• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LT- Castonzo

LG- Reitz

OC- Satele

RG- Ijalana

RT- Justice

Though I'd like to see McGlynn and Anderson compete for a starting job.

I could easily see this being the lineup. I could also see Ijalana winning the RT spot and one of the vets winning the RG job. The bonus is that both Ijalana and Anderson can play G and T.

Speaking of Anderson, I like him, but I think he may be a year away from being able to contribute. Needs to work on his footwork and trim down a little, which would improve his quickness.

Whats with people wanting Castonzo to protect Lucks blindside the guy gave up 7.50 sacks last year

Ijalana is smaller, not as good at pass blocking, and has no experience playing LT in the pros or Division I. I'd rather have Castonzo with a year of experience at the spot than Ijalana, where he'd go through the same rookie growing pains there that Castonzo did. If Castonzo still struggles this year, I could see him being switched to the right side, but as of now he's still the best option we have at LT.

But hey, if there's a competition and Ijalana wins it, the spot's his. I just want the best 5 starting and for them to play better than last year.

Ijalana is smaller, not as good at pass blocking, and has no experience playing LT in the pros or Division I. I'd rather have Castonzo with a year of experience at the spot than Ijalana, where he'd go through the same rookie growing pains there that Castonzo did. If Castonzo still struggles this year, I could see him being switched to the right side, but as of now he's still the best option we have at LT.

But hey, if there's a competition and Ijalana wins it, the spot's his. I just want the best 5 starting and for them to play better than last year.

I agree I just want Luck upright

Allowing 7.5 sacks as a rookie LT isn't great, but it's not as bad as it looks. It's less than Tyron Smith gave up, as well as Saffold (who alot of people wanted us to pick 2 years ago), Donald Penn (who made the Pro Bowl last year), D'brickashaw Ferguson, and Ryan Clady, among others. Granted Castonzo missed the last few games, but his numbers would've still been in the same range as those guys who, with the exception of Saffold, are established left tackles.

So, it's not the end of the end of the world. And I fully expect him to have a better 2012 as well.

Allowing 7.5 sacks as a rookie LT isn't great, but it's not as bad as it looks. It's less than Tyron Smith gave up, as well as Saffold (who alot of people wanted us to pick 2 years ago), Donald Penn (who made the Pro Bowl last year), D'brickashaw Ferguson, and Ryan Clady, among others. Granted Castonzo missed the last few games, but his numbers would've still been in the same range as those guys who, with the exception of Saffold, are established left tackles.

So, it's not the end of the end of the world. And I fully expect him to have a better 2012 as well.

he probably will, I hope he developes more of a mean streak, he seemed to lack that last year, thats what I hope Satelle brings

Im not sure I want Castonzo protecting Lucks blindside , I would go LT-Ijalana, LG-Hicks, C-Satele, RG-Reitz, RT-Castonzo

So you would rather use a guy who played LT in the NFL for about one quarter before blowing out his knee? He wasn"t good enough to beat out Link for a starting job at that point. Most experts Ive read feel castanzo was solid for a rookie and remember he played injured a lot too. Everybody remembers Suggs killing him in the Ravens game but they forget that he could barely walk and practice at that point due to ankle. Its tough to stop speed rushers when you can't move pain free. If Ben nails down a starting RT or guard job then the line will begin to take shape for the future. Castanzo LT, Guy from Raiders C, Ben G or T for years to come. Good start

So you would rather use a guy who played LT in the NFL for about one quarter before blowing out his knee? He wasn"t good enough to beat out Link for a starting job at that point. Most experts Ive read feel castanzo was solid for a rookie and remember he played injured a lot too. Everybody remembers Suggs killing him in the Ravens game but they forget that he could barely walk and practice at that point due to ankle. Its tough to stop speed rushers when you can't move pain free. If Ben nails down a starting RT or guard job then the line will begin to take shape for the future. Castanzo LT, Guy from Raiders C, Ben G or T for years to come. Good start

costanzo satele and mcglynn are locks to start along with ijalana if healthy. one spot up for grabs, maybe two.

The other thing you have to remeber about Costonzo is that he had no off season work and had 0 continuety with the O line unit as a whole. That combined with the fact that he was a rookie playing with an anckle injury tells me that we should see a lot of improvement in him this year.

