Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

I think we will beat them the second go round. I think we will hit the run harder. I still don't think Texans defense can shut it down if we press it with intent. We should have Downs back. Don't think they have anybody that can cover AD and Pierce simultaneously.   Gotta control the TOP and dictate to them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Sad really that so many are here looking for a scapegoat, Gus Bradley , to blame because we lost a two point game to a Super Bowl contender with the Colts starting the youngest quarterback in the league and I would bet one of the youngest teams in the league.  It’s only the first game.  The sky is not falling.  Talk about overreacting. Like I said Sad.

I disagree on him being the scapegoat, because it’s been a repeated problem that we have seen in his 3 years that he has been here. So being frustrated to see it again this year, is understandable. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

People always underrated how good Bethea was.  I always felt the Colts had the most overrated safety in the league in Sanders, due to injuries, and the most underrated safety in the league in Bethea.  

you are on to something, sometimes teams just get on a roll in a game and you can’t stop it no matter what you do.  The Texans got on a roll running earlier and I think their confidence just grew.  If you listen to the announcers too it was clearly a major focus for the Texans to get better at this off-season so I think they spent a lot of time working on it and caught the Colts off guard.  

You could tell because of how often Grover, their run stopper, was out early replaced by the pass rushing DTs.  Then once the Texans got the momentum going the Colts just couldn’t slow it down.  It was just the Texans line day.  Sometimes that happens.  Hopefully the Colts get it fixed this week because I’d expect a healthy dose of Josh Jacobs doing the same stuff Mixon was doing.

I think josh Jacob's run style is different  than mixon

Hey Krunk, nobody has a secondary that can guard Pittman, Pierce, Downs and Mitchell, it's just a matter of Richardson getting one of them the ball while they are running wide open on any given play. This team is going to be fun to watch, we need a more aggressive defense though.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Where were EJ speed and Zaire Franklin yesterday is my question. 

The fact that our two safeties accounted for nearly half of the total tackles is really bad. 

Maybe those two should take a break from their podcast and watch more film and practice... 

I agree

I thought they had their worse game in 2 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Hey Krunk, nobody has a secondary that can guard Pittman, Pierce, Downs and Mitchell, it's just a matter of Richardson getting one of them the ball while they are running wide open on any given play. This team is going to be fun to watch, we need a more aggressive defense though.

I agree! I like the defense for the most part. The only thing I don't like is I think we play way too much off coverage. I think we need to add more press to reroute and knock off guys timing.

Didn't get on for a bit. Absolute trash team in week 1 like usual. No wins under Ballard in week 1. Other than the O-Line, everyone sucked on offense besides Richardson and Pierce. Also, don't let AR's stat line fool you. He was under a 50% completion rate and only did well because he completed 2 of those deep passes. That won't happen every week, and when it doesn't, the team is cooked. Luckily, he ran well. Defense was pitiful against the run and Gus Bradley didn't adjust. Bad against the pass that would have been worse if Mixon didn't run it 30 times. We got some sacks and pressure, I guess that's a good thing. Seemed it was all against Tunsil.

The team was actually worse than I thought it would be in week 1. The only saving grace was two deep passes by Richardson that resulted in TDs, and like I said, that won't happen every week. Ballard has made a respected football franchise into a laughingstock of the league. Turns what could have been a 3 year rebuild into a 10 year rebuild at best. I just played Madden and made the AFC Championship (in a loss) rebuilding the Colts in 2 years without any cheating and watching the computer play every game, and it was a lot more fun than the effort I saw on the field on Sunday.

Holy crap, where's the Tylenol?

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Didn't get on for a bit. Absolute trash team in week 1 like usual. No wins under Ballard in week 1. Other than the O-Line, everyone sucked on offense besides Richardson and Pierce. Also, don't let AR's stat line fool you. He was under a 50% completion rate and only did well because he completed 2 of those deep passes. That won't happen every week, and when it doesn't, the team is cooked. Luckily, he ran well. Defense was pitiful against the run and Gus Bradley didn't adjust. Bad against the pass that would have been worse if Mixon didn't run it 30 times. We got some sacks and pressure, I guess that's a good thing. Seemed it was all against Tunsil.

