Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Scheme some roll outs so he can see the field better at short distances. LaFleur, when he went from Rodgers to Love’s arm, adapted to calling more 20 yard plays than the 5-15 yard ones for Rodgers, the ones Love was better at but still didn’t overdo it without getting run support 

Steichen needs to shake it up somehow, certainly.  

2 minutes ago, Indyitalian said:

Tired if Ballard putting mediocre teams out there. Definitely thinking twice about renewing my club seats. They need to start firing people at the end of this year or I just can’t continue justifying it. 

somebody else will take them buddy. That place is full of people there for the Instagram feed. If that’s how you feel, do it. But don’t think your club seat renewal is going to get somebody fired. That’s not why anyone is getting fired in Indianapolis. It’s just a non issue, especially for a .500 team. 

Anyone who Stix up for AR...no disrespect...has no clue wut they're talking about. AR has had his chance...quit embarrassing Indy. He didn't even have enuf sense to get out of bounds on that last run with like 25secs left...COME ON MAN!!!

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Did you see the score of the game? I would rather force them to drive the field to get in field goal position than give them 6. Either way given the time on the clock had they ran the ball several times the chances of Hou blowing their timeouts would have been very slim.

Absolutely. risk/reward. What was the reward on throwing there that running couldn’t accomplish? What was the risk of running? It was not the same as throwing, I know that for a fact. 

Steichen is a gambling man. It’s just reality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Looks to me that the TEs are being asked to block cause the OL can’t do squat. Plus Mallory dropped a sure wide open 1st down too

I heard somewhere this week... Our O-line was rated number 1 in the entire league. However they came up with that, I do not know. But I wasn't buying it. Today was an all around team/coaching failure. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I heard somewhere this week... Our O-line was rated number 1 in the entire league. However they came up with that, I do not know. But I wasn't buying it. Today was an all around team/coaching failure. 

They are not. I am pretty sure it is Detroit that has the #1 rated OL. But Indy is up there (top 5 or so).

• Like 1

I wonder what the Colts braintrust will do with this weeks national tv Sunday night game.

Do they trot Richardson out there again? Benching him for Flacco would be a tough call. They are in a bit of a predicament.

for what it's worth... Right after the game, I read (or heard) a rumor AR might have had an xray? But there is no report of him being injured.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Knock AR if you want, but in all honesty he actually made some great throws. The ball to Goodson was a TD, got dropped. The ball to Mitchell was a TD, but didn't get his feet in. The ball to Pierce was a TD, but was called back due to Pitt's OPI. Pitt had two drops. The oline didn't protect him. Not saying AR is not at fault, but there's blame all around not just AR

The knock is he can’t consistently make the ROUTINE throws. He was 10/32 that is a 31% completion rate. No one is going to knock that he has the arm talent to get the ball down the field. But EVERY pass doesn’t need to be a shot down the field. Almost more than 65% of his passes were over 25 yards. He barely threw underneath. You gotta hit your check downs and underneath guys. Yes the protection wasn’t the best and yea some guys didn’t help by dropping passes and other intangibles, but AR isn’t helping himself be thinking he’s going to have success throwing the ball deep almost every passing attempt.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I wonder what the Colts braintrust will do with this weeks national tv Sunday night game.

Do they trot Richardson out there again? Benching him for Flacco would be a tough call. They are in a bit of a predicament.

for what it's worth... Right after the game, I read (or heard) a rumor AR might have had an xray after the game? But there is no report of him being injured.

It’s going to be AR unless he is injured 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

What else have you heard?

I cant remember where it was from. After the game, I listened to colts podcast, and was reading all kinds of posts on the internet. But someone said, after the game, Franklin went back and it looked like he was having an xray. and AR followed him. Someone was asked if AR was also getting an xray and the answer was "maybe"

Again, dont ask me for my source? I really wasnt paying that much attention, just surfing on my laptop. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They aren’t switching QB unless he is injured. Steichen is going to have to suck it up and be a better play caller.

He might of had a xray after the game 

Right, but if they did want to pull the plug for Sunday night... an injury might be convenient. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Did you see the score of the game? I would rather force them to drive the field to get in field goal position than give them 6. Either way given the time on the clock had they ran the ball several times the chances of Hou blowing their timeouts would have been very slim.

I hated the play calling but my point is the Colts could not take 3 knees and be certain that the half would end. What I advocated was 3 runs or maybe 2 runs and a screen to Taylor. Yes ... I saw the score it was 10-10. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Lol. I'm fairly confident there are plenty on this forum that don't want to see the Colts succeed. I mean, they've literally stated it again and again. 