Im not sure I want Castonzo protecting Lucks blindside , I would go LT-Ijalana, LG-Hicks, C-Satele, RG-Reitz, RT-Castonzo

We don't even know if Ijalana can play at this level yet. He lasted about a quarter before getting hurt. Castonzo is no Glenn, but he shows promise. I like Hicks size but I really don't know much about him. Isn't he a dark horse to even make the team?

We don't even know if Ijalana can play at this level yet. He lasted about a quarter before getting hurt. Castonzo is no Glenn, but he shows promise. I like Hicks size but I really don't know much about him. Isn't he a dark horse to even make the team?

at this point all of our Guards may be dark horses to make the team lol

How about our O-Line?

Castanzo looked a little lanky to me but he was Highly rated for overall talent. No reason he won`t improve over the next couple seasons and be a Very Solid tackle.

Joe Reitz. I thought he looked pretty athletic. He put on 50 lbs after BB to give himself an NFL body. This kid might surprise us how good he gets, maybe a starter, hopefully a solid backup at least.

Mike McGlynn- I think he was brought here to be a starter. Still a young player who has started on top 5 rushing attacks. He came here to be a starter.

He may also be our 2nd Center.

Samson Satelle- 74 Career starts and still 27. Solid run blocker. not bad for Re-b........ ;- )

Ben Ijalana- For a Rookie, I thought he looked like he could be Top Notch as a RT. Drafted to be a Guard. I thought he moved very well at LT for the moment he replaced Castonzo. When he gets healthy he will be Rock Solid wherever THEY put him. I think the hope is a Starting guard this season, hoping that Justice stays healthy and plays well. If Justice performs, a new contract may await.

Winston Justice- Projected Starter at RT

Considered a bust as a 2nd rd Philliy pick drafted to play LT.

Until 2009 when: He was moved to RT

"I don't know what got in to Justice, but he was an absolute beast in the run game. By far his best performance of the season in that area, and I don't even think it's close. Great block on Vick’s 34-yard run and several others, including McCoy's 3rd-and-1 conversion in the third. Not just adequate. He was taking guys to the ground. In the pass game, he was solid as usual. Really one of the great stories on this team this season."

He got a new 4 year contract in 2009.

Battled some knee problems since. A younger, cheaper guy came along and we picked him up from Philly. Grigson has to know what he has here,

We can hope he is healthy. He came cheap, he could be a nice asset. I expect Ijalana to be his backup when Healthy.

So this is 6 guys i feel pretty good about. Hope they stay healthy.

GL to the staff developing 3-4 more for this season. I could certainly see them picking up a veteran or two over the summer.

Our 6th Lineman, I would expect TE Eldridge to continue improving, his best days should be ahead.

I do think Andrew is mentall preparing himself to get rid of the ball QUICKLY! :thmup: Go Colts!!

How about our O-Line?

Castanzo looked a little lanky to me but he was Highly rated for overall talent. No reason he won`t improve over the next couple seasons and be a Very Solid tackle.

Joe Reitz. I thought he looked pretty athletic. He put on 50 lbs after BB to give himself an NFL body. This kid might surprise us how good he gets, maybe a starter, hopefully a solid backup at least.

Mike McGlynn- I think he was brought here to be a starter. Still a young player who has started on top 5 rushing attacks. He came here to be a starter.

He may also be our 2nd Center.

Samson Satelle- 74 Career starts and still 27. Solid run blocker. not bad for Re-b........ ;- )

Ben Ijalana- For a Rookie, I thought he looked like he could be Top Notch as a RT. Drafted to be a Guard. I thought he moved very well at LT for the moment he replaced Castonzo. When he gets healthy he will be Rock Solid wherever THEY put him. I think the hope is a Starting guard this season, hoping that Justice stays healthy and plays well. If Justice performs, a new contract may await.

Winston Justice- Projected Starter at RT

Considered a bust as a 2nd rd Philliy pick drafted to play LT.

Until 2009 when: He was moved to RT

"I don't know what got in to Justice, but he was an absolute beast in the run game. By far his best performance of the season in that area, and I don't even think it's close. Great block on Vick’s 34-yard run and several others, including McCoy's 3rd-and-1 conversion in the third. Not just adequate. He was taking guys to the ground. In the pass game, he was solid as usual. Really one of the great stories on this team this season."

