Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

1959Colts

After reading this article from the Miami Herold I am not sure Davis is the guy I want?

http://miamiherald.t...rade-block.html

he lost his starting job to Richard Marshall this training camp when he came to camp overweight and out of shape. Davis is back in shape now, but he has still not been able to regain his starting job. And, if you have any memory, you know Davis has a history for being suspended -- having suffered that fate once last year when he showed up late and hung over to a practice after a night of drinking and also in 2010 when he was similarly kept out of the starting lineup but got into the game in the second quarter for breaking a team rule.

Aside from that, it must be said, Davis is not a star. He's a roller coaster -- sometimes very good, sometimes bad. He averages three interceptions and 10 passes defensed per season.

After reading this article from the Miami Herold I am not sure Davis is the guy I want?

he lost his starting job to Richard Marshall this training camp when he came to camp overweight and out of shape. Davis is back in shape now, but he has still not been able to regain his starting job. And, if you have any memory, you know Davis has a history for being suspended -- having suffered that fate once last year when he showed up late and hung over to a practice after a night of drinking and also in 2010 when he was similarly kept out of the starting lineup but got into the game in the second quarter for breaking a team rule.

Aside from that, it must be said, Davis is not a star. He's a roller coaster -- sometimes very good, sometimes bad. He averages three interceptions and 10 passes defensed per season.

Hmmm i've read that he was demoted because of his behavior, and if the Fins want the best players on the field, he will be a week 1 starter.

Rotoworld:

Vontae Davis was listed as a second-team cornerback on the Dolphins' first preseason depth chart Monday.

The new coaching staff is trying to send Davis a message. Supremely talented but maddeningly inconsistent, Davis is listed behind offseason pickup Richard Marshall. Davis will regain the starting left corner job before Week 1 if the Fins want to field their four best DBs, but he's going to have to earn it back

Is this guy serious? A 2nd rder. plus Fleener or Hilton???? This guy must be hitting the drugs that constantly flow in from Cuba. I know it was just his speculation, but come on. Davis isn't worth that, he's barely worth a 2nd alone IMO.

I don't see the Colts trading away any current draft pick. They drafted these guys for a reason, and they're Pagano/Grigson's guys, not Polians.

That guy is smoking some mighty fine stuff. Or he's just an *. ;)

I do not want Davis......I am all for mean streaks on the field...but off the field I do not need it...especially if we give up a Fleener or a Hilton.....or a high draft pick......I hope this does not happen...

I do not want Davis......I am all for mean streaks on the field...but off the field I do not need it...especially if we give up a Fleener or a Hilton.....or a high draft pick......I hope this does not happen...

I wouldn't worry to much about it. We may trade for Davis, but I would bet money were not trading Fleener or Hilton.

You know me Balzer....I am wound real tight. :)......I do not want to give a high pick either....

Yeah, im not sure this deal would fit the criteria that Irsay has laid out. It don't seem like that big of a deal IMO. Davis would be an upgrade to our CB's, but thats not really saying much.

Anyone watch Hard Knocks? Davis's voice is like a chipmunk's. Think Chris Tucker type high voice. We don't need that on our team.

I am not saying he should or should not be on the Colts, but why does his voice matter? Revis could sound like a 4 yr old girl and be as smart as my dog (not saying he is either) and I would care less as long as he plays like he does.

In that Peter King MMQB article a few weeks ago, King wrote a bit about Polian and Vontae Davis was one of the topics of discussion:

The respect that Polian has around the NFL is evident by the revealing answers he solicited from our guests. One particularly thoughtful exchange came between Polian and Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland after both watched last Tuesday's practice. Polian told Ireland that cornerback Vontae Davis "jumps out at you with his feet and hip movement" and "should be a big-time contributor." Yet Davis was demoted to a second-string role because he reported to training camp out of shape and, judging by the debut episode of "Hard Knocks,'' has yet to fully buy into new head coach Joe Philbin's program. "He's got more talent and ability (than most cornerbacks)," Ireland said of Miami's 2009 first-round draft pick. "He's got to turn those flashes into consistency.'' That answer led to Polian's main point: Davis has probably coasted on sheer physical talent for the bulk of his football career.

The year he was drinking & all I think was the year his brother was charged with 1st Degree Murder.

And people can change. With Pagano & Grigson, they're not gonna allow him to do things like that. He'll get his act together. And if you watch this Vid, you'll see what he brings to the table. This is from just this past season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdfBxOrQ90

The columnist who wrote that Fleener or Hilton be involved is a clown who spends too much time thinking trades in Madden are realistic. More often than not, teams do not trade away rookies they have drafted. It would make sense if we traded away Brown, Hughes, or anyone else that was left from last year as they weren't brought in my Pagano/Grigson. But there is very little chance we get rid of a 2nd or 3rd rounder who they likely have high hopes for.

The only way that makes any sense is if we give up T.Y. to bring in Mike Wallace. We likely don't want to carry 6 WR, and we might need to drop a rookie to bring in a veteran WR. But I highly doubt we pull from one position to supplement CB. If we were going to do that, we just as well have drafted Dennard or some other prospect later in the draft.

We desperately need a Corner, who would be an upgrade for our CB-class. He is the only available CB now.

But there is a Chance that Irsay is teasing us, and wants to buy an other plane. That would be a big one...

He is far from the only available CB. Most teams have at least 2 or 3 CBs they'd give up for the right compensation. Rodgers-Cromartie is a good example of a guy who wasn't available, but became expendable to bring in a "franchise" QB.

