Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Everyone have a good week. For my mental health I just have to stay away from this board for awhile. 

I think it’s best to just read through this board and accept that people have different opinions about why we stink right now. “Like” the posts you agree with, and just keep it moving with the ones you don’t. No one is changing anyone’s mind on this forum no matter how much you argue. It’s just football, don’t let it get you worked up. We are all disappointed when the Colts lose and, even though we all argue like one big dysfunctional family, that’s what draws us together. The desire to see the Colts succeed.

Have a good week, productively place your energy into the more important things in life that need it. I’m pretty sure we all have more important things going on than the Colts losing. But I definitely understand everyone’s frustration and the different areas being targeted at fault. We will see better days one day Colts family!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You were not clear. 

If you would have told me Anthony Richardson was going to throw 32 times when we were running 6 ypc, I would tell you we would lose. Almost guaranteed. It’s awful. 

add in holding the Texans to 23 points, it’s even worse. Worse than awful. 

Let me put it this way, 40 percent of all JTs runs were for 1, 0, or negative yards. Expand that out to include 2 yard runs and it’s 50/50 he was getting 2 yards or less (including negative yards).

This is the issue with stat lines. They don’t include the actual flow of the game.

• Like 1

Not too hot, not too cold. Right where we belong at that Room Temperature hot dog water 🤗

Can't wait to finish 9-8 probably losing 1 our last games, which will be a win and in situation. Hey maybe it'll be at the giants where I'll be in person freezing probably 😂

But I like our guys too. Onto Minnesota where the own the NFLs largest comeback in history record.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think AR has been good enough and he needs to do better. I've said so multiple times. But people are placing too much blame on a rookie QB, when our HC doesn't playcall to help him, our WRs aren't catching balls (or causing untimely penalties) and our TEs are non-existent. The supporting cast aren't supporting. Yes AR needs to do waaay better, but the whole offense is failing, not just AR.

There is this notion that rookie QBs tend to be bad, and that’s true. But he isn’t normal rookie QB bad. He is 3rd string UDFA small school QB bad. Also the criticism is fair because he’s the starter 

Also TEs are not a necessity in the NFL. Not every offense requires the TE’s to contribute in the passing game. Most NFL teams have poor TEs. Again, that’s another excuse. When he put up those big yards week 1 no one said “Man he put up 300 yards without an elite TE!!”. 

Also the offense is not failing. Steichen and AR are the issues. JT is fine, and several outlets have the OL as a top 10 pass blocking unit. Downs and Pittman flourished when Flacco played. Pierce is what he is, and A.D. is a rookie.

Our WRs aren’t dropping an inordinate amount of passes. It’s just that they get magnified when they do because you know AR is going to miss throws on his own, so every dropped pass matters more than it should. 

3 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I think it’s best to just read through this board and accept that people have different opinions about why we stink right now. “Like” the posts you agree with, and just keep it moving with the ones you don’t. No one is changing anyone’s mind on this forum no matter how much you argue. It’s just football, don’t let it get you worked up. We are all disappointed when the Colts lose and, even though we all argue like one big dysfunctional family, that’s what draws us together. The desire to see the Colts succeed.

Have a good week, productively place your energy into the more important things in life that need it. I’m pretty sure we all have more important things going on than the Colts losing. But I definitely understand everyone’s frustration and the different areas being targeted at fault. We will see better days one day Colts family!

It's actually crazy the amount of times I see people get called out/made fun of for opinions on this forum. Lol that's the point of this place. Why would I vent to my co-workers who are just gonna laugh at me tomorrow for ARs completion percentage? People got live and let live here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Let me put it this way, 40 percent of all JTs runs were for 10, or negative yards. Expand that out to include 2 yard runs and it’s 50/50 he was getting 2 yards or less (including negative yards).

This is the issue with stat lines. They don’t include the actual flow of the game.

But this is true more often than not of any NFL game. Many rushes are for little or no gain, no matter who the back is. Today Mixon had 25 carries. 13 of those carries were for 2yds or less. Half of those were negative yds.

8 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Well said. The negativity can takes its toll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

First AR looked awful in every aspect.'

Their first third down conversion came at 9:55 in the fourth quarter.

Kelly was called three times for motion.

They really blew this game especially AR's INT at the end of the first half resulting in a Texans TD.

Now their next few games will all be bad news. But the 1-6 Browns beat the Ravens so anything is possible!!

Kelly didn't have a penalty all day

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If their hands are outstretched,   body catching isn't an option.   

Body catching can also have the hands outstretched if you don’t come a little back towards the ball and attack it.

Mallory - he didn’t attack the ball, they just thought their usual stretching of hands would get the job done. If they came back with their hands a little more, good chance they come down with it with a little more catch radius.

