Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Drew Coleman

HtownColt

So the Jaguars released CB Drew Coleman today played for the jets years before the one year for the jags. He will be good as a nickel corner for us and provide some veteran leadership in the cb group. Colts should really take a look at this guy

Jax had one of the worst pass defenses last year and they let him go, what does that tell you?

jaguars ranked 6th in total defense, 8th in pass defense, and 9th in rush defense so idk what you are talking about sir didn't know top 10 in every defensive category was a bad thing

jaguars ranked 6th in total defense, 8th in pass defense, and 9th in rush defense so idk what you are talking about sir didn't know top 10 in every defensive category was a bad thing

I don't like the yardage stats for measuring a defense. But their other stats aren't all that bad. I think they're worse one is completion % against, at 63.5%, which is horrible (ours was 71.2%, so go figure), but they did that behind a defensive front that only forced 31 sacks (we had 29). All in all, I'd say they were slightly below average in pass defense, according to all the numbers.

I don't like the yardage stats for measuring a defense. But their other stats aren't all that bad. I think they're worse one is completion % against, at 63.5%, which is horrible (ours was 71.2%, so go figure), but they did that behind a defensive front that only forced 31 sacks (we had 29). All in all, I'd say they were slightly below average in pass defense, according to all the numbers.

like i said never knew having a top 10 defense was a bad thing. they only gave up 208 passing yards a game

It is strange how defenses are rated by yards allowed and games are decided by points. It can create some misinformed opinions. If a defense lets teams run up and down the field on them but holds them to a FG, that will win games while having a pish poor ranking.

It is strange how defenses are rated by yards allowed and games are decided by points. It can create some misinformed opinions. If a defense lets teams run up and down the field on them but holds them to a FG, that will win games while having a pish poor ranking.

what else pass defense is based on except yards..even the jags are 6th in total defense which factor in everything..only reason jags were so bad is because they had the worst(32nd) offense in the league

what else pass defense is based on except yards..even the jags are 6th in total defense which factor in everything..only reason jags were so bad is because they had the worst(32nd) offense in the league

The Colts had several years where they were top 10 in pass defense, but it had more to do with the idea that teams could run all day, so nobody had to test the pass D much. It didn't mean we were teh awesomenest at stopping the pass. Sometimes rankings can be deceiving... I'm not disagreeing, I'm just sayin'.

Usually I wonder why some people would want us to sign released corners, especially from our division. I always got the impression that the CBs in the afc south sucked, mainly because Peyton would usually carve every team we face in our division atleast once. But hey thats the kind of mindset you get when Peyton was your QB the last 14 years... Though we desperately need corners and bringing in a veteran wouldnt hurt.

he's a nickel corner which we desperately need

Nickel Corner is what we need? :omg: , its hasnt been proven yet that we have any starting Corners (which I am trying to be optimistic that will change) but at the same time what we need is a number one Corner

The Colts had several years where they were top 10 in pass defense, but it had more to do with the idea that teams could run all day, so nobody had to test the pass D much. It didn't mean we were teh awesomenest at stopping the pass. Sometimes rankings can be deceiving... I'm not disagreeing, I'm just sayin'.

they were ranked 9th in rush defense as well..that defense was good all around and was a legitimate top 10 defense with the worst offense in the league

like i said never knew having a top 10 defense was a bad thing. they only gave up 208 passing yards a game

All I'm saying is that yardage isn't the be-all/end-all to defensive rankings. If you want to look at it that way, be my guest. I think taking all the relevant stats into consideration paints a more complete picture.

