Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baldy's breakdown on AR

CR91

48 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So unfortunate he didn't get those two connections with AD. Would've been 5 tuddies total!

Apparently Mitchell wasn't supposed to run that route so it wasn't planned, but AR still needed to make that throw

• Like 2

This may very well be the most loaded offense we've had in over 50 years. 70's- Bert Jones, Roger Carr, Glenn Doughty, Lydell Mitchell,Raymond Chester. Then the Peyton years- Manning, Harrison,Wayne, Edge  then Addai, Dilger then Clark and Pollard,and a multitude of slot receivers like Collie and Stokely and Garcon. Luck really only had Wayne and Hilton. Nobody else ever really stepped up and was a threat. And now this- Richardson, Pittman, Pierce, Downs, Mitchell, and then Gould and Montgomery are available also. Taylor, Goodson, Sermon, and Hull at running back and then the tightends. The receivers are going to be open so often down field I'm not sure the tight ends are going to see the ball much even though I do wish Mallory and Ogletree would get some opportunities. This is a fantastic offense loaded with gobs of speed and talent. It should be fun to watch. Go Colts!!!!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

This may very well be the most loaded offense we've had in over 50 years. 70's- Bert Jones, Roger Carr, Glenn Doughty, Lydell Mitchell,Raymond Chester. Then the Peyton years- Manning, Harrison,Wayne, Edge  then Addai, Dilger then Clark and Pollard,and a multitude of slot receivers like Collie and Stokely and Garcon. Luck really only had Wayne and Hilton. Nobody else ever really stepped up and was a threat. And now this- Richardson, Pittman, Pierce, Downs, Mitchell, and then Gould and Montgomery are available also. Taylor, Goodson, Sermon, and Hull at running back and then the tightends. The receivers are going to be open so often down field I'm not sure the tight ends are going to see the ball much even though I do wish Mallory and Ogletree would get some opportunities. This is a fantastic offense loaded with gobs of speed and talent. It should be fun to watch. Go Colts!!!!

I agree, but I think Manning made a bunch of receivers look good ( other than Harrison and Wayne) Even Blair White looked good.

45 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Wait a minute!  Do you mean Ballard did ok?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is right here. We will start to see next few games that teams are not going to be able to stop the pass and run. It will be exactly what happened to colts Sunday. Pick your poison.

Just wait until colts go 4 WR and how explosive that will be for the run and pass game.

Man…. The perfect season for me is some bumpy learning curves that still yield enough wins throughout the season to get us into the playoffs. Around the same time things are officially clicking on all cylinders for AR which makes us a dangerous team nobody wants to face. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We need more aggressive defensive play. What's the difference if you give up 10-15 yard plays that keep your defense out there getting gassed, or you attack and get beat for a couple of 50+ yards scores? Oh wait, that's what happened to Houston on Sunday, but they still won, imagine that. Be aggressive and get some STOPS, enough of this soft zone, bend and always break defense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is right here. We will start to see next few games that teams are not going to be able to stop the pass and run. It will be exactly what happened to colts Sunday. Pick your poison.

Just wait until colts go 4 WR and how explosive that will be for the run and pass game.

Which one of those wide receivers do you want on a different team? Who are you okay to do without so you can have a high performing defensive back this year?

I’ll type this slowly so the kids in the back can hear me: Ballard built the offense around AR this year so they can have time together. He did so at the expense of the defensive roster because the offense needs to gel before the rookie contracts expire. 

if you listen to Chris Ballard and you listen to Jim Irsay, really listen to them, they tell you exactly what they are doing. They are very transparent. They are not trying to build a Super Bowl contender. That’s what Houston is doing. One and done. Ballard and Irsay want repeatable success. You don’t get repeatable success with someone else’s players (free agents).

They’re building a dynasty. You build long-term success. You don’t rent it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lester said:

Which one of those wide receivers do you want on a different team? Who are you okay to do without so you can have a high performing defensive back this year?

I’ll type this slowly so the kids in the back can hear me: Ballard built the offense around AR this year so they can have time together. He did so at the expense of the defensive roster because the offense needs to gel before the rookie contracts expire. 

if you listen to Chris Ballard and you listen to Jim Irsay, really listen to them, they tell you exactly what they are doing. They are very transparent. They are not trying to build a Super Bowl contender. That’s what Houston is doing. One and done. Ballard and Irsay want repeatable success. You don’t get repeatable success with someone else’s players (free agents).

As much as I want our secondary to be better now, I've also said Ballard can't fill all the holes in one draft, and I believe you are right, they are building something long term.  Now let's hope AR stays healthy, but heck, I wouldn't be mad if we lost a ton of close games (and I'm not saying to throw them either) because we could pick higher in the draft next year.  

27 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

As much as I want our secondary to be better now, I've also said Ballard can't fill all the holes in one draft, and I believe you are right, they are building something long term.  Now let's hope AR stays healthy, but heck, I wouldn't be mad if we lost a ton of close games (and I'm not saying to throw them either) because we could pick higher in the draft next year.  

I can’t root for another high draft pick this year lol. Most of us can’t. 

We can get a stud secondary player middle to back half of 1st round. I anticipate us signing & drafting multiple pieces in the secondary next year. Wouldn’t be surprised if we draft or sign a starting LB either. That should fix our defense

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lester said:

Hmmm not only are you correct but I do seem to think this blueprint has been followed before…. Hmmm which great QB and team was that… oh yeah, the Colts and Peyton Manning

13 hours ago, lester said:

While I agree that there's a difference between building a one-and-done and building a program to succeed over years, I do not agree that this means avoiding trades and free agency.

Let's look at some of the players from the Patriots dynasty...