They didn’t have their full catch radius on display during those PBUs. Maybe they thought the ball would get there faster but they could help too, IMO.

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Let me put it this way, 40 percent of all JTs runs were for 1, 0, or negative yards. Expand that out to include 2 yard runs and it’s 50/50 he was getting 2 yards or less (including negative yards).

Ok, and here's the problem with your stat line- they also don't include the flow of the game. What did the other 50% look like- you have it right? You took the time to break out the small gains, what were the other half of the equation? What were the situations we could have used the other half of that equation? 2 for 13 third down conversions... How many of those were 3rd and long because we came out firing? 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Lol. I'm fairly confident there are plenty on this forum that don't want to see the Colts succeed. I mean, they've literally stated it again and again. 

It’s more like they don’t want AR to succeed. AR comes on the heels of picks like Luck and vets like Rivers, more known commodities. Even last year, Minshew did the heavy lifting.

Its a decade of futility without a division title and lost perspective from not having lived through the pre-Peyton days of the Colts. It’s not fair but that’s the likely reason. But if AR gives us 2 consecutive division titles in 2025 and 2026, all will be forgotten but there’s little patience nowadays

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

It’s more like they don’t want AR to succeed. AR comes on the heels of picks like Luck and vets like Rivers, more known commodities. Even last year, Minshew did the heavy lifting.

Its a decade of futility without a division title and lost perspective from not having lived through the pre-Peyton days of the Colts. It’s not fair but that’s the likely reason 

They don't want AR to succeed because they don't want Ballard to succeed. The list goes on and on until you realize that it's the entire team. They don't want the current Indianapolis Colts to succeed, and I'm willing to bet they won't want the next guy to either. It's beyond toxic around here. It has been for a while, but it's getting insufferable.

• Like 1

We can win with AR, but not trying to throw 42 times in a game. That's not what our identity should be.

Especially not at this stage of his career. Maybe later but not now.  Identity needs to be mostly run dominant between him and Taylor with a mix of play action, RPO, screens, crossing routes, quick hitch, reverses and other stuff that doesn't require a high degree of accuracy. Along with some deep shots and no more than 27 to 35 throws max.  I knew we were going to get in trouble the more I kept seeing us having AR throw back to back to back from shotgun formation.  He's not ready to be that one sided. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

There is this notion that rookie QBs tend to be bad, and that’s true. But he isn’t normal rookie QB bad. He is 3rd string UDFA small school QB bad. Also the criticism is fair because he’s the starter 

I don't think he's near as bad as haters want to make him out to be. You just want someone to blame and the rookie QB is the obvious target.

Also TEs are not a necessity in the NFL. Not every offense requires the TE’s to contribute in the passing game. Most NFL teams have poor TEs. Again, that’s another excuse. When he put up those big yards week 1 no one said “Man he put up 300 yards without an elite TE!!”. 

You'll be laughed out of the room if you tell a GM or coach that. Our TEs are basically not even in the passing game unless they block. Defenses key in on stuff like that and that makes the offense easier to defend.

I don't care how many yards AR puts up. I want the Colts to have a functioning offense with the limitations AR has at this point and  playing to his strengths!

Also the offense is not failing. Steichen and AR are the issues. JT is fine, and several outlets have the OL as a top 10 pass blocking unit. Downs and Pittman flourished when Flacco played. Pierce is what he is, and A.D. is a rookie.

Downs is the only WR reliably catching balls at this point. If he can why can't the rest?

And yes AR is failing, but holy hell what is Steichen even doing? Run the damn ball! Run AR! Call screen plays! Call quick first read passes! THEN you throw the bombs. Why are we constantly losing TOP when we should be running the ball down the opponents throats? Yes AR is limited at this point, but the whole offensive plan for this year is nothing less than a disaster! WHY are we passing more than running?! This should be an obvious 40/60 or even 33/66 split between passing and rushing at this point, but Steichen keeps coming out with 8 pass plays to 2 run plays?!?!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It’s more like they don’t want AR to succeed.

I agree. There are fans who stopped coming here when AR was drafted. They want him to fail. I think the fans would have been a lot more patient with Levis.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Its a decade of futility without a division title and lost perspective from not having lived through the pre-Peyton days of the Colts. It’s not fair but that’s the likely reason 

It's sad because you saw them coming out after AR's first bad game ever just to be at the head of the line to say 'i knew he was a bust, called it'. Pretty pathetic honestly. 

And folks who hope the team wins get trashed for being ignorant to AR's faults. I know I ain't dumb I know I see bad QB play but I'll keep rooting for him until he crashes and burns. 

Hopefully he improves, if not he'll eventually be replaced so I'm not stressed about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think he's near as bad as haters want to make him out to be. You just want someone to blame and the rookie QB is the obvious target.