I don’t know about “plenty,” but there certainly are those that are eager to see failure occur especially for the “I told you so” bragging rights lol. Still, it’s a shame for anyone to let it get them worked up.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. There are fans who stopped coming here when AR was drafted. They want him to fail. I think the fans would have been a lot more patient with Levis.

I’m a Penn St fan. I know Levis tore up my Nittany Lions defense in his first year there. I believe he would've been fine here- our OL is better, our receivers are better, and we have JT. Levis misses King Henry, IMO.

i also am a truck driver- i used to park in Fargo and walk around the NDSU campus. I like Wentz, and think he carried the Colts while he was here. He got blamed by Irsay because of Wentz’s Religious and Political views . I wanted him to have another year to prove he was the real deal.

I've cheered for my Colts since the 1950s.  I’ll still cheer no matter who they take….

Ok, and here's the problem with your stat line- they also don't include the flow of the game. What did the other 50% look like- you have it right? You took the time to break out the small gains, what were the other half of the equation? What were the situations we could have used the other half of that equation? 2 for 13 third down conversions... How many of those were 3rd and long because we came out firing? 

By simple logic the other half would be 3+…. Was this difficult to understand?

The point is that he was just as likely to get  minimal to negative yardage as he was big yards. 6 ypc is a misleading stat when compared to that data point.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Everyone behind closed doors would know it’s a benching. That would not work 

But probably have a better chance of winning at Minnesota with Flacco. A win can do miracles

38 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

somebody else will take them buddy. That place is full of people there for the Instagram feed. If that’s how you feel, do it. But don’t think your club seat renewal is going to get somebody fired. That’s not why anyone is getting fired in Indianapolis. It’s just a non issue, especially for a .500 team. 

Haha agreed.  Most are not there for football. I guess I can get 20 fever tickets for them

42 minutes ago, #12. said:

Steichen needs to shake it up somehow, certainly.  

I thought of roll outs. However u r asking a qb who is inaccurate standing still to throw accurately while on the run? U maybe right, but I bet  the Colts have thought of this.

"one of these things is not like the other." 

Wonder why?? Suspicious Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

I really hope you’re not saying what I think you’re saying. Cuz if so that’s completely disgusting.

Colts fans have welcomed everyone from Peyton Manning to Dwight Freeney to Reggie Wayne. The only common theme is that fans like winners. 

Just like Minshew, Wentz, and Ryan. Play poorly, fans express their displeasure. Ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Exactly.  Maybe do it for the prime time game.  If you’re injured you’re injured. That would give them the excuse.

Kent Sterling made a good point in his after game analysis. He said the Colts brass are probably happy they have to play on the road rather than home for the prime time game. He went on to say, should Richardson continue to struggle, once the home fans start booing, it may get in his head and really cause the situation to spiral out of control.

Sterling also had many other good remarks. He blasts AR for taking himself out of the game and mentioned how AR failing to run out of bounds was totally unacceptable and shows he is not only behind in physical mechanics, but does not know the important game situations. 

I recommend watching Kent's video on youtube.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I’m a Penn St fan. I know Levis tore up my Nittany Lions defense in his first year there. I believe he would've been fine here- our OL is better, our receivers are better, and we have JT. Levis misses King Henry, IMO.

i also am a truck driver- i used to park in Fargo and walk around the NDSU campus. I like Wentz, and think he carried the Colts while he was here. He got blamed by Irsay because of Wentz’s Religious and Political views . I wanted him to have another year to prove he was the real deal.

I've cheered for my Colts since the 1950s.  I’ll still cheer no matter who they take….

I thought it was the fans who were tough on Wentz. He was criticized a lot, but not for political reasons. Most here share the same views. He just happened to be the QB when they lost games that fans thought he should win. If he had won that last game, I think fans would have viewed him differently. His stats were pretty good the year he was with the Colts.

I don't share all the views as Wentz, but I like him very much as a person and a quarterback. He is a great person. It is too bad he got injured the year the Eagles won the Super Bowl.

Like you, I'm a fan of Wentz. I'm not that crazy about Levis but he is only a second year player. He has time. So does Richardson. Fans have to show a little more patience.

