Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Manning Decision Now vs. Then

jskinnz

To me, this rebuild was more than just about Peyton Manning. Jim Irsay stated the day after last years opening game loss to the Texans for fans to be prepared for "shock" in the next 18 months. I believe then he wanted a new "tougher" team identity and is headed that direction. More offensive balance and a stingy defense.The past was great but the future looks even greater!

Absolutely agree with this. I did think Manning was going to be gone but my jaw did drop a bit when Polian and son were canned. I was happy though. I really felt this team was stuck in a rut.

I think Irsay did the right thing. Started it all over and brought in fresh new visions and voices.

I 100% feel like this team is headed in the right direction.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the correct decision like others has said. Although, I miss and still miss Manning it was time for a change. We could not rebuild if we had an over aged QB, with health concerns. I applaud Mr. Irsay, I applauded him earlier in the year and I have not changed my mind. I know it was not easy on him, I would hate to be in his shoes. But when it was all said and done it was the right decision. I am excited about the new era, I am excited about the future. I see a lot of more great things for Colts football.

I was definitely opposed to the decision at the time. With hindsight it's looking much better. Besides, it's a done deal so no use worrying about the couldabeens.

I really thought they could retool while Manning finished his career here.

I hope Manning's very successful in Denver and sets all the passing records with them. And then I hope that Luck breaks them again in 15 years.

Never about the money, remember?

Looks fine throwing to me. "Reporters" can claim arm weakness if they want because of a wobbley ball. All that proves is that they haven't watch his last 217 games.

Hold on a second. My comment was in response to you. If you can choose between paying one quarterback $64 million over the next four years (including $28 million right now), and paying another $22 million over the next four years, that's a variable to consider. So when you say that the only thing Luck has over Manning is age, I disagree. Luck is more affordable.

And as for his health, I don't care what reporters say. Manning's arm was a huge uncertainty five months ago. It was also a variable to consider.

So all I'm saying is that age isn't the only thing to consider. I'd have loved to have kept Manning, but age wasn't the only determining factor.

Hold on a second. My comment was in response to you. If you can choose between paying one quarterback $64 million over the next four years (including $28 million right now), and paying another $22 million over the next four years, that's a variable to consider. So when you say that the only thing Luck has over Manning is age, I disagree. Luck is more affordable.

And as for his health, I don't care what reporters say. Manning's arm was a huge uncertainty five months ago. It was also a variable to consider.

So all I'm saying is that age isn't the only thing to consider. I'd have loved to have kept Manning, but age wasn't the only determining factor.

If I had the decision? Then I stick with Manning. It's nothing against Luck, but I stick with the guy who knows how to get it done. The statistics were there that majority of the players who have had the surgery Peyton had continue to have a successful career. Cornerbacks are those that failed to continue to play.

In the next four years odds are a veteran lead team win a Super Bowl over the other. I care to win now opposed to later. So the four years you get with the cushy rookies contract will be gone. He'll get that big fat contract, and you're in the same situation.

I get Luck won't fail most likely. That being said you don't need the absolute best to win. If that were true the guys drafted after Peyton and before Andrew wouldn't have rings.

I had an emotional attachment to Manning, since I always loved how he represented our team, such a classy person. Truly put the team on the map not only with his play, but with that "it' factor. With that said, when I knew we would have the number one pick, I thought the right move was Luck. Normally I don't listen to the so called talent evaluators, but everyone was consistent on their opinion, plus what my eyes showed me. I also thought is Peyton sure to come back healthy, and even then how many years would he have, maybe 4 and if Luck was what everyone was saying, we would get another 15 years. One more thing has swung me even further. I know Peyton wants to be perfect, but when he is saying he has trouble when he throws to the right side of the field, and talks about velocity, you wonder if the nerve will ever fully regenerate. Peyton Manning at 90% will still be great, but I still worry about the arm, especially as the season goes on. Emotionally I hated the decision, but on a factual basis it was definitely the right one. Now, with hindsight and seeing Luck, my emotional side feels a little better about the decision, although it still hurts to see him in that Denver uniform!

