Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dose Anyone Have a good Feeling About Hughes This Year?

LUCKyday

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has Hughes done this year? How many tackles and sacks has he made? I haven't seen enough good play from him to warrant any playing time.

your right what are some of us thinking, he should have 20 sacks by now and 100 tackles, hes a bumb get him out! :rollseyes:

I'm not with it. I think he's been a major weakness. He gets no rush, and he always seems to be a few steps behind the tackler.

lmao You sound like Skip Bayless here. I'm sorry but if you honestly think this then I suggest you take a better look at games. Hughes has gotten rushes, but it is finishing that has been his 'problem'. When pass-rushing he's been able to alter/collapse the pocket, but he hasn't been able to actually sack the QB. Against the Bears there were multiple times where he pressured Cutler, but he slipped or Cutler had to run for a second then throw.

Well. there you go, Jerry, it's posted here so this is your year or.....well.....or something's going down......er......yer on the hot seat, um.

Then its over.

If I had dollar for everytime a Colt player has been labeled as participating in his "last year", I would....well.......dont want to overdo this..........uh, buy a microwave. :lecture:

Do you just make stats up? 2 solo, 1 sack....he is a waste of a roster spot. Beyond ineffective.

first why are you quoting me twice? and if he is beyond ineffective then I suggest you look over at the shot of Freeney you will get of him on the sidelines in street clothes and tell me how effectibve he is over there. Its a fact Hughes has two starts and two sacks, one of which has came in this new system that sounds pretty effective through 2 career starts to me

first why are you quoting me twice? and if he is beyond ineffective then I suggest you look over at the shot of Freeney you will get of him on the sidelines in street clothes and tell me how effectibve he is over there. Its a fact Hughes has two starts and two sacks, one of which has came in this new system that sounds pretty effective through 2 career starts to me

He has 2 tackles, not 8 as you stated. He has 1 sack, not 2 as you stated. This is absolutely nothing to do with Freeney either. Back your man up by all means, but don't fabricate stats to help your argument, or throw in a smokescreen to help either. Clearly the double quote was a typo, but you probably knew that, probably knew that.

He has 2 tackles, not 8 as you stated. He has 1 sack, not 2 as you stated. This is absolutely nothing to do with Freeney either. Back your man up by all means, but don't fabricate stats to help your argument, or throw in a smokescreen to help either. Clearly the double quote was a typo, but you probably knew that, probably knew that.

http://www.nfl.com/p.../496796/profile 1 sack this year and 1 sack last year, I was wrong the other sack was not in a start, and I do apologize but I take offense to being accused of making stuff up

http://www.nfl.com/p.../496796/profile 1 sack this year and 1 sack last year, I was wrong the other sack was not in a start, and I do apologize but I take offense to being accused of making stuff up

I don't take offense to it, allow me.

Hughes has 8 starts (for five different teams) and has sacked the QB every time he dropped back to pass.

He also has 12 strip sacks.

Oh, and a receiving TD.

What about the 3 seasons and injuries it took for him to even get noticeable playing time. Sounds very ineffective to me.

I just think all signs are pointing Jerry Hughes being a bust... Yeah, he got a sack against the Vikings, but it was a coverage sack..

The whole "has to sit behind Freeney and Mathis" is a poor excuse. If the kid was gonna be good/great, the coaches would get him on the field. Look at JPP. He had Tuck and Umenyiora ahead of him, and he was a star in the league in his first or second year.

Hopefully he can show something with Freeney being out, but...I won't hold my breath.

OK, but for real.

I was watching college highlights/lowlights of him this morning.

I don't see what made him a first round pick. Am I watching the wrong film?

He gets off the line very quickly, but after that...meh.

He'll get a sack of an easy target but HE DOES NOT FINISH WELL.

Did they think he could get coached up?

JPP was 2 DEs before in the draft!!! Is he that caliber? :(

Y'know, just because someone doesn't live up to his 1st round status, it doesn't mean that he's totally useless. Yeah, an all-pro will finish and give us sacks. But getting pressure and not finishing is waaaayyyyy better than getting no pressure at all! When we're looking at a 2nd teamer, you have to be happy if he's at least adequate. (Too bad Olsen and Linkenbach aren't at least adequate.)

