astute business man. He knows that the excitement surrounding this franchise took a hit with Peyton's departure. So I see his excessive tweeting as him attempting to drum up some excitement about the new Colts era. He is trying to show fans that he is excited about the future so that fans will get excited. There is a buzz around this franchise again and Irsay is just trying to keep it going in his own way.

I look at twitter kind of like texting while driving - it might cause me to crash my computer :spit: But seriously, with e-mail, face book, twitter and texting there is to much crap to keep track of these days. It takes to much time away from conversing with all of you interesting people :D

This should be turned into a poll. But yes I have a problem with it. He acts like a 5-yr child playing a video game.

I agree 100% JustAColtsFan & Jay. I really enjoy the fans insights on this site and I would curious to see how many people have a problem with an NFL owner on Twitter so much. Jim, is this a business or popularity contest? Does he have every right to engage in this Medium? Yes. Does he have more pressing needs to attend too? I should sincerely hope so.

As some people here I also don't have a problem with Irsay's tweeting. Why should I? It's another human's personal freedom.

That being said I am not sure tweeting about his team's potential trade doesn't jeopardize that trade. I guess we can see if that was the case after the trade goes through if it does.

Irsay is indeed an eccentric man but he doesn't seem to be out of control and mess up his business. He seems to have a talent for hiring

competent people (GMs, coaches) to take care of the serious part of the business. I think this is all that should matter for the fans, to enjoy a successful Colts franchise fun to root for.

Other NFL team execs say Irsay tweets are hurting his team.

Jim Irsay tweeted this week about an impending trade involving his team. The Twitterverse went spastic and the guessing game was afoot. Then, there was no trade and Irsay basically said, "My bad!" He later tweeted something far more vague about a possible trade and monitoring of the waiver wire.

Irsay, to me, is fun. But to others in the NFL he's not so amusing.

http://www.cbssports...urting-his-team

Edited by Nadine
do not post entire articles

I agree 100% JustAColtsFan & Jay. I really enjoy the fans insights on this site and I would curious to see how many people have a problem with an NFL owner on Twitter so much. Jim, is this a business or popularity contest? Does he have every right to engage in this Medium? Yes. Does he have more pressing needs to attend too? I should sincerely hope so.

I know some people feel that he cannot possible attend to his ownership properly if he is using social media. I disagree. Obviously people all over the world and in all walks of life use social media everyday and still are able to manage their lives.

I think people who don't like that he uses twitter............are people who don't use twitter themselves

That's fine. But for me..........passing judgement on someone for using twitter is no different than passing judgement on someone for not using twitter.

If he were passing out national secrets, that would be a cause for concern. But he's talking to fans and that's his business.

I have never liked his tweets simply because it seems like he is the only one in the NFL as far as owners who look to bring attention to thereselves. I kind of like the under the radar person, team. Plus, it seems the media has started to rip him, or at least they seem to make fun of him, for some of his tweets. I know it should not bother me, but I just don't like aspersions cast on the Colts. Now I read this on Sportsline, and it kind of encompassed how I felt, although I do not agree with some of there assertions, especially about driving up the price of trades. The others, you can make your own mind up!

Other NFL team execs say Irsay tweets are hurting his team

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/19899546/team-execs-say-irsay-tweets-are-hurting-his-team

To all those who can't stand Mr. Irsay tweeting...

Jim Irsay is ahead of the curve. Most owners do not tweet. He is putting himself out there to help market "our" team! As long as he is not giving away pertinent information then no harm is done. If there is no harm done and he is merely marketing the team, there is no reason to hate his tweets. Social marketing is the now and the future! Irsay understands this and I support him fully. Either you support it or you don't fully understand it. But you will.

This should be turned into a poll. But yes I have a problem with it. He acts like a 5-yr child playing a video game.

He may tweet some weird things at times, but who really cares if he acts like a 5 year old? If he helps build a great team here (technically he already has) who cares? Hes earned his right to sound silly on his tweets. Hes a millionaire and I'm sure he could care less if we like how he tweets or not.

Double.....Post on 2: Might as well Tweet it.....Luck to Lavon Brazill....TD Colts.....Oh sorry...thought you meant the Double Post route :)

Ha, that works too! With all this trade talk I'm surprised people still remember we even have a game today.

I have never liked his tweets simply because it seems like he is the only one in the NFL as far as owners who look to bring attention to thereselves. I kind of like the under the radar person, team. Plus, it seems the media has started to rip him, or at least they seem to make fun of him, for some of his tweets. I know it should not bother me, but I just don't like aspersions cast on the Colts. Now I read this on Sportsline, and it kind of encompassed how I felt, although I do not agree with some of there assertions, especially about driving up the price of trades. The others, you can make your own mind up!

