Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Brents to IR

John Waylon

30 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

To me, the issue isn't so much last year as it was how evident it was that our roster was deficient coming into this year.  And the important context is that Ballard had the opportunity to address it and refused to.  It would be different if he was out of cap space or this just came out of nowhere with a series of ill-timed injuries or whatever.

I disagree with this line of reasoning, top to bottom. Just because everyone was hyperventilating about the secondary all offseason doesn't mean the roster was deficient. And just because everyone is hyperventilating about the secondary right now doesn't mean the roster is deficient. 

All it means is that a bunch of people decided that they don't like the players on the roster, and refuse to do anything other than complain about it. Even after a game in which the secondary actually held up reasonably well, primarily because the real engine of the defense -- the pass rush -- did a good job.

If the loss of Brents completely capsizes the secondary in the coming weeks, then maybe I'll concede on this point. But can we see how they play before we decide that they suck? Or does that make me a Stepford wife?

I actually like Ballard and have generally been a proponent.  But he's so dang hard-headed about certain things.  He can't get out of his own way.  He's always trying to find unconventional solutions to conventional problems....when sometimes the answer is staring him straight in the face.

Cut Vinny, he's done and misses too many important kicks.  No.

Replace Castonzo...he's giving you an entire year's notice he'll be retiring.  No.

Hot Rod is not an NFL kicker.  Sure he is.

Matt Pryor can't play LT in this league.  Yes he can.

Our secondary is young, thin, and injury prone....there are guys available and you have money.  No.

It seems like he's almost wired to be contrarian.  Why can some of these things be so obvious to everybody BUT our General Manager?

Yeah, I disagree with most of this.

• They shut AV down, and replaced him, and he never kicked again. And this was after bringing in a half dozen other kickers to compete with him, more than once.
  • They signed a veteran LT to replace AC in 2021, and he had a decent season, then they went in a different direction.
  • Rodrigo was kicking fine, and then he lost it, and they cut him after one game.
  • Matt Pryor was a fan favorite between 2021 and 2022, it's hilarious that so many people are acting like they were so against Pryor playing LT after the fact. I questioned Pryor at LT during the offseason, but I didn't spend all summer complaining about it, and I didn't come back and say 'I told you so,' either. (And as a side note, I don't know what happened with Pryor in that offseason, but it's like the Monstars came and stole his talent. He went from being a serviceable swing player to being completely useless. So this one deserves an asterisk either way, IMO.)
  • The secondary played reasonably well in the one game we've had this season. In fact, the main player everyone was taking shots at a few weeks ago played well in preseason and in the opener, but no one comes back and says 'hey, I was a little hard on Nick Cross.' 

It's just laughable that people are acting like they just foresee every problem that the Colts have faced, while at the same time refusing to acknowledge the many things they've been wrong about. 

I agree that Ballard is rigid and somewhat stubborn, and I wish he'd do things differently at times. I even wanted a couple of veterans in the secondary, much like everyone else. But most of this stuff is hindsight, revisionist history.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Wasn’t going to comment until I seen your post.. I couldn’t agree more! Everything she is saying is correct and anyone commenting saying things about what she is saying needs to hop of Ballards lap. Some posters think they know everything and refuse to acknowledge what other posters say no matter what. Ballard should have added VET depth but refused to. 

No it isn't.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And we’ll make them all look like Peyton Manning and or Mahomes. 

Normally you could also file me into this category but something feels different this year.

Besides a few miracle throws CJ was running for his life, we got home a few times and had a decent amount of pressure. Secondary did ok for the most part.

It was Brent’s who got toasted on that long play to Collin’s…

I guess Im “wait and see” before making any proclamations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s pray we have another rodgers pr something in that kid we got from SF. I don’t think he had any speed though. Sure would be nice to still have Rodgers.

You sent me a dm and said you would stop this. Maybe you should rethink before you post. You can just skip it if you don’t like it.

Maybe you should think before you post. :)

If you don't like his replies you can just skip them ;)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

Normally you could also file me into this category but something feels different this year.

Besides a few miracle throws CJ was running for his life, we got home a few times and had a decent amount of pressure. Secondary did ok

for the most part. It was Brent’s who got toasted on that long play to Collin’s…

I guess Im “wait and see” before making any proclamations. 

