Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we give Props to Donald Brown please?

NewColtsFan

.... whether Brown is the 1st string running back or not, he is a serious and legitimate weapon for the team.

And it was on display from the first play.

Can we please focus less on what Brown can't do, and focus a little more on what he **can** do?

Like take a short pass and turn it into a long touchdown. There aren't a lot of players who can do that. Not many (any?) other RB's on the Colts roster could've done that.

Speed kills in the NFL. And Brown's got loads of it. Can we cut the guy a little slack now....?

Just askin....

I think Brown will have a good year but probably won't top 1000 yards simply due to sharing the load with Ballard and Carter. I think he'll be better in the type of running game that it sounds like Arians and Pagano want to use. I don't think he was suited for a zone blocking type team. He always seemed to do better hitting a defined hole rather than waiting for a hole to be opened up in a zone blocking scheme. Even though he's not a very big guy, I think hé's much better in north/south type running plays than in a stretch play. so between the running game and being used in screens and other passes to get him out into open space I think he will have a good year.

I don't think Brown is a every down back( could be wrong ) but I don't see why he has to be. Colts should try to limit him to his strengths.

I agree. Although I believe he CAN be a every-down back but we really don't need him to be. Moore and Carter bring a good change of pace to DB and if Arians can effectively use them, it'll keep them all fresh come down the stretch.

Always liked Brown i just think the Colts under POLIAN never used him in the right situations. I think he is going to have a good year GO BROWN

I agree,I also think our o-line was geared more for pass blocking not for opening holes for our running backs.

He looked fast yesterday. Not only on that Luck TD, but on some other runs to, like that one to the outside. He impressed me with his speed.

His performance was good considering the time he had, but let's see more from him.

I don't think Brown is a every down back( could be wrong ) but I don't see why he has to be. Colts should try to limit him to his strengths.

I would like to see ballard as the work horse, Carter the short yardage/goal line back and Donald relieve ballard when needed.

Brown can be and is a every down back from the stand point of number of carries but on 3rd and inches I dont know if he is an every down back from that standpoint I think thats what Ballard and Carter will be for, I think it will be a running back by committee which I dont care as long as we can run the ball but Brown is a 1000 yard back just look at his 4.8 yards per carry last year and double his amount of caries that he actually got last year (134)

Great home run play but I've seen that from Brown before (not that I dislike seeing it). I just hope we see it a little more often than we have in the past when it's been a little more spread out. That's my issue with Brown is that in the past we've gotten way more bust than we have boom. Now with that said he had a very good end to last season so hopefully that was a launching point for him and this game was a sign of things to come.

Great home run play but I've seen that from Brown before (not that I dislike seeing it). I just hope we see it a little more often than we have in the past when it's been a little more spread out. That's my issue with Brown is that in the past we've gotten way more bust than we have boom. Now with that said he had a very good end to last season so hopefully that was a launching point for him and this game was a sign of things to come.

Said it before and I will say it again, Got to have to physical and insink O Line to do that (for those that thats a shot at the O Line its not its just the truth)

yeah but we've been saying that about the o-line since what 2007 or 2008?

Cause its been the truth since then, Addai was a better runner then what his stats showed, Brown is a 1000 yard back and Addai was but our O Line has always been more agile and better suited to protect Peyton thats what they were for, and not enough power to open up holes and maul D Linemen

Cause its been the truth since then, Addai was a better runner then what his stats showed, Brown is a 1000 yard back and Addai was but our O Line has always been more agile and better suited to protect Peyton thats what they were for, and not enough power to open up holes and maul D Linemen

I didn't say it wasn't the truth. I am just saying the line being an issue is nothing new. It's clearly a lot easier to say it's the problem than it has been to fix it which is why even after yesterday I am still concerned about the running game because till that line gets fixed Brown can have all the speed in the world it's not going to matter.

Can we give props to Allen for giving Brown a lane he could drive a bus through?

Brown does do well catching out of the backfield, and really turned on the jets out in the open.

That play was a coach's dream as far as blocking goes- Joe Reitz, Allen, and Fleener sprung the lane open perfectly, and Brown showed great vision in reading the lane and exploding through it.