Other NFL team execs say Irsay tweets are hurting his team

http://www.cbssports...urting-his-team

Team executives also say there is worry among some teams that if they try to deal with the Colts, their negotiations with the team may end up on Irsay's twitter feed. So they might bypass the Colts.

I made a joke about this in the trade thread. Guess some actually think this way.

I know some people feel that he cannot possible attend to his ownership properly if he is using social media. I disagree. Obviously people all over the world and in all walks of life use social media everyday and still are able to manage their lives.

I think people who don't like that he uses twitter............are people who don't use twitter themselves

That's fine. But for me..........passing judgement on someone for using twitter is no different than passing judgement on someone for not using twitter.

If he were passing out national secrets, that would be a cause for concern. But he's talking to fans and that's his business.

I can't argue with that point Nadine because, as I already stated in a previous post, I didn't grow up with this technology myself. Frequency of use is my question, not permission to use this medium overall, which Mr. Irsay has a right to engage in. Could the volume of said tweets distract the owner from more pressing matters, which might compromise his judgement regarding a trade, roster cut, or contract negotiation move? I suppose a person could make the argument that's why he hired GM Ryan Grigson to make these calls, but Mr. Irsay, the owner, will always have the final say on how much he opens up his checkbook for and he could easily overrule his GM's suggestion or sentiment. "Paying the cost to be the boss." I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I just know where the buck literally stops in the real world that's all.

Preach lol

I can't argue with that point Nadine because, as I already stated in a previous post, I didn't grow up with this technology myself. Frequency of use is my question, not permission to use this medium overall, which Mr. Irsay has a right to engage in. Could the volume of said tweets distract the owner from more pressing matters, which might compromise his judgement regarding a trade, roster cut, or contract negotiation move? I suppose a person could make the argument that's why he hired GM Ryan Grigson to make these calls, but Mr. Irsay, the owner, will always have the final say on how much he opens up his checkbook for and he could easily overrule his GM's suggestion or sentiment. "Paying the cost to be the boss." I'm not trying to stir the pot here, I just know where the buck literally stops in the real world that's all.

I know I posted "I am over the tweets", but as Superman noted I want my trade secrets in house....GMs get wind that we are willing to give a high pick....

Other than that....we have found that social media is incredible, and it is nice that Mike Chappell tweets good stuff....and reliable info...that is when I like it....plus when experts such as Rob Lowe and Rosanne tweet....just sayin :)

Edited by BrentMc11

Frequency of use is my question, not permission to use this medium overall, which Mr. Irsay has a right to engage in. Could the volume of said tweets distract the owner from more pressing matters,

This kind of either/or reasoning bothers me. It's as if you're saying Irsay cannot use Twitter and discharge his responsibilities as a business man. Do you know how long it takes to send a tweet? I'm sure businessmen of Irsay's stature have 30-60 seconds to spare every once in a while.

To all those who can't stand Mr. Irsay tweeting...

Jim Irsay is ahead of the curve. Most owners do not tweet. He is putting himself out there to help market "our" team! As long as he is not giving away pertinent information then no harm is done. If there is no harm done and he is merely marketing the team, there is no reason to hate his tweets. Social marketing is the now and the future! Irsay understands this and I support him fully. Either you support it or you don't fully understand it. But you will.

Agree with all over the above.

I love it!!! He's crazy like me!!!!! Same first name also, Something crazy about them Jim's I'd say??????

I do too. I know that there's a lot of garbage on twitter. But, I think the challenge to post small......generates some real creativity. I don't follow anything that doesn't make me smile most of the time.

I like short, sweet, funny, witty.......and even a little bit strange. But that's me

This kind of either/or reasoning bothers me. It's as if you're saying Irsay cannot use Twitter and discharge his responsibilities as a business man. Do you know how long it takes to send a tweet? I'm sure businessmen of Irsay's stature have 30-60 seconds to spare every once in a while.

A fair question to ask Superman. In my original reply to the question about conducting a poll to see where fans stand regarding Mr. Irsay's use of Twitter, I wasn't trying to establish a tone of an owner vs fans or I'm right and your wrong mindset, but at what point does team promotion blur the line with self promotion? Yes, Mr. Irsay owns the team and yes he has a right to promote his product: the Indianapolis Colts.

