Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Make Chandler Harnish (QB) Mr. Irrelevant

Andy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy with this draft, a few oddities toward the end aside, great draft.

Cursory grade A

You are possibly the most positive and good spirited fan. I always like most of your posts, I just don't see this as an A grade.

Forget Andrew Luck and Fleener.

If you look at the rest of the draft the grade is like D lol

You are possibly the most positive and good spirited fan. I always like most of your posts, I just don't see this as an A grade.

Impossible to know that

No way this was an A draft .... B- is generous

I don't really know how we can grade a draft before anyone plays but on paper I think this was a good draft. We addressed needs. Maybe not as many on defense as people would have liked but we hard far more needson offense all. Also when you look at the make up of our team we have players who can play the holes on defense. No they wont be world beaters but they are guys who can do the job for a year till we can get better players at their poistions. We didn't have that on offense. In most cases on offense we just didn't have the bodies at all. We needed help there in a big way and we did that. That speaks to the fact we had more holes than we could fill in one draft. We put players in place to grow up around our new rookie QB. So for now it looks good now comes the next and far more important step seeing if these players are as good on the field as they looked on paper.

Did Kellen Moore go undrafted? If so are you telling me this guy is better than Kellen Moore?

Moore has the mind of a QB, but is terrible when it comes to his athleticism and is arm strength is terrible. All he has is his accuracy and a mind of a QB.

Harnish has the arm strength of a NFL QB, great athletically, very experienced (like Moore), and played on a worse team.

Harnish > Moore.

I gave it a "cursory" grade of A

This is based on a lack of confusion by way of sticking to a directive. The offense is set for many years to come. This was done by picking 6 of the first 7 players as offensive weapons.

The mistake many teams make when they rebuild is they try to slap band-aids on every wound and end up bleeding out for years and years and years. We are set to have an exciting year, come back in 2013 and drop the same draft skills on the defensive side of the ball.

Your first 4 picks are the most crucial. By my estimation, we knocked them out the park.

Moore has the mind of a QB, but is terrible when it comes to his athleticism and is arm strength is terrible. All he has is his accuracy and a mind of a QB.

Harnish has the arm strength of a NFL QB, great athletically, very experienced (like Moore), and played on a worse team.

Harnish > Moore.

I also think there were some real questions about Moore's height, at least that is what the gang on ESPN kept saying.

Your first 4 picks are the most crucial. By my estimation, we knocked them out the park.

I agree on the first 4 picks having great upside. I do not agree with the fact that by going for D over O for pick No.3 or pick No.4, we could not have addressed O in a WR deep draft. We just have to see how it translates to the field.

Now it is all up to coaching, which we felt we were getting an upgrade to.

I also think there were some real questions about Moore's height, at least that is what the gang on ESPN kept saying.

That too, but I think people were blowing that out of proportion. It obviously doesn't help, but Brees and many others manage to have successful careers.

He also has real good speed and he is very experienced. Pretty good pick looking at it.

This means the Colts did not take one CB in the draft.

Reading his info seems like he has had a lot of injuries , maybe bringing in insurance to see if other two backups work out. Still think it was a strange pick, could have irrelavance at another position.

That too, but I think people were blowing that out of proportion. It obviously doesn't help, but Brees and many others manage to have successful careers.

Right, but if you can pick between two guys who are similar on talent and one is "short" for his poistion you are going to take the one who isn't short for his poistion.

Right, but if you can pick between two guys who are similar on talent and one is "short" for his poistion you are going to take the one who isn't short for his poistion.

Well obviously... You can also put it as "similar on talent, and one is much more athletic than the other"

The Packers did in 2008 when they had Brohm and Flynn on the roster. It happens more than you think. The Redskins will have 2 rookies this year.

It may make some sense when you have a veteran starter who takes all the reps, like Favre did. It makes no sense when your starter is a rookie. If anything happens to him (God forbid), you want your veteran backup to fill in.

I think they wanted to have another arm in camp and they already have the rest of the roster decided with UDFA's they're going to target.

It may make some sense when you have a veteran starter who takes all the reps, like Favre did. It makes no sense when your starter is a rookie. If anything happens to him (God forbid), you want your veteran backup to fill in.

I think they wanted to have another arm in camp and they already have the rest of the roster decided with UDFA's they're going to target.

I don't think they would draft him just for him to become "another arm in camp". They drafted him because they think he could get a spot on this roster. If they didn't think that, they would not have drafted him. Plain and simple.

Well obviously... You can also put it as "similar on talent, and one is much more athletic than the other"

That's what you had here though, two guys who were late round talent at best, I am sure height played a role in why Harnish got drafted and Moore didn't. Was it the only factor? Not saying that.

I don't think they would draft him just for him to become "another arm in camp". They drafted him because they think he could get a spot on this roster. If they didn't think that, they would not have drafted him. Plain and simple.

Sorry Andy, I couldn't disagree more. But time will tell!

Sorry Andy, I couldn't disagree more. But time will tell!

I agree with you. Not when the #2 vet has had NFL start experience. My gut says both Chandler and Trevor compete for the #3 spot, both are cut from the team and one is signed to PS. I personally would have the roster spots for extra DBs or LBs and/or ST contributors (unless Chandler or Trevor play ST :)). Just my opinion!!!

That's what you had here though, two guys who were late round talent at best, I am sure height played a role in why Harnish got drafted and Moore didn't. Was it the only factor? Not saying that.

Point is, we agree!

This was a stupid pick!

Last pick of the draft is probably a wasted pick anyways, but why the heck would you waste it on a guy who will never ever do anything...EVER?!!

We came away from the draft with NO DBs! wth? Did Grigson and Pagano not watch the hot garbage that was our secondary last year? Blow the last pick on a DB...ANY DB!

Harnish > Moore.

I just read on a scouting site that Harnish has limited arm strength. He was rated 10th best QB though and Moore was 12th. Still find it odd that Moore was not drafted when they were REALLY touting this kid on ESPN a couple of months ago.

Maybe they plan to use Harnish in another role. Although I'm not suggesting that there are many parallels, Randle El did well under Arians in Pittsburgh as a non-QB. An athlete is an athlete, plain and simple. I've read that he did play S at a high level just 4 years ago.

Just a thought..

So why did they draft him?

I already gave my opinion, they liked his arm for TC. I could be wrong but I just don't see why we'd waste a roster spot on a #3 rookie QB. Maybe PS.

BTW, is it true that the NFL is considering changing the TC roster limit to 90? If so, then we'll need more camp fodder.

I already gave my opinion, they liked his arm for TC. I could be wrong but I just don't see why we'd waste a roster spot on a #3 rookie QB. Maybe PS.

BTW, is it true that the NFL is considering changing the TC roster limit to 90? If so, then we'll need more camp fodder.

That's your opinion, I have mine. We'll see what happens. Can't really argue over it now :)

They did change it to 90.

gonna make a duh kind of prediction here but Harnish wont be on the roster come the start of the season, whats that mean? waste of a pick,, heck bring back Polian at least he drafted defensive players and tried to get needs even if they didnt work out and were undersized

Look at some film before writing him completely off. He's not exactly a scrub. MVP of the MAC in 2011; 26 TD's w 5 int; 11 rushing TD's. He comes from a spread option system so probably not as pro ready but he has better mobility than even Luck does. Not bad for a possible back up prospect. Don't know if I would have used the draft pick on him but obviously the Colts brass saw something there they liked.