Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts kicker Matt Gay dealing with groin injury; status for Sunday opener versus Houston uncertain

HOZER

32 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Okay… which one of you here on the forum injured Gay so we can use Shrader? :nono:

That would be me. I was complaining about Schrader not being kept over Gay. Ballard kept Gay as the active kicker and put Schrader on the PS, so I saw my opportunity and went all Tonja Harding on him lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well I’m gonna guess since last season… telling ya all, he’s done. 

It’s not a hard theory to sell. There was definitely some hard to explain falloff late last season with him, and it hasn’t stopped yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

You think we might see the Colts go for it more than usual this Sunday? 

If the first  couple of attempt fail it may force their hand, yeah.  I just hope AR doesn't go hero mode like Luck used to.  It could end up badly.  But, honestly, I think we have a couple of bad kicking games before that could become an issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

We have not been right at kicker since Adam last year when he went down hill 

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It’s not a hard theory to sell. There was definitely some hard to explain falloff late last season with him, and it hasn’t stopped yet. 

Yep and it was the same with AV and even Vanderjadgt before him. It’s over

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Well... I got my way with Schrader being the K. Didn't want Gay to get a hernia lol, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Let's hope Schrader dominates and doesn't look back.

You must not have watched Notre Dame last year.   Schrader has a big leg,  but is inconsistent. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You must not have watched Notre Dame last year.   Schrader has a big leg,  but is inconsistent. 

I think he had a 68% FG percentage or something. We'll see what happens. I'd rather have a K that can hit the long FGs. If Ballard put him on the practice squad, then he must have figured he was worth keeping in some capacity. I just don't trust Gay at this point. 

If you Google the recovery time for this kind of surgery for an athlete, it’s a 6-12 week recovery period though retearing it is a legit possibility if returning too early. Sounds like Gay could be out for at least half the season… possibly longer. 

41 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

So Matt Gay admits he had surgery but Steichen is too scared to tell us. I will remember to fear the worst everytime Steichen doesn't comment on an injury from now on.

I think he was respecting the player and letting the player say it. Nothing wrong with it/

26 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Has anyone clarified when he had surgery?

After the bengals game.

37 minutes ago, Hoose said:

If you Google the recovery time for this kind of surgery for an athlete, it’s a 6-12 week recovery period though retearing it is a legit possibility if returning too early. Sounds like Gay could be out for at least half the season… possibly longer. 

I remember when Parris Campbell had this happen. He missed 3 or 4 weeks. Steichen said it’s nothing long term.

47 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

That’s not good.

A5F4B5B6-639C-4C48-B832-74D1C33313A1.jpeg

Yeah, I don't know why they wouldn't just put him on IR for four weeks. There's no way he can be ready to kick this weekend, and probably not any time soon.