Can't draw it up any better than that, and if our TE's can continue blocking in space like that, we're going to see a lot more big runs. Allen definitely gets props for his part in it, that was a beautiful pancake block.

Im seriously about to pass on Corner in next years draft in the first round (which has been my choice) in stead Im thinking seriously draft a Right Guard and Right Tackle, Coby Fleener is the best blocker on that right side lol

It's not just O-line blocking at the front line that counts, but blocking at the 2nd level by your TE's and WR's (bonus points for any linemen that make it that far). That's where the big plays really come from, and it can make all the difference between a 7 yard run and a 70 yarder.

Part of what held us back on big plays in the running game is that we didn't really value or stress that in our receivers before. Not to say it never happened, but that just wasn't what we asked our guys to do. And a WR or TE whiffing downfield dramatically cuts back your chance of hitting a home run.

.... whether Brown is the 1st string running back or not, he is a serious and legitimate weapon for the team.

Can we please focus less on what Brown can't do, and focus a little more on what he **can** do?

Like take a short pass and turn it into a long touchdown. There aren't a lot of players who can do that. Not many (any?) other RB's on the Colts roster could've done that.

Speed kills in the NFL. And Brown's got loads of it. Can we cut the guy a little slack now....?

Just askin....

He does what we ask him to do...always has

..and you hear nothing from him.....We are and will be a passing team.....

We'll never be 'Brown and pound'

..so he'll always have light numbers......

Its a position we have filled and he has the open field speed to do what he did Sunday if the defenses get obcessed with Andrew

Just askin....

Yay, 2 rushing attemtps, 2 yards!!!!! Congrats Donald!

Sorry, for some reason, I want my running back to be able to run the ball!

he isn't going to break many tackles, but he's dangerous in open space. something tells me arians has a better plan to effectively utilize his talents

That play yesterday.....shake....

there's no reason not to run that 3 or 4 times a game...the linebacker or DE cant tie Brown up because he's rushing the passer..

..and if he can make somebody miss.....he's like a pony busted out of the barn

It's not just O-line blocking at the front line that counts, but blocking at the 2nd level by your TE's and WR's (bonus points for any linemen that make it that far). That's where the big plays really come from, and it can make all the difference between a 7 yard run and a 70 yarder.

Part of what held us back on big plays in the running game is that we didn't really value or stress that in our receivers before. Not to say it never happened, but that just wasn't what we asked our guys to do. And a WR or TE whiffing downfield dramatically cuts back your chance of hitting a home run.

No when our guys get into the open field they get big runs, the problem has been getting them past the line. That's why the issue is the line. Honestly if you watch Wayne he is one of the better blocking WRs in the NFL. Our guys have always been taught to block well down the field. The problem is we can't get the past the line because of the issues there.

Yay, 2 rushing attemtps, 2 yards!!!!! Congrats Donald!

Sorry, for some reason, I want my running back to be able to run the ball!

I know what he did in the running game. I don't think he even played the full first quarter. And it's not like there were open holes that he didn't get through. If you got no where to run, then you got no where to run.

As i said.... maybe he's not the every down back we want/need. But he has a very unique and valuable skill.

SPEED.

And I think Arians showed he knows how to use it.

That's all I'm trying to say.....

No when our guys get into the open field they get big runs, the problem has been getting them past the line. That's why the issue is the line. Honestly if you watch Wayne he is one of the better blocking WRs in the NFL. Our guys have always been taught to block well down the field. The problem is we can't get the past the line because of the issues there.

Outside of Brown's crazy 80 yarder last year, that simply hasn't been the case since we had a prime Edge. Take last year for example.

We were 15th in yards per carry at 4.2, and we had 41 runs of 10 or more yards. Yet Donald Brown, our lead back and big play threat, only had 4 runs of 20 or more yards. Carter had 2. Addai didn't have any. Who makes all those tackles between 10 and 20 yards?

That's why second and third level blocking can provide such a great boost to the team. It can be the difference between a nice 12 yard run and a game-breaking 40 yard TD, point blank.

Our line does need to play better- but I'm not going to give anyone a pass in blocking here. We needed to improve our blocking in space and on all levels of the defense, and the numbers back it up. We do that, and good things happen.