All I'm saying is that yardage isn't the be-all/end-all to defensive rankings. If you want to look at it that way, be my guest. I think taking all the relevant stats into consideration paints a more complete picture.

it is when your talking about pass defense

No it isn't.

you wanna go into situational stats which is a whole different category to break down..at the end of the day Jags got a top 10 defense you can ask mel kiper, john gruden, adam shefter, anybody on espn and they will say the same thing its just they got overlooked because of their horendous offense

theres turnovers and points given up although it is very frustrating to watch a team march right down the field on you repeatedly

exactly and thats why the jags defense were always put in a bind everytime they touched the field now i hate the jags but im not going to be blind at the fact that there defense was legit last year

I think a large part of that was scheme dropping your linebackers back in coverage and your Corners 8-10-12 yards off the wide receiver is never good, that doesnt mean I dont think we need a shutdown Corner cause I don't think we have anything close to that in our Corners , but when you have undersized defensive tackles playing against huge O-linemen with very little space between the two that's never good. I look for the Corner play to be better but Im still going for a shutdown Corner either in the draft or Free Agency

you wanna go into situational stats which is a whole different category to break down..at the end of the day Jags got a top 10 defense you can ask mel kiper, john gruden, adam shefter, anybody on espn and they will say the same thing its just they got overlooked because of their horendous offense

exactly and thats why the jags defense were always put in a bind everytime they touched the field now i hate the jags but im not going to be blind at the fact that there defense was legit last year

I'm not trying to denigrate the Jags defense. I'm just saying that evaluating a pass defense is more than just yardage.

Prime example: The Chargers gave up 224.4 passing yards per game, allowing 29 passing touchdowns and 62.6% completions, and forcing 17 interceptions. The Niners gave up 230.9 passing yards per game, allowing 20 passing touchdowns and 57.5% completions, and forcing 23 interceptions. The Chargers were 13th in passing yards, and the Niners were 16th. But the Niners were, far and away, the better pass defense. And these aren't situational stats, which favor the Niners even more (the Chargers were last in the league on 3rd down, etc).

By the way, the Colts gave up fewer passing yards than the Niners, also.

I still find it odd that a team can have the worse defense in the league, yet win every game, and they can have the best defense in the league and lose every game. I like ranking defenses by points allowed. After all, points are what decides a game.

I say we stick with what we got because what we need isnt another number two or nickel or whatever. we need a number 1 shutdown Corner and we may be able to get that in the draft, we wont get that in free agency this year

I'm not trying to denigrate the Jags defense. I'm just saying that evaluating a pass defense is more than just yardage.

Prime example: The Chargers gave up 224.4 passing yards per game, allowing 29 passing touchdowns and 62.6% completions, and forcing 17 interceptions. The Niners gave up 230.9 passing yards per game, allowing 20 passing touchdowns and 57.5% completions, and forcing 23 interceptions. The Chargers were 13th in passing yards, and the Niners were 16th. But the Niners were, far and away, the better pass defense. And these aren't situational stats, which favor the Niners even more (the Chargers were last in the league on 3rd down, etc).

By the way, the Colts gave up fewer passing yards than the Niners, also.

no they wasnt the 49ers bread and butter was their rush defense where they didnt allow 100yrd game til like week 14 or something like that

I say we stick with what we got because what we need isnt another number two or nickel or whatever. we need a number 1 shutdown Corner and we may be able to get that in the draft, we wont get that in free agency this year

the ravens cbs were webb, and jimmy smith. i think we'll be fine

all much better then ours, Jimmy is a pretty dang good Corner

every time i watched jimmy he got burned, but he was rookie so its expected, but back to the point im trying to make you dont need a shut down corner for pagano's defense. the cover nobody is gone. our corners will be more aggressive and our defense will be unleashed instead of being kept in a cage.

every time i watched jimmy he got burned, but he was rookie so its expected, but back to the point im trying to make you dont need a shut down corner for pagano's defense. the cover nobody is gone. our corners will be more aggressive and our defense will be unleashed instead of being kept in a cage.

you dont think we will need a shutdown corner to cover Mike Wallace? Calvin Johnson? Andre Johnson? Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings? Brandon Marshall? Justin Blackmon?

you dont think we will need a shutdown corner to cover Mike Wallace? Calvin Johnson? Andre Johnson? Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings? Brandon Marshall? Justin Blackmon?

im saying give our corners time to see what they can do when their not being held back