The team was actually worse than I thought it would be in week 1. The only saving grace was two deep passes by Richardson that resulted in TDs, and like I said, that won't happen every week. Ballard has made a respected football franchise into a laughingstock of the league. Turns what could have been a 3 year rebuild into a 10 year rebuild at best. I just played Madden and made the AFC Championship (in a loss) rebuilding the Colts in 2 years without any cheating and watching the computer play every game, and it was a lot more fun than the effort I saw on the field on Sunday.

I think you need more than Tylenol bro… 

• Like 6

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

Like I said in another post....your posts are amusing. Lol

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yikes is right 

I don't put much stock in PFF, but those LB grades?!? 

monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif

Yep. I am surprised any of those players are above 70 too. Although Cross did make a lot of tkls where he was the last line of defense.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I think we will beat them the second go round. I think we will hit the run harder. I still don't think Texans defense can shut it down if we press it with intent. We should have Downs back. Don't think they have anybody that can cover AD and Pierce simultaneously.   Gotta control the TOP and dictate to them.

I don't think we are far off at all. It wasn't a great game by us, and I thought they played pretty dang well and won because they milked the clock/didn't give the ball back at the end. The breakdowns in the secondary for their defense was not remotely similar to the big plays they made against ours. On Collins' two big plays, it was tight TIGHT coverage, and a great ball and unbelievable catches that only a handful of receivers can make in this league. The TOP has to be better. The redzone turnover was massive, and no one seems to be talking about it as really the difference in the game. We had a couple turnover opportunities either overturned or slipped through. Brents INT overturned and Jones had a one handed opportunity that he was very close to making/might have had he gotten two hands on it. That was the only turnover in the game, and it ended up being massive...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think you need more than Tylenol bro… 

I see a psychiatrist and am trying to find the right meds for my bipolar, but this team makes things 10 times worse and makes me absolutely miserable. Madden is actually an escape fantasy from the real thing, which is unfortunate, considering the NFL should be an escape from the real world, but makes me more miserable than anything that happens in my everyday life. 

I hate Ballard with every fiber of my being for wasting 8 years of my life as the GM with no real chance to ever contend (yes, I hate Grigson for the same thing, but we had a chance with Luck at least). I hate Gus Bradley for being an awful D-Coordinator that lives in the past and sets us back every week and never adjusts. I don't trust Shane Steichen for what he said about Matt Gay not being injured, and it's so obvious he will always abandon the run when we fall behind. I'm starting to hate Irsay for not firing Chris Ballard. He's quickly becoming the problem for allowing all this to happen. This team deserves better, and it's in a mediocre rut because we have a GM and owner with no spine (for different reasons). 

After one game, it's not even fun to watch. Like clockwork, we lose the first game of the season again to a divisional opponent. We have a team with obvious holes, and less obvious holes that were exposed Sunday. I don't enjoy it anymore. How can you? I would rather burn the money that it would cost to go to a Colts game than subject myself to watching this.

I'm a huge fan of the Indianapolis Colts. I hate the Chris Ballard led Indianapolis Colts. He has ruined the team I have loved since I was 10 years old. When I would rather play as the Colts on Madden than watch the Colts play for real, something is horribly wrong.

• Like 3

Talk about overreactions.  I swear most Colts fans just immediately expect prime 2005 Colts to be a norm.  It wasn't a norm and it wont be.  That offensive group will be an all timer, and trying to chase those glory days should be an afterthought for us. 

The question is where are we in the rebuild and does it look promising?

Ballard got essentially a 4 year extension due to the Luck circumstances weather you like it or not. However, his rebuild has never taken off into being more than just a perennial rebuild, and that is the problem. I lot of what hinders Ballard into taking those big swings and being super aggressive in an attempt to get his rebuilding, decent roster squads over the top- is out of his control, and would be out of any decent GM's control if you don't want to have someone reckless that is willing to obliterate the cap for a small window of success. 

Ballard has done a great job at keeping a roster churning, you and competitive enough to keep the door open to be aggressive.  That is a good thing.  It gives your franchise a nice nucleus to make a move from- but the move hasn't been made yet.  He needs to make sure the QB is settled before he does, and I agree. 