Pagano can keep him in line. Some of you are making it out like he would be a slight upgrade over King. This guy is more talented than any CB we currently have on the roster. Like TK85 said, he started drinking when his brother was convicted for murder. I would LOVE if we got this guy. Giving up a third for him would be great, he is a sure thing, unlike any draft picks. The Ravens were really high on him coming out of Illinois, and I think Pagano was their DB coach then, so he must have wanted him too. He fits our scheme, he doesn't fit theirs.

The year he was drinking & all I think was the year his brother was charged with 1st Degree Murder.

And people can change. With Pagano & Grigson, they're not gonna allow him to do things like that. He'll get his act together. And if you watch this Vid, you'll see what he brings to the table. This is from just this past season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdfBxOrQ90

A good highlight tape on a corner can make you want one real bad.....I want one!

Let's not take one guys newspaper article and conlude he is telling you the gospel. Davis is like 24 years old, all that is is immaturity. That's not a constant off the field problem. I think that could be fixed. A newspaper writer who is probably a drunk and a coke head himself in his private life is always willing to write about the morals and problems of someone else as if he's some kind of judge. We have players that do this same thing, they just don't happen to get caught like he did.

Surely all of us love Ray Lewis, but at one time he had some baggage in his early career and we all know we'd love him on our team. So did Chris Carter, so did Randy Moss but they are all headed to Canton. Everything Davis is doing is not half as bad as the aforementioned players and you can tell it's from being immature. I think it's something that can be fixed. The kid can play, I think it's worth a look!

To quote an ESPN article:

" Later, he tweeted that new Colts general manager Ryan Grigson isn't afraid to roll the dice and that the owner was willing to open his checkbook." (Regarding Irsay)

It's pretty evident that we are trading for a big name and Vontae fits a CLEAR need on this team.

To quote an ESPN article:

" Later, he tweeted that new Colts general manager Ryan Grigson isn't afraid to roll the dice and that the owner was willing to open his checkbook." (Regarding Irsay)

It's pretty evident that we are trading for a big name and Vontae fits a CLEAR need on this team.

Vontae Davis, Darelle Revis, or Joe Haden are all Options right now

Let's not take one guys newspaper article and conlude he is telling you the gospel. Davis is like 24 years old, all that is is immaturity. That's not a constant off the field problem. I think that could be fixed. A newspaper writer who is probably a drunk and a coke head himself in his private life is always willing to write about the morals and problems of someone else as if he's some kind of judge. We have players that do this same thing, they just don't happen to get caught like he did.

Surely all of us love Ray Lewis, but at one time he had some baggage in his early career and we all know we'd love him on our team. So did Chris Carter, so did Randy Moss but they are all headed to Canton. Everything Davis is doing is not half as bad as the aforementioned players and you can tell it's from being immature. I think it's something that can be fixed. The kid can play, I think it's worth a look!

You guys are absolutely correct.....I was actually going off of one of the poster's comments. For krunk, I am a huge fan of Ray Lewis.....and yes there was his early turmoil/baggage as you say I am not a fan of Davis, but if Grigs and Pags think he can help this team win football games and he is a good citizen in the community I am willing to get him at a 'decent' price.

Thanks for the heads up on the article....I was not able to open it this morning.....and I don't have my game face on yet :)

Revis and Haden aren't going anywhere.

I kind of agree, especially about Revis, but this is more in line with Irsay's tweets. "Serious vet starter", "given up high pick", "Aggressively improve your Indianapolis Colts", and "my checkbook stands at the ready". These kinds of things IMO wouldn't be said about Vontae Davis or any other good, but not great player. I highly doubt Hayden or Revis are headed to Indy, but it has to be bigger than Davis.

I'm sticking with that we're getting Joe Haden. I know a lot of you gonna say it won't happen. But I like to go against the Odds. I'm sticking to Haden.

If we get Vontae, I'm still happy. But I'm going out there with voting for Haden to come from Cleveland and find himself on a Winning Team

bookit.jpg

The checkbook part has me thinking Cary Williams. I don't think he is a better player than Davis, but he is on a 1 year tender it seems, and trying for a new contract. If Irsay's checkbook is ready, I guess that'd mean it's a player looking for a new deal.

Vontae still has two years left, so Irsay's checkbook would likely not be a part of the equation, and 1-2 million for a starting CB is not something you have to get your checkbook ready for as an NFL owner.

Aside from Cary, the only other CB options I can see are in Philly, and Rodgers-Cromartie has one year on his deal, so that could make sense. Some have said Nnamdi, but they signed him to a big deal, and I just don't see him being a move in the right direction for a growing team. He needs to be on a ready now team (age), and Philly is considered that more so than Indy.

So I could see Rodgers-Cromartie or Cary Williams. I'd really like to see Vontae if they can get his head on straight, as he seems like a real ball player, with plenty of time left. Cary isn't old by any means, but I don't think he is near the caliber of player that Vontae is, and certainly not what I would call a "proven vet."

Is this guy serious? A 2nd rder. plus Fleener or Hilton???? This guy must be hitting the drugs that constantly flow in from Cuba. I know it was just his speculation, but come on. Davis isn't worth that, he's barely worth a 2nd alone IMO.

I agree, a 3rd rounder is already pushing it, he went over board trying to ask for Fleener and Hilton.

If Davis is the guy -- and we're just thinking out loud here -- and since he's already down to 2nd string, I'm thinking a 3rd round pick for Davis straight up is the deal. A #3 for Davis. And, assuming we can get Davis signed long term, I'd be OK with that.

But no more than that. No other picks and no players. I'd do a three.

I think a #3 would fit Irsay's description of a high pick for a vet. Just my hunch....