If I had the decision? Then I stick with Manning. It's nothing against Luck, but I stick with the guy who knows how to get it done. The statistics were there that majority of the players who have had the surgery Peyton had continue to have a successful career. Cornerbacks are those that failed to continue to play.

In the next four years odds are a veteran lead team win a Super Bowl over the other. I care to win now opposed to later. So the four years you get with the cushy rookies contract will be gone. He'll get that big fat contract, and you're in the same situation.

I get Luck won't fail most likely. That being said you don't need the absolute best to win. If that were true the guys drafted after Peyton and before Andrew wouldn't have rings.

I don't know if I would have stuck with Manning, primarily because of the $28 million option bonus. But that's not to say that it couldn't have worked. I personally held out hope that he'd be a Colt until the moment he signed with the Broncos. I wanted him to stay. But I get the role that the contract and his health status played in the ultimate decision.

As for Luck's contract status, it won't be the same having a 26 year old quarterback on a big contract as it is having a 36 year old on a big contract, especially when the 36 year old has four neck surgeries and some nerve damage. The problem with Manning was never the money he made. If you want a top tier quarterback, you have to pay him, and then you do the best with what you have left over. Unfortunately, we didn't do so good with that second part over the last five years (some of that due to bad luck, some of that due to poor decisions). But the problem was never Manning's contract. By the same token, Luck's contract won't be a problem either.

This is as good a time as any to say that in my opinion, acceptance of Manning's release hasn't been the problem on this site. The two camps are more about the fact that some people (like myself) think that it is appropriate to openly respect what we had. Manning didn't make an obscene gesture and leave us for more money, he was ripped away - and cried about it. It is as if we are going through a grieving process, and want to mix in regret for what we lost along with the optimism for the future. A long, slow, sad, process. The other camp wants to rip the bandaid off and cauterize the wound with fire. They seem threatened by the mere mention of Manning's name, and try to bully those who bring him up in any context. Some put Luck on a pedestal that he hasn't had time to earn, while trying to knock Peyton off the one that he richly deserves. They treat him as if he is now "the enemy", instead of a favorite son who has been forcibly ostracized. I just don't get it. THEY make it very hard for me to enjoy my new team, not Irsay or the staff. Frankly if I wasn't reading this site I would be enjoying the rebuilding process a lot more.

This is exactly how I feel too, but you already knew that ;) Well said, my friend.

This is as good a time as any to say that in my opinion, acceptance of Manning's release hasn't been the problem on this site. The two camps are more about the fact that some people (like myself) think that it is appropriate to openly respect what we had. Manning didn't make an obscene gesture and leave us for more money, he was ripped away - and cried about it. It is as if we are going through a grieving process, and want to mix in regret for what we lost along with the optimism for the future. A long, slow, sad, process. The other camp wants to rip the bandaid off and cauterize the wound with fire. They seem threatened by the mere mention of Manning's name, and try to bully those who bring him up in any context. Some put Luck on a pedestal that he hasn't had time to earn, while trying to knock Peyton off the one that he richly deserves. They treat him as if he is now "the enemy", instead of a favorite son who has been forcibly ostracized. I just don't get it. THEY make it very hard for me to enjoy my new team, not Irsay or the staff. Frankly if I wasn't reading this site I would be enjoying the rebuilding process a lot more.

I'll just point out that those are not the only two camps that exist.

The only thing that could have been different is some indifference shown towards Peyton treating him like a hired hand that could have been avoided

OK, then tell us what Irsay did that was wrong and how it could have been handled better. Specific examples please.

Btw, I was OK with it from the beginning.

I already know several people who have reversed their opinions on the matter. It was tough for me to accept but I had a feeling we would get something special with Luck albeit is a little early for me to praise him but I do think he has top QB potential for sure in the long run.

I still will root for the Broncos after my beloved Colts. If the Colts aren't competing for the title or the playoffs if the Broncos are in contention however, I will root for them solely because of Manning.

Colts are and will always be my #1 but I'd love to see Manning get another ring before he retires that is unless he has to go through the Colts.