I think we are getting closer to knowing that about our QB.  At the very least he looks better than Young, Levis, Ridder, Nix, Z. Wilson, Darnold, Lance, and pretty much most of the good young QBs that have come out in the last few years. I think AR might have been a hit, but we need to have a bit of patience with it.  He isn't going to be Luck out of he gate, or even Newton- but his upside could be right there with Luck and Newton. As much as you all hate it, Chris Ballard is buying himself another 2-3 years as our GM for every bomb that AR delivers on the field. Bradly will clearly be martyred if last weeks travesty continues, however. 

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

I see a psychiatrist and am trying to find the right meds for my bipolar, but this team makes things 10 times worse and makes me absolutely miserable. Madden is actually an escape fantasy from the real thing, which is unfortunate, considering the NFL should be an escape from the real world, but makes me more miserable than anything that happens in my everyday life. 

I hate Ballard with every fiber of my being for wasting 8 years of my life as the GM with no real chance to ever contend (yes, I hate Grigson for the same thing, but we had a chance with Luck at least). I hate Gus Bradley for being an awful D-Coordinator that lives in the past and sets us back every week and never adjusts. I don't trust Shane Steichen for what he said about Matt Gay not being injured, and it's so obvious he will always abandon the run when we fall behind. I'm starting to hate Irsay for not firing Chris Ballard. He's quickly becoming the problem for allowing all this to happen. This team deserves better, and it's in a mediocre rut because we have a GM and owner with no spine (for different reasons). 

After one game, it's not even fun to watch. Like clockwork, we lose the first game of the season again to a divisional opponent. We have a team with obvious holes, and less obvious holes that were exposed Sunday. I don't enjoy it anymore. How can you? I would rather burn the money that it would cost to go to a Colts game than subject myself to watching this.

I'm a huge fan of the Indianapolis Colts. I hate the Chris Ballard led Indianapolis Colts. He has ruined the team I have loved since I was 10 years old. When I would rather play as the Colts on Madden than watch the Colts play for real, something is horribly wrong.

Good for you putting the work in.. I can imagine it's beyond hard. 

I don't think you are alone in your frustrations with the team (obviously you are not alone on this forum) but i also think a great deal of fans feel the same across the league. I don't feel the same as you buddy, at all. I think it's very personal for you and that's something you are going to have to work on. You would rather burn money than have the experience I did on Sunday. I had 6 hours alone with my wife, which is rare. Lucas Oil was beautiful. Energy was great. I would have spent 5 times the amount I spent Sunday had I known how great of a day it would be, and I would do it over and over again regardless of the outcome on the field.

I'm not sure I agree that something is wrong if you would rather play Madden then watch the actual team. If that's the outlet you need to channel it, then it's not wrong at all. Clearly watching the team play is triggering for you. Stress stacks itself until it explodes. Be well buddy. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

Talk about overreactions.  I swear most Colts fans just immediately expect prime 2005 Colts to be a norm.  It wasn't a norm and it wont be.  That offensive group will be an all timer, and trying to chase those glory days should be an afterthought for us. 

The question is where are we in the rebuild and does it look promising?

Ballard got essentially a 4 year extension due to the Luck circumstances weather you like it or not. However, his rebuild has never taken off into being more than just a perennial rebuild, and that is the problem. I lot of what hinders Ballard into taking those big swings and being super aggressive in an attempt to get his rebuilding, decent roster squads over the top- is out of his control, and would be out of any decent GM's control if you don't want to have someone reckless that is willing to obliterate the cap for a small window of success. 

Ballard has done a great job at keeping a roster churning, you and competitive enough to keep the door open to be aggressive.  That is a good thing.  It gives your franchise a nice nucleus to make a move from- but the move hasn't been made yet.  He needs to make sure the QB is settled before he does, and I agree. 

I think we are getting closer to knowing that about our QB.  At the very least he looks better than Young, Levis, Ridder, Nix, Z. Wilson, Darnold, Lance, and pretty much most of the good young QBs that have come out in the last few years. I think AR might have been a hit, but we need to have a bit of patience with it.  He isn't going to be Luck out of he gate, or even Newton- but his upside could be right there with Luck and Newton. As much as you all hate it, Chris Ballard is buying himself another 2-3 years as our GM for every bomb that AR delivers on the field. Bradly will clearly be martyred if last weeks travesty continues, however. 

