Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you pay Joe Flacco if you're the Ravens?

trsean

Do you lock him up or hope to find some one better? I think the Ravens can't take that risk with competent QBs at a premium. They'll have to overpay.

I think something close to what Rivers signed in 2009. 6 yrs, 92 mil. 38 guaranteed.

What do you think?

I'd say a little less than Rivers. 6 years, 85 mil, 30 guaranteed. Rivers has had way better stats than Flacco

I agree that Rivers has better stats, but Flacco has had more success in the playoffs and was a dropped pass away from the Super Bowl. I mean, Rivers is clearly a better passer than Flacco, and despite how much a team sport it is, an organization and an agent know the value of a Qb that can win in the post season. It also has to take into account the inflation from yr to yr.

On that note, I wonder what Matt Ryan signs and whether it should be greater, less or equal to Flacco

Flacco has the Troy Aikman like factor going in his favor. The argument in favor of Troy Aikman was that because of his excellent run blocking O-line (much like Flacco), Aikman did not have to throw as much but if he did, his numbers would be outstanding. Aikman however was more accurate than Flacco, no question in my mind.

However, Flacco's performance was not as stellar as people made it out to be in the AFCCG. He missed a few wide open guys. He made difficult throws but then, his anticipation and leading his wideouts is not as good as an elite QB. He is not worth elite QB money, $14-15 mil. a year at best, not the $18-19 mil. that elite QBs demand.

Matt Ryan makes good decisions and makes a lot of good throws but his O-line however is a better run blocking one than a pass blocking one, IMO, and if Ryan has to have more throwing attempts, his O-line should improve as a unit on the pass protection front. He does have a higher ceiling in terms of QB production, based on how his offense is constructed. So, he can demand $16 mil. a year.

Sadly they're not in a position where they can tell him where to shove his demands, because if they do what then? Flacco isn't that good, he's not worth near the elite QB money they're gonna have to pay him, but they don't really have any other options.

He'll likely get a 12-14 million average. I'm not sure he's worth north of 10-12, but that is the nature of the business. They showed this off-season they are sticking with him but not even openly flirting with 18.

They are still flirting with No.7, that Painter guy :).

Flacco has the Troy Aikman like factor going in his favor. The argument in favor of Troy Aikman was that because of his excellent run blocking O-line (much like Flacco), Aikman did not have to throw as much but if he did, his numbers would be outstanding. Aikman however was more accurate than Flacco, no question in my mind.

However, Flacco's performance was not as stellar as people made it out to be in the AFCCG. He missed a few wide open guys. He made difficult throws but then, his anticipation and leading his wideouts is not as good as an elite QB. He is not worth elite QB money, $14-15 mil. a year at best, not the $18-19 mil. that elite QBs demand.

Matt Ryan makes good decisions and makes a lot of good throws but his O-line however is a better run blocking one than a pass blocking one, IMO, and if Ryan has to have more throwing attempts, his O-line should improve as a unit on the pass protection front. He does have a higher ceiling in terms of QB production, based on how his offense is constructed. So, he can demand $16 mil. a year.

I understand what youre saying with Aikman, but as you said, he was more skilled than Flacco. But still, there's something I like about Flacco. He's not the best out there, but I dunno, he's got moxy.

As for Ryan, I can't see justifying paying him more. Admittedly, I dont follow the Falcons to know really what they have there, but the games I've seen that boy play just hasn't impressed.

I think I'd consider my trade options before I'd pay him any kind of big money. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that team getting old and their window closing? If that's the case and they're getting ready to rebuild like we have I'd definitely weigh all my options before signing him to a multi year deal.

I know I'm gonna get bashed on this but they should let him play out his contract and try to get a potential franchise quarterback in the draft next year. Besides the Jaguars, teams wont need to draft a quarterback.

i think the only person making that argument is joe flacco's agent....

Do you lock him up or hope to find some one better? I think the Ravens can't take that risk with competent QBs at a premium. They'll have to overpay.

I think something close to what Rivers signed in 2009. 6 yrs, 92 mil. 38 guaranteed.

What do you think?

If decent QBs are really that scarce and it is really that crucial to the Ravens to keep him (i.e. they will not be able to get a suitable replacement if they let him go), is it really overpaying?

If decent QBs are really that scarce and it is really that crucial to the Ravens to keep him (i.e. they will not be able to get a suitable replacement if they let him go), is it really overpaying?

Depends on your perspective. If you're of the mind that those circumstances require paying him the same rate as QBs that have more talent, then I could see why one would consider it overpaying instead of taking the risk on a new QB.

I'l compare his contract to Fitzpatrick contract of 62 million (over 7 years). Based on Flacco stats and his progression/decline, I'd give him a 6 year, 54 million dollar deal with 22.8 million guarranteed.

Base Bonus Total

Year 1: 3.8M 2.5M 6.3M

Year 2: 3.8M 3.5M 7.3M

Year 3: 3.8M 5M 8.8M

Year 4: 3.8M 6M 9.8M

Year 5: 3.8M 6.5M 10.3M

Year 6: 3.8M 8M 11.8M

Depends on your perspective. If you're of the mind that those circumstances require paying him the same rate as QBs that have more talent, then I could see why one would consider it overpaying instead of taking the risk on a new QB.

I guess my perspective is that if you can't get somebody else that is either better or comparable for the same amount of money, then it is not overpaying. Overpaying is when you pay somebody more than you would have needed to keep him or if you could have got somebody else that would fill the role just as well for less money.

Depends on how this season goes for them. Their defense might fall off with the injuries and age coming into play. I think I would let him play out his contract as well. Worse case scenario, he has a good year and you franchise tag him while you work on a long term deal. Based on what he's done so far, I'd be offering him Mark Sanchez money, not Phillip Rivers money. Five years, $60 million, $20 million guaranteed. If he doesn't go for that, I'd either tag him or let him walk.

If the team has a bad year and winds up with a top five pick in the draft (probably unlikely), I'd be trying to get to #1 to take Matt Barkley. They have a ton of cap space after this season, if I'm not mistaken. They could reshape that roster in no time flat.

Goodness gracious, this thread has gotten so weird.

The Ravens like Joe Flacco. More than the people in this thread do. They have no desire to get rid of him. The two sides disagree over how much he's worth. I've read/heard that the Ravens see him as roughly a $14Mill a year guy. Flacco sees himself as a $16+mill guy. They'll find a way to bridge that.

Flacco has started since he's a rookie. Think this is year 5 for him. He's got a high number of regular season wins. He's got a high number of playoff wins. You can scream all you want that both are because of his running game and his defense, but he still gets the credit for the W's.... just as he gets the blame for the L's... He was a dropped pass (knocked down) away from the Super Bowl, and a missed FG away from OT in the Championship game. Flacco has nothing to be embarrassed about, especially since he came out of Delaware and made the jump to the NFL.

And another thing.... if Flacco -- God forbid -- was killed in a car accident tomorrow, the Ravens are not going to finish with a terrible record. They've got a great running game and a great defense. They'd get a serviceable QB. They might not make the playoffs, but they're not going to be among the worst records in the NFL. They're not going to be in position to draft Matt Barkley at the top of the draft. I don't know where this stuff comes from??

Flacco may not be as good as he thinks... but I don't think he's as bad as his detractors make him out to be.

Just my 2 cents.... (OK, this felt more like a dime's worth....)