It was the right decision to cut Manning from the very start. Many people may not agree but I believe that Irsay is a very smart individual for doing this.

I fully respect Manning for what he's done for the city and organization, but all good things have to come to an end. After what Peyton's been through, I think it was right for both parties to go seperate ways. We now have Mr. Andrew Luck, and from what iv'e seen so far, he's the first piece on this team that we need to build around to take us the top once more.

I agree. It was a no fault amicable split brought on by the perfect storm. Ask Dolphins fans if they wish they'd have had access to the same scenario when Marino was in the twilight of his career? 17 starting QB's later they are banking on developing Tannehill.

Tannehill really doesnt look all that bad either. yeah he is no Marino but he is no where close to being as bad as a Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russel or Vince Young. I think the dolphins mistake was trading brandon marshall. they should have kept him to help groom Tannenhill.

Don't ever underestimate the power of money. Manning was owed 28 mil plus base salary. No one can afford to pay 1 player 1/3 of your salary cap and still field a competitive team.

I agree 100%

Very hard to be competitive with one player making most of the coin.

honestly, i believe releasing manning was the right decision. im thankful for what manning has done, and bringing us a superbowl championship BUT you cant risk that kind of money on a guy who wasnt 100% and to be honest none of us really know if he is even 100% now. that could just be something the broncos, manning and his agent are putting out there to try to make it seem like denver has no worries about him. plus him being in his upper 30's at 37 years old it was time to start thinking rebuild. and when you have one of the most sought out QB's coming out of college in a long time, basically handed to you on a silver platter because your HOF QB is out for the year. you dont pass up on that oppertunity. especially if he is the type of QB if throwin into a well pput together team all around could lead you to multiple superbowls. may be alittle over optimistic but i believe Luck could very well bring this city 2 or 3 superbowls in a few years.

honestly, i believe releasing manning was the right decision. im thankful for what manning has done, and bringing us a superbowl championship BUT you cant risk that kind of money on a guy who wasnt 100% and to be honest none of us really know if he is even 100% now. that could just be something the broncos, manning and his agent are putting out there to try to make it seem like denver has no worries about him. plus him being in his upper 30's at 37 years old it was time to start thinking rebuild. and when you have one of the most sought out QB's coming out of college in a long time, basically handed to you on a silver platter because your HOF QB is out for the year. you dont pass up on that oppertunity. especially if he is the type of QB if throwin into a well pput together team all around could lead you to multiple superbowls. may be alittle over optimistic but i believe Luck could very well bring this city 2 or 3 superbowls in a few years.

I'm sure there are people in the Broncos organization who are worried about Manning's condition. They took a gamble, and I hope it works out.

First off, this is not meant to be an inflammatory Manning vs. Luck debate. That is not the intent.

What I am curious about is if seeing Luck in these first two games, granted only preseason games, has changed anyone's mind about the decision to release 18. Do you still think Manning should be playing in Indy? If you think they made the right decision, did you come to that conclusion in the last week or did you think it was the right thing to do in March?

Personally I think they made the right call back then. But it does help now to see that Luck appears to be the real deal.

We're going to have to wait until real games are played..

we didnt really re-tool the 'D'. there's a lot of familair faces there.

Our O-line is improved but we could have done that with Peyton Manning.....

Who's catching passes..Colie and Reggie Wayne///he was here last year...plus rookies we drafted

Who's running for TDs Donaldn Brown. He was here last year.....plus rookies we drafted...

We rleasedf Brackett...Clark, saturday and some otehr guys...

But.otehr than saturday, we could have done that with Mannning.

We STILL dont know if Manning is 100% and as good as he was in 2010

..and we STILL dont know if Andrew Luck is a top pro QB..

I THINK the answer is yes to both questions....but we STILL dont know..

Let's revisit this same question in 2 months///

Right now..Jim Irsay looks like a genius...but that could change in the next 2 weeks

This is hard to agree with because we were competitive for many years with that one player making most of the coin. :hmm:

We were competitive yes, but our team was not built for the playoffs. Tell me how the rest of the team was ranked.