You'll be laughed out of the room if you tell a GM or coach that. Our TEs are basically not even in the passing game unless they block. Defenses key in on stuff like that and that makes the offense easier to defend.

I don't care how many yards AR puts up. I want the Colts to have a functioning offense with the limitations AR has at this point and  playing to his strengths!

Downs is the only WR reliably catching balls at this point. If he can why can't the rest?

And yes AR is failing, but holy hell what is Steichen even doing? Run the damn ball! Run AR! Call screen plays! Call quick first read passes! THEN you throw the bombs. Why are we constantly losing TOP when we should be running the ball down the opponents throats? Yes AR is limited at this point, but the whole offensive plan for this year is nothing less than a disaster! WHY are we passing more than running?! This should be an obvious 40/60 or even 33/66 split between passing and rushing at this point, but Steichen keeps coming out with 8 pass plays to 2 run plays?!?!

Yep, time to go Tim Tebow style offense and hit the occasional 1-on-1s deep, not the other way around 

I don’t know if Steichen feels he’s going to get more fan buy in by making him a pocket passer or if he’s forcing AR to take lumps when he doesn’t need to be, not at this rate.

When was the last off season we didn’t have a new QB or a QB coming off rehab off an injury? 

2015??

• Like 2

Im surprised Steichen can't see that these game plans need to be more like Seattle was years ago with Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch. 

42 throws is not the right identity for this guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Teams are selling out to stop the run. They’re daring him to throw.

And we’ve said it multiple times now so I’m assuming you’re being willfully ignorant, QBs are given multiple route options. If it’s going deep, likely it’s cuz AR wants to. If he’s being only given one option, then AR is worse off than previously thought.

When you have JT and AR that shouldn’t work. Steichen is not taking advantage 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When you have JT and AR that shouldn’t work. Steichen is not taking advantage 

JT went for 100 yards so the loading the box thing definitely didn't work.  I agree!

In fact I think we didn't run AR enough in this one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Then you run more then 20 times 

Im agreeing with you.  Nobody is forcing or daring him to throw because our run game didn't get stopped in the first place. 

38 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

He's brutal to watch.  In the end, the NFL is a QB league.  No QB, no bueno.  Look no further than Bill Belichick without Brady...Penthouse to Outhouse by way of one position.  This isn't about Ballard or Steichen (yes, they have there own issues), this is about a young guy who we hoped would be better than his tape and live up to his measurables. 

To date, the tape didn't lie.

To your point, I like QB's to be boom or bust, this one looks like a bust...the good news is that leaves no doubt that we still need to go find a QB in the draft, our search is NOT over.  That's good to know!  We can't be prideful just because of his draft position. We only fail if we convince ourselves that our eyes and the stats are lying and we stop looking for our future QB.

At the same time, we have this kid for 4-5 years...I'm not sure what the rush is, he's still the youngest QB in the league.  Currently, we may be doing more damage than good (to him) by playing him, he seems to be regressing.  Maybe Jordan Love is more the model we should be following, Mahomes sat a year, sitting and developing is a perfectly reasonable idea.

I think we can still pull for the kid and admit he's struggling. Today was brutal, third down conversation rate, turnovers, completion percent, and game management grades out really low.  It's hard to believe we actually had a shot at the end.  We do have talent on this team. Yes, I'd start Flacco and let AR get some first team practice reps all the while work relentlessly on mechanics, accuracy, and knowledge.  We could even put some specific packages in for him so he can taste success. 

This is about how to develop a young QB with significant physical gifts and significant skill gaps.  It's also about the other 52 guys on the active roster...

AR basically sat for a year last year. What u r forgetting bout Love and Mahommes ia that they played a lot in college. I don't think AR learns anything else from sitting other than getting sores on his butt. He needs reps and I have said all  year that this will be ugly at times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s true though. Look at the data. Besides Bowers, most of the good TEs in the league are drafted in the 2nd round or later. They’re not valued as high by GMs and head coaches as they are by the media and fans. And again, he has 4 legitimate WRs. How many more pass catchers does he need? What is a TE going to do that one our receivers can’t? If your answer is blocking in the run game then you proved my point. 

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They do when Flacco plays. All of the issues with the receivers (not including AD who has legitimately struggled) only manifest when AR plays. I mean Pittman had his first and only 100 yard game of the season when Flacco started.

This theory that the receivers are failing is made up my Richardson apologists. It’s like you said, does it make sense that only Downs seems to be catching the ball reliably? Or is that just how it appears when AR plays? Go back and look at the WR numbers when Flacco played and come back to me.

• Like 1

I look at it like this. If a child that’s a star trumpet player, and they have a serious wrist injury and miss Summer Band Camp and the entire month of August, won’t you be setting them up failure if you trust them with the difficult solos they haven’t had as much time to practice with when competition time for Fall Marching Band comes around in October and November? The kid is going to say he or she can do it for the team, if you ask them.

