Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8-20 Bengals colts joint practice

Here's some perspective from a Bengals fan:

"

Significant-Green130

•6h ago

Bengals fan here: the joint practices mean absolutely nothing and it's not worth caring much beyond hopefully the players learning something from whatever they're doing wrong. They're practicing on a new field after travelling, no gameplanning, just trying not to get hurt, etc. The same exact thing happened last week to us when we went to Chicago, and then the starters for the Bears barely outplayed our 2nd and 3rd stringers in the actual game (which was, again, also meaningless)."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colts/comments/1ex4vfy/this_might_be_the_worst_colts_offensive_practice/

Just offering some perspective here.   I'm looking forward to a competitive game Thursday.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It just mimics every preseason for years now. We look rusty and unprepared in practice. People say "It's just practice". Week 1 rolls around and hey apparently it wasn't just practice - we really weren't prepared.

I hope we come out guns blazing week 1, but I've just read too much of this during preseasons for me to not be worried.

Then they say it's just week 1. Have patience with AR, this is essentially still his rookie year, they will say. 

I remember how horrible Matt Ryan looked in preseason; it turns out it was a prelude of things to come. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

These joint practices are meaningless. Just play the Thursday game and see who wins. When we had Peyton, we would go 0-4 in a lot of years in preseason. Then win 12+ every season. Peyton even played in preseason a little.

FWIW:  in these last few years that teams agreed to run these mid-week joint practices all I read is that coaches think these are far more important than the actual pre-season games.  They love them.   They like the controlled atmosphere.  They think they get better practices going against other teams even when things get chippy.   

So for me, the only thing I ever really care about in the pre-season is not the wins and losses, it’s players getting hurt.  I realize everyone is different.

Offered as food for thought…..

• Like 8

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Regarding how the board is going to blow up if...

There is a loser mentality that prevails here, from supposedly "Colts fans".

You're "winning" mentality has been crucial to the success of the team, and the development of this board. Thank you for your service.

• Like 2

These overreactions are insane. So if AR comes out Thursday and kills the Bengals like Caleb did, does that silent the naysayers? No and it shouldn't because it's flipping preseason. It's a damn practice for God sake

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

These overreactions are insane. So if AR comes out Thursday and kills the Bengals like Caleb did, does that silent the naysayers? No and it shouldn't because it's flipping preseason. It's a damn practice for God sake

Also some players look better in practice situations and worse in actual games and vice versa.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The true overreaction here is when a couple of people say they are concerned about a particular position group or that the Colts might start the season slowly again and others get their panties in a wad, "You're giving up on the whole season!" 

And this is in a season when most people are looking for improvement but not expecting a championship-level team. With that being the case, why wouldn't there be a position group or two to be concerned about? Why wouldn't there be some concern that they might get off to a slow start with a young QB and a young secondary? 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The true overreaction here is when a couple of people say they are concerned about a particular position group or that the Colts might start the season slowly again and others get their panties in a wad, "You're giving up on the whole season!" 

And this is in a season when most people are looking for improvement but not expecting a championship-level team. With that being the case, why wouldn't there be a position group or two to be concerned about? Why wouldn't there be some concern that they might get off to a slow start with a young QB and a young secondary? 

Overreact when the game actually matters not when we're talking about practice. Hi Allen Iverson 

1 minute ago, ADnum1 said:

I look at this as ARs rookie season.

If I see good progress throughout the season I'll be happy even if we don't make the playoffs 

yep. 
My AR checklist 

-does he stay healthy/protect himself? 
-does he make the big plays that he’s capable of/hyped up to make?

-does he lead/communicate well? 
-what does he look like late in games and does he flash any consistent signs of having a clutch/closing mentality? 
-does he get better over the season? 

that’s pretty much it. Nothing of him leading us to the playoffs, make pro bowl, put up big numbers. Just does he grow and show the signs that I want to see? Anything in addition to that, and we’ll know we have our guy and are heading in the right direction. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Yeah yeah, same song we've heard every year since 2013 when we won the last game week 1...

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Yeah yeah, same song we've heard every year since 2013 when we won the last game week 1...

Ok. If you're so confident you can build or coach an NFL team, go ask the colts for a job 😂

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok. If you're so confident you can build or coach an NFL team, go ask the colts for a job 😂

I don't have to build or coach a NFL team to know what they've been doing for 8+ years isn't working. I just have to look at the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Overreact when the game actually matters not when we're talking about practice. Hi Allen Iverson 

So, am I wrong in thinking Latu is going to be really good since we've only seen him in practices and preseason games? 