I wonder how many that frequently complain about Ballard on here have been to a game recently. I didn't go to the Texans finale last season, but I talked with many that did and they said they hadn't experienced an atmosphere like that since Peyton was here. Now I went to some wild atmosphere's in the Luck era, so that's a bold statement, but several have said it. I don't think the atmosphere was as good as it probably was for the finale, but I experienced it Sunday. It's an entire new culture at Lucas Oil now, for an entire new generation of fans. T.Y. coming in with the anvil and putting the clown mask on, and then watching AR run out of the tunnel to that crowd was very cool. The bomb to Pierce was the best touchdown pass I've ever seen in person, and I've seen a lot.

Ballard isn't leaving as long as they are competitive, showing growth with the young players they are clearly focusing building around now and the culture stays in tact. As long as fans are going to games and happy like I saw Sunday, they aren't going to change anything, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think we are far off at all. It wasn't a great game by us, and I thought they played pretty dang well and won because they milked the clock/didn't give the ball back at the end. The breakdowns in the secondary for their defense was not remotely similar to the big plays they made against ours. On Collins' two big plays, it was tight TIGHT coverage, and a great ball and unbelievable catches that only a handful of receivers can make in this league. The TOP has to be better. The redzone turnover was massive, and no one seems to be talking about it as really the difference in the game. We had a couple turnover opportunities either overturned or slipped through. Brents INT overturned and Jones had a one handed opportunity that he was very close to making/might have had he gotten two hands on it. That was the only turnover in the game, and it ended up being massive...

By red zone int you are referring to the Granson slip play? If that's what u mean that pick agitated me bc everything we did on that drive was the way I wanted to see us play the Texans. AR had some nice carries, Taylor had some nice runs. Ball driving down the field, chains moving. We were not rushed or in a hurry. As long as we didn't turn the ball over we probably score. Why? Bc we got a lot of weapons and the QB is a beast to deal with in the redzone.

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

By red zone int you are referring to the Granson slip play? If that's what u mean that pick agitated me bc everything we did on that drive was the way I wanted to see us play the Texans. AR had some nice carries, Taylor had some nice runs. Ball driving down the field, chains moving. We were not rushed or in a hurry. As long as we didn't turn the ball over we probably score. Why? Bc we got a lot of weapons and the QB is a beast to deal with in the redzone.

That was the only turnover in the game. Even a fieldgoal there is possibly a different outcome to the game. It was frustrating for sure. Some say the offense did enough, I say against the Texans they clearly did not. You cannot leave points on the board against a good offense. Defense, as badly as they played, they still got off the field multiple times and held them within range to win. It'll be more balanced and better soon enough. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I hope your psychiatrist is helping you with your anger management issues.  That’s what we see here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Not sure if it goes down as a TO, but the Colts did get a blocked punt that put them at 1st and goal to go from the 5. Looks like there were only 6-8 blocked punts across the entire league last year (depending on which source you use), so they are pretty rare, especially to end up in a goal-to-go situation. I would argue that made up for the INT.

That JT TD was also the first points they scored since AP's TD with 5 min to go in Q1 (4 straight scoreless drives). Without that punt block, I think they go 2.5 quarters without scoring. And without the momentum from it, it's hard to say how it plays out.

Between that and the 3 long TDs, I do think the Colts were fortunate to be in this game. I think AR makes the offense more explosive, but it's still tough to rely mostly on those types of plays. Have to figure out the short passing and run game before the rematch.

I want to play the Texans physical all the way across the board. Dictate to them on both sides. On defense my biggest complaint is we play too much off coverage. You got all them pretty boy receivers on that squad dancing and being finesse. We need to add in some press and put hands on their tails. The whole darn game can't be off coverage. Mix in some press and  Knock of the timing! Heck I don't even care if you get a flag one time or so. Get your hands on the guy and push him into the side lines.

• Like 1

So while listening to the game they mentioned a few times that their rookie TE (Stover I believe) was put in at FB. I'm wondering how much that would play into their success of running the ball so well, and how Franklin was neutralized for the most part. 