Mike Vrabel - spent 4 seasons with Steelers, acquired as FA

Corey Dillon - acquired in trade from Bengals

Rodney Harrison - spent 9 seasons with Chargers, released and picked up as FA

Randy Moss - acquired in trade from Raiders

Wes Welker - acquired in trade from Dolphins

Rosevelt Colvin - spent 4 seasons with Bears, acquired as FA

Rob Ninkovich - spent 2 seasons each with Saints and Dolphins, acquired as FA

LeGarrette Blount - acquired in trade from Buccaneers

Aqib Talib - acquired in trade from Buccaneers

Darrelle Revis - played 1 year for Pats, acquired as FA after being released by Buccaneers

Brandon LaFell - spent 4 seasons with Panthers, acquired as FA

Danny Amendola - spent 4 seasons with Rams, acquired as FA

You get the idea.  The Patriots engaged in plenty of trades and free agency to build and maintain their dynasty.  Yes, most of their guys were Patriots from the start.  But nobody is that great of a drafter that they can build a great team exclusively through the draft.

And it's also OK to have guys on 1 year deals.  Darrelle Revis was 1st Team All-Pro in his only season with the Pats -- which was 2014.  He also picked up a Super Bowl ring that season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Luck also had a pretty good tandem of TE's to go along with TY & Reggie But yes the Manning and Bert Jones teams had weapons. 

Still have to get that run game going.  If they can get JT some blocks, and he starts breaking them, AR will be even more dangerous.  

And that’s our best defense too!  Like the Texans did to us, keep the opposing teams offenses off the field.  They won’t run as much when they’re behind.  (Still need to improve that porous run D)

• Like 2

On 9/10/2024 at 9:56 AM, CR91 said:

I hope he is wrong on the Judge comparison. lol!!

"Aaron Judge has a batting average of.211 with 36 hits, 13 homers, 25 RBIs and 29 runs scored in 44 games in the postseason in his career". Reminds me more of a Peyton Manning comparison haha. Great regular season stats and regularly under performing in the play offs, lol. 

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I hope he is wrong on the Judge comparison. lol!!

"Aaron Judge has a batting average of.211 with 36 hits, 13 homers, 25 RBIs and 29 runs scored in 44 games in the postseason in his career". Reminds me more of a Peyton Manning comparison haha. Great regular season stats and regularly under performing in the play offs, lol. 

Well Judge will be a first ballot hall of famer...if AR has that type of career, id settle for that . But he was obviously comparing size and athletic ability.

On 9/11/2024 at 11:10 AM, luv_pony_express said:

While I agree that there's a difference between building a one-and-done and building a program to succeed over years, I do not agree that this means avoiding trades and free agency.

Let's look at some of the players from the Patriots dynasty...

Mike Vrabel - spent 4 seasons with Steelers, acquired as FA

Corey Dillon - acquired in trade from Bengals

Rodney Harrison - spent 9 seasons with Chargers, released and picked up as FA

Randy Moss - acquired in trade from Raiders

Wes Welker - acquired in trade from Dolphins

Rosevelt Colvin - spent 4 seasons with Bears, acquired as FA

Rob Ninkovich - spent 2 seasons each with Saints and Dolphins, acquired as FA

LeGarrette Blount - acquired in trade from Buccaneers

Aqib Talib - acquired in trade from Buccaneers

Darrelle Revis - played 1 year for Pats, acquired as FA after being released by Buccaneers

Brandon LaFell - spent 4 seasons with Panthers, acquired as FA

Danny Amendola - spent 4 seasons with Rams, acquired as FA

You get the idea.  The Patriots engaged in plenty of trades and free agency to build and maintain their dynasty.  Yes, most of their guys were Patriots from the start.  But nobody is that great of a drafter that they can build a great team exclusively through the draft.

And it's also OK to have guys on 1 year deals.  Darrelle Revis was 1st Team All-Pro in his only season with the Pats -- which was 2014.  He also picked up a Super Bowl ring that season.

Notice anything though about those trades? They all have one thing in common

Get in the playoffs and anything can happen.  Our ceiling will live and die with Richardson's consistency in making the "easier" throws.  I'll be curious to see how teams adjust over the course of a season, because the Texans got a taste of Richardson they hadn't seen before.  He played against them what 2nd or 3rd game of the year and didn't throw a pass further than like 10 yards.

He can sling it and that's great, but teams will ahve to respect his ability as a passer which should open up the run game more.  Just need to extend more drives and for god's sake, defense, try to force more than two punts per game.

It’s  crazy how much AR is Josh Allen’s twin. The one difference is decision making. So far AR seems to be a better decision maker in the pass game and doesn’t take the risks Allen does. I think Colts have a slightly better team than Allen had his rookie year. But all I could think about last night watching Josh was how much him and AR playing style is the same.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

They all were done AFTER the Patriots had established their Franchise QB….

That's because those are the only years I looked at to make the list.  I'm sure I'd find plenty of Patriot trades and FA pickups in the late 90s, too.

The reason I looked only at their dynasty years is because I was responding to the suggestion that dynasties have to be built from within.  And I just don't think that's the case.

In fact, I'd go farther to say there's no such thing as an NFL team that's been built entirely through the draft and UFDAs.  It may be the case that dynasties like the Brady-era Pats were less engaged in free agency and trades than other teams.  But to say that they stayed away from FA and trades just isn't correct.

That said, I do agree that it all starts with the franchise QB.  And I'd also agree that few franchise QBs have been acquired from elsewhere (at least for their prime).  There are some notable exceptions (Steve Young, Drew Brees, and Warren Moon come to mind).  But they're mostly drafted.