5 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

So, am I wrong in thinking Latu is going to be really good since we've only seen him in practices and preseason games? 

Like I've said before not too high not too low

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't have to build or coach a NFL team to know what they've been doing for 8+ years isn't working. I just have to look at the results.

With like 8 different QBs. Atleast we finally have some resemblance of stability 

It's wild that some of you seem to believe that people who have followed football for years can't get an idea of a team's strengths and weaknesses by watching practices. There usually will be some surprises as the season gets going (and fans like me who never been coaches will just be wrong on some things) but why even watch a team's practices if you can't learn anything by doing so? Or is it just some unwritten law that fans should share only positive observations from practices? It's really interesting to go to a college or pro practice with someone who's been a long-time coach even at the high school level and hear their observations from watching scrimmages and even drills. 

• Like 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

It's wild that some of you seem to believe that people who have followed football for years can't get an idea of a team's strengths and weaknesses by watching practices. There usually will be some surprises as the season gets going (and fans like me who never been coaches will just be wrong on some things) but why even watch a team's practices if you can't learn anything by doing so? Or is it just some unwritten law that fans should share only positive observations from practices? It's really interesting to go to a college or pro practice with someone who's been a long-time coach even at the high school level and hear their observations from watching scrimmages and even drills. 

Practice isn't the whole story. You can't simulate real game situations. You can try to practice it, but it's not the same when the real bullets are flying. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Practice isn't the whole story. You can't simulate real game situations. You can try to practice it, but it's not the same when the real bullets are flying. 

And any particular game isn't the whole story, either. Practice is a piece of the story. Why can't we learn from each piece of the story? Do we need to wait until the end of the season to speculate on the team's strengths and weaknesses? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

And any particular game isn't the whole story, either. Practice is a piece of the story. Why can't we learn from each piece of the story? Do we need to wait until the end of the season to speculate on the team's strengths and weaknesses? 

To get a full grasp of the teams needs, yes. There are always teams that exceed exceptions that we never excepted to as good as they were. Perfect example are the lions from last year. Did you have them going to the NFC Championship game and almost to the super bowl? Could you have predicted that from watching a few practices?

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You can blame your boy Andrew Luck for quiting a week before the season started. That created the void at QB which many teams struggle to fill for years.You don't win in the QB driven NFL without a quality QB.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think this is a massive fan misunderstanding. We all know about AI's quote because hes the only person saying practice doesnt matter (also a different sport). Lets not forget that every snap from every player on every team is a job interview and we should believe that those snaps are irrelevant and arent a sign of ability?

image.png.2c56b599d70c09dc90b87588d027536f.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think this is a massive fan misunderstanding. We all know about AI's quote because hes the only person saying practice doesnt matter (also a different sport). Lets not forget that every snap from every player on every team is a job interview and we should believe that those snaps are irrelevant and arent a sign of ability?

image.png.2c56b599d70c09dc90b87588d027536f.png

Practice helps you honed your skills, but it's still not the same as the actual game

23 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Here's what they were saying.

This is a bit concerning . Deep down I bet most fans are concerned as well. I know it’s the Bengals defense and maybe they are just chirping to get in his head but hearing that he’s just a running quarterback and isn’t accurate…doesn’t sit well with me. Hopefully Richardson puts on a clinic tomorrow night.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

This is a bit concerning . Deep down I bet most fans are concerned as well. I know it’s the Bengals defense and maybe they are just chirping to get in his head but hearing that he’s just a running quarterback and isn’t accurate…doesn’t sit well with me. Hopefully Richardson puts on a clinic tomorrow night.

The Bengals have historically been a mouthy team. And time and time again it always comes back to bite them in the *. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

why even watch a team's practices if you can't learn anything by doing so?

Did anyone here actually watch these practices? Or are we all basing our opinion off of a handful of tweets?

43 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Bengals have historically been a mouthy team. And time and time again it always comes back to bite them in the *. 

The Bengals with Burrow have been to the Superbowl. 

And on the way they beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. 

How long before the Colts can achieve that ?

How long must Colts fans wait ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Well Mahomes is 0-2 vs us in the regular season 🤷

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

I see... Hang on a minute, image is coming... I see Adnum having to wait... Hang on here, it's a little fuzzy. Wait a minute, coming back. I see Adnum having to wait until they make the playoffs and win two or three games until they make the superbowl.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Only AFC team to beat Mahomes in the playoffs so far for years now. Feels like ages ago though…

• Like 1

With QB Browning, the Bengals tore up the Colts defense. Grover was missing but still they ran all over us. This preseason will tell alot if we have improved or even stand a chance with the Texans. First Half will tell the story.

• Like 1