We were competitive yes, but our team was not built for the playoffs. Tell me how the rest of the team was ranked.

No team is built for the playoffs....Everyone loses more than they win in the post-season...

You hear the same gthing in every NFL city... phily, NY...even New England

"We werent built for a Super Bowl run.."

Honestly I think the Colts were in a NO LOSE SITUATION. Keep Manning and trade the pick...load up and surround him with young talent and have 4 or 5 years to continue to make a run at it or draft Andrew Luck....who WE THINK will give us 10-15 years more to make runs at it. There was risk in both situations. Peytons health vs Lucks future. I won't hate them even if I would do things differently. Todays NFL is a bit easier on qbs and they come in a lot more advanced then the past so I can see how the Colts thought about this.

The only thing I was upset about was the "Suck for Luck" and the war of words that Irsay kind of stirred up on Peyton. I didn't like his comments...then him changing his stance and so on through it. He quickly wised up though and it was a nice send off at least...no hard feelings that we could see and we all got a gracious goodbye.

I agree with MAC. We don't need to belittle Peyton or his accomplisments or put Luck through the comparisons either. Lets just root for the Colts moving forward. Luck and the Colts have a long way to go to be championship caliber contenders year in and year out....and after all....that is the true measure correct?

I think something that is forgotten is, of course we got a young promising prospect in Luck but lets not forget what Manning got. He went from one very classy organization to another. He gets basically a fresh start and a chance to finally go after the one thing that will cap off his brilliant career, the ring. Heck even 2,3,4.......you get the point. The decision benefited both sides.

As for the decision, it was the right decision even last year. All the numbers, the signs, the reports basically pointed at Manning leaving. It wasn't exactly some huge mystery. It was just harder for some to accept than others. And you can see in this thread that some still haven't come to accept the decision....

He has looked good in the pre-season but the Broncos overall have looked very good. Really balanced on both sides of the ball. And this is why I think Manning will get a ring with the Broncos. JMO. At the very least I see them making the AFCCG within a year or two. More realistically in year 2 or 3.

I have said from the start I understood what were doing and it made sense but I hated to see Peyton go and that's how I still feel. I love Peyton Manning as I am sure every Colts fan does. I am a big fan of Andrew Luck's too and have been since he was at Stanford. So I am thrilled we got him. I can honestly say I don't think I would have been as excited about it had we landed RG3. Namely because I didn't follow RG3 in college like I did Luck. It's much easier to get on board with it when you are a fan of the guy you are bringing.

I've always looked at this like I did when we let go of Harbaugh, my all-time favorite player, for Peyton. I was mad when it first happened but I was willing to give Manning a shot because he was the QB of my team. I still pulled for Harbaugh and followed him every Sunday except when they played the Colts and then I wanted it to be like 55 to 50 with the Colts winning. Frankly Harbaugh is what lead me to Luck. I followed Harbaugh as a coach and since i was a fan of Harbaugh and Luck was his QB I became a fan of Luck. Heck I even like the 49ers now because of Harbaugh. Anyways back to the point at hand I am a Colts fan above all players and I've seen favorite players Harbaugh, Marvin, Clark, and Manning, all come and go. The great thing about being a fan of a team new favorites always arise to take their place. Now my two favorites are Wayne and Luck.

I am thrilled Luck is already giving great returns but even if he wasn't right off the bat I'd still stand by my team. Also like others have said even if Luck does bust out it doesn't mean the Colts made the wrong call. Keeping Manning meant committing to him for the next four years. There are already reports out of Denver that Manning is having problems throwing to his right. How mad would fans be if we passed on Luck or RG3 for that matter and Manning is never the same player he once was and we were locked into him for the next four years? I've always looked at it this way if Luck busts out it's much easier to recover from that under the new CBA than it was going to be recovering if Manning turned out not to be 100% again. I also look at it this way as much as I am going to hate seeing Manning play for the Broncos it's made easier knowing that we have what looks like to be the next great young QB and as more and more time goes by and as Manning grows closer and closer to retirement and Luck moves closer and closer to his prime I think fans are going to go you know what I wish Peyton could have finished a Colt but I wouldn't trade Luck for he world.