So, if Hughes doesn't pan out as needed, and the defense remains dependent on a supreme pass rusher, I suppose we can add a good pass rushing OLB/DE to our off season plans.

How many positions can you target with a first round pick (OL, CB, OLB/DE). We don't have a #2, and getting one with a #3 is iffy, at best.

I also can't imagine one would be available in FA, since they're at a premium, and existing teams would put a priority on keeping them. Player displeasure aside.

Re-signing Freeney MAY be a priority FA signing. For the right price, at his age, of course.

Y'know, just because someone doesn't live up to his 1st round status, it doesn't mean that he's totally useless. Yeah, an all-pro will finish and give us sacks. But getting pressure and not finishing is waaaayyyyy better than getting no pressure at all! When we're looking at a 2nd teamer, you have to be happy if he's at least adequate. (Too bad Olsen and Linkenbach aren't at least adequate.)

True but I think he needs to make more plays.

Am I the only One with a good feeling about Hughes coming in the new system. Here is why we are now running the same system as he ran in collage were he was doing so well. Hes had 2 years to learn under Freeny and Mathis. This will be his best season by far.

he hasnt ben a big factor in the first 2 weeks ..but he has a chance......

If I have to sound like Skip to speak my bit than so be it. I don't see Hughes as anything more than an O.K backup to DFree. He's beaten by a blocker constantly. I've watched. Brown and Hughes were picks that weren't supposed to pan out at the level they were picked at to help control the cap at that time. That's my take.

If I have to sound like Skip to speak my bit than so be it. I don't see Hughes as anything more than an O.K backup to DFree. He's beaten by a blocker constantly. I've watched. Brown and Hughes were picks that weren't supposed to pan out at the level they were picked at to help control the cap at that time. That's my take.

Are you suggesting Polian purposely picked players that wouldn't wind up being worthy of second contracts in order to keep the cap in check?

True but I think he needs to make more plays.

And then we'll discredit those plays, because he's Jerry Hughes.

The guy was a bad pick; we get it, and no one will argue otherwise. Now can we just judge his play? From what I see, his play has been okay. He has been around the ball quite a bit through preseason and the first two games, even though he only has two tackles and a sack so far. He's not going to bull rush his way into the backfield, and he's not going to overpower any offensive lineman on the way to the quarterback. In preseason, he was at his best playing the Sam spot behind Mathis, and now he's playing a combination of the Sam and Rush spot with Freeney out.

I just wish we'd give everyone on our defense a few games to see where and how they fit. Some of our guys are going to jump off the screen at you. That doesn't mean that everyone else is playing poorly. I personally think Hughes has done just fine in the new defense so far.

And then we'll discredit those plays, because he's Jerry Hughes.

LoL, that's the sad truth, I think it has less to do with Hughes, than people who are unwilling to back off their argument. Not everyone but some. IMO it doesn't matter what round he was picked in but what does he contribute to the team.

He may not have great stats, but in watching him play, he is much improved over last season and I would call him serviceable. He is getting a decent rush. At times, he's even bull rushed a tackle! In general, just much more aggression on his part in the pass rush. Best way I can put it, some times when I don't get a good view of the uni number, I think it's Mathis, only to see it's Hughes. He run defense is not as good, but he does hustle over to the play, where in the past, he wouldn't. So....no all star for sure, but not the bum many are calling him. But as hated as he is, frankly, he'll have to play at superstar levels to get folks to see him as just average IMO.

There are different ways to be one-dimensional, though. You can be either:

1. REALLY good at one thing; or
  2. REALLY bad at everything else.

Those aren't the same thing, even though both are "one-dimensional".

or you can be very good at one thing AND really bad at everything else, I think thats the case in Freeney unless I see that he can stop the run when he comes back or keep containment(Given the injury he has is to his ankle and given he is a speed rusher lets be honest the odds are not in his favor this year) in any case I obviously hope he returns and is a stud when he does but he really is to this point one dimensional, I believe he can improve alot but it wont come this season physically there is no reason he cant become a multi dimensional player but it has to come mentally or instinctually first and it cant when your out for X number of weeks do to an ankle injury