You’ll have to forgive my frustrations. I’m just tired of slapping a different coat of paint on the same cruddy painting and expecting different results. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mikemccoy84 said:

What people are overlooking is if we get a new gm that puts everyone in jeopardy Steichen and AR included. No guarantee the new gm would want any of it

This might be true or it could be that Steichen would be retained and have input in the hiring of a new GM. 

In saying that, I'm not suggesting that Ballard is on the hot seat or likely to be replaced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

You’ll have to forgive my frustrations. I’m just tired of slapping a different coat of paint on the same cruddy painting and expecting different results. 

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for being frustrated. The Colts haven't won the opener since 2013. We haven't been to the playoffs in three seasons. We just lost to the division rival that had the #2 pick in the draft a year and a half ago. There are plenty of reasons to be frustrated.

But to be specific, it's my belief that, as long as we run Bradley's defense, the most important factor is rushing the passer consistently. Yeah, it sucks losing a young, promising player in the secondary, but the defense will fail or succeed on the basis of what the pass rush does. So to me, it misses the mark to go doom and gloom over the secondary in the first place. 

I also think it would be cool to acknowledge that a) the secondary looked better than it did the last time we saw them (so 'different coat of paint on the same cruddy paint' seems unfair), and b) losing one player doesn't end the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This might be true or it could be that Steichen would be retained and have input in the hiring of a new GM. 

In saying that, I'm not suggesting that Ballard is on the hot seat or likely to be replaced.

Ballard isn't going anywhere until unless Richardson busts

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for being frustrated. The Colts haven't won the opener since 2013. We haven't been to the playoffs in three seasons. We just lost to the division rival that had the #2 pick in the draft a year and a half ago. There are plenty of reasons to be frustrated.

But to be specific, it's my belief that, as long as we run Bradley's defense, the most important factor is rushing the passer consistently. Yeah, it sucks losing a young, promising player in the secondary, but the defense will fail or succeed on the basis of what the pass rush does. So to me, it misses the mark to go doom and gloom over the secondary in the first place. 

I also think it would be cool to acknowledge that a) the secondary looked better than it did the last time we saw them (so 'different coat of paint on the same cruddy paint' seems unfair), and b) losing one player doesn't end the season.

Just getting started on what will be a lonnggg season. Not the time to pout and whine. Buckle up everybody. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Oh I’m with you!

I just think our D-Line and the emergence of AR (hopefully) this year will be the difference maker on keeping us in the thick of things. Playing the Texans first was the challenge our team needed to test or mettle early on. I’d expect us to improve from here

If Not? Then pitch forks and torches lol 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I disagree with this line of reasoning, top to bottom. Just because everyone was hyperventilating about the secondary all offseason doesn't mean the roster was deficient. And just because everyone is hyperventilating about the secondary right now doesn't mean the roster is deficient. 

All it means is that a bunch of people decided that they don't like the players on the roster, and refuse to do anything other than complain about it. Even after a game in which the secondary actually held up reasonably well, primarily because the real engine of the defense -- the pass rush -- did a good job.

If the loss of Brents completely capsizes the secondary in the coming weeks, then maybe I'll concede on this point. But can we see how they play before we decide that they suck? Or does that make me a Stepford wife?

• They shut AV down, and replaced him, and he never kicked again. And this was after bringing in a half dozen other kickers to compete with him, more than once.
  • They signed a veteran LT to replace AC in 2021, and he had a decent season, then they went in a different direction.
  • Rodrigo was kicking fine, and then he lost it, and they cut him after one game.
  • Matt Pryor was a fan favorite between 2021 and 2022, it's hilarious that so many people are acting like they were so against Pryor playing LT after the fact. I questioned Pryor at LT during the offseason, but I didn't spend all summer complaining about it, and I didn't come back and say 'I told you so,' either. (And as a side note, I don't know what happened with Pryor in that offseason, but it's like the Monstars came and stole his talent. He went from being a serviceable swing player to being completely useless. So this one deserves an asterisk either way, IMO.)
  • The secondary played reasonably well in the one game we've had this season. In fact, the main player everyone was taking shots at a few weeks ago played well in preseason and in the opener, but no one comes back and says 'hey, I was a little hard on Nick Cross.' 