But the Marching Band director’s job is to not put them in positions to fail, so if it means giving them a lesser role and not give solos and mask them in a group, that decision has to be made.

AR’s off season was flat out not normal enough to establish mechanics and chemistry, IMO. Just don’t make passing and 30 plus passes a staple of the offense. Do the same thing the Seahawks did with Lynch and use roll outs, easy completions but make the run game (QB/RB) the staple of the offense.  RW rarely passed more than 30 times 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Knock AR if you want, but in all honesty he actually made some great throws. The ball to Goodson was a TD, got dropped. The ball to Mitchell was a TD, but didn't get his feet in. The ball to Pierce was a TD, but was called back due to Pitt's OPI. Pitt had two drops. The oline didn't protect him. Not saying AR is not at fault, but there's blame all around not just AR

• Like 4

Just now, chad72 said:

AR’s off season was flat out not normal enough to establish mechanics and chemistry, IMO. Some don’t make passing and 30 plus passes a staple of the offense. Do the same thing the Seahawks did with Lynch and use roll outs, easy completions but make the run game (QB/RB) the staple of the offense.

That's the problem with Richardson.  I don't know what you do with him.  Normally, if a passer were struggling, you would employ a short passing game to get them in rhythm.  Richardson is a horrible short passer.  He’s better at 30 yards than he is at 5.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

"one of these things is not like the other." 

Wonder why?? Suspicious Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

The fans here were also tough on Wentz who I thought played better than what the fans gave him credit for. Sometimes fans get an opinion of someone and will not change that opinion regardless of how successful they are.

Just now, NFLfan said:

The fans here were also tough on Wentz who I think played better than what the fans gave him credit for. Sometimes fans get an opinion of someone and will not change that opinion regardless of how successful they are.

We were plenty tough on Matt Ryan too. 

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

That's the problem with Richardson.  I don't know what you do with him.  Normally, if a passer were struggling, you would employ a short passing game to get them in rhythm.  Richardson is a horrible short passer.  He’s better at 30 yards than he is at 5.  

Scheme some roll outs so he can see the field better at short distances. LaFleur, when he went from Rodgers to Love’s arm, adapted to calling more 20 yard plays than the 5-15 yard ones for Rodgers, the ones Love was better at but still didn’t overdo it without getting run support.

Its not what you call, it’s how frequently and when you call it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

There were 39 seconds left in the game when the colts ran the 3rd down play from their own 12 yard line. If they take a knee , Houston calls TO with at least 34 seconds left. Say the punt takes 8 seconds and nets 45 yards. Houston , who has a kicker that is accurate from over 50 would have 2 time outs and around 26 seconds . Ball would be around the Houston 45. Plenty of time to get into FG range for the hottest kicker in football. 

Did you see the score of the game? I would rather force them to drive the field to get in field goal position than give them 6. Either way given the time on the clock had they ran the ball several times the chances of Hou blowing their timeouts would have been very slim.

How many games are Colts gonna blow or almost blow with AR under center??? It's obvious the staff did not have much confidence in him especially today by how many times Taylor took the hand-off.  30% completion is absolutely horrible and embarrassing.  Plz plz plz bench him...Flacco has proved he can do better...last year  w Cinci...pretty much whole time at Baltimore...COME ON STRIECHER!!!!  Even Ehlinger has to be better. Sorry AR...maybe try FB position or something cuz yur not an NFL QB. #BENCH AR

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Knock AR if you want, but in all honesty he actually made some great throws. The ball to Goodson was a TD, got dropped. The ball to Mitchell was a TD, but didn't get his feet in. The ball to Pierce was a TD, but was called back due to Pitt's OPI. Pitt had two drops. The oline didn't protect him. Not saying AR is not at fault, but there's blame all around not just AR

OL was so bad today they gave up pressure on a Hailmary play with only 3 guys.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What is a TE going to do that one our receivers can’t? If your answer is blocking in the run game then you proved my point. 

In-line snap. Chip-block edge defender and split out to catch the ball. Fast, easy play which is what AR needs.

They do when Flacco plays. All of the issues with the receivers (not including AD who has legitimately struggled) only manifest when AR plays. I mean Pittman had his first and only 100 yard game of the season when Flacco started.

This theory that the receivers are failing is made up my Richardson apologists. It’s like you said, does it make sense that only Downs seems to be catching the ball reliably? Or is that just how it appears when AR plays? Go back and look at the WR numbers when Flacco played and come back to me.

Our WRs aren't catching balls that are right in their hands, man. Call it "ball placement" or "touch" or whatever you want. The ball is on them and if Flacco had made those passes and the WRs had caught then he'd be praised for touch and ball placement. It's nonsense and excuses made to hate on AR.

• Like 1