38 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

The knock is he can’t consistently make the ROUTINE throws. He was 10/32 that is a 31% completion rate. No one is going to knock that he has the arm talent to get the ball down the field. But EVERY pass doesn’t need to be a shot down the field. Almost more than 65% of his passes were over 25 yards. He barely threw underneath. You gotta hit your check downs and underneath guys. Yes the protection wasn’t the best and yea some guys didn’t help by dropping passes and other intangibles, but AR isn’t helping himself be thinking he’s going to have success throwing the ball deep almost every passing attempt.

How many of those throws were dropped or under duress? You can't just put his incompletions in a vacuum and say he's not completing passes because that's not the whole story

• Like 1

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Then maybe AR should not have that choice.   He should be told to take the 5 yards.  We need more first downs.

Let's go back to all of the games this year that AR has played in. In EVERY single game, the only reason the Colts had a chance at being in the game is because AR was able to connect on the deep ball.

It's the ONLY thing he has going for him right now, and it's a low percentage play. He's struggling mightily throwing short and intermediate. 

Look at today's game. The 1st quarter pass to AD Mitchel was a good throw, but AD didn't stay in bounds for the TD. The deep TD throw to Downs. The Deep throw to Pierce on the TD that was called back. The deep throw to Downs right at the goal line. The deep pass to Goodson, who dropped a great pass. 

The only time AR has really looked competent is when he's been throwing deep.

If you want more first downs from 5-yard passes, then AR is not your guy. Simple as that.

20 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Let's go back to all of the games this year that AR has played in. In EVERY single game, the only reason the Colts had a chance at being in the game is because AR was able to connect on the deep ball.

It's the ONLY thing he has going for him right now, and it's a low percentage play. He's struggling mightily throwing short and intermediate. 

Look at today's game. The 1st quarter pass to AD Mitchel was a good throw, but AD didn't stay in bounds for the TD. The deep TD throw to Downs. The Deep throw to Pierce on the TD that was called back. The deep throw to Downs right at the goal line. The deep pass to Goodson, who dropped a great pass. 

The only time AR has really looked competent is when he's been throwing deep.

If you want more first downs from 5-yard passes, then AR is not your guy. Simple as that.

I hope he becomes it.  If he stays on his current trend, you're right.  I'm going to review this game this week, and see what the tape says.  Big plays are not sustainable.  1st downs are.  And we need to figure it out. 0-9 on third downs to start a game is not a path to Ws.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I hated the play calling but my point is the Colts could not take 3 knees and be certain that the half would end. What I advocated was 3 runs or maybe 2 runs and a screen to Taylor. Yes ... I saw the score it was 10-10. 

Three knees, or three runs they’re essentially getting you the same result.

38 minutes ago, dw49 said:

and prior to that series, Steichen called timeout. stopping the clock, so the Colts would have more time down on their own 5 yard line

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This season is making the Carson Wentz season look pretty good.

To a bandwagon fan like yourself .  I saw a really great running game today.  I saw a defense step up and play very well.   The QB sucked.   No question there.   But their were positives today.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How many of those throws were dropped or under duress? You can't just put his incompletions in a vacuum and say he's not completing passes because that's not the whole story

None of that changes the fact that he took an absurd amount of deep shots. I’m saying he’s not completing passes because he currently lacks accuracy, he is not effectively reading the field and defenses, he needs to understand that a 5 yard drag can turn into a big gain also. It doesn’t all have to do with pressure and duress we have to stop making excuses for him.  There were several plays where he had protection and opted to take a home run shot instead of checking down to make the down and distance more manageable.

11 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

None of that changes the fact that he took an absurd amount of deep shots. I’m saying he’s not completing passes because he currently lacks accuracy, he is not effectively reading the field and defenses, he needs to understand that a 5 yard drag can turn into a big gain also. It doesn’t all have to do with pressure and duress we have to stop making excuses for him.  There were several plays where he had protection and opted to take a home run shot instead of checking down to make the down and distance more manageable.

And what if that's the play design and he's supposed to go deep?

NFL Research: Anthony Richardson's 31.3 completion percentage was the second-lowest by any player in a single game with 30-plus pass attempts over the last 10 seasons. The only player worse was Josh Allen, also this season and also on the road against the Texans (30.0%). Richardson has the NFL's worst completion percentage in 2024 (44.4) and over the last two seasons (50.2, minimum 150 attempts).

This is really all you need to know while assessing the dismalness of this offense. I don’t think the receivers are the problem…Richardson is just not even close to accurate and that will not cut it in todays NFL…heck not even in yesteryear’s NFL.