It's just laughable that people are acting like they just foresee every problem that the Colts have faced, while at the same time refusing to acknowledge the many things they've been wrong about. 

I agree that Ballard is rigid and somewhat stubborn, and I wish he'd do things differently at times. I even wanted a couple of veterans in the secondary, much like everyone else. But most of this stuff is hindsight, revisionist history.

I don’t know what other people said or didn’t say.  But I know what I said and didn’t say.

And I was screaming about every one of those issues long before Ballard addressed them.  That’s the reason I listed them. And I don’t recall being a lonely voice on any of them.

I got a lot of flak on Vinny, because of who he was.  But there were others here and elsewhere who were also out on AV at the end of the 18-19 season.  His 2019 season was bad, predictable, and could’ve and should’ve been avoided.  Keeping him was hugely costly to us.

I thought we should’ve drafted a LT in ‘21 draft.  There were good ones available.  And Fisher was below average…but at least better than who came next.

I was beside myself that we went into a season expecting Matt Pryor to protect Ryan’s blind side.  And I was saying it before the season.  It was an unconscionable decision.

Ballard does a lot of things well.  I’m a fan.  But, man, when he’s wrong…he’s way wrong.  And, worse, he seems incapable of considering any suggestion that he might be wrong….until later, when he’ll at least concede to publicly saying “I failed.”

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have said I don’t think Ballard will be fired. He will resjgn allowing Irsay to keep Steichen. Irsay knows he has a superstar in Shane. 

Irsay doesn't need ballard to resign to keep steichen. If irsay wants to keep Shane then he'll keep Shane. Just like he did with Pagano.

• Like 1

This SUCKS!  Hoping with that extra money we created we can grab a vet corner.  There are some serviceable vets out there in FA still.  Get them in this week and we can get them ready for next week.  

im fine with going with what we have against Malik Willis.  But we need to fix this lack of depth at corner issue before we play the bears and their trio of WRs.

im not on the everything’s on fire train, but I’ll harp on something I’ve said before, this is why as a GM you have to juggle the draft and FA for situations like this.  I was fine with what he had in our starting corners but grabbing a solid or good vet to round out this young corner room would’ve been a very good thing given juju being out.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

AV cost us games that season because he was to stubborn to shut him down earlier. That was a playoff team

It really does suck that we lost our corner…I mean it’s an unfortunate turn of events. But given that he was previously injured doesn’t always indicate their is perpetually higher risk of injury again…sure it probably is increased for any player who was injured to have a slightly higher chance but I don’t believe it is significant. Unfortunately, it was proven now twice with two players whom we thought would be keys to starting quality players (Brents & Woods). I think I’ll reserve judgement about the CB position based on what happens in the next few weeks. If we do OK then that will be alright….if we completely stink in the secondary and Ballard then does nothing to change it by acquiring different player(s) then it will really be evident that he just can’t get things done (regardless of the reason)

I believe Ballard is obviously a mediocre GM at best. His record (while not a deciding factor alone) is a good indication. To me the biggest problem that I still can’t get over is his inability to solve the QB problem sooner than he has. No, the QB problem is not officially solved yet either but I will say I believe we have a greater than not chance that it perhaps is indeed solved for the foreseeable future. Also, his lack of FA involvement is a wee bit of a problem. You have to build through both the draft and FA (in my unprofessional opinion)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If everyone was saying a section of the roster needs improved, then yes it can be said that section is deficient in the eyes of those people. I didn't see anyone say the secondary was fine as is at any point in the offseason. 

I dont really get your take in the second paragraph. A bunch of people noticed a part of the roster that was deficient, and made statements regarding such on a forum about that team. What else are we supposed to do? Contact Drew Rosenhaus saying we need a top flight CB to sign with the team? Complaining about a deficiency on the team is about all anyone can do other than walk away from being a fan of that team, or sit back and fake being happy about it.

I get what you're saying about "let's make sure they suck before we say they suck". That I can agree with that to a degree. What people are more frustrated over was the lack of moves made to improve the secondary. Not bashing any players, but everyone knew more talent was needed. It didn't happen and after week 1 were searching for a decent replacement. This situation was preventable.