He got a new 4 year contract in 2009.

Battled some knee problems since. A younger, cheaper guy came along and we picked him up from Philly. Grigson has to know what he has here,

We can hope he is healthy. He came cheap, he could be a nice asset. I expect Ijalana to be his backup when Healthy.

So this is 6 guys i feel pretty good about. Hope they stay healthy.

GL to the staff developing 3-4 more for this season. I could certainly see them picking up a veteran or two over the summer.

Our 6th Lineman, I would expect TE Eldridge to continue improving, his best days should be ahead.

I do think Andrew is mentall preparing himself to get rid of the ball QUICKLY! :thmup: Go Colts!!

no offense, but you mad bro. Justice got benched, Herremans is their RT and i got family who are big eagles fans... they all told me ..there is a reason why you got Justice for a bag of donuts, he sucks.

but I do agree about Castnozo, Satelle, Reitz. I just dont thrust Justice.

and why does everyone think Mcglyn is a "lock"?

no offense, but you mad bro. Justice got benched, Herremans is their RT and i got family who are big eagles fans... they all told me ..there is a reason why you got Justice for a bag of donuts, he sucks.

So many think McGlynn is a lock because he comes from another team and that makes him automatically better than anyone on the Colts roster.

AC is the LT, Satelle is the Center (I really like Satelle, he has great technique, very smart, good quickness off the snap and strong enough to handle most DTs one on one even though he's not overly powerful.) I think Tepper/McGlynn/Justice and Reitz are going to be battling it out for the 2 guard spots. I could see Tepper even winning the RG spot unless Ijalana is not recovered as mentioned above.

Many have him penciled in at guard because he was the #3 guard in the draft coming out of Villanova. The opening in the line was at tackle that's why the colts plugged him there in the season but he's naturally a guard. But Bill Polians said he is a tackle not a guard so I don't know I just say he is versatile to play both spots which is a luxury to have

I believe it was the other way around. Ijalana started at LT all 4 years in college. Polian wanted him at G because he had drafted Costanzo for LT.Maybe Ijalana-LT, Anderson-LG, Satele-C, Justice-RG,Costanzo-RT is the best for this group. Still like training Hayworth Hicks as a C because he was a beast at RG in college and asked to move to C.

Lets try a different variation.

He was a tackle in college, not a guard. He was drafted to be a tackle for the Colts - which means that's where Polian wanted him. Some people conjectured that the Colts might move him to guard, to which Polian responded by reiterating that he was a tackle. This year people are once again conjecturing that he will be moved to guard because the Colts picked up Justice from Philly, where he was a tackle -and since Grigson came from Philly, he "must be" his preferred choice to start at that position. I think that we are going to have to wait until training camp to sort this out. I suspect that the FO is just throwing bodies at the situation at this point.

Also bear in mind that Ijalina was more of a development player because of having gone to a lower level school, and that he is coming off an injury. I have no reason to believe that he will be moved to guard, but he may not be ready to start at tackle either. In the meantime I have no reason to believe that Justice will be a significant upgrade. He was rejected in Philly despite their having significant offensive line problems of their own. Grigson grabbing him bothers me a bit, and could be a defining moment for him. Did he take him despite the fact that many think he is lousy because "he's one of my guys, and I'm going to prove the world wrong", or is he actually a solid player, and Grigson is a step ahead of the Eagles FO. If Justice becomes a solid starter an any position, OR if he flames out badly it will say a lot about Grigson. However I think it is more likely that he does nothing special one way or another, and is just "there" for a year or two until pushed out by better players.

Lets try a different variation.

He was a tackle in college, not a guard. He was drafted to be a tackle for the Colts - which means that's where Polian wanted him. Some people conjectured that the Colts might move him to guard, to which Polian responded by reiterating that he was a tackle. This year people are once again conjecturing that he will be moved to guard because the Colts picked up Justice from Philly, where he was a tackle -and since Grigson came from Philly, he "must be" his preferred choice to start at that position. I think that we are going to have to wait until training camp to sort this out. I suspect that the FO is just throwing bodies at the situation at this point.