35 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not sure if it goes down as a TO, but the Colts did get a blocked punt that put them at 1st and goal to go from the 5. Looks like there were only 6-8 blocked punts across the entire league last year (depending on which source you use), so they are pretty rare, especially to end up in a goal-to-go situation. I would argue that made up for the INT.

That JT TD was also the first points they scored since AP's TD with 5 min to go in Q1 (4 straight scoreless drives). Without that punt block, I think they go 2.5 quarters without scoring. And without the momentum from it, it's hard to say how it plays out.

Between that and the 3 long TDs, I do think the Colts were fortunate to be in this game. I think AR makes the offense more explosive, but it's still tough to rely mostly on those types of plays. Have to figure out the short passing and run game before the rematch.

It doesn't count as a turnover, but I don't disagree. The only thing I'll say on that is that we had two of those blocked punts within the same game last season, and are always a threat for it. 

I don't know that's it is tough to mostly rely on those type of plays if they can consistently get big plays. The Dulin play was also a very explosive play but wasn't anything out of sorts, it was just a rocket and a big run after the catch. I think they are going to be very frequent this year. The problem for teams is going to be when they start trying to take those big plays away, will it open up a massive running game problem to deal with. Will Downs returning cause headaches in the short game? What will Richardson develop over the course of the next several weeks, and months? He's going to get better... That's a fact. What is the impact going to be on defenses. We've got a long ways to go and a lot to clean up, no doubt. I'm not going to judge much of anything on what we saw Sunday. It was a very strange game in a lot of ways. 

1 hour ago, KB said:

So while listening to the game they mentioned a few times that their rookie TE (Stover I believe) was put in at FB. I'm wondering how much that would play into their success of running the ball so well, and how Franklin was neutralized for the most part. 

I haven’t watched it yet, but I saw Franklin make some really poor angles to take himself out of plays on stretch plays. Just really poor sideline to sideline defense. Obviously very targeted and exposed the linebacking core, which I think was their intentions after all the talking he did this offseason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. I am surprised any of those players are above 70 too. Although Cross did make a lot of tkls where he was the last line of defense.

Note that our run stuffer Stewart is NOT in the Top 5. He had an underwhelming game except for a flash or two. That is not good for a guy whose primary role and possibly ONLY role is stopping the run. 

Just means that they were doubling Buckner constantly and Stewart wasn't shedding his blocks for the OL to get a full head of steam for the LBs, who were having their own issue shedding blocks, and Sunday's performance was the result.

I'd still like to see more creative playcalling when it comes to our run game. "Insert RB name" up the gut has been old a long time and every team we meet knows that's what we're doing.

There's a lot of good AND bad to take from this game.

Good, this team is EXPLOSIVE on offense. Like it's almost unfair. Also, it looks like we have a pass rush again.

Bad, the run defense was terrible and all defensive units got exposed in some way this game. That needs to be tightened up.

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Note that our run stuffer Stewart is NOT in the Top 5. He had an underwhelming game except for a flash or two. That is not good for a guy whose primary role and possibly ONLY role is stopping the run. 

Just means that they were doubling Buckner constantly and Stewart wasn't shedding his blocks for the OL to get a full head of steam for the LBs, who were having their own issue shedding blocks, and Sunday's performance was the result.

Players wear down and tend to fall off when they age. Sometimes it happens fast. Grover had a suspension last year as well.

The core of the run defense of the Colts are all veterans who are nearing or already 30 too. Hopefully it was just a one week outlier. If the run defense becomes a weakness, this defense is in trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Forgive me if it's been discussed, but where was Latu? Didn't get game coverage here and box score didn't show anything. Did he get any snaps at all?

Played 39% of snaps I think. Had a couple pressure per PFR. HOU sticking to the run might have dictated that more than anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Forgive me if it's been discussed, but where was Latu? Didn't get game coverage here and box score didn't show anything. Did he get any snaps at all?

He was a presence when out there, caused a couple of false starts, got held a couple of times (not called of course) and was in on jail break to Stroud but just didn’t win the race to the QB.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

He was on Tunsil quite a bit. For what it is worth Tunsil had one of his lowest  graded games he has ever had. I will see if I can find the tweet.