To your points,

-AV was asked about retirement a year before he did and said he felt like he had more in the tank. Ballard didn't want to let go of a legend. Because of that decision we waited and AV had a less than stellar end to his career. Not gonna search for articles that old.

-They did sign a good LT for 1 year after AC retired. The other direction they chose after him was Sam Tevi... great move.

-Rodrigo wasn't kicking fine. If he was doing decently then he wouldn't of been let go after one game in his second season. His kicking accuracy was inconsistent throughout his first season.

-if you knew Pryor wasn't the answer at LT then why defend it? I remember people seeing him as a decent backup who played decently at LT to end the year. I don't remember anyone saying he was the answer tho. I remember people wanting us to draft another LT over having him start. Not searching for proof but that how I remember the board seeing it.

-while we didn't get blown away in the passing game, I think it's fair to say they didn't really do well either. Collins caught a deep pass with two of our defenders around him. Hardly any pass breakups and no interceptions. On top of that they ran it down our throat. Them having success running the ball and keeping the time of position on their side dosnt mean our secondary did well in the passing game. Cross did play well at safety for the most part, but lets not act like the position couldn't of been improved.

I'm confused as to how youre opposed to people being upset about this. You've been on the forum all offseason and saw that the secondary was an area for improvement for the vast majority of us. When the the top guy on the outside goes down after week one, and there wasn't much of an effort to improve the position group, why wouldn't fans be upset and start complaining. It's a valid reason to complain about Ballard and his roster management. If this situation isn't then what would be a good point to start complain?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

"Vindication of an expressed fear coming true" sounds rather like a protracted way to say "smug"........I'm not sure I was confused tbh, this issue with Brents getting injured has just been hijacked by the "secondary sucked last season" troupe.....I'm on the fence with Ballard personally but most people who dislike him will always jump on the "I told you so narrative" but won't admit when Ballard has proved them wrong with something,  they just cherry pick the self affirming stories.

The word you are looking for is "schadenfreude":  taking pleasure in the misfortune of others.

49 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

What people are overlooking is if we get a new gm that puts everyone in jeopardy Steichen and AR included. No guarantee the new gm would want any of it

Yep new GMs want their own coach and more and more their own QB.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t know what other people said or didn’t say.  But I know what I said and didn’t say.

I made the comment about what other people said or didn't say because you said these things were obvious to everyone... 

I got a lot of flak on Vinny, because of who he was.  But there were others here and elsewhere who were also out on AV at the end of the 18-19 season.  His 2019 season was bad, predictable, and could’ve and should’ve been avoided.  Keeping him was hugely costly to us.

We're in the weeds, and pushing the discussion out into the margins, which is what happens. I just want to respond to this, because I think maybe this is one of those things where the perception outweighs the reality. AV finished the 2018 season 23/27 on FGs, and 44/47 on XPs. In the last seven games, he was 9/10 on FGs, and 20/21 on XPs. (He did miss his only FG attempt in the playoffs, against the Chiefs, in the cold and snow.) So why was anyone out on him after the 2018 season? Yeah, he was old, but he had been old for a long time, and was still a good kicker. We were supposed to put him out to pasture when he was still kicking well? You're saying you were legitimately making this argument before the 2019 season? 

Ballard does a lot of things well.  I’m a fan.  But, man, when he’s wrong…he’s way wrong.  And, worse, he seems incapable of considering any suggestion that he might be wrong….until later, when he’ll at least concede to publicly saying “I failed.”

I kind of take exception with the bolded, but it doesn't matter. Ultimately, I think he should be judged on the results. What happens most of the time, though, is people judge him against their own wishes and expectations, and then the rest of the story is a case of confirmation bias.

Dumping on Ballard in 2022 because of the OL is, IMO, fair game. Being skeptical of the secondary in 2024, I'm fine with that, also. But I think what's happening today is overly reactionary, and it ignores the actual results we've already seen. And like I've pointed out, the loudest, most extreme reactions are coming from people who were literally saying the same things about the safety position that they're saying about corner right now. So it's ironic to see people talk about accountability in this context.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Your the problem if you looked at last year and thought it was adequate.

LMAO the fans are the problem? What a ridiculous take.

You know what kind of franchise we’d be if you armchair GMs were in charge?