From my perspective and perhaps I am in the minority on this one, owners are not in the forefront. They blend in with the background behind closed doors. They hire professionals to handle website, twitter, and all online aspects of team publicity. Oh sure, owners can attend team functions and participate with fan interactions throughout the community, but any online media empire needs for a franchise are handled by metadata experts in house with your legal representation always on speed dial. No NFL owner in all 32 organizations can be given free reign over their cyberspace promotion of their team without any oversight, aid, and tutelage IMO. Safeguards need to be established first. No, I do not believe that Mr. Irsay would intentionally tarnish the Colts franchise in any way, shape, or form. But, I doubt that Mr. Irsay is well versed in liable, slander, or copyright law either. My point is clearly defined boundaries must be set and it is not an owner's job to serve as the NFL franchise figurehead. Again, this is just my own personal opinion. Others can certainly differ with my point of view as they see fit.

ESPN changes the way sports are viewed and talked about. They made the game a social experience. Now it is not just the play on the field, its the play off the field. Hating or loving his tweets are just fans getting acught up in the social side of the sport.

Not unlike following a tray publication about actors outside of thier making of movies.

A fair question to ask Superman. In my original reply to the question about conducting a poll to see where fans stand regarding Mr. Irsay's use of Twitter, I wasn't trying to establish a tone of an owner vs fans or I'm right and your wrong mindset, but at what point does team promotion blur the line with self promotion? Yes, Mr. Irsay owns the team and yes he has a right to promote his product: the Indianapolis Colts.

From my perspective and perhaps I am in the minority on this one, owners are not in the forefront. They blend in with the background behind closed doors. They hire professionals to handle website, twitter, and all online aspects of team publicity. Oh sure, owners can attend team functions and participate with fan interactions throughout the community, but any online media empire needs for a franchise are handled by metadata experts in house with your legal representation always on speed dial. No NFL owner in all 32 organizations can be given free reign over their cyberspace promotion of their team without any oversight, aid, and tutelage IMO. Safeguards need to be established first. No, I do not believe that Mr. Irsay would intentionally tarnish the Colts franchise in any way, shape, or form. But, I doubt that Mr. Irsay is well versed in liable, slander, or copyright law either. My point is clearly defined boundaries must be set and it is not an owner's job to serve as the NFL franchise figurehead. Again, this is just my own personal opinion. Others can certainly differ with my point of view as they see fit.

I think it's up to the owner what they want to do. It's their team. I get that owners don't coach or GM but social media......I do not think that Irsay is on twitter to promote. he's there to have fun with the fans. And I think having fun with the fans is a fine thing for any fan.....which he also is.

I think, as much as you would prefer that he fit into a more traditional 'owner' role...........I enjoy that he's redefining it

ESPN changes the way sports are viewed and talked about. They made the game a social experience. Now it is not just the play on the field, its the play off the field. Hating or loving his tweets are just fans getting acught up in the social side of the sport.

Not unlike following a tray publication about actors outside of thier making of movies.

I agree 100% Warhorse. Social media can indeed enhance the fan's interaction with their favorite team and learn more about their favorite players.

However, I remember when Rich Eisen and the NFL Network first started, a popular show on that very network is "NFL Total Access." This show takes a fan behind the scenes with coaches, schemes, rule changes, and players not necessarily owners themselves. True, the owners played a crucial in the CBA negotiations recently, but only in the fan context of getting back on the football field to play games in the regular season for the next decade.

My point is the vast majority of behind closed doors access shows are geared toward a fan's favorite NFL player not their favorite NFL owner. There are vocal owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder I suppose, but players perform on the field and win or lose Championships not owners.

If the concern is self-promotion, I think maybe that's independent of Twitter. If Twitter is the medium being used for self-promotion, then perhaps you would feel the same about Irsay writing a blog or being involved in other activities that are more about him than about the team.

I personally don't think that a team owner has to blur into the background. In fact, many pro sports team owners are involved in several different pursuits. They wear different hats. Magic Johnson is part owner of the Dodgers; should he not work as an NBA analyst anymore? Mark Cuban is involved in several activities aside from running the Mavericks, including running a TV show. He was also on Dancing with the Stars. Did that take away from his team's ability to win a championship?

This is what I mean about the either/or mentality. The team will survive without every decision Irsay makes having to do with the Colts. The team can run smoothly without Irsay hiding under a rock somewhere.

In this case, I think Irsay made a mistake. He shouldn't have mentioned a potential trade on Twitter. But it's not about Twitter to me. He shouldn't have mentioned it at all, not until it was done. Had he announced the trade after it was done, using Twitter or any other social media outlet, or using a sky writer, I don't care. But saying that you're working on deal can undermine your negotiations, and even kill the deal under consideration. No upside. But again, that's not a Twitter issue. That's a "keep your mouth shut" issue.