Also bear in mind that Ijalina was more of a development player because of having gone to a lower level school, and that he is coming off an injury. I have no reason to believe that he will be moved to guard, but he may not be ready to start at tackle either. In the meantime I have no reason to believe that Justice will be a significant upgrade. He was rejected in Philly despite their having significant offensive line problems of their own. Grigson grabbing him bothers me a bit, and could be a defining moment for him. Did he take him despite the fact that many think he is lousy because "he's one of my guys, and I'm going to prove the world wrong", or is he actually a solid player, and Grigson is a step ahead of the Eagles FO. If Justice becomes a solid starter an any position, OR if he flames out badly it will say a lot about Grigson. However I think it is more likely that he does nothing special one way or another, and is just "there" for a year or two until pushed out by better players.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do want to point out (and this is only my opinion and supposition of the reason why Justice was brought in) I think it was a) because he's better than Linkenbach so he will be adequate depth for a year and/or b) If Ijalana is not fully recovered or just not ready to make the jump to full time starter, then there is a veteran in the mix for competing for a starting spot. Again they signed him to a one year contract, they are giving him a chance to prove himself to a new staff and that is it.

mcglynn is the only guy on the line who is a grigson guy. he scouted him for philly. no shock that grigson pursued him early on in free agency.

heck, none of us know, and the injury factor will always show something. i'll still go with:

LT castonzo, the most athletic and best feet

LG mcglynn, coming out of pitt who always produce great linemen

C shipley, great leverage and strength

RG olsen, an interior mauler, iowa guys always tough

RT justice, great size, wingspan, usc product who was let go due to cap problems

I think the line will look like this

Satele - LT - His hair is too long to be a center it will fly up in Luck's face and prevent him from doing his presnap reads.

McGlynn - LG - He's a Grigson guy and should be penciled in at this spot.

AC - Center - This way we have East coast at Center and West coast and QB. The symbolism of coast to coast (endzone to endzone) is a recipe for success.

McGlynn - RG - He's a Grigson guy so yes, he is that good to start at both guard spots.

Linkebach - RT - Because Linkenbach is a municipality in Germany. Pagano is Italian The two countries are teaming up like it's 1940.

heck, none of us know, and the injury factor will always show something. i'll still go with:

LT castonzo, the most athletic and best feet

LG mcglynn, coming out of pitt who always produce great linemen

C shipley, great leverage and strength

RG olsen, an interior mauler, iowa guys always tough

RT justice, great size, wingspan, usc product who was let go due to cap problems

It would be something if Shipley even makes the team, let alone starts.

• 2 months later...

LT- Castonzo... LG- McGlynn... C-Steele... RG- Link?... RT- Justice...

Assuming Grigson prefers his guys. Although I would prefer to think that the best man for the job will win it in camp. What about Ijalana if he is healthy? Does Link make starter at guard or tackle? Or neither? Does anyone think Reitz will be back?

I know its prob way too early to take fan guesses at the depth chart but its fun to do. If our O-line somehow became a strength we might hear "reloading" more than "rebuilding" this season.

Looks like I called it.. with McGlynn and Link reversed of course

Looks like I called it.. with McGlynn and Link reversed of course

Are you talking about the group that started this game or the group you expect to start vs. the Bears? Either way, I'm not sure your projection looks very good as it doesn't include Reitz. Link played a lot of RT today with the second unit.

Actually Reitz started.....and McGlynn was benched after the second series for Olsen, who looked significantly better.

I don't think anyone guessed Olsen at RG.

I wouldn't assume McGlynn was benched - he has a sprained ankle. I saw the right side cave in also, but McGlynn will probably be given more opportunities if healthy.

Ahhh. I didn't know that. I never wish ill upon players, but I gotta throw out a good-riddance. Olsen should be RG.

OK. I don't have a dog in this fight, but discarding all the practice time and off-season data that brought us to this point on the conclusion of a couple of series in a practice game? If Olsen is the guy, then good for him....but based on what?

OK. I don't have a dog in this fight, but discarding all the practice time and off-season data that brought us to this point on the conclusion of a couple of series in a practice game? If Olsen is the guy, then good for him....but based on what?

Based on the fact that he kicked McGlynn's *. Plus the fact that McGlynn has not been very good in any of his previous outings with the Bengals or Eagles.