The Panthers and Browns. 

How often we forget that once Steichen was hired we essentially went into a rebuild. 

The clock was reset. 

This season isn’t realistically about winning a Super Bowl. There’s no other way to sugarcoat it. 

But some are grabbing the torch and pitchforks because a CB is injured… 

I haven’t been a fan of Ballard as of late, but to think he’s going to resign or get fired because of our secondary is lacking severely in insight, context and comprehension. 

Enjoy being miserable all season long. Next season as well. Irsay has signed off on this process and he’s not going anywhere. Y’all might as well jump off this forum.

Which, by the way, many of you should be thankful even exists. This is the only official forum that’s tied to and sponsored by a NFL organization. The Colts could easily just close this place down if they wanted. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KB said:

I dont really get your take in the second paragraph. A bunch of people noticed a part of the roster that was deficient, and made statements regarding such on a forum about that team. What else are we supposed to do? Contact Drew Rosenhaus saying we need a top flight CB to sign with the team? Complaining about a deficiency on the team is about all anyone can do other than walk away from being a fan of that team, or sit back and fake being happy about it.

I get what you're saying about "let's make sure they suck before we say they suck". That I can agree with that to a degree. What people are more frustrated over was the lack of moves made to improve the secondary. Not bashing any players, but everyone knew more talent was needed. It didn't happen and after week 1 were searching for a decent replacement. This situation was preventable.

The bolded is my point in my second paragraph. All summer, it was determined that our secondary sucked, and Ballard was stupid for not doing anything about it. I think Ballard should have done more about the secondary, just like everyone else, but my stance was 'let's see how they look.' We just played a game, I think the secondary was okay.

I'm saying the same thing today. Can we see what happens, or do we have concede today that the season is over because one player got hurt? (And ironically, the player who got hurt is the guy who gave up the biggest pass play of the game on Sunday. I feel dirty even making that point, because I don't think Brents is bad, but really, he's the one who got beat by Nico Collins. We can't survive losing him??)

You say the situation was preventable. I'm asking if we even know the severity of the situation. I don't think it's as grave as the discourse makes it seem. 

-if you knew Pryor wasn't the answer at LT then why defend it? I remember people seeing him as a decent backup who played decently at LT to end the year. I don't remember anyone saying he was the answer tho. I remember people wanting us to draft another LT over having him start. Not searching for proof but that how I remember the board seeing it.

I'm not defending it. I've never defended it. I think it was a huge mistake. What I didn't do, though, is scream "I told you so!" 

And yeah, I'm not saying anyone was calling Pryor the answer at LT. But let's just saying the expectations for him were more mixed than people remember today. 

I'm confused as to how youre opposed to people being upset about this. You've been on the forum all offseason and saw that the secondary was an area for improvement for the vast majority of us. When the the top guy on the outside goes down after week one, and there wasn't much of an effort to improve the position group, why wouldn't fans be upset and start complaining. It's a valid reason to complain about Ballard and his roster management. If this situation isn't then what would be a good point to start complain?

I'm not opposed to people being upset about this. I'm opposed to extreme overreactions, and labeling anyone who doesn't see it the same way as the extreme overreactors as "the problem." 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

And I was screaming about every one of those issues long before Ballard addressed them.  That’s the reason I listed them. And I don’t recall being a lonely voice on any of them.

I thought we should’ve drafted a LT in ‘21 draft.  There were good ones available.  And Fisher was below average…but at least better than who came next.

I was beside myself that we went into a season expecting Matt Pryor to protect Ryan’s blind side.  And I was saying it before the season.  It was an unconscionable decision.

Ballard does a lot of things well.  I’m a fan.  But, man, when he’s wrong…he’s way wrong.  And, worse, he seems incapable of considering any suggestion that he might be wrong….until later, when he’ll at least concede to publicly saying “I failed.”

I should add that I fully realize that no GM is ever going to listen to some random fan (or group of fans) bellyaching, griping, giving opinions, etc.  And I’m not even saying that they should.  Those guys know a great deal more

about football than I ever will…and that probably goes for the rest of us, too.

But it’s clear from Ballard’s presser the other day that he knows his decision to stand pat on the secondary is a pretty lonely one…and not just among random fans.