I also don't buy that people are going to forget that Peyton was a Colt. Is anyone honestly going to tell me that say had Favre had won a Super Bowl with the Vikings and he had as many with them as he did with the Packers that people wouldn't still think of Favre as a Packer? Samething here. Peyton played the bulk of his career here and the image that will always come to mind is Peyton with the Colts. Sure like Montana with the Chiefs or Favre with the Vikings he's going to have moments with the Broncos that stick out but people will still think of him as a Colt and frankly Indianapolis is home to the Mannings. He has a hospital named after him here. He has too much invested in this city to just pretend like that part of his career didn't happen. He'll come home probably retire a Colt, have his name added to the ring of honor, have his number retired and yes probably have a statue built for him and frankly I look forward to that time. Look at his dad he played for the Saints for years and went the Oilers at the end of his career yet where is home to the Mannings? New Orleans not Houston. I am guessing Peyton will follow a similar path.

But that's precisely my point. I've seen plenty of bad decisions, and Irsay was there for most of them. Just because Manning was the right decision doesn't mean that Irsay has now been "cured" - particularly with him dumping his GM and coaches and replacing them with rookies. I've been a bit concerned that his primary goal has been to re-establish more influence over the team, and I have no reason to believe that said influence would be for the better. It would feel like the 1980's all over again if they had flubbed this decision, and that would make me angry. To this point I'm mostly relieved.

What would actually be "unfortunate for me" at that point would have been choosing to be a Colts fan for 45 years - most of which involved being subjected to one of the most dysfunctional owners in sports. I like Jim, but I'm always concerned about how far that apple might have fallen.

Maybe Irsay felt he needed more control after he watched his main man (BP) bring his franchise to it's knees? To me, he gave BP to long a leash, and it al ended in tears.

Manning's contract has nothing to do with the team's level of competitiveness. Bottom line is that if you want a good quarterback, you're going to have to pay for him.

Yep and if Luck keeps going the way we think he is going to go then we are going to have pay him in about five years. Frankly if you look at what Grigson is doing it's a lot like what Polian did for Mora when he first got here. Clear out a lot of the old players. Draft on offense to put players around your young QB so they can grow together and go to free agency to get experienced defensive players to fill out your defense.

It's funny how the fans who were most against Peyton leaving are now quiet, or they have reversed their agenda. It should however, be a lesson learned to those people, to think with your head and not your heart.

I think that's because a lot of the fans who were the most upset about Manning leaving swore off being Colts fan and announced they were no longer going to be Colts fans and stopped posting here. With that said all you have to do is look back to the 98 draft when twas 50/50 Manning or Leaf and yet now you can't find one person who said hey I wanted Leaf over Manning to prove your point.

the same thing you worry about with the irsay/grigson team is what i see with the irsay/irsay team. jimmy was too young & didn't earn the job through the ranks. but more importantly, i think he had his dad in his ear telling him to do boneheaded things. i feel a lot better about jimmy being in grigsons ear than the latter. grigson probably needs irsay in his ear because he may be in a little over his head. from what i've seen, i feel good about them as a team, filling in for one another's weaknesses. grigson appears to be an excellent talent evaluator, and irsay is a master politician, unlike his father

There is no thinking about that part. It's true. His dad was off his rocker sorry. Case and point watch the Band that wouldn't die documentary and listen to Jim Irsay tell the story about coming to Indianapolis in the first place. More or less it goes like this. Bob Irsay called his son and the coach in and said I want you to go to Indianapolis to meet with them about taking the team there. He gets here and he gets a call from his dad wanting to know where he's at and when he says he's in Indianapolis his dad flipped out wanting to know who sent him there.

Frankly I think Jim Irsay looked up to his dad despite his faults like most sons do and wanted to be a good son and that meant doing what his dad wanted when it came to the team. All you have to do is listen to Jim Irsay joke about his first act when was the person put in charge of the Colts after his dad had a stroke and that was to fire himself as the GM. Jim knew he wasn't cut out for that job and I honestly doubt he would ever have interest in that poistion again.

What Jim Irsay has proven to be very good at as an owner is recognizing talent in terms of coaches and GMs. Bill Tobin came in and gave this team it's first true taste of success. Bill Polian built the best football team in regular season history in the NFL. Listen to Dungy talk about how he came here it was Jim Irsay who went out and got him not Bill Polian. He's had his misses he's not perfect, Lindy Infante maybe being his biggest one (and yes letting Ted Marchibroda go for Infante is a bigger mistake than hiring Caldwell). However what Irsay has always shown to me is that even when he makes a mistake he's willing to admit it and try to fix it. I've always said the best thing about Jim Irsay is that he'll never be happy to have a losing team as long as it turns a profit. Don't get me wrong I think he wants to turn a profit but he also wants to win and frankly as fans you can't ask for much more from your owner than that.

You make an interesting point FX. We had the 'absolute best', and only got the one Championship. This proves to me that it indeed was the right time to demolish the monster and rebuld anoher one, from the ground up.

No Colt fan will ever forget what PM did for us. Never. But life goes on.

I'll just point out that those are not the only two camps that exist.

The whole 'camp' thing was ridiculous. The problem was the extremists who sat on either end of the decision. The Peytonists who thought the whole world had ended and put him way before the Colts, and the Luck is the 2nd Coming gang who fell on this board like locusts and bored us all to tears. What we have now is a 95% united forum with only a few dangling on either side. And those that remain, obviously care a lot.

We all got drawn in at times, but time is a great healer. This is a much better place to be now, and huge props to all the Mods for keeping their heads throughout the madness....

I was honest in my first post in this thread about how I wanted to keep PM, trade the pick, and get the most out of the last 4 years. However, that being said, as I look back in hind site (which is neither valuable or fair), it is a no brainer. I see my team getting bigger, tougher, younger, more aggressive, and sporting an identity that I have missed with the Colts for some time.

Even if PM acquires a SB ring with the Broncos...this was the right decision. Kudos to those who make the tough decisions.

I want to give him credit, and I do genuinely like him - that wasn't lip service. It's mostly his influence when he was the GM that gives me pause. I thought that the best decision that he ever made was to bring in a top level GM and let him go to town. I took that as "I understand that my judgement on talent is deficient, I'm going to hand the reins over to a pro and sit back and watch". The process of switching to Grigson made me VERY nervous. Sure, Polian was too dominating, but now we've gone too far in the other direction. Watching the interplay between Grigson and Irsay at press conferences reminds me a lot of things I've seen between new managers and owners in small business's I've worked at. I would be willing to bet that Grigson's hiring process involved a long list of "this is what the other guy did wrong". Grigson - as a brand new GM at a young age - is very likely hyper focused on addressing that "list", and giving Irsay what he thinks Irsay wants. I'd much rather have a competent and experienced GM who is free to focus on what he knows works. I said that I was relieved about Luck, but the jury is going to be out on Grigson (and therefore Irsay) for some time to come.

You can't assume that since Grigson is a rookie GM he is going to be a complete yes man. I think Grigson was brought in mostly for his scouting and evaluation skills and that is what he is focused on. Irsay is going to have a more active role because Grigson need time to learn the entire position of GM. If in a few years you feel like Grigson is a push over then fine but at least give the man a chance to build some chemistry and earn the respect of Irsay before you judge their working relationship. No owner would completely turn his billion dollar franchise over to a rookie GM who he doesn't have a prior relationship with.

You can't assume that since Grigson is a rookie GM he is going to be a complete yes man. I think Grigson was brought in mostly for his scouting and evaluation skills and that is what he is focused on. Irsay is going to have a more active role because Grigson need time to learn the entire position of GM. If in a few years you feel like Grigson is a push over then fine but at least give the man a chance to build some chemistry and earn the respect of Irsay before you judge their working relationship. No owner would completely turn his billion dollar franchise over to a rookie GM who he doesn't have a prior relationship with.

Frankly other than the manning call and pagano hire irsay has let grigson make the other calls. So I don't think Grigson has